Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    mace1229 said:
    I didn’t read it the first time because when I try to read a NYT articles it always asks me to subscribe. But trying again this one didn’t for some reason. 
    None of that article seems out of the norm though.
    One guy said he’s buying a gun because his neighbor has been threatening him, nothing to do with the virus. Asian-Americans are buying more guns because people are threatening them over this virus. Both se pretty legit reasons to me.
    Gun sales always go up when people think a Democrat might be elected. I don’t always agree with that, but that is completely “normal,” factor in the person Biden says he’ll put in charge has said “he’ll yes” he’ll take assault rifles away if he is in charge. So of course assault weapons sales go up. I’ve said before sometimes Democrats can be the best thing for gun manufactures. 
    And lastly, it does cite several cases of just fear of this virus, as mentioned in the leading sentence. That seems most reasonable of all. Things are already going crazy. It’s worse than when Popeyes ran out of their sandwich. And if people get that crazy over a chicken sandwich, imagine how it will get when people go a month without toilet paper and other basics. Compound that with little to no police force, yes, this has the potential to be very crazy. New Orleans after Katrina level of crazy. 
    If things really do get shut down for 4-8 weeks or even longer and if supplies are hard to come by, it has that potential. 
    I’m no saying it definitely will, but the level of chaos I saw on Costco 3 days ago, pushin  and shoving, everyone acting like they are a contestant on Supermarket Sweepstakes, imagine how they will behave in a month if things get worse and no better. I don’t think that is stupidity and paranoia. 
    Yeah Asian Americans should be afraid of the Baffoon followers after all he already gave them the ammo, remember China virus said by whom!
    China's state news is telling their people that the American army are the ones that infected China...which is bullshit. So I guess Trump's trying to counter that bullshit. That said, HE shouldn't be the one to call it that. Like you said, for the sake of Chinese Americans that might be targeted. But while it might be irresponsible, it's not really xenophobic to call it a Chinese virus considering it came from China, and the virus is THEIR FAULT because it either came from one of their disgusting, inhumane street markets, or some lab fuck-up. 

The liberal media was calling it both the "Chinese Virus" and the "Wuhan Virus" throughout January and into February. Then suddenly, they stopped, and began calling out Fox News for being xenophobic for using those terms. I wonder what changed? A desire to be "woke?" Directives from the Chinese government to stop calling it that? I could have my timeline wrong, but I think around the time that the liberal media stopped using it, was when China's state news began blaming America for it. 

Your heart's in the right place if you're concerned for Chinese Americans. But China itself and it's government? Fuck them. This is completely their fault, and now they're trying to blame America for it. I get it, Trump sucks. But I'd rather him stick up for America than side with China in a circumstance like this. 
    Well said. +1
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    mace1229 said:
    I didn’t read it the first time because when I try to read a NYT articles it always asks me to subscribe. But trying again this one didn’t for some reason. 
    One guy said he’s buying a gun because his neighbor has been threatening him, nothing to do with the virus. Asian-Americans are buying more guns because people are threatening them over this virus. Both se pretty legit reasons to me.
    Gun sales always go up when people think a Democrat might be elected. I don’t always agree with that, but that is completely “normal,” factor in the person Biden says he’ll put in charge has said “he’ll yes” he’ll take assault rifles away if he is in charge. So of course assault weapons sales go up. I’ve said before sometimes Democrats can be the best thing for gun manufactures. 
    And lastly, it does cite several cases of just fear of this virus, as mentioned in the leading sentence. That seems most reasonable of all. Things are already going crazy. It’s worse than when Popeyes ran out of their sandwich. And if people get that crazy over a chicken sandwich, imagine how it will get when people go a month without toilet paper and other basics. Compound that with little to no police force, yes, this has the potential to be very crazy. New Orleans after Katrina level of crazy. 
    If things really do get shut down for 4-8 weeks or even longer and if supplies are hard to come by, it has that potential. 
    I’m no saying it definitely will, but the level of chaos I saw on Costco 3 days ago, pushin  and shoving, everyone acting like they are a contestant on Supermarket Sweepstakes, imagine how they will behave in a month if things get worse and no better. I don’t think that is stupidity and paranoia. 
    Yeah Asian Americans should be afraid of the Baffoon followers after all he already gave them the ammo, remember China virus said by whom!
    China's state news is telling their people that the American army are the ones that infected China...which is bullshit. So I guess Trump's trying to counter that bullshit. That said, HE shouldn't be the one to call it that. Like you said, for the sake of Chinese Americans that might be targeted. But while it might be irresponsible, it's not really xenophobic to call it a Chinese virus considering it came from China, and the virus is THEIR FAULT because it either came from one of their disgusting, inhumane street markets, or some lab fuck-up. 

The liberal media was calling it both the "Chinese Virus" and the "Wuhan Virus" throughout January and into February. Then suddenly, they stopped, and began calling out Fox News for being xenophobic for using those terms. I wonder what changed? A desire to be "woke?" Directives from the Chinese government to stop calling it that? I could have my timeline wrong, but I think around the time that the liberal media stopped using it, was when China's state news began blaming America for it. 

Your heart's in the right place if you're concerned for Chinese Americans. But China itself and it's government? Fuck them. This is completely their fault, and now they're trying to blame America for it. I get it, Trump sucks. But I'd rather him stick up for America than side with China in a circumstance like this. 
    I guess we can refer to mad cow disease as "British Mad Cow or USA Mad Cow" disease seeing how it came from their disgusting, inhumane factory farming practices?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    mace1229 said:

I guess we can refer to mad cow disease as "British Mad Cow or USA Mad Cow" disease seeing how it came from their disgusting, inhumane factory farming practices?
    Yeah sure, have at it. 

Here's a good video detailing how viruses start in those Chinese markets. Check it out. It's pretty disgusting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Sounds good to me.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Yeah sure, have at it. 

Here's a good video detailing how viruses start in those Chinese markets. Check it out. It's pretty disgusting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Wow.  Thank you for posting. 
  • Options
    Right? Crazy video. I don’t blame the folks that work in the markets. What else can they do? I blame the government. 

What’d you think @Halifax2TheMax ?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    The only reason the Baffoon is playing the blame game is because he’s own administration has done a shit job on all fronts of this crisis! The president should be above this but not this dirt bag..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:

Maybe responsible media outlets stopped calling it the Wuhan virus once it had another name. The time is long past that there’s any justification  for calling it the Chinese virus other than to drum up fear and hatred. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Maybe responsible media outlets stopped calling it the Wuhan virus once it had another name. The time is long past that there’s any justification  for calling it the Chinese virus other than to drum up fear and hatred. 
    I don't necessarily disagree with that. But China's propaganda machine is telling their billion of citizens that we're the cause of it....to drum up fear and hatred. So from Trump's perspective, an eye-for-an-eye I guess. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mace1229 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with that. But China's propaganda machine is telling their billion of citizens that we're the cause of it....to drum up fear and hatred. So from Trump's perspective, an eye-for-an-eye I guess. 
    “An eye for an eye” is a stupid and infantile response that solves nothing. 

The audience for Trump’s comments have no idea what China’s state media are saying, so even the argument that this an attempt to counteract those claims, if they even exist, is weak. I suspect Trump also has no idea what China’s state media is reporting. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

The audience for Trump’s comments have no idea what China’s state media are saying, so even the argument that this an attempt to counteract those claims, if they even exist, is weak. I suspect Trump also has no idea what China’s state media is reporting. 
    Well he did say it himself, but whatever, I don't want be defending Trump because he's botched so much of this coronavirus stuff. I'm just saying I don't care if he or anyone else calls it the China virus. I don't encourage it, but I'm not against it. They caused this shit. They're blaming America for it. And speaking of their state-run news, they threatened a few weeks ago to withhold pharmaceutical imports and "plunge America into the mighty sea of Coronavirus." 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Well he did say it himself, but whatever, I don't want be defending Trump because he's botched so much of this coronavirus stuff. I'm just saying I don't care if he or anyone else calls it the China virus. I don't encourage it, but I'm not against it. They caused this shit. They're blaming America for it. And speaking of their state-run news, they threatened a few weeks ago to withhold pharmaceutical imports and "plunge America into the mighty sea of Coronavirus." 

Everything that has happened during this crisis is of our own incompetence and that starts with the president, I don’t give a flying fuck what China media is spewing it makes no difference to me you know what makes a difference having enough test kits for all citizens that will require them! 
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:

Everything that has happened during this crisis is of our own incompetence and that starts with the president, I don’t give a flying fuck what China media is spewing it makes no difference to me you know what makes a difference having enough test kits for all citizens that will require them! 
    Believe it or not, you can think Trump is an idiot because there's not enough test kits AND think that China (and America's dependence on China for medicine) is a problem. You can "give a flying fuck" about more than one thing. Well maybe you can't, but most people can. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    edited March 2020
    I remember lots of different media calling it the Wuhan Virus when it first broke out. It wasn’t until trump called it the Chinese virus that it suddenly became racist.
    It started there, the dozens of times I heard it called the Wuhan or Chinese virus I didn’t think it was deragotory at all, just where it came from.  People still refer to the 1918 flu as the Spanish flu. Maybe they are all butt hurt in Spain over it, but I haven’t heard about it. And that didn’t even start in Spain, they were just the only ones not to hide it.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

Believe it or not, you can think Trump is an idiot because there's not enough test kits AND think that China (and America's dependence on China for medicine) is a problem. You can "give a flying fuck" about more than one thing. Well maybe you can't, but most people can. 
    You are correct America dependence on these other countries is a bad thing, I can do without the tit for tat from both of these leaders is absurd! Sorry but I’d rather see our government just concentrate on the virus ..
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    I haven't seen anything too crazy with regard to people taking to the streets with guns yet. Still, there is no shortage of concern that people will become more violent toward one another before restrictions are lifted. 

Is anyone seeing people out and about openly carrying or threatening others with guns?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    dudeman said:
    I haven't seen anything too crazy with regard to people taking to the streets with guns yet. Still, there is no shortage of concern that people will become more violent toward one another before restrictions are lifted. 

Is anyone seeing people out and about openly carrying or threatening others with guns?
    I was wondering since everyone is on lockdown, how the murder rates went down or not?  They might go up though if you have a budding couple that is too close for too long?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    dudeman said:

I was wondering since everyone is on lockdown, how the murder rates went down or not?  They might go up though if you have a budding couple that is too close for too long?
    In 9 months the birthrate will skyrocket with "Coronials" being born.
    The divorce rate will also skyrocket!
  • Options
    dudeman said:

And when they become teenagers they will be called "Quarantines"...
  • Options
    dudeman said:

I like “Coronials” more.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    dudeman said:

People definitely have been busy buying guns and ammo. The few online retailers that I checked are sold out of most handgun calibers and the more popular rifle and shotgun loads. Yet to be determined what is going to come of that. 

The limited dealings I have had with locals have been largely positive and there is a sense of community that isn't always apparent. People want to help. 

Acts of violence seem to be pretty low on the priority list around here. I hope that continues to be the case and people can emerge from all of this with more respect for life. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    mace1229 said:
    dudeman said:

I like “Coronials” more.
    My line killed, you suck...

What if I spelled "Quaran-teens"?
  • Options
    So much for the 2A applying to all Americans, according to the NRA and other gun rights organizations.

To Faye, gun ownership had become a reflection of a hyper-individualist and alienated American populace. “There is a narrative that’s been pushed by the NRA and other groups that’s very harmful, that’s very atomized, that’s focused on, you know, packing heat at all times to protect yourself from whatever,” she said. “The way the SRA approaches it is not necessarily focusing so much on individual, personal defense.” Instead, the SRA believes in “community defense,” a concept that can sound pretty jargony and vague, but simply denotes oppressed people using direct, and sometimes physical, confrontation to face down threats of state or vigilante violence. The Black Panthers are America’s most famous example, though re-creating anything like their parallel-state organization seems to me like an anachronistic goal, especially in a disjointed society such as ours, where so many people barely know any of their neighbors, and where many of today’s active community-defense movements—such as those combating ICE—take place over wide geographic regions.

Owning a gun for any reason other than hunting or target practice—uses that account for only 21 percent of U.S. gun ownership—is an inherently political act. To draw a pistol and choose to shoot someone who has violated your safety or sense of safety is to arrogate to yourself the right to decide whether someone ought to live or die. Merely carrying a pistol for self-protection means arrogating to yourself the same right. The Supreme Court’s 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller decision interpreted the Second Amendment’s provision for a “well regulated militia” as more or less an endorsement of that right and of the NRA-fed gun culture Faye was objecting to—a culture in which every private citizen is free to act as a deadly militia of one.

The tragedy of American gun culture is that it is inseparable from the tragedy of American life today. The suicides, the mass shootings, the vast numbers of people sent to prison for gun crimes: these are all expressions of the fact that the United States is a place where millions feel alone and see no future for themselves, where a seemingly unaccountable elite is willing to wreck the entire planet rather than sacrifice the profits of a small number of corporations. 

https://harpers.org/archive/2020/04/good-guys-with-guns-socialist-gun-club/

From 1964 and still selling fear:

But in recent months, the question has been raised as to whether the government’s civilian marksmanship training is being abused. One skeptic, Texas congressman Henry González, read into the May 26, 1964, Congressional Record a newsletter from the Paul Revere Associated Yeomen, Inc., which predicted a Goldwater–Nixon ticket defeating the Democrats by a 60–40 vote followed by an attempted “revolution-insurrection” by the “diehard liberals and Reds.” Readers were urged to “stock up on rifles, shotguns, pistols,” and to join the National Rifle Association and the Minutemen.

Like most organizations, the NRA is concerned with its self-perpetuation. To this end, “Keep and Bear Arms” is an ideal rallying cry, which becomes irresistible to gun lovers when coupled with the enticement of free or cut-rate government arms. The result is a formidable—and dangerous—coalition of diverse pressure groups.

https://harpers.org/archive/2020/04/who-has-the-guns/

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    mace1229 said:
    dudeman said:

I like “Coronials” more.

Yes, you blew it when you didn't spell it correctly.  Swing and a miss ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    dudeman said:

I like “Coronials” more.

Yes, you blew it when you didn't spell it correctly.  Swing and a miss ;)
    lol, I didn't think to do it phonetically.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

NYC with more covid deaths than murders.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/coronavirus-new-york-city-crime/2020/03/26/6a408e94-6f9a-11ea-a3ec-70d7479d83f0_story.html

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    dudeman said:

I like “Coronials” more.

Ha, that’s better. Sorry to steal your thunder
  • Options
    I guess with all those gun and ammo purchases you might as well spend your gubmint check protecting yourself?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Woah! Good deals! No need to wait for the "gubmint check" as you so succinctly put it.

Take my money, SG!
  • Options
    I guess with all those gun and ammo purchases you might as well spend your gubmint check protecting yourself?

$80 for a vest isn't bad!  Might have to pick one up.  TY
This discussion has been closed.