Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

Bottom line: more guns equals more deaths by guns.

The US has the most guns per capita by far... and correspondingly... more gun deaths by far.

Per capita of course (on edit).

That is interesting. The fact that there are millions of guns in TX means that every city should have a higher rate of gun deaths than Chicago, Detroit, other places where gun rights are restricted...right? Gun shows should be bloodbaths because there are a ton of guns there, right?
    Wonder what the correlation is to the rise in violent media access and acceptance? Seems like desensitization may have a more direct correlation. How has the graphically violent media changed over the past few decades?
    I know there have been plenty of studies done showing how there is a correlation with children entering puberty faster due to the easy access of explicit material. It would make sense that access to graphic violenct imagery is changing the brain of this generation as well.
    If your last statement is true... then it would be true in other countries as well; however, other countries- outside of impoverished, relatively lawless, war shows- don't even come remotely close to the US for the deaths by firearms.

You've got a gun problem. Are you denying this?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,116
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

rssesq said:
    Once again you're a disappointment counselor. 2 references to the Rothschilds and yet nothing about Dershowitz, the Federal Reserve Board, or the 4 of 9.

You c
    i_lov_it said:

And is it the Guns fault that someone got Murdered or the Murderer's fault?

Guns don't kill people

Gun owners do
    Everyone is a responsible gun owners, until they're not.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    I don't understand why assault rifles and specifically the AR-15 keeps being targeted. All assault rifles make up a very small portion of gun violence, less than 1% I believe (or very close to it anyway). They are the most publicized deaths because they are used in the mass shootings more often-which I guess answer my question above, but still only make up a small percentage,
    So if all these restrictions and bans work perfectly, and even ban assault rifles completely. And even if the crazy loon who would decide to shoot up a school or theater changes his life because of said ban and decides to be a peaceful member of society since he can't get his hands on an AR-15 he instead volunteers at the children's hospital and the ban has a greater impact than ever imagined with no more deaths occur due to an assault rife, you've only solved less than 1% of the problem.
    So all of these bans on guns that have the capability to hold a grenade launcher (where do you even buy a grenade launcher anyway, let alone the grenades?), pistol grips and other non-lethal aspects of an assault rife have done virtually nothing in terms of reducing gun violence . And yes, I consider the capability of a rife to attach a grenade launcher to it non-lethal because the grenade launcher themselves are illegal and I have yet to hear of a shooting involving a grenade launcher-but instead a gun collector who wants a WWI or WWII relic can't in many states because that rife used a grenade launcher attachment).
    Weather intended to or not, many current gun restrictions target lawful gun owners. Lets maybe build up task forces to target gangs and create harsher penalties of illegal gun owners and get guns away from street thugs to solve the 99% of the problem before we worry about the remaining 1%.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I don't understand why assault rifles and specifically the AR-15 keeps being targeted. All assault rifles make up a very small portion of gun violence, less than 1% I believe (or very close to it anyway). They are the most publicized deaths because they are used in the mass shootings more often-which I guess answer my question above, but still only make up a small percentage,
    So if all these restrictions and bans work perfectly, and even ban assault rifles completely. And even if the crazy loon who would decide to shoot up a school or theater changes his life because of said ban and decides to be a peaceful member of society since he can't get his hands on an AR-15 he instead volunteers at the children's hospital and the ban has a greater impact than ever imagined with no more deaths occur due to an assault rife, you've only solved less than 1% of the problem.
    So all of these bans on guns that have the capability to hold a grenade launcher (where do you even buy a grenade launcher anyway, let alone the grenades?), pistol grips and other non-lethal aspects of an assault rife have done virtually nothing in terms of reducing gun violence . And yes, I consider the capability of a rife to attach a grenade launcher to it non-lethal because the grenade launcher themselves are illegal and I have yet to hear of a shooting involving a grenade launcher-but instead a gun collector who wants a WWI or WWII relic can't in many states because that rife used a grenade launcher attachment).
    Weather intended to or not, many current gun restrictions target lawful gun owners. Lets maybe build up task forces to target gangs and create harsher penalties of illegal gun owners and get guns away from street thugs to solve the 99% of the problem before we worry about the remaining 1%.

You seem to answer your own argument.

Assault weapons are made to do massive damage. They also carry very high magazine capacity. Both of those characteristics are brutal when someone decides to snap.

I don't know the specifics but it seems like several shooters have been taken out when they are reloading. More reloading = less death.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042

mace1229 said:

You seem to answer your own argument.

Assault weapons are made to do massive damage. They also carry very high magazine capacity. Both of those characteristics are brutal when someone decides to snap.

I don't know the specifics but it seems like several shooters have been taken out when they are reloading. More reloading = less death.

I've said previously I support limitations on magazines, certain types of ammo, things like that, etc. And yes, even though mass shootings usually include an assault rifle, it still is only 1% or so. I don't think that answers my question, unless everyone only cares about solving the publicized violence-which I doubt is the case. Why are assault rifles the target so much of the time (yes, they CAN cause more damage, but in reality they are far less used in shootings).
    You wouldn't suggest building up a wall around Maine to solve immigration.
  • Options
    To me getting assault weapons removed from the public is step one. Step two would be stronger background checks. Step three would be registration.

People have to register their vehicles/motorcycles/snowmobiles, etc. Registering guns is not a violation of the 2nd amendment since it clearing states "well regulated."

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2016

PJPOWER said:

The US has the most guns per capita by far... and correspondingly... more gun deaths by far.

That is interesting. The fact that there are millions of guns in TX means that every city should have a higher rate of gun deaths than Chicago, Detroit, other places where gun rights are restricted...right? Gun shows should be bloodbaths because there are a ton of guns there, right?
    Wonder what the correlation is to the rise in violent media access and acceptance? Seems like desensitization may have a more direct correlation. How has the graphically violent media changed over the past few decades?
    I know there have been plenty of studies done showing how there is a correlation with children entering puberty faster due to the easy access of explicit material. It would make sense that access to graphic violenct imagery is changing the brain of this generation as well.
    If your last statement is true... then it would be true in other countries as well; however, other countries- outside of impoverished, relatively lawless, war shows- don't even come remotely close to the US for the deaths by firearms.

How do their systems of education and media compare? Serious question as I truly have not traveled abroad much. Sounds like impoverishment and lawlessness may be contributing factors. I would add that depression, anxiety, violent media, gang culture, poor parenting skills have more effect on murder rates and suicides than simply owning a firearm. Maybe other countries are doing something right in those categories?
    I'll agree that the gun industry has gone crazy over the past few years and feel that our "leader's" approach to the issue is somewhat to blame. All that has been accomplished by the notion of tighter regulations is more gun sales. Less stigma associated with mental health issues, more crack down of gangs, proper parenting and discipline, better education systems would all assist in curbing violence.
    Are deaths by firearms in situations of self/home defense factored into your statistics of "firearm deaths" or are you just talking about mass shootings? I welcome higher rates of gun deaths if it means more people are protecting themselves from burglars/rapists and the like. These "statistics" that are always thrown out are nearly always scewed one way or another...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,289

To me getting assault weapons removed from the public is step one. Step two would be stronger background checks. Step three would be registration.

People have to register their vehicles/motorcycles/snowmobiles, etc. Registering guns is not a violation of the 2nd amendment since it clearing states "well regulated."

define "well regulated" in 1780.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

i_lov_it said:

The murderer's fault 100%.

But because we know people suck... let's try and limit the amount of sucking. Don't ya think?

Have we seen the last mass murder where some shitbagger uses an ar15 to rapidly shoot a ton of people? You know... the gun who's very designer has said it was designed for military use? Every time one occurs... the same lame arguments will get trotted out and once again... the whole world will sit there saying to themselves, "Wow. How f**king stupid can you be?"

In the event you're feeling homicidal... I actually saw them in sale at a Big 5 Sporting Goods in Washington. No shit. 20% off (likely due to a manufacturer's incentive- come on retailers... sell our tools of death).

Yee Haw!
    Don't get me wrong I have a problem with Guns...and yeah some People suck but Guns or not they're going to suck right?...and also I'm sure if someone is feeling Homicidal it's not going to make a difference whether there's a Gun around or not.
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:

i_lov_it said:

The murderer's fault 100%.

But because we know people suck... let's try and limit the amount of sucking. Don't ya think?

Have we seen the last mass murder where some shitbagger uses an ar15 to rapidly shoot a ton of people? You know... the gun who's very designer has said it was designed for military use? Every time one occurs... the same lame arguments will get trotted out and once again... the whole world will sit there saying to themselves, "Wow. How f**king stupid can you be?"

In the event you're feeling homicidal... I actually saw them in sale at a Big 5 Sporting Goods in Washington. No shit. 20% off (likely due to a manufacturer's incentive- come on retailers... sell our tools of death).

Yee Haw!
    Don't get me wrong I have a problem with Guns...and yeah some People suck but Guns or not they're going to suck right?...and also I'm sure if someone is feeling Homicidal it's not going to make a difference whether there's a Gun around or not.
    And I'm not attacking you.

I'm saying we should limit the capacity for carnage. I'm not saying get rid of all guns... I'm saying let's get rid of the guns that truly have no practical use and make handguns challenging to get.

You could grandfather all guns in existence with a registry. If someone acting poorly has a gun that could become dangerous... we could take it from them before they feel the temptation to use it.

Whatever could be done... won't be done. Gun nuts don't need to worry. Their 'precious' (Gollum accentuation) is going nowhere soon. Sooo... common sense gun reform advocates can go pound sand- the inmates run the asylum, f**kers!
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

define "arms" in 1780

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

How do their systems of education and media compare? Serious question as I truly have not traveled abroad much. Sounds like impoverishment and lawlessness may be contributing factors. I would add that depression, anxiety, violent media, gang culture, poor parenting skills have more effect on murder rates and suicides than simply owning a firearm. Maybe other countries are doing something right in those categories?
    I'll agree that the gun industry has gone crazy over the past few years and feel that our "leader's" approach to the issue is somewhat to blame. All that has been accomplished by the notion of tighter regulations is more gun sales. Less stigma associated with mental health issues, more crack down of gangs, proper parenting and discipline, better education systems would all assist in curbing violence.
    Are deaths by firearms in situations of self/home defense factored into your statistics of "firearm deaths" or are you just talking about mass shootings? I welcome higher rates of gun deaths if it means more people are protecting themselves from burglars/rapists and the like. These "statistics" that are always thrown out are nearly always scewed one way or another...
    In my opinion, the one variable that differs between the US and other developed countries that complicates the gun problem is the disparity between rich and poor.

The US seems to have a 'dog eat dog' attitude where many people resist social programs that might have the chance to help those that struggle due to their circumstances. I don't want to hear someone say that a black kid born in the poor side of Chicago has just as much chance as a white kid born in, say, Wenatchee, WA.

Take care of your people. Heal them with decent medical programs and educate them with a quality public education system. That's going to mean money and, ultimately, taxes (seemingly a dirty word for Americans).

If people feel as if they are meaningful... I think they are less likely to develop animosity, feel hopeless, and resort to killing others.

Oh yeah... legalize drugs and remove those homicides from the equation.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,019

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

In my opinion, the one variable that differs between the US and other developed countries that complicates the gun problem is the disparity between rich and poor.

The US seems to have a 'dog eat dog' attitude where many people resist social programs that might have the chance to help those that struggle due to their circumstances. I don't want to hear someone say that a black kid born in the poor side of Chicago has just as much chance as a white kid born in, say, Wenatchee, WA.

Take care of your people. Heal them with decent medical programs and educate them with a quality public education system. That's going to mean money and, ultimately, taxes (seemingly a dirty word for Americans).

If people feel as if they are meaningful... I think they are less likely to develop animosity, feel hopeless, and resort to killing others.

amen dirty. that's some good stuff right there.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,737

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Absolutely.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

amen dirty. that's some good stuff right there.
    Cheers, Scruffy!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,289

mickeyrat said:

define "arms" in 1780
    To begin, I am on the side of rational reasonable control while still repspecting our founding document. I am earnest in asking for that particular definition. Frankly the second has been truncated to exclude this all inportant preface to the 2nd.
    The "well regulated:" must be seen in the definition of the times , arms arguably as a defintion isnt all that different today than it was then. Well regulated on the other hand or just regulated for that matter can be seen differently. So to have the discussion, its important that all are operating from the same understanding of terms to properly debate , no?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Oh yeah, when is the last time you spoke to or knew anything about that poor kid in Chicago you mentioned? Trust me, they could care less on what you think is best for them let alone how a kid is brought up in Wenatchee WA. When will tax paying society realize that the inner city "poor Black kid" doesn't want to be changed and loves their environment. Ever hear the term "keeping it real"?

I am all about legalizing some drugs, but the hard drugs cannot ever be legalized
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Oh yeah, when is the last time you spoke to or knew anything about that poor kid in Chicago you mentioned? Trust me, they could care less on what you think is best for them let alone how a kid is brought up in Wenatchee WA. When will tax paying society realize that the inner city "poor Black kid" doesn't want to be changed and loves their environment. Ever hear the term "keeping it real"?

I am all about legalizing some drugs, but the hard drugs cannot ever be legalized
    Why not? Counties that have legalized or decriminalized "hard" drugs have seen significant improvements in public health outcomes, like fewer overdose deaths and reduced tranamission of infectious disease, as well as reduced crime rates.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,846
    muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

That's because the education system is broken down. Lack of education=bad decisions. Thirty mentioned that in his post that a better education system is needed.
  • Options
    muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

I haven't talked to any poor kid in Chicago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that without a decent upbringing, a kid stands a slim chance at best for 'making it'. Are you trying to tell me that there are tons of opportunities for the youth sector in the poorer sections of Chicago? Are you trying to tell me that Saturdays in Chicago look like Saturdays in Wenatchee - mini vans at soccer fields with nuclear families watching young children chase a soccer ball around... followed by a trip to the ice cream parlor?

Poor housing, poor paying jobs, not a lot of poor paying jobs, poor youth programs, poor recreational opportunities, rampant violence that has established itself as the norm given the aforementioned conditions, broken families as a result of the rampant violence...

What's left? The situation I picture- given your descriptions that you seem to be denying at the moment- parallels the opportunities Mexico offers its youth: go work for nothing in agriculture, resorts, or, say, the police department or military... or go work for a cartel where chicks, cars, drugs, parties, and all those fun things await a guy.

Incredulously, you're like the guy that kicks a kitten everytime you see it... and then curse it when it hisses at you- wondering what it's problem is. You can't be so daft to ignore the fact that the entire country is complicit in the conditions you deplore. The problem is not a result of a demographic of people simple inclined to be that way as you consistently suggest.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

I haven't talked to any poor kid in Chicago. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that without a decent upbringing, a kid stands a slim chance at best for 'making it'. Are you trying to tell me that there are tons of opportunities for the youth sector in the poorer sections of Chicago? Are you trying to tell me that Saturdays in Chicago look like Saturdays in Wenatchee - mini vans at soccer fields with nuclear families watching young children chase a soccer ball around... followed by a trip to the ice cream parlor?

Poor housing, poor paying jobs, not a lot of poor paying jobs, poor youth programs, poor recreational opportunities, rampant violence that has established itself as the norm given the aforementioned conditions, broken families as a result of the rampant violence...

What's left? The situation I picture- given your descriptions that you seem to be denying at the moment- parallels the opportunities Mexico offers its youth: go work for nothing in agriculture, resorts, or, say, the police department or military... or go work for a cartel where chicks, cars, drugs, parties, and all those fun things await a guy.

Incredulously, you're like the guy that kicks a kitten everytime you see it... and then curse it when it hisses at you- wondering what it's problem is. You can't be so daft to ignore the fact that the entire country is complicit in the conditions you deplore. The problem is not a result of a demographic of people simple inclined to be that way as you consistently suggest.
    It was my understanding that there would be no dictionaries needed in this discussion. I kid.

Well said.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options

muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

It was my understanding that there would be no dictionaries needed in this discussion. I kid.

Well said.
    Lol.

Sorry. I go too far sometimes trying to sound really 'fancy' (like an AR15 Scruffy... lol).
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited May 2016
    mickeyrat said:

callen said:

mickeyrat said:

so a license and a car are a right? is that right? musta missed that in reading the bill of rights.

The right to not have another human being impede on your freedom! Being able to force you to do something. Take your time. Resources And that of the police. Directed by government, politicians!

The government and police indirectly directed by the people.

Man, Callen... you talk of living in fear... yet here you oppose routine traffic stops that are placed with the safety of the general public in mind.

If they start stopping cars to discover your political affiliations... let us know and we can have a discussion. Right now... they are trying to make a presence to deter drunks from killing our children- hardly something to frown upon.
    then sell your car callen. be free from government overreach and tyranny.
    mace1229 said:

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

mace1229 said:

F**k.

Alcohol kills people at times. This is true. Fat kills people too. So does a sedentary lifestyle. Don't forget the f**king sun too- bastard star that strikes us with cancer. And cars... the big comparison for gun strokers.

Big f**king deal. None of the above items have been designed for the purpose of killing things. Every death that results from the discharge of a firearm marks an event where the gun- as a tool- has performed admirably and served its purpose exactly as designed.

Stop trying to weakly validate guns and their rightful place in society by comparing them to esophagus sized wieners that people choke on and the like. If gun lovers would just say, "F**k you guys. I f**king love my military style assault rifle and shooting the shit out of my empty beer cans up at the landfill. You'll have to pry my 'fancy' gun from my cold dead hands before I give up shooting beer cans at the landfill... f**kers"... I'd have more respect.

Stop trying to convince intelligent people that there is a reasonable argument. There is not. It's not even close. It's not even remotely close. But as I said... most people aren't very smart and most people are very selfish: gun lovers do not need to fear having their guns taken from them. Instead, they can continue to fear hostile governments with devious plans and home invaders that are plotting an invasion of their home likely at this minute.

In my first post I said I wasn't trying to win anyone over. And I did say I shoot oranges and apples that are rotting at my parents orchard and hope to never shoot at anything else. More fun than empty beer cans, and it even helps with the compost.

I was merely pointing out all the attention that guns receive and a major topic at every debate. Why not spend some of that focus on something that kills even more, like drunk driving? Alcohol may not be designed to kill, but more innocent children die from drunk drivers than as a result from a homicide where a gun was used regardless of that fact. Alcohol is designed to impair judgment, and every time someone gets into a car and kills a 5 year old child because they were drunk and couldn't make the right judgment, the alcohol "has performed admirably and served its purpose exactly as designed." What difference does the purpose make? I think a ban on alcohol is extreme, but when was the last time you heard any politician talk about reducing DUI's? But they can't talk for 5 minutes without bringing up guns.

We can agree on one thing at least....That Bastard Star of ours!
    When people see a DUI checkpoint most people are glad the law is being enforced (except for the idiot who had too many and decided to drive).

If police enforced gun laws like they do alcohol laws people would bitch that they are trying to take their guns away.

And Most people are sheep. I don't want to live in a police state and NO human has the right to impead my travels on public lands.
    Are you serious? So you're against random checkpoints in high DUI areas? That's far from living in a police state.

And yes, the police do have the right to impede your travel if you are driving by car. A license isn't a right.
    Are you serious about living in a place where the police can stop you at anytime and fuck with you??? REALLY? Like in China and North Korea?

Cops pull everyone over Into a Church parking lot, file them through check point. Herding the sheep. And many just say bahhhhhh.

Fk that.

and the dwi thing so many are willing to give up their liberty, there's already an avenue, .."probable cause".

............fk imagine being a minority in fkn South Carolina coming up to a road block.

I've never said racism doesn't still exist, especially in my,state. I've never been through a checkpoint and been "herded" through a parking lot. Every single time ive been through one, the entire process took no more than 5 minutes. Seems like a small price to pay in an effort to decrease DUIs. But what do I know? I've only been a fireman for 13 years. I guess I haven't seen enough death yet directly caused by impaired driving.
    Horrible price to pay. Giving up your rights as a free human.
    I don't see how this is giving up a right. Driving is not a right, it requires a license. That also requires time, going to the DMV, paperwork, etc. Is giving yup an afternoon to go to the DMV taking away your human rights too? In many states by having a driver's license you are granting permission to perform alcohol tests. I have never even been asked to exit my vehicle when at a DUI checkpoint.
    They simply ask 1 or 2 questions and wave me on. And as others have pointed out if you don't wish to agree to that, no one is forcing you to drive.
    You don't see because you aren't seeing g the real problem. And are willing to give up your rights so easily.

This had nothing to do with DWI's. This has nothing to do with licenses or what society deems necessary prior to allowing someone to drive 2 tons of steal at 70MPH.

This has to do with being okay with the government to stop you and detain you for no reason. To allow yourself to be arrested. Fuck that.

Think people think.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

eddiec said:

there are more deaths from legal and illegal drugs every year, a gun kills with a loud bang and drugs kill for the most part silently, something to think about while people are protesting guns while they're high on who knows what.

Godfather.

Nobody fears walking into a movie theater and having some guy start tossing cocaine into the air.

:lol:
    That's funny, but is a very good point.
    I know that I wouldn't really have any issue with guns if people only used them to kill themselves by choice.
    the number of suicides by gun I believe actually does out-number violent gun deaths, I was just reading some stuff on the interweb that had some pretty interesting facts.

Godfather.

I'm sure it does. It's not a statistic that I care about (in this specific context I mean). If someone wants to kill themselves, there are all kinds of ways for them to do it. If they didn't have a gun they'd most likely do something else. Or not. The main point is, as sad as suicide is, and as much as support is needed for the mentally ill, my issues ALL have to do with how guns are used by someone against others, so gun suicides just aren't something I feel the need to consider with this issue.
    It is my belief that gun makes suicide much easier. So if no guns less suicide. I realize I have nothing to back up my claim. I also believe murder suicides would be less without guns.

But fk all that want to shoot pigs and other shit with my penile extender. SO leave my guns alone!

Watched episode of Family Guy with Peter joining gun club. Pretty funny.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

mickeyrat said:

callen said:

mickeyrat said:

so a license and a car are a right? is that right? musta missed that in reading the bill of rights.

The right to not have another human being impede on your freedom! Being able to force you to do something. Take your time. Resources And that of the police. Directed by government, politicians!

The government and police indirectly directed by the people.

Man, Callen... you talk of living in fear... yet here you oppose routine traffic stops that are placed with the safety of the general public in mind.

If they start stopping cars to discover your political affiliations... let us know and we can have a discussion. Right now... they are trying to make a presence to deter drunks from killing our children- hardly something to frown upon.
    then sell your car callen. be free from government overreach and tyranny.
    mace1229 said:

callen said:

callen said:

callen said:

eddiec said:

mace1229 said:

F**k.

Alcohol kills people at times. This is true. Fat kills people too. So does a sedentary lifestyle. Don't forget the f**king sun too- bastard star that strikes us with cancer. And cars... the big comparison for gun strokers.

Big f**king deal. None of the above items have been designed for the purpose of killing things. Every death that results from the discharge of a firearm marks an event where the gun- as a tool- has performed admirably and served its purpose exactly as designed.

Stop trying to weakly validate guns and their rightful place in society by comparing them to esophagus sized wieners that people choke on and the like. If gun lovers would just say, "F**k you guys. I f**king love my military style assault rifle and shooting the shit out of my empty beer cans up at the landfill. You'll have to pry my 'fancy' gun from my cold dead hands before I give up shooting beer cans at the landfill... f**kers"... I'd have more respect.

Stop trying to convince intelligent people that there is a reasonable argument. There is not. It's not even close. It's not even remotely close. But as I said... most people aren't very smart and most people are very selfish: gun lovers do not need to fear having their guns taken from them. Instead, they can continue to fear hostile governments with devious plans and home invaders that are plotting an invasion of their home likely at this minute.

In my first post I said I wasn't trying to win anyone over. And I did say I shoot oranges and apples that are rotting at my parents orchard and hope to never shoot at anything else. More fun than empty beer cans, and it even helps with the compost.

I was merely pointing out all the attention that guns receive and a major topic at every debate. Why not spend some of that focus on something that kills even more, like drunk driving? Alcohol may not be designed to kill, but more innocent children die from drunk drivers than as a result from a homicide where a gun was used regardless of that fact. Alcohol is designed to impair judgment, and every time someone gets into a car and kills a 5 year old child because they were drunk and couldn't make the right judgment, the alcohol "has performed admirably and served its purpose exactly as designed." What difference does the purpose make? I think a ban on alcohol is extreme, but when was the last time you heard any politician talk about reducing DUI's? But they can't talk for 5 minutes without bringing up guns.

We can agree on one thing at least....That Bastard Star of ours!
    When people see a DUI checkpoint most people are glad the law is being enforced (except for the idiot who had too many and decided to drive).

If police enforced gun laws like they do alcohol laws people would bitch that they are trying to take their guns away.

And Most people are sheep. I don't want to live in a police state and NO human has the right to impead my travels on public lands.
    Are you serious? So you're against random checkpoints in high DUI areas? That's far from living in a police state.

And yes, the police do have the right to impede your travel if you are driving by car. A license isn't a right.
    Are you serious about living in a place where the police can stop you at anytime and fuck with you??? REALLY? Like in China and North Korea?

Cops pull everyone over Into a Church parking lot, file them through check point. Herding the sheep. And many just say bahhhhhh.

Fk that.

and the dwi thing so many are willing to give up their liberty, there's already an avenue, .."probable cause".

............fk imagine being a minority in fkn South Carolina coming up to a road block.

I've never said racism doesn't still exist, especially in my,state. I've never been through a checkpoint and been "herded" through a parking lot. Every single time ive been through one, the entire process took no more than 5 minutes. Seems like a small price to pay in an effort to decrease DUIs. But what do I know? I've only been a fireman for 13 years. I guess I haven't seen enough death yet directly caused by impaired driving.
    Horrible price to pay. Giving up your rights as a free human.
    I don't see how this is giving up a right. Driving is not a right, it requires a license. That also requires time, going to the DMV, paperwork, etc. Is giving yup an afternoon to go to the DMV taking away your human rights too? In many states by having a driver's license you are granting permission to perform alcohol tests. I have never even been asked to exit my vehicle when at a DUI checkpoint.
    They simply ask 1 or 2 questions and wave me on. And as others have pointed out if you don't wish to agree to that, no one is forcing you to drive.
    You don't see because you aren't seeing g the real problem. And are willing to give up your rights so easily.

This had nothing to do with DWI's. This has nothing to do with licenses or what society deems necessary prior to allowing someone to drive 2 tons of steal at 70MPH.

This has to do with being okay with the government to stop you and detain you for no reason. To allow yourself to be arrested. Fuck that.

Think people think.
    Except there is a reason. It's the same thing as having police in attendance at large events- a presence designed to curb illegal behaviours before they happen. Arresting drunk drivers after the fact means someone likely has died.

You'll not get arrested unless you deserve to be arrested.

Think Callen think.
  • Options

muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

Well said.
    Lol.

Sorry. I go too far sometimes trying to sound really 'fancy' (like an AR15 Scruffy... lol).
    Love my ar 15! Hopefully getting a new .22 soon. Maybe I ll start you with that when we go to the range.
    But you do make excellent points. Musky just seems very angry.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

Well said.
    Lol.

Love my ar 15! Hopefully getting a new .22 soon. Maybe I ll start you with that when we go to the range.
    I grew up with a .22. I want to fire that bad boy.

(Then I want to come on here and talk down to people who live firing their guns lol!)
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

Well said.
    Lol.

(Then I want to come on here and talk down to people who live firing their guns lol!)
    are semi auto .22 rifle's hard to get in canada?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

muskydan said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Musky...

Well said.
    Lol.

are semi auto .22 rifle's hard to get in canada?
    I'm thinking impossible given the 'semi automatic' description; but I'm not really the guy to ask- I'm out of the gun club, Scruffy.
This discussion has been closed.