Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:
    100000000% against arming teachers

More guns is NOT the answer, otherwise this problem wouldn't exist here in the first place since this country is fucking LITTERED with guns
    A school shooting would just get more deadly not to mention accidental shootings and trigger happy people
    I don't really think that's going to be the result. I think if a few select teachers, like the football coach who acted quickly and selflessly, are armed they will have some opportunity to improve the safety in an event like this.
    The problem is that getting the weapon out of safe storage and getting to the shooter is going to be difficult and it's not going to be as effective as having all teachers armed, which I think is a terrible idea.  Most teachers are not and will never be capable of maintaining that responsibility safely and effectively.

I get the knee jerk reaction against more guns, but we have to be real here.  Pandora is out of the jar, her ills and evils can't be put back and we are talking about kids lined up like rifle fodder.  People say violence never solves anything, those people are dead wrong.  Once violence is initiated, it becomes an immutable force, like gravity, that must be overcome.  Violence, or better yet, the credible threat of violence, is usually the only thing that counters violence.
    We can keep our achools well-stocked with thoughts and prayers and we can duck and cover all day, but body counts matter.  Stopping this kid at 15 casualties instead of 17 because a rigorously vetted and trained security asset makes a world of difference to two families that get to hug their kids again.
    That’s my thoughts.  Not just getting them a second rate training, but as you said “rigorously vetted and trained”.  I know that there are a lot of people against arming teachers, but this would be more akin to having more armed/tactically trained security personnel.  
    “Five five, five against one” :)
    Yes, exactly.
    Students can't be armed and security guards are expensive and they are the first targets in an attack.  If the hero coach had that rigorous training and access to a pair of pistols, who kbiws what might have happened.  Every school has teachers and coaches who are perfectly capable of taking on this role.
    Hell, cops train for 6 months and we trust them completely.  Let's use some serious cheddar to incentivize the right teachers to be highly trained security assets.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

More guns is NOT the answer, otherwise this problem wouldn't exist here in the first place since this country is fucking LITTERED with guns
    A school shooting would just get more deadly not to mention accidental shootings and trigger happy people
    I don't really think that's going to be the result. I think if a few select teachers, like the football coach who acted quickly and selflessly, are armed they will have some opportunity to improve the safety in an event like this.
    The problem is that getting the weapon out of safe storage and getting to the shooter is going to be difficult and it's not going to be as effective as having all teachers armed, which I think is a terrible idea.  Most teachers are not and will never be capable of maintaining that responsibility safely and effectively.

I get the knee jerk reaction against more guns, but we have to be real here.  Pandora is out of the jar, her ills and evils can't be put back and we are talking about kids lined up like rifle fodder.  People say violence never solves anything, those people are dead wrong.  Once violence is initiated, it becomes an immutable force, like gravity, that must be overcome.  Violence, or better yet, the credible threat of violence, is usually the only thing that counters violence.
    We can keep our achools well-stocked with thoughts and prayers and we can duck and cover all day, but body counts matter.  Stopping this kid at 15 casualties instead of 17 because a rigorously vetted and trained security asset makes a world of difference to two families that get to hug their kids again.
    That’s my thoughts.  Not just getting them a second rate training, but as you said “rigorously vetted and trained”.  I know that there are a lot of people against arming teachers, but this would be more akin to having more armed/tactically trained security personnel.  
    5 to 10 million AR15’s in circulation at the moment , are you willing to pay more in taxes to fund these special programs to train teachers to be armed to protect their schools...
    So you believe more people armed is the answer ? 
    I have already stated that I would be more willing to pay higher taxes for it if you would read my first comment.  And nowhere did I say that you would have to stop the battle against guns if that is your mission.  I believe quick neutralization is the answer.  Hell, stun guns would be better than nothing...  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    A fair point, let's get some Tasers in the school's, locked up and used by trained teachers of course.

School safety measures are the same as gun control on the streets.  Half the the things you do are unlikely to make an impact and a fair portion relies on luck, BUT WE HAVE TO DO WHATEVER WE CAN TO TRY!!!  Inefficiency, cost, minor rights being infringed, none of those are excuses to do nothing.  This is a tragic epidemic and we need to try something.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

5 to 10 million AR15’s in circulation at the moment , are you willing to pay more in taxes to fund these special programs to train teachers to be armed to protect their schools...
    I have already stated that I would be more willing to pay higher taxes for it if you would read my first comment.  And nowhere did I say that you would have to stop the battle against guns if that is your mission.  I believe quick neutralization is the answer.  Hell, stun guns would be better than nothing...  
    What about the 5 to 10 million AR15’s in circulation what is your answer to this huge problem ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

What about the 5 to 10 million AR15’s in circulation what is your answer to this huge problem ? 
    That’s the point, I don’t have a solution to that problem other than meeting someone with overwhelming force if someone tries to bring one into a school.  My post was specifically about school shootings.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    more guns is always the answer to the right
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    rgambs said:
    A fair point, let's get some Tasers in the school's, locked up and used by trained teachers of course.

School safety measures are the same as gun control on the streets.  Half the the things you do are unlikely to make an impact and a fair portion relies on luck, BUT WE HAVE TO DO WHATEVER WE CAN TO TRY!!!  Inefficiency, cost, minor rights being infringed, none of those are excuses to do nothing.  This is a tragic epidemic and we need to try something.
    Not a terrible idea.  I could see maybe 5 or 6 in my school out of 100 teachers being able to do this.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

That’s the point, I don’t have a solution to that problem other than meeting someone with overwhelming force if someone tries to bring one into a school.  My post was specifically about school shootings.
    Well that’s where I wanna start ban these weapons and then I’ll listen to your ideas ...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

Not a terrible idea.  I could see maybe 5 or 6 in my school out of 100 teachers being able to do this.  
    It’s a logical “common sense” approach that is politically tenable.  Of course you are going to have the “more guns is not the answer” crowd spewing that talking point, but in *almost every one of these situations, once they were met with force, they blew their own brains out.  They rarely want to face the realities of getting caught (not to say that is always the case).
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

Well that’s where I wanna start ban these weapons and then I’ll listen to your ideas ...
    You are way more patient than I am.  I would rather consider multiple options as “banning” things seems like it is going to take a while...It has been stated that the lobbying groups are what are controlling politicians.  That just reality in today’s political landscape.  Therefore, let’s do something that the NRA will let pass as well as teachers unions.  This approach does not threaten anyone’s “rights” and has the potential of dramatically changing the outcome of these specific events (school shootings).  
    If the death toll of our children is decreased in these situations, we all win, right?  Not to say don’t keep up good fight of banning things, but until that happens...let’s fight these fucktards.  We have armed security in so many other places for a reason...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

You are way more patient than I am.  I would rather consider multiple options as “banning” things seems like it is going to take a while...It has been stated that the lobbying groups are what are controlling politicians.  That just reality in today’s political landscape.  Therefore, let’s do something that the NRA will let pass as well as teachers unions.  This approach does not threaten anyone’s “rights” and has the potential of dramatically changing the outcome of these specific events (school shootings).  
    If the death toll of our children is decreased in these situations, we all win, right?  Not to say don’t keep up good fight of banning things, but until that happens...let’s fight these fucktards.  We have armed security in so many other places for a reason...
    Your solution still let’s the gunman get into the facility where he wants to commit such crime
  • Options
    I say install metal detectors or at least have security guards at all schools searching everyone entering the school ...
  • Options
    I say install metal detectors or at least have security guards at all schools searching everyone entering the school ...
    Hey, that would work too, but it would sure be a disruption to daily education.  Imagine the long lines and tardy slips for kiddos getting to class late.  Not to mention, they would all pretty much be sitting ducks in that line waiting to get through the security checkpoints.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

Your solution still let’s the gunman get into the facility where he wants to commit such crime
    But it also greatly reduced the incentive of the gunman.  If they want a body count and know that their abilit to achieve that could be hindered by someone with equal or greater force...the hope is that they decide that they cannot carry out the rampage in the first place.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Hey, that would work too, but it would sure be a disruption to daily education.  Imagine the long lines and tardy slips for kiddos getting to class late.  Not to mention, they would all pretty much be sitting ducks in that line waiting to get through the security checkpoints.
    I bet if you asked every parent would they mind waiting for their kids to get thru security to get to classes they would sign up immediately as long as they get to welcome that kid back home after school , did you not see that mother pleading to have metal detectors installed? 
  • Options
    Disruptions really ? Just think about the 17 families that have had their lives disrupted for ever ...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    I bet if you asked every parent would they mind waiting for their kids to get thru security to get to classes they would sign up immediately as long as they get to welcome that kid back home after school , did you not see that mother pleading to have metal detectors installed? 
    So what happens when someone finds a way through the checkpoints or finds a way through another entrance?  I guess you could set it up like a prison with razor wire fences, etc, but we also want to minimize disruption to daily school function so that the students can get to class and start learning as quick as possible. It could take hours to screen every student at some of the larger schools.  
    And again, what about the sitting ducks standing in line waiting to get into the secure environment?  
    Logistically, it just does not seem feasible to me, but that’s just my opinion.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Arming teachers is the dumbest thing I may have read on here. And a complete sideshow. 
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i will never understand how so many people are fascinated by firearms.  a very solid reminder of the contrasts in our society. i've shot before and found it to be pretty boring and seemingly purposeless.  the munitions pollute the soil.  the act itself is unsafe.    people really like these things.  maybe someone can explain it?
  • Options
    There are some reasonable short term responses to the growing problem. I won't call them solutions because they are not.

Off the top of my head and specifically to this problem... change needs to be the outright stoppage of AR15 sales (and any similar weapon)... the banning of high capacity magazines... a buy back program... a registry for any 'grandfathered' AR15... restricted ammunition sales... and harsh penalties for anyone breaching the aforementioned items.

Reform also needs to occur in the licensing component.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    vaggar99 said:
    i will never understand how so many people are fascinated by firearms.  a very solid reminder of the contrasts in our society. i've shot before and found it to be pretty boring and seemingly purposeless.  the munitions pollute the soil.  the act itself is unsafe.    people really like these things.  maybe someone can explain it?
    Some people like it and other don't; you can say that for anything in this world.   I don't see why it is necessary to explain why I like to shoot and even if I did how it would change anything.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Good job, law enforcement, for resisting the urge to kick the shit out of this maggot:

Why do they always look creepy?
    That Sandy Hook killer looks creepy, every single school shooter looks creepy.
    because they're creepy
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    dignin said:
    Arming teachers is the dumbest thing I may have read on here. And a complete sideshow. 
    Is arming security personnel dumb?  There is armed security at concerts, sporting events, malls, etc.  I’m talking essentially about arming highly trained security personnel on campus that can respond quickly if someone tried to carry out something like this.  
    Keep pushing restrictions on these type of firearms all that you want, but until those restrictions take place, other measures can be implemented.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    PJPOWER said:
    Metal detectors could be effective against a long kid bringing a handgun to school. Unfortunately actually happens a lot more than we hear, and the good part is most of the time it is never used.
    But I don't think a few beeps from a machine would stop someone heavily armed who intends on a mass murder situation.
    That is why I would be fore magazine limits, a truly "fixed" magazine and background checks and other things like that too.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    mace1229 said:
    Good job, law enforcement, for resisting the urge to kick the shit out of this maggot:

because they're creepy
    I think some of the “creepy” look may actually be a contributor.  What kinds of motives are created when a child looks “creepy”?  What usually happens to a “creepy” looking child throughout their years in high school?  I guess that is the other side of the equation that we never can seem to overcome...bullying and tormenting of children that do not fit the norm.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

because they're creepy
    I think some of the “creepy” look may actually be a contributor.  What kinds of motives are created when a child looks “creepy”?  What usually happens to a “creepy” looking child throughout their years in high school?
    This shitbird played the part of creep. DId you read the stuff on how everyone around him worried about him- torturing animals, thieving, threatening, and being generally creepy? A f**kwad. 

Some people there is no hope for. We're a bizarre species and some of us are just designed poorly.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

because they're creepy
    I think some of the “creepy” look may actually be a contributor.  What kinds of motives are created when a child looks “creepy”?  What usually happens to a “creepy” looking child throughout their years in high school?
    This shitbird played the part of creep. DId you read the stuff on how everyone around him worried about him- torturing animals, thieving, threatening, and being generally creepy? A f**kwad. 

Some people there is no hope for. We're a bizarre species and some of us are just designed poorly.
    I have not, actually.  Do you have a good link that talks about this?  I agree, though, sociopaths are real and exist.  They are the monsters in society and walk around us every day.  Psychotics are not nearly as rare of a breed as we would all like to think.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

because they're creepy

I have not, actually.  Do you have a good link that talks about this?  I agree, though, sociopaths are real and exist.  They are the monsters in society and walk around us every day.  Psychotics are not nearly as rare of a breed as we would all like to think.
    And yet somehow he legally bought an ar....fuck
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    PJPOWER said:
    So most of us think that teachers should be payed higher wages, right?  *Most* of us agree that security personnel in schools should be armed, right?  
    If you had a percentage of trained willing teachers on every campus with dual security training and getting payed well above a typical teacher pay grade while these types of firearms are available to the public, you would kind of take care of three problems all at once...
    Of course that would require grants, and the deficit that no one seems to care about anymore would get even higher.  I wouldn’t mind paying higher taxes for that though.  Again, only while ar-15s are available to the public??

Why do you think most people want armed personnel in schools? Did you find some stats to prove that?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    Is arming security personnel dumb?  There is armed security at concerts, sporting events, malls, etc.  I’m talking essentially about arming highly trained security personnel on campus that can respond quickly if someone tried to carry out something like this.  
    Keep pushing restrictions on these type of firearms all that you want, but until those restrictions take place, other measures can be implemented.
    You pose a legit question, but how far are we going to push having security and at what expense? Say we start training and hiring armed security for every K-12 school in the country as a start. Conservatively, we can estimate needing at least 2 armed security at each location during the school day and also a part-time or on-call officer to cover days off (sick, vacation, etc.). Now, what should we be paying these fine people to carry a gun and protect our children if we want them to be both efficient and trained? Probably need to be at least $20.00/hr. Most recent data I could find estimated that there are 98,200 public school and another 34,600 private schools. So overall that's 132,800 schools we are talking about arming security personnel at, which doesn't even include higher education  That makes 132,800 x 2.5 = 332,00 security personnel across the country at an average of $41,600/yr. for a grand total of 13.8 billion dollars just for salaries without even factoring in the cost of benefits, equipment and training.

Or we could invest that money in actually doing something to combat the problem at its source instead of applying band-aids and adding to the gun surplus in this country. Anyone here think that 14 billion isn't enough to make an impact and implement a strong gun buy back program?

Keep thinking guns are the solution to the gun problem because only in this fucked up day and age could that even make sense.

It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.