Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    I say install metal detectors or at least have security guards at all schools searching everyone entering the school ...
    I think that is a horrific idea.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Mace and Power...

I offered some pieces of potential legislation a few posts back. Would you be in favour of them?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    my2hands said:
    100000000% against arming teachers

More guns is NOT the answer, otherwise this problem wouldn't exist here in the first place since this country is fucking LITTERED with guns
    100000000% agree.  This is the excuse that really fucking makes my blood boil.   "Well, if the teachers had guns."  Fuck off!  Anyone who wants or even says that is a fucking moron and the biggest fucking hypocrite on the planet.

You can't seem to budget enough so that schools and teachers have enough pencils, pens, printer ink, paper, & other basic supplies but suddenly you have enough money to give them all guns.  Fuck off with that stupid ass thinking!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    My district is one of the largest in the state (12 k-8 schools and 1 high school) and each one of them has police officers in them every single day.   It is definitely not impossible to do.  Like I said, all of your doors are locked and you need an id page to get in.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    my2hands said:
    100000000% against arming teachers

More guns is NOT the answer, otherwise this problem wouldn't exist here in the first place since this country is fucking LITTERED with guns
    100000000% agree.  This is the excuse that really fucking makes my blood boil.   "Well, if the teachers had guns."  Fuck off!  Anyone who wants or even says that is a fucking moron and the biggest fucking hypocrite on the planet.

You can't seem to budget enough so that schools and teachers have enough pencils, pens, printer ink, paper, & other basic supplies but suddenly you have enough money to give them all guns.  Fuck off with that stupid ass thinking!!
    +2. It is insane to me that anyone thinks that's a reasonable solution. All it would do is make life even worse.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    i will never understand how so many people are fascinated by firearms.  a very solid reminder of the contrasts in our society. i've shot before and found it to be pretty boring and seemingly purposeless.  the munitions pollute the soil.  the act itself is unsafe.    people really like these things.  maybe someone can explain it?
    "Becuz it's muh ryte!!"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Say we spend the billions necessary to make every school have armed security, that still leaves every other large public place or even one of those goddamn gas station on the side of a highway that is the super stop with dozens of people there as open targets. Sure, some random do-gooder could be armed, but maybe we'll need to implement armed security there too, and then all hotel lobbies, restaurants, the zoo, a public park, fucking beaches! Hell, pay phones used to be how we easily called people when we were away from our house, maybe instead we could have gun safes with a stockpile of weapons at these places so the average citizen could put on the cape and play hero if something happens. Why stop at schools. Mandate one adult in every house to own and carry a handgun at all times. Safety first!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2018
    Mace and Power...

I offered some pieces of potential legislation a few posts back. Would you be in favour of them?
    You’re asking the wrong question.  It doesn’t matter what me or mace think.  The question is whether it is a realistic possibility in today’s political climate.  You have lobbying groups on both sides with a LOT of money backing them that you would have to somewhat satisfy to get any legislation passed.  If you wanted that type of legislation to take place, you would essentially have to first make those lobbying groups completely disappear (or at least one side)...and I do not think that is realistically going to happen any time soon.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Problem #1: Congrats to those paying their NRA dues. Your money at work to pay Republicans to not give a shit.

NRA membership dues skyrocketed by a staggering 62% in the year after Sandy Hook, from $108 million to $176 million. Total revenue in 2013 hit a third of a billion dollars.

As a result, the massive organization saw profits — excuse me, “surpluses” — rocket 2,750% to $57 million.

Of course, that’s before taxes. But, then, it didn’t pay any taxes, for it is a nonprofit charity.

The NRA estimates it was also helped by 150,000 volunteers. How many corporations could boast as much?

The NRA top executives shared that year in a treasure chest of more than $8 million in salary, bonuses, nontaxable benefits, deferred pay and other compensation — a nice payout for an organization that enjoys charitable exemption from U.S. taxes. LaPierre alone made a million bucks a year, which is, ironically, equal to about $100 for every man, woman and child murdered with a gun in America.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    Say we spend the billions necessary to make every school have armed security, that still leaves every other large public place or even one of those goddamn gas station on the side of a highway that is the super stop with dozens of people there as open targets. Sure, some random do-gooder could be armed, but maybe we'll need to implement armed security there too, and then all hotel lobbies, restaurants, the zoo, a public park, fucking beaches! Hell, pay phones used to be how we easily called people when we were away from our house, maybe instead we could have gun safes with a stockpile of weapons at these places so the average citizen could put on the cape and play hero if something happens. Why stop at schools. Mandate one adult in every house to own and carry a handgun at all times. Safety first!
    This seems like a bit of an exaggeration...My first and foremost concern is keeping our children safe while they are in school.  Private entities and households can make their own decisions as to proper safety protocols that fit their specific needs.  
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    This seems like a bit of an exaggeration...My first and foremost concern is keeping our children safe while they are in school.  Private entities and households can make their own decisions as to proper safety protocols that fit their specific needs.  
    Right, but once you start the ball rolling, do you think it's going to stop? And again, as I mentioned earlier, where would you rather spend the billions, on a reactionary response or the root cause? Everything I keep hearing from you seems to be reaction. Nothing will be a quick solution, but starting now can save innumerable people 10 years from now. Kind of like how addressing environmental concerns now will save lives and the planet long after our generation is gone. The big picture. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Yep.  Hypothetically speaking, let's go ahead and arm the schools.  Maybe school shooting will happen less frequently, maybe not.  But if it does lessen school shootings, other public shootings would then rise.  So now you have more guns, and the same amount of shootings, just in different places.  Someone with a gun and an urge to kill is gonna kill, and they're going to look for the easiest target.  More guns is not the solution.

I've posted this before, but:

PROBLEM: Shark attacks are on the rise.

SOLUTIONS:
    Australia:  Let's put up safety nets to prevent sharks from getting to close to beachgoers.
    USA: Everyone buy a shark to protect you from the other sharks!

Sounds ridiculous, no?

• Options
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    Right, but once you start the ball rolling, do you think it's going to stop? And again, as I mentioned earlier, where would you rather spend the billions, on a reactionary response or the root cause? Everything I keep hearing from you seems to be reaction. Nothing will be a quick solution, but starting now can save innumerable people 10 years from now. Kind of like how addressing environmental concerns now will save lives and the planet long after our generation is gone. The big picture. 
    There are already billions being spent on gun control efforts, may want to check with Bloomberg on than.  Again, what I stated could be a temporary solution until you find fix the root problems.  If someone has cancer, do you not treat them while still trying to find a cure?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    There are already billions being spent on gun control efforts, may want to check with Bloomberg on than.  Again, what I stated could be a temporary solution until you find fix the root problems.  If someone has cancer, do you not treat them while still trying to find a cure?
    You certainly don't give them more cancer...
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    I cant help but to wonder if one of the "17 intelligence agencys" could have prevented the Nicolas Cruz Parkland school massacre when he facebook posted that he wanted to be a "professional school shooter" under the name "Nikolai Cruzoff"?

• Options
    JC29856 said:
    I cant help but to wonder if one of the "17 intelligence agencys" could have prevented the Nicolas Cruz Parkland school massacre when he facebook posted that he wanted to be a "professional school shooter" under the name "Nikolai Cruzoff"?

Good thing we have the government to blame for this incident, right? What was the excuse for Vegas? Oh yeah, how could the hotel staff not notice.

Our fucking country is so stupid.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, because they aren't allowed to touch the root cause they have to spend billions on band-aids that have already been torn off a few times and reapplied because the "parents" keep arguing over whether the wound needs healing help.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    You must be right and I must be wrong, happy now?  Now back to the people that are speaking reasonably and respectfully about the specific issue of school shootings.
  • Options

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    Yeah, because they aren't allowed to touch the root cause they have to spend billions on band-aids that have already been torn off a few times and reapplied because the "parents" keep arguing over whether the wound needs healing help.
    No argument from me here, that’s why the only way to implement something is probably going to be something that involves a lot of compromises.  And often ignoring the eccentrics that often shout the loudest.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

\PJPOWER said:
    Mace and Power...

You’re asking the wrong question.  It doesn’t matter what me or mace think.  The question is whether it is a realistic possibility in today’s political climate.  You have lobbying groups on both sides with a LOT of money backing them that you would have to somewhat satisfy to get any legislation passed.  If you wanted that type of legislation to take place, you would essentially have to first make those lobbying groups completely disappear (or at least one side)...and I do not think that is realistically going to happen any time soon.
    It's a legitimate question, why do you refuse to answer?

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    Not sure where this is but I think it is a hell of a deterrent. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    No argument from me here, that’s why the only way to implement something is probably going to be something that involves a lot of compromises.  And often ignoring the eccentrics that often shout the loudest.
    Just looked it up for specific details and this is where that 4.5 billion went after Sandy Hook:

•                $4 billion for the president’s proposal “to help keep 15,000 cops on the streets in cities and towns across the country.” (That is roughly $266,000 per police officer.)

•                $20 million to “give states stronger incentives to make [relevant] data available [for background checks] … “$50 million for this purpose in FY2014”

•                 “$14 million to help train 14,000 more police officers and other public and private personnel to respond to active shooter situations.”

•                “$10 million for the Centers for Disease Control to conduct further research, including investigating the relationship between video games, media images, and violence.”

•                $20 million to expand the National Violent Death Reporting System.

•                $150 million to “put up to 1,000 new school resource officers and school counselors on the job.”

It's ridiculous that this was considered gun control measures. It's amazing how inefficient our government can be or what concessions are made to get this type of money approved by both R's and D's.

• Options
    dignin said:

\PJPOWER said:
    Mace and Power...

It's a legitimate question, why do you refuse to answer?

I did answer, I think it is an unrealistic approach in today’s political landscape.  I’m not even sure how such a thing could actually be reasonably implemented if it did become law.  Hell, individual states cannot even get that accomplished, let alone on a federal level.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    An arms race is never a good idea. 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    tbergs said:
    You must be right and I must be wrong, happy now?  Now back to the people that are speaking reasonably and respectfully about the specific issue of school shootings.
    It's called an analogy, bud. 
    What have I said that's been unreasonable or disrespectful about the specific issue of school shootings?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    So can anyone here propose on how to stop the shooters from entering the schools , I’m open to all ideas ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    I say install metal detectors or at least have security guards at all schools searching everyone entering the school ...
    I think that is a horrific idea.
    More horrific than 17 bodies?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited February 2018
    Mace and Power...

"Off the top of my head and specifically to this problem... change needs to be the outright stoppage of AR15 sales (and any similar weapon)... the banning of high capacity magazines... a buy back program... a registry for any 'grandfathered' AR15... restricted ammunition sales... and harsh penalties for anyone breaching the aforementioned items."
    Is what you're referring to?

I would have different suggestions. Buyback would be very expensive. Many would cost $1000 or more, times how many millions are out there? And as said, there's already millions, a "grandfathered" AR would still make it very easy to get.

I don't see the need to ban assault rifles if they are made to function like any other rifle. These mass shootings with assault rifles would only have a fraction of the damage if they had fixed magazines with a capacity of 5. That would make it no more deadly than hundreds of other rifles out there, and if someone wants to use it to hunt or target practice, then fine. If someone likes having a pistol grip, fine, but its on a gun with fixed magazine of 5 rounds.
    I have no interest in assault rifles myself, I own none. Every rifle I own is either bolt action, lever action, a .22, or black powder. So I am not 100% familiar with the design of an assault rifle, but I believe I know enough to assume changing the feeding mechanism to a fixed magazine is not something terribly difficult or expensive. Even have the government offer a $75 rebate to cover costs on every gun this is done to (and will be far cheaper than a buyback). Give owners 1 year to comply, and if they are caught without a fixed magazine after that year it is confiscated without reimbursement and a stiff fine/penalty on top.
    That's not the only change I'd support, but with respect to specificially assault rifles I think that would address that issue. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Listen folks, I understand the reaction to the idea of teachers with guns, and I think giving every teacher a gun is a moronic idea that only morons (nobody here to my knowledge) propose.

But, damnit, these are our fucking kids and even if Congress acted today to enact all the realistic gun reforms that are actually possible, they would still be exposed to this risk for at least a decade. 
    We have to DO something!

I don't give a shit if my kid has to go to a school that isn't a field of daisies, I care that he comes home safe. 
    I may not send Simon to school at all, it fucks kids up enough without this bullshit.

I'm hot.  I've had enough. I'm about to go full Mac and Charlie and go ensafen the schools.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
This discussion has been closed.