Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    I love Chicago
    I would live there if it didn't have such god awful weather.

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,185
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/3/30/21197864/chicago-weekend-shootings-homicide-gun-violence-march-27-30

Even a Pandemic can’t stop those dam guns from killing people in Chicago.  Those numbers are considered good for a weekend of “gun” violence in Chicago.  
    There are a lot of people in Chicago. 

You're still more likely to be shot in rural white pillbilly America.
    Feel free to explore the gun violence map for the last 6 years in the link below. I’m curious where you would consider all the “rural white pillbilly Americans” living. Seems like you are more likely to get shot in non rural areas where you know, Americans live. In the event that you were to be fatally shot, 60% of the time it would have been yourself pulling the trigger since suicide accounts for that percentage of gun related deaths. Did you get your information from some guy on Twitter again?
    https://www.thetrace.org/features/gun-violence-interactive-shootings-map/

So only homicides count as gun violence, but not accidents or suicides?  You're still more likely to be shot in rural white pillbilly America (no qualifiers).

The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine
    https://www.jabfm.org/content/jabfp/14/2/107.full.pdf
    • compared with urban areas, rural areas have (1) a higher percentage of gun deaths from shotguns and rifles, and (2) a higher percentage of gun deaths from suicides and accidents
    • Results: Compared with urban settings, rural areas had a higher percentage of gun deaths from shotguns and rifles and a higher percentage from suicides and accidents

Researchers at UC Davis’ Violence Prevention Research Program evaluated more than 50,000 firearm deaths – both homicides and suicides – recorded in California counties between 2000 and 2015. 

https://www.calhealthreport.org/2018/04/24/gun-violence-increasingly-rural-problem-study-finds/

• At the start of the study, firearm homicide was largely an urban problem, the researchers found. But by 2015, gun murders in urban areas had dropped, resulting in similar rates in both urban and rural counties.
    • The study also detected a slight uptick in suicide rates by gun since 2000, mirroring national trends. These suicides were concentrated in rural areas and among whites
    Did you explore the map I provided? If you did, you should have noticed that accidental is included. I added the bit about suicides on my own because they should not be ignored when speaking of gun violence, but suicides do not help your stance since it takes others doing the shooting out of the equation. Your evidence only speaks of shotguns and rifles in exhibit "A", are those the only guns we have in this country? Handguns are the most to blame when it comes to gun violence, I've included a graph below for you from the FBI. Exhibit "B" is a study for the state of California only and clearly states "resulting in similar rates in both urban and rural counties." Again I ask, where are all of the rural white pillbilly Americans living who are more likely to shoot you?

Not sure why this is so difficult to grasp.

You are more likely to die from gun violence in rural America than in the city.  

Gun suicides, accidental deaths, and homicides happen at a higher rate per capita in rural areas.  

It's easy to pick on Chicago because there's nearly 10 million in the metro area.  Sensationalism gets clicks.
    All I am asking for on my third attempt time is:
    Where are all of the rural white pillbilly Americans living? Are you worried you are going to upset someone because of your typical stereotyping approach?
    Not sure what you're getting at.  but here you go: https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/90556/eib-200.pdf

If you're trying to make a point, go get your own data next time.
    Nothing to do with gun violence again, but the pretty colors depicting rural areas on the pamphlet you provided seem to take up a vast portion of the country central to west. I have to assume this is the rural white pillbilly America that you speak of since you refuse to clarify your original statement. Oddly enough those same areas on the data I initially provided show the probably of being shot are much lower. Shooting yourself may be higher in those areas but again that was not a part of your argument, I brought that to the table to show you are more likely to shoot yourself than be shot by someone else no matter where you live. Keep calm and stereotype on.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/3/30/21197864/chicago-weekend-shootings-homicide-gun-violence-march-27-30

Even a Pandemic can’t stop those dam guns from killing people in Chicago.  Those numbers are considered good for a weekend of “gun” violence in Chicago.  

Feel free to explore the gun violence map for the last 6 years in the link below. I’m curious where you would consider all the “rural white pillbilly Americans” living. Seems like you are more likely to get shot in non rural areas where you know, Americans live. In the event that you were to be fatally shot, 60% of the time it would have been yourself pulling the trigger since suicide accounts for that percentage of gun related deaths. Did you get your information from some guy on Twitter again?

So only homicides count as gun violence, but not accidents or suicides?  You're still more likely to be shot in rural white pillbilly America (no qualifiers).

• compared with urban areas, rural areas have (1) a higher percentage of gun deaths from shotguns and rifles, and (2) a higher percentage of gun deaths from suicides and accidents
    • Results: Compared with urban settings, rural areas had a higher percentage of gun deaths from shotguns and rifles and a higher percentage from suicides and accidents

Researchers at UC Davis’ Violence Prevention Research Program evaluated more than 50,000 firearm deaths – both homicides and suicides – recorded in California counties between 2000 and 2015. 

https://www.calhealthreport.org/2018/04/24/gun-violence-increasingly-rural-problem-study-finds/

• At the start of the study, firearm homicide was largely an urban problem, the researchers found. But by 2015, gun murders in urban areas had dropped, resulting in similar rates in both urban and rural counties.
    • The study also detected a slight uptick in suicide rates by gun since 2000, mirroring national trends. These suicides were concentrated in rural areas and among whites
    Did you explore the map I provided? If you did, you should have noticed that accidental is included. I added the bit about suicides on my own because they should not be ignored when speaking of gun violence, but suicides do not help your stance since it takes others doing the shooting out of the equation. Your evidence only speaks of shotguns and rifles in exhibit "A", are those the only guns we have in this country? Handguns are the most to blame when it comes to gun violence, I've included a graph below for you from the FBI. Exhibit "B" is a study for the state of California only and clearly states "resulting in similar rates in both urban and rural counties." Again I ask, where are all of the rural white pillbilly Americans living who are more likely to shoot you?

Gun suicides, accidental deaths, and homicides happen at a higher rate per capita in rural areas.  

It's easy to pick on Chicago because there's nearly 10 million in the metro area.  Sensationalism gets clicks.
    Where are all of the rural white pillbilly Americans living? Are you worried you are going to upset someone because of your typical stereotyping approach?
    Not sure what you're getting at.  but here you go: https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/90556/eib-200.pdf

Nothing to do with gun violence again, but the pretty colors depicting rural areas on the pamphlet you provided seem to take up a vast portion of the country central to west. I have to assume this is the rural white pillbilly America that you speak of since you refuse to clarify your original statement. Oddly enough those same areas on the data I initially provided show the probably of being shot are much lower. Shooting yourself may be higher in those areas but again that was not a part of your argument, I brought that to the table to show you are more likely to shoot yourself than be shot by someone else no matter where you live. Keep calm and stereotype on.

You're still more likely to be shot in rural white pillbilly America
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:

10 million people in Chicago metro ???  Boy, I would love to see some pretty scientific graph on that Stat....people are leaving that rotten brain infested city and state in droves....
    Here you go, I rounded up
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area
    The population is about 9.5 million people and CSA population of 9.9 million people

Most of the people leaving are useless elderly retiring in AZ or FL who really bring no value to Illinois economic engine anyways.
    That’s Fresh.... “useless elderly moving to FL and AZ”.   Spoken like a proud Illinoisan as that voluptuous  Billionaire JB Pritzker likes to call that pathetic state and City..... How you were able to throw in “add  value to Illinois economic engine “ was pure Democratic gold.... Jelly Bean would be proud....... 
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:

I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here.
    That homicides are more significant than suicides or accidental gun deaths?  
    That gun violence in urban areas is more important than in rural areas?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:
    JW269453 said:
    CM189191 said:

10 million people in Chicago metro ???  Boy, I would love to see some pretty scientific graph on that Stat....people are leaving that rotten brain infested city and state in droves....
    Here you go, I rounded up
    https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_metropolitan_area
    The population is about 9.5 million people and CSA population of 9.9 million people

Most of the people leaving are useless elderly retiring in AZ or FL who really bring no value to Illinois economic engine anyways.
    That’s Fresh.... “useless elderly moving to FL and AZ”.   Spoken like a proud Illinoisan as that voluptuous  Billionaire JB Pritzker likes to call that pathetic state and City..... How you were able to throw in “add  value to Illinois economic engine “ was pure Democratic gold.... Jelly Bean would be proud....... 
    The economy of Illinois is the fifth largest by GDP in the United States and one of the most diversified economies in the world. Fueled by the economy of Chicago, the Chicago metropolitan area is home to many of the United States' largest companies, including AbbVie Inc., Allstate, Baxter International, Boeing, Caterpillar, Conagra, Crate and Barrel, Kraft Heinz, McDonald's, Mondelez International, Motorola, United Airlines, US Foods, Walgreens, and more. The Chicago area is a global financial center and headquarters a wide variety of financial institutions including Citadel LLC, CNA Financial, Discover Financial Services, Morningstar, Inc., Nuveen, and more. Chicago is also home to the largest futures exchange in the world, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.

Across the state, other Fortune 500 world headquarters based in Illinois include State Farm in Bloomington and John Deere in Moline. As of 2017, Illinois ranked fourth in the nation for the most Fortune 500 based companies with a total of 36. For six consecutive years, Chicagoland was ranked the nation's top metropolitan area for corporate relocations.

The 2018 total gross state product for Illinois was $857 billion, placing it fifth in the nation. The 2017 median household income was $62,992, one of the nation's highest.  The state's industrial outputs include machinery, food processing, electrical equipment, chemical products, publishing, fabricated metal products and transportation equipment. Corn and soybeans are important agricultural products. Service industries of note are financial trading, higher education, logistics, and medicine.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    I ll gladly take my chances in Wyoming or Montana as compared to the south side of Chicago or Camden, nj.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I ll gladly take my chances in Wyoming or Montana as compared to the south side of Chicago or Camden, nj.  
    Who did you piss off on the south side?  Nearly all of the gun violence there is targeted, it's not random.  Also, the south side is a microcosm of Chicago-land.  Makes for good headlines tho.  
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Who did you piss off on the south side?  Nearly all of the gun violence there is targeted, it's not random.  Also, the south side is a microcosm of Chicago-land.  Makes for good headlines tho.  
    I'm pretty sure the 5 year old girl that was shot and wounded in the article you posted above didn't piss anyone off.

Drive by shootings happen in Chicago and other urban areas. Probably not so much in farm country. 

Plenty of innocent bystander casualties of gang violence in the annual gun deaths in Chicago. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smart man...and guess what a majority of the people have who reside in those beautiful states...Those no good Evil Guns...
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Tell that to this young woman’s Family.... this happened yesterday BTW.   I would not call this a good headline, but some apparently do.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smart man...and guess what a majority of the people have who reside in those beautiful states...Those no good Evil Guns...
    More guns = more gun deaths

That's a fact
  • Options

Deaths per 100K
  • Options
    "If I'm going to die from gun violence, it's going to be by my own hand, like a real American"

Bravo
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    I wonder if he rushed out to buy a gun because of the Covid-19 pandemic or if he was just another "responsible" gun owner until he wasn't?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/illinois-couple-dead-after-man-feared-they-had-covid-19/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I wonder if he rushed out to buy a gun because of the Covid-19 pandemic or if he was just another "responsible" gun owner until he wasn't?

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/illinois-couple-dead-after-man-feared-they-had-covid-19/
    Sad.

Interested in learning more about the officers who investigated the scene. The article mentions a revolver with three live rounds in it and two spent shell casings nearby. Revolvers do not eject spent cases, they have to be manually removed from the cylinder. 

Either someone else was involved, the officers did a shit job investigating or........I don't even know what the hell. 

ETA: The NY Post appears to be a shit rag.
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    "If I'm going to die from gun violence, it's going to be by my own hand, like a real American"

Bravo
    Goddamn right!
  • Options
    Well played sir!!  Protecting your family and ridding the earth of a Oxygen thief.  Your sir are a True Hero.....

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/police-release-video-of-deadly-home-invasion-in-chicago-area-involving-masked-men

• Options
    Well played sir!!  Protecting your family and ridding the earth of a Oxygen thief.  Your sir are a True Hero.....

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/police-release-video-of-deadly-home-invasion-in-chicago-area-involving-masked-men

Too bad police don't release their body cam footage in 6 days
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Too bad police don't release their body cam footage in 6 days
    What does this heroic action by a citizen protecting his family and ridding the earth of a POS have to do w/ the Police????  Wait, never mind...., I know the playbook.   
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Time for another reminder that...

Guns don't kill people 

Gun owners kill people 
  • Options

You know what else could have been well played? Having a medium or large sized dog with a loud bark. Or how about not answering the door and as your hero goes to get his gun, the wife is on the phone calling the cops while telling the kids to go to their rooms? Maybe brandish the gun or announce you have one, stand back from the door and if they kick it in, shoot? Maybe opening the door to two unexpected masked strangers so your wife and kids can witness someone being shot wasn’t the best “well played.”

Do you “responsible” gun owners ever think about the “down range” consequences of gun ownership? You think those kids are going to fine in a few days, weeks, months, years?

Glad the homeowner was able to defend himself and his family and exercise his 2A rights but I question the celebration of someone being shot and killed in front of children.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

You know what else could have been well played? Having a medium or large sized dog with a loud bark. Or how about not answering the door and as your hero goes to get his gun, the wife is on the phone calling the cops while telling the kids to go to their rooms? Maybe brandish the gun or announce you have one, stand back from the door and if they kick it in, shoot? Maybe opening the door to two unexpected masked strangers so your wife and kids can witness someone being shot wasn’t the best “well played.”

Do you “responsible” gun owners ever think about the “down range” consequences of gun ownership? You think those kids are going to fine in a few days, weeks, months, years?

Glad the homeowner was able to defend himself and his family and exercise his 2A rights but I question the celebration of someone being shot and killed in front of children.
    It's not like the homeowner asked for his family to be targeted by the two assailants. One of them was actively pointing a gun at his family and threatening them in their own home. Can't say I would have done anything differently than the homeowner in that particular situation. 

Lots of ways things could have gone down. I'm glad this wasn't another home invasion that resulted in the death of innocents. 

Tragic for sure that it happened, worse that children saw it happen. At least the children are still alive and still have both parents.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

It's not like the homeowner asked for his family to be targeted by the two assailants. One of them was actively pointing a gun at his family and threatening them in their own home. Can't say I would have done anything differently than the homeowner in that particular situation. 

Lots of ways things could have gone down. I'm glad this wasn't another home invasion that resulted in the death of innocents. 

Tragic for sure that it happened, worse that children saw it happen. At least the children are still alive and still have both parents.
    I wouldn’t have opened the door to two masked strangers that I wasn’t expecting. What’s the point of a doorbell camera if you’re not going to try and identify who it is and why they’re there?

Again, glad they’re “safe” but shooting someone doesn’t always have to be the only solution.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I wonder if the homeowner used a revolver. If so, how many spent casings miraculously ejected themselves out of the cylinder?
  • Options
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    CM189191 said:
    I don't recall reading about any mass shooting in March?
  • Options
    Exactly. 
  • Options
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    I'm interested to know what criteria is being used to label them as "school shootings". Particularly, two in Michigan in April. Schools have been closed since before April. The term "school shooting" conjures images of people being gunned down in classrooms and hallways but that clearly wasn't the case for the ones in April in Michigan. What are the stats derived from?

Did someone target a house across the street from school in a drive by? Maybe someone down the block from a school was the victim of a home invasion or someone who lived next door to a school committed suicide with a gun.

All of those situations are tragic for sure, but I wouldn't say that any of them should be considered as "school shootings".
This discussion has been closed.