Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    enough evidence for what? To ban the AR-15 or ban all guns?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,143
    mace1229 said:

enough evidence to support that civilians shouldn't be able to buy AR-15s.

It's being sold as a "sporting" weapon...it's not. It's an assault weapon built for war.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I think that is a reasonable statement. They can be easily modified.
    They make guns that look just like the AR-15, but internally have different components, function differently, hold different calibers and can't be modified easily or hold large magazines. That should be good enough as a "sporting" weapon without the real thing.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2016

mace1229 said:

It's being sold as a "sporting" weapon...it's not. It's an assault weapon built for war.
    So I built an AR-15 specifically for hunting wild hogs...not for war...unless you are talking about waging war on those damn 4-legged menaces. I chose that platform as it is lighter weight and easier to carry through the thick brush where I hunt and sometimes those bastards require quick follow up shots (if you've ever been charged by one, you would understand).
    I'm pretty sure the rifles the military uses are fully automatic and not semi-auto only (like the AR-15).
    There are many many semi-auto rifles out there in different platforms that fire at the exact same rate as AR-15s and have been used for hunting for years. Oh, I forgot, AR-15s "look scary".
    I would rather ban the toy replicas that encourage improper safe handling.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358
    edited May 2016
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/05/25/we-had-to-watch-my-sweet-beautiful-6-year-old-boy-take-his-last-breath-the-tragic-shooting-that-began-with-a-neighbors-unsecured-gun/?tid=sm_fb

It’s justice and it’s also awareness,” Brandon Holt’s mother added. “I just want everyone to know — just lock up your guns. Just lock up your guns.”
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    there are more deaths from legal and illegal drugs every year, a gun kills with a loud bang and drugs kill for the most part silently, something to think about while people are protesting guns while they're high on who knows what.

Godfather.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847

there are more deaths from legal and illegal drugs every year, a gun kills with a loud bang and drugs kill for the most part silently, something to think about while people are protesting guns while they're high on who knows what.

Godfather.

Nobody fears walking into a movie theater and having some guy start tossing cocaine into the air.

• Options
    Crap, now that's all I'll be thanking about the next time I'm watching a movie. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,752
    edited May 2016
    eddiec said:

Godfather.

Nobody fears walking into a movie theater and having some guy start tossing cocaine into the air.

:lol:
    That's funny, but is a very good point.
    I know that I wouldn't really have any issue with guns if people only used them to kill themselves by choice.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,389

The guy that designed the AR-15 (M-16) was interviewed on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show last night.

He can't believe that the AR-15 is available for public purchase.

That's enough evidence for me folks....should be for you too.

He designed the weapon for war. A $90 addition makes the AR-15 fully automatic.

Eugene Stoner also designed "sporting rifles" and described them as such.

Also the add on to make the weapon automatic is a felony. Why a legal gun owner would do that is beyond me.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,040
    edited May 2016

mace1229 said:

I own an ar 15. It s scary because it looks scary. Barely any crimes are committed with this rifle.
    However when I fire my m1 garand i shit my pants. This one weapon literally killed tens of thousands of nazis, japs, Chinese, North Koreans, nva and Vietcong. I can't imagine being hit by one of those bullets. It is a pure weapon of war. Crazy that everyone wants to ban an ar15 because they look scary but no one ever mentions the garand because they look pretty.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

mace1229 said:

By the way, what evidence do you have? I hate to quote the 2nd amendment and all.....and heller....
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

By the way, what evidence do you have? I hate to quote the 2nd amendment and all.....and heller....
    The circles this thread spins...

Yes, you can quote the 2nd amendment and the heller case. Just as we can say that no gun designed specifically for military use in warfare should be released for public sale. That doesn't infringe upon your right to bear arms. You can still own guns.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

Yes, you can quote the 2nd amendment and the heller case. Just as we can say that no gun designed specifically for military use in warfare should be released for public sale. That doesn't infringe upon your right to bear arms. You can still own guns.
    But there are military guns released for public sales. The ar 15 is not one of them. Why go after this gun? It accounts to minuscule deaths..., is it because it s scary looking? Be honest.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

But there are military guns released for public sales. The ar 15 is not one of them. Why go after this gun? It accounts to minuscule deaths..., is it because it s scary looking? Be honest.
    Are you kidding?

You haven't seen enough of its capacity to wreak havoc and death that you're willing to tolerate another f**king elementary school shooting... or movie theatre shooting... or mall shooting as some maniac expresses his rage with it?

Come on Scruffy.

There's simply no need for a weapon like this in the hands of the average, everyday common citizen.

None. Other than to let the average, everyday common citizen have a fancy gun to shoot shit with.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

It's got nothing to do with looks. That's just absurd. Look what that guns did in Sandy hook and tell me it doesn't just tear human flesh to pieces. I don't really care how many deaths it accounts for. It's not designed for civilian use.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

I own an ar 15. It s scary because it looks scary. Barely any crimes are committed with this rifle.
    However when I fire my m1 garand i shit my pants. This one weapon literally killed tens of thousands of nazis, japs, Chinese, North Koreans, nva and Vietcong. I can't imagine being hit by one of those bullets. It is a pure weapon of war. Crazy that everyone wants to ban an ar15 because they look scary but no one ever mentions the garand because they look pretty.
    It's not just because it looks scary, you would have a pretty difficult time sneaking a Garand into a movie theater to mow people down indiscriminately, and you wouldn't have a fore grip and huge magazine for greatest terrorist effect either.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

Godfather.

:lol:
    That's funny, but is a very good point.
    I know that I wouldn't really have any issue with guns if people only used them to kill themselves by choice.
    the number of suicides by gun I believe actually does out-number violent gun deaths, I was just reading some stuff on the interweb that had some pretty interesting facts.

Godfather.

• Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

Are you kidding?

You haven't seen enough of its capacity to wreak havoc and death that you're willing to tolerate another f**king elementary school shooting... or movie theatre shooting... or mall shooting as some maniac expresses his rage with it?

Come on Scruffy.

There's simply no need for a weapon like this in the hands of the average, everyday common citizen.

None. Other than to let the average, everyday common citizen have a fancy gun to shoot shit with.
    I do enjoy shooting shit with my fancy gun. When are you coming to the range with me?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

Are you kidding?

Come on Scruffy.

I do enjoy shooting shit with my fancy gun. When are you coming to the range with me?
    Lol

As soon as I can get my ass down there.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

mace1229 said:

So I built an AR-15 specifically for hunting wild hogs...not for war...unless you are talking about waging war on those damn 4-legged menaces. I chose that platform as it is lighter weight and easier to carry through the thick brush where I hunt and sometimes those bastards require quick follow up shots (if you've ever been charged by one, you would understand).
    I'm pretty sure the rifles the military uses are fully automatic and not semi-auto only (like the AR-15).
    There are many many semi-auto rifles out there in different platforms that fire at the exact same rate as AR-15s and have been used for hunting for years. Oh, I forgot, AR-15s "look scary".
    get a shotgun. In my world you wouldn't have an AR-15

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

The guy that designed the AR-15 (M-16) was interviewed on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show last night.

He can't believe that the AR-15 is available for public purchase.

That's enough evidence for me folks....should be for you too.

He designed the weapon for war. A $90 addition makes the AR-15 fully automatic.

Eugene Stoner also designed "sporting rifles" and described them as such.

Also the add on to make the weapon automatic is a felony. Why a legal gun owner would do that is beyond me.

Right....but someone wanting to use it for mass murder won't follow the law

So why is the modded stock even available?

At least by banning the weapon we make it more difficult to obtain.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

mace1229 said:

Lol, shotgun just pisses them off. Even buck shot will sometimes bounce off them. I load my own ammo specifically for the game I'm hunting... Just like I would not use a rifle for quail, I don't use a shotgun for wild pigs.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

Because it's an assault weapon. The maker even states that it shouldn't be for public use or sale.

You disagree....that's fine.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

mace1229 said:

Lol, shotgun just pisses them off. Even buck shot will sometimes bounce off them. I load my own ammo specifically for the game I'm hunting... Just like I would not use a rifle for quail, I don't use a shotgun for wild pigs.
    I d love to go hog hunting again. Is texas really over run by then?
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mace1229 said:

Are you kidding?

Come on Scruffy.

Lol

As soon as I can get my ass down there.
    I still don't get how you chose hawaii over New Jersey. I was actually insulted.
  • Options
    I saw a real AK47 or what ever you call it at a gun shop for $26,000 and was told that the real ones are very hard to get ahold of and the people that have them wont sell them easily, have any of you heard of this ?

Godfather.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I don't know what he means by "real"? The first generation created by the Russians in the late 40s? Even then I doubt it is near that much. They are cheap because millions have been made, how else would so many small arms rebels around the world get such a supply of them? I believe it's one of the most, if not the most manufactured gun world wide.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I don't know what he means by "real"? The first generation created by the Russians in the late 40s? Even then I doubt it is near that much. They are cheap because millions have been made, how else would so many small arms rebels around the world get such a supply of them? I believe it's one of the most, if not the most manufactured gun world wide.

ummmmmm I'm sorry maybe it was another rifle, but there was no mistaking the price tag and it was that kind of rifle I was looking at, forgive my weapons ignorance I was just curious if you had seen or heard such a thing.

Godfather.

• Options

mace1229 said:

ummmmmm I'm sorry maybe it was another rifle, but there was no mistaking the price tag and it was that kind of rifle I was looking at, forgive my weapons ignorance I was just curious if you had seen or heard such a thing.

Godfather.

Probably a stg 44. It s an assault weapon made by the nazis in ww2. I m saving up for the .22 lr version. Sick gun.
This discussion has been closed.