Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    PJPOWER said:
    Cigarette smoking
    drunk driving
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    fast food
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Cigarette smoking
    How weak. What about the Golden Corral too while you're at it?

Don't forget about old age.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Golden Corral!!!

I need to get to one of these, Thirty fucking loves the place lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Cigarette smoking
    How weak. What about the Golden Corral too while you're at it?

Don't forget about old age.
    Why is that weak?  A question was asked about what else causes so many deaths? Smoking is very high on that list, and does kill hundreds, even innocent of people who don;t even smoke. 
    No one was saying gun deaths are okay. Just answering the question. Just like my answer of "fast food." I'm not suggesting we ban fast food, but it is linked to the #1 killer in America. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

I haven’t been to one since I was a kid.  It was awesome then, what 6 year old wouldn’t love endless ice cream :). I’ve heard they are pretty gross now, though.  I’m not sure why Thirty is so obsessed with it?
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

I'm just kinda irritated with the juvenile arguments put forth in defence of guns. Some fat f**k's decision to eat a ton of fast food doesn't directly impact other people's lives like an AR15 does.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

I haven’t been to one since I was a kid.  It was awesome then, what 6 year old wouldn’t love endless ice cream :). I’ve heard they are pretty gross now, though.  I’m not sure why Thirty is so obsessed with it?

If it wasn't obvious... I'm poking fun at your obesity epidemic. It's hand in hand with the problematic attitude that is becoming prevalent in the US.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

I'm just kinda irritated with the juvenile arguments put forth in defence of guns. Some fat f**k's decision to eat a ton of fast food doesn't directly impact other people's lives like an AR15 does.
    Nobody was making a juvenile argument in gun defense. Someone asked what else kils 0.015% of users, and there were some answers. That was all it was. In all reality, fast food probably kills 20% of it's users, but nobody was saying that in defense of guns, just answering the question.
    Seems like people get called out all the time for not answering a question, but now are juvenile when they do? That isn't the case.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

Halifax asked and people answered.  But on your note, smoking cigarettes and second hand smoke directly effects plenty.  Fast food and obesity indirectly through higher premiums...and so on and so on. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

Nobody was making a juvenile argument in gun defense. Someone asked what else kils 0.015% of users, and there were some answers. That was all it was. In all reality, fast food probably kills 20% of it's users, but nobody was saying that in defense of guns, just answering the question.

I get that. But again (and in a slightly different context)... they have been served up as counter arguments to the logic supporting gun regulation. These examples are the same examples trotted out there routinely when people are asking for a ban of certain weaponry in the wake of things like a Las Vegas concert or elementary school massacre.

Have you wondered where your next national massacre is going to be? You know it's coming right? There are no ostriches with their heads stuffed in the sand thinking the threat is gone around here are there? There's a bunch of individuals going about their day as we speak that are on destiny's path where they will meet their end at the hands of some f**king lunatic armed with a weapon that you constantly defend the right to own.

Don't worry though. As the math was done earlier... it's likely not going to be you or anyone you love so big whoop! 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

I get that. But again (and in a slightly different context)... they have been served up as counter arguments to the logic supporting gun regulation. These examples are the same examples trotted out there routinely when people are asking for a ban of certain weaponry in the wake of things like a Las Vegas concert or elementary school massacre.

Have you wondered where your next national massacre is going to be? You know it's coming right? There are no ostriches with their heads stuffed in the sand thinking the threat is gone around here are there? There's a bunch of individuals going about their day as we speak that are on destiny's path where they will meet their end at the hands of some f**king lunatic armed with a weapon that you constantly defend the right to own.

Don't worry though. As the math was done earlier... it's likely not going to be you or anyone you love so big whoop! 
    Seriously, someone get this man a fucking Golden Coral!
    l
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

Halifax asked and people answered.  But on your note, smoking cigarettes and second hand smoke directly effects plenty.  Fast food and obesity indirectly through higher premiums...and so on and so on. 

Wow. You got me. Second hand smoke is as lethal as bullets (obviously if you can't walk away from the smoke and are exposed to it for years).

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

l

I ?

I what? Huh? Huh?

Yeah. That's what I thought.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

l

I ?

I what? Huh? Huh?

Lol, triggered?  By a letter???  Maybe an l as in lol ;)

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    x said:
    Just another “responsible” gun owner. I wonder if her gun was pink? Maybe pink camouflage with a smaller grip? Maybe polished mahogany?

https://apple.news/A95EmAzjCS424S_z2TQu6-g
    Murder is not responsible and what the hell is a smaller grip/polished mahogany?  Is that your attempt to make fun of her?
    It was pointed out to me on this very forum that every gun begins its life as a legal gun and every legal gun purchaser begins as a “responsible” gun owner. And while the gun enthusiasts wax poetic about gun features such as polished mahogany stocks and the gun industry actively markets to women with pink color schemes on their product, innocent individuals that deserve a right to life and the pursuit of happiness, rights repubs and some posters here swear they care about, are mowed down to the tune of approximately 45,000 a year, some as they sleep. Happy voting.
    We know that 22,000 of them were self inflicted.

We also know that the remaining 23,000 of those were obtained illegally.  Roughly half. so that's 11,500.

In the big picture of things there are roughly 75,000,000 gun owners and 11,500 deaths a year.  That is .015% of deaths by responsible gun owners per year.

Take that for what it's worth.

The firearms obtained illegally were obtained from "responsible gun owners".
    If a gun gets stolen from someone it can't be the owners fault unless he was negligent, then he isn't "responsible" and should be held accountable.

But what you are leaning towards has been a target of gun activists.  They activists would like the gun manufacturers to be held accountable for crimes committed with firearms that they made.

Just another “responsible” gun owner. I wonder if her gun was pink? Maybe pink camouflage with a smaller grip? Maybe polished mahogany?

Murder is not responsible and what the hell is a smaller grip/polished mahogany?  Is that your attempt to make fun of her?
    It was pointed out to me on this very forum that every gun begins its life as a legal gun and every legal gun purchaser begins as a “responsible” gun owner. And while the gun enthusiasts wax poetic about gun features such as polished mahogany stocks and the gun industry actively markets to women with pink color schemes on their product, innocent individuals that deserve a right to life and the pursuit of happiness, rights repubs and some posters here swear they care about, are mowed down to the tune of approximately 45,000 a year, some as they sleep. Happy voting.

We also know that the remaining 23,000 of those were obtained illegally.  Roughly half. so that's 11,500.

In the big picture of things there are roughly 75,000,000 gun owners and 11,500 deaths a year.  That is .015% of deaths by responsible gun owners per year.

How do we know roughly half were obtained illegally? And at some point, a “responsible” gun owner decided not to be “responsible” by facilitating illegal ownership of guns. .015 too many.

That isn't a responsible gun owner if they are doing that and they should be held accountable.

I know i'm spitting in the wind here and I really don't know why I come back to this thread...
    0.015 is too many....wow.  I mean in what other areas of life can you say 99.985 percent of something is responsible or positive?
    Where else can you point where that rate of failure results in the deaths of thousands of innocent people?

Automobiles- 222,000,000 licensed, 1,300,000 deaths .59%

Drugs-25,000,000 users, 72,000 deaths .29%

Sky Diving-3,500,000 people, 21 deaths .006%

Cycling-17,400,000 sold, 800 avg deaths a year .005%
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    x said:

If a gun gets stolen from someone it can't be the owners fault unless he was negligent, then he isn't "responsible" and should be held accountable.

But what you are leaning towards has been a target of gun activists.  They activists would like the gun manufacturers to be held accountable for crimes committed with firearms that they made.

How do we know roughly half were obtained illegally? And at some point, a “responsible” gun owner decided not to be “responsible” by facilitating illegal ownership of guns. .015 too many.

That isn't a responsible gun owner if they are doing that and they should be held accountable.

I know i'm spitting in the wind here and I really don't know why I come back to this thread...
    0.015 is too many....wow.  I mean in what other areas of life can you say 99.985 percent of something is responsible or positive?
    Where else can you point where that rate of failure results in the deaths of thousands of innocent people?

Ban drugs!!! Wait...
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

So now you hate fat people?  wow.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    my2hands said:
    Golden Corral!!!

Lol

l

I ?

I what? Huh? Huh?

Lol, triggered?  By a letter???  Maybe an l as in lol ;)

Oh. Okay then. No problem.

(lol)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Amazing to see so many people wanting to put their efforts into trying to prove that guns don’t really kill that many people, compared to things like illegal drugs and skydiving.

:weary:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    In all of these examples provided by the pro gun crowd, regulatory, self policing and common sense public awareness campaigns were implemented to save lives. Drunk driving deaths used to be 55K per year 40 years ago when MADD came into being. With way more cars on the road and vehicle miles driven today and the resultant halving of the death rate and that percentage is probably lower than .015. Mal practice? Hospital boards have committees that look at every death that could have been prevented and try to change how they do things to either prevent the next one or reduce the incidence of same. Obese people eating themselves to death may contribute to my health insurance premiums but it won't result in my death. And in all those instances, governments, via legislation, get involved when the violators won't regulate themselves. Except the gun industry, the NRA and "responsible" gun owners. In fact, they've gone the opposite way, thus contributing to the problem.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Amazing to see so many people wanting to put their efforts into trying to prove that guns don’t really kill that many people, compared to things like illegal drugs and skydiving.

No one is saying that guns don't kill people but just proving that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

No one is saying that guns don't kill people but just proving that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible.  

Until they aren't.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    x said:

1.3MM automobile deaths per year? Better get off the pipe.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options

Answered a question someone asked to put other things in perspective.

I can use smoking and alcohol too.

37,800,000 smokers and 480,000 deaths 1.3%
    24,000,000 active drinkers and 88,000 deaths  .37%

• Options

Answered a question someone asked to put other things in perspective.

I can use smoking and alcohol too.

37,800,000 smokers and 480,000 deaths 1.3%
    24,000,000 active drinkers and 88,000 deaths  .37%

You're numbers are way, way off.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Until they aren't.
    Everyone is responsible until they break the law. “Until they aren’t” is such a dumb thing to say. No shit they aren’t responsible. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Seriously. A question was answered. Now it is suddenly juvenile and defensive for putting forth honest answers?
    No one has suggested gun deaths are okay, or that it isn't a big deal or calling it a "big whoop" or that guns dont really kill or anything that those who don't like the answers are saying. Its very simple, a question was asked and was answered. You don't have to be pro-gun to answer the question.  Sorry for all of those who don;t like the answers.
    I'm with tempo, why do I keep coming back here when that is the response?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Seriously. A question was answered. Now it is suddenly juvenile and defensive for putting forth honest answers?
    No one has suggested gun deaths are okay, or that it isn't a big deal or calling it a "big whoop" or that guns dont really kill or anything that those who don't like the answers are saying. Its very simple, a question was asked and was answered. Sorry for all of those who don;t like the answers.
    I'm with tempo, why do I keep coming back here when that is the resposne?
    Who said we didn’t like the answers? I just find them irrelevant, particularly when Tempo cooks the books.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    x said:

1.3MM automobile deaths per year? Better get off the pipe.
    That's 40,000 deaths.  I don't know what I did there...

Percentage is .02%

For your defense Motor vehicle related deaths have been on decline from their peak in 1980 51,000 compared to around 40,000 now.  The death toll has been increasing over the last 15 years from a low of 32,000 in 2010.

From 2010 until now gun deaths rose from 31,000 to 36,000.  The 45,000 deaths is 10,000 higher than anything that I've read.  It still is on the rise.
This discussion has been closed.