Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Pro-fun folks during discussion - “I’m all for stronger background checks and better enforcement of laws around gun purchases”

Pro-gun folks when provided information on inadequate background checks and violations of gun purchase laws - “ehhh, it’s only record keeping.... not very interesting” 
    The laws are only as good as the people regulating those laws.  If the ATF is just letting the negligent get away with this stuff, then the ATF is what needs to get fixed first.  
    The ATF is just another mishandled government entity...which is pretty much the same old song and dance...
    Not very interesting.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Out of curiosity....anyone ever read papers like Manchester Evening News and see the brutality of murders there?  Without guns?  I am just looking for MU info and I have to go to the front page and there is daily, some brutal stabbing, baseball bat, etc. murder there.  So yes you can stop gun murders by taking guns but you are not going to stop people from killing.  Just like you are not going to stop mass killings if they want to drive a truck through a crowd.  You cannot legislate everything.
    Well, that solves it, let's just do nothing at all because people will still commit murder.
  • Options
    blackhawksblackhawks Posts: 307
    Out of curiosity....anyone ever read papers like Manchester Evening News and see the brutality of murders there?  Without guns?  I am just looking for MU info and I have to go to the front page and there is daily, some brutal stabbing, baseball bat, etc. murder there.  So yes you can stop gun murders by taking guns but you are not going to stop people from killing.  Just like you are not going to stop mass killings if they want to drive a truck through a crowd.  You cannot legislate everything.
    Well, that solves it, let's just do nothing at all because people will still commit murder.
    Well, I didn't even say that.  For fuck's sake some of you are so fucking miserable.  All I stated is you cannot legislate hate, anger, etc. away.  If you would care to read up about 15-20 posts you would see that I am exactly in the same mindset of limiting things like assault weapons.  Get a grip you jumping to conclusions dolt.  
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,606
    Well, I didn't even say that.  For fuck's sake some of you are so fucking miserable.  All I stated is you cannot legislate hate, anger, etc. away.  If you would care to read up about 15-20 posts you would see that I am exactly in the same mindset of limiting things like assault weapons.  Get a grip you jumping to conclusions dolt.  
    Gee, somebody sounds really angry.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
  • Options
    Gee, somebody sounds really angry.
    Naw.  Just tired of people knee jerking to reactions when a simple scroll of the mouse would solve that.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited August 2018
    (geez, why do people keep thinking it's acceptable to make comments about people's lives or emotional state just because of regular comments they make? Why would a comment like Dyer's mean he or others are fucking miserable? That doesn't even make sense)

Back to the subject, I don't think anyone has ever claimed that hate and anger can be legislated away.
    I've never personally understood the point in noting non-gun-related violence when discussing gun regulation in America.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I've got a grip, no need to name call.
    No you don't or you wouldn't have made assumptions of me.  I don't think anyone appreciates that FYI.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    (geez, why do people keep thinking it's acceptable to make comments about people's lives or emotional state just because of regular comments they make? Why would a comment like Dyer's mean he or others are fucking miserable? That doesn't even make sense)

Back to the subject, I don't think anyone has ever claimed that hate and anger can be legislated away.
    I've never personally understood the point in noting non-gun-related violence when discussing gun regulation in America.

As I stated above a ways, I do not see the need for guns with 30 rounds.  Heck, or 10.  Or pistols.  None are used for hunting though I get there are pistol competitions.  There seems to be a disconnect with society now with the urbanization and lack of people having concern or care of people packed like sardines into cities.  And religion can play a part.  There is always bad in the world and my significant other was robbed at knife point.  Just the way the world is and there inso quick or easy fix.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

As I stated above a ways, I do not see the need for guns with 30 rounds.  Heck, or 10.  Or pistols.  None are used for hunting though I get there are pistol competitions.  There seems to be a disconnect with society now with the urbanization and lack of people having concern or care of people packed like sardines into cities.  And religion can play a part.  There is always bad in the world and my significant other was robbed at knife point.  Just the way the world is and there inso quick or easy fix.  
    There is certainly no easy fix.... I'm not sure how long you've been reading posts in the AMT, so maybe you know my perspective already... I think guns are stupid unless they have a real purpose, like hunting (which I don't approve of but know will continue), or when used by professionals in policing or security or the military. I think guns as a hobby or sport is just stupid because it simply makes guns "cool" and fun, which seems like a terrible idea. I do think more common sense gun regulation, mainly to do with licensing, is needed and would help, but ultimately, I think America's problem is its crazy gun culture. I think that is the main thing that creates all these problems in American and not anywhere else. And for that American gun fetish to stop, it will take many generations, and that's only if there is an effort towards it. So yeah, gun control can help the problem, but nothing like that is going to bring America's gun problem down to manageable levels as long as its weird gun culture persists. Anything that leads younger generations to think of guns as an odd and wholly unnecessary thing to use or own just for fun, or out of paranoia, or because it makes them feel tough, or whatever, will be a step in the right direction. Once most people think a guy carrying a gun around is just a complete douchebag or a dangerous weirdo, the US will be on the right track.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    One problem are the current regs are not even enforced as stiffly as they should by our govt.  That is a problem I have as a gun owner.  There are people I have seen who have zero business possessing a gun.  I would like to see tightening of those regs and well as STRICT enforcement of them.

There are Olympic games that feature guns and those are safe as anything else.  I have never thought of my competitive shooting as 'cool' but just something I do with friends.  I have been around them my whole life from the farm onwards.  They are nothing scary, etc. to me.  I was also in the Marines so I am well versed in using guns and was taught respect and safety at a young age (not as common now from the hone to school to be honest).  I have attended corporate events at sporting ranges so it is in the culture of our country for sure.  People enjoy it and look forward to those events.  It is all how you are brought up.  In the city I would not care for much and there is enough solution, crime, etc. yet do not try to dictate who or what people do there.  The people in rural areas have a much different life than city people and dictating to them without understanding them is something I do not agree with.  
  • Options
    Yeah... I have heard the standard arguments for guns many times over.... I get the feeling that many Americans just don't really get where people from outside America are coming from in terms of their attitudes about guns. It's not like there aren't any guns in other countries and it's not like they aren't used for sport in those countries, and still no other countries have the same problems. It's all about the American gun culture/fetish. It's like something that is way deep under the skin of Americans... it's something that leads so many more Americans to turn to their guns to solve problems compared to other nationalities, it leads to a way more cavalier attitude about them, causing so many more accidents with firearms, etc.

I mean, shit...

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,009
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah... I have heard the standard arguments for guns many times over.... I get the feeling that many Americans just don't really get where people from outside America are coming from in terms of their attitudes about guns. It's not like there aren't any guns in other countries and it's not like they aren't used for sport in those countries, and still no other countries have the same problems. It's all about the American gun culture/fetish. It's like something that is way deep under the skin of Americans... it's something that leads so many more Americans to turn to their guns to solve problems compared to other nationalities, it leads to a way more cavalier attitude about them, causing so many more accidents with firearms, etc.

I mean, shit...

I vote this to be your new icon thingy. 
  • Options
    I've got a grip, no need to name call.
    No you don't or you wouldn't have made assumptions of me.  I don't think anyone appreciates that FYI.  
    I didn't make any assumptions about you.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Sure, people can be injured or killed by other things than guns. The murder rate in the UK is still lower than that in the USA. No one is saying that people aren’t killed in other parts of the world. The USA still stands head and shoulders above the rest of the western democratic nations, though, and most other places too. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Jim Jefferies -- Gun Control (Part 1) from BARE -- Netflix Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0&list=PL8cgy8dae0sjW5pfWffuLr658QRubgfzS

Jim Jefferies -- Gun Control (Part 2) from BARE -- Netflix Special
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Mass shooting in Jacksonville. Time for more thoughts and prayers 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Someone must have been out for a walk with his gun that he needed for protection, then the cracker slipped off the cheese and decided people shouldn't have fun at a Madden 19 tournament...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    Florida - You need help! What is going on in that state?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Mass shooting at Jacksonville, Fl. video game tournament, multiple fatalities: Sheriff

https://globalnews.ca/news/4410419/mass-shooting-jacksonville-video-game-event/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNews

Some things never change...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Shooter was reportedly a player who just a game. Just another responsible gun owner until he wasn’t bringing his piece to a video game tournament. Guess we have to arm all gamers now.
  • Options
    Shooter was reportedly a player who just a game. Just another responsible gun owner until he wasn’t bringing his piece to a video game tournament. Guess we have to arm all gamers now.

And another white male.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108

And another white male.
    Yup. I can not believe someone killed people and no himself over a freakin Madden game
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

And another white male.
    He isn't white.  
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2018

And another white male.
    Yup. I can not believe someone killed people and no himself over a freakin Madden game
    Didn’t get his participation trophy for losing I’m guessing...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    unsung said:

And another white male.
    He isn't white.  
    Come again?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    edited August 2018

And another white male.
    Tell me again why this matters if it doesn't matter than an illegal immigrant killed a 20 year old jogger in iowa.  Why do you  need to constantly point out that white male used a gun in an illegal way? what are you trying to prove?  where's all the shootings from chicago?
    can you scan the news like you every day and highlight every black shooter?  or maybe every illegal immigrant who is a shooter? how about every asian?  Maybe people who are native american?   please be fair and balanced when you identify these shooters.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:

And another white male.
    He isn't white.  
    Come again?

Where'd I lose ya?
  • Options
    unsung said:
    unsung said:

And another white male.
    He isn't white.  
    Come again?

Where'd I lose ya?
    You’re claiming he’s not a white male. NBC news and CNN are reporting that he is as did the sheriff’s office at their press conference that NBC covered. Do you have a source saying otherwise? If so, link it please.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

And another white male.
    Tell me again why this matters if it doesn't matter than an illegal immigrant killed a 20 year old jogger in iowa.  Why do you  need to constantly point out that white male used a gun in an illegal way? what are you trying to prove?  where's all the shootings from chicago?
    can you scan the news like you every day and highlight every black shooter?  or maybe every illegal immigrant who is a shooter? how about every asian?  Maybe people who are native american?   please be fair and balanced when you identify these shooters.  
    Another poster pointed out previously that we have more to fear from males, 18-24, and white ones at that, if you want to drill down. I think it was in the Mollie Tibbetts thread. Seeing how that perp’s immigration status was brought into it. I wonder if this guy was a legal, “responsible” gun owner until he wasn’t?

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.