America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Considering his views on the subject if they are armed it would make him quite the hypocrite.
    I thought I read somewhere that they are armed... but how would that make him a hypocrite? I never heard that he didn't think security guards or the police shouldn't be armed. I would imagine that he, like most others, is a logical person who understands that certain jobs actually do justify being armed.
    I'm just at a loss here. The same people that say that guns do not offer any protection are the ones defending people protecting others with guns...can't have it both ways. By the logic of previous posters (not specifically you Pjsoul), a celebrity's life would be at more risk because of the close proximity to firearms... At what point is or is not firearm a valid form of personal protection?
  • PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Considering his views on the subject if they are armed it would make him quite the hypocrite.
    I thought I read somewhere that they are armed... but how would that make him a hypocrite? I never heard that he didn't think security guards or the police shouldn't be armed. I would imagine that he, like most others, is a logical person who understands that certain jobs actually do justify being armed.
    I'm just at a loss here. The same people that say that guns do not offer any protection are the ones defending people protecting others with guns...can't have it both ways. By the logic of previous posters (not specifically you Pjsoul), a celebrity's life would be at more risk because of the close proximity to firearms... At what point is or is not firearm a valid form of personal protection?
    I'm not sure how you've jumped to that?

A celebrity's life is more at risk given the range of mental stability that exists in the massive fan base spectrum.

Guns are certainly necessary given the amount of guns already in existence. At some point in time, proportionately speaking, you might find your country safer with fewer guns lying around waiting to be used.

More guns equals more deaths by guns. The statistic is irrefutable. Dance around it all you want, but its a losing argument.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

gun's will never leave the American landscape (thank goodness) if that ever happened we would be come a country of outlaws......then watch what happens, what's good for you may not be good for me but I'll be awfully angry if my rights to bare arms are taken away by some limp wristed political sissy, we should take a look at how many unregistered gun are estimated to be in America and how many registered guns are here as well, taking them away will never happen.

Godfather.

The inmates run the asylum.

Nobody wants to take your guns GF. Well... except for your machine guns or handguns.

I was on this site at lunch last week and a colleague looked over my shoulder and saw the armed protestor at Landers' house. He was flabbergasted saying, "Where is that? Can they actually legally carry a gun like that? Can they actually legally own a gun like that? Wtf?"

I answered his questions. I told him they could buy a gun like that at the local sporting goods store. He just shook his head saying, "I knew they were a little f**ked, but not that f**ked. Holy shit."

That's just one man's opinion though.
    Sounds like a wuss.
    edited September 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

A celebrity's life is more at risk given the range of mental stability that exists in the massive fan base spectrum.

Guns are certainly necessary given the amount of guns already in existence. At some point in time, proportionately speaking, you might find your country safer with fewer guns lying around waiting to be used.

More guns equals more deaths by guns. The statistic is irrefutable. Dance around it all you want, but its a losing argument.
    Getting tired of the "guns=more deaths by guns" rhetoric. Anyone could also say "more guns=more lives saved by guns" or "more burglars stopped by guns" or "more deer harvested by guns". I for one believe that deaths from guns is not "always" a bad thing. If someone dies because they were breaking into a house to rape a grandma and were shot by her, then I for one am glad for that death by gun. The situations vary, but "more gun deaths" is not 100% negative relative to the reasoning behind the shooting. Less guns=less people defending themselves with guns, etc, etc, etc.
    Similar to saying "more water=more deaths by water" discounting that more water also = less people being thirsty...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • unsung said:

gun's will never leave the American landscape (thank goodness) if that ever happened we would be come a country of outlaws......then watch what happens, what's good for you may not be good for me but I'll be awfully angry if my rights to bare arms are taken away by some limp wristed political sissy, we should take a look at how many unregistered gun are estimated to be in America and how many registered guns are here as well, taking them away will never happen.

Godfather.

Nobody wants to take your guns GF. Well... except for your machine guns or handguns.

I was on this site at lunch last week and a colleague looked over my shoulder and saw the armed protestor at Landers' house. He was flabbergasted saying, "Where is that? Can they actually legally carry a gun like that? Can they actually legally own a gun like that? Wtf?"

I answered his questions. I told him they could buy a gun like that at the local sporting goods store. He just shook his head saying, "I knew they were a little f**ked, but not that f**ked. Holy shit."

Sounds like a wuss.
    He's shredded. No shit.

Just taken aback by the sight of some Cletus with a machine gun strapped to his shoulder in some residential neighborhood is all.

It's nuts in case you've never stopped to think about it. F**king absolutely nuts.
  • And before the slack jawed yokels get on here telling me 'you ain't even know what a machine gun is'... I reckon I tossed it in there for effect.
    I actually think it would be pretty idiotic strategically and practically for someone to go running around with an ar-15 over their shoulder everywhere they go too. Personal protection wise, it just puts attention on you. That being said, I don't really think it's a widespread problem. Sure there are some that do it in protest and as a display of rights, and are usually questioned by law enforcement to be sure they are maintaining propper safety procedures.
    My issue and support for the right to open carry comes in where I don't think it would be right for someone to be arrested if they are seen carrying a gun to/from their car or house, while on their way to a hunt, or to/from practicing at the range, etc. There are people out there who would like nothing better than to call the cops on everyone they see carrying a shotgun out in a field for a bird hunt. Plenty of people harassing hunters who are legally and safely exercising their rights the way it is. Again, I'm not one for strapping on an ar-15 in my daily wardrobe, but I can see how anti-gun displaying laws could be pretty intrusive and abused.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2016
    Sometimes guns are used for killing the bad guys...
    http://fox4kc.com/2016/09/13/second-suspect-arrested-and-charged-in-shawnee-wal-mart-shooting/

So those of you who strongly oppose guns wouldn't be thanking the law abiding citizen from saving more deaths by shooting the criminal before the police could ever show up...
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • unsungunsung Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

Godfather.

Sounds like a wuss.
    He's shredded. No shit.

Just taken aback by the sight of some Cletus with a machine gun strapped to his shoulder in some residential neighborhood is all.

It's nuts in case you've never stopped to think about it. F**king absolutely nuts.
    Well, my personal tool of choice is a Glock 17 with a few mags but I'm not the type to have an issue with someone that chooses differently.

• PP193448 said:

http://fox4kc.com/2016/09/13/second-suspect-arrested-and-charged-in-shawnee-wal-mart-shooting/

So those of you who strongly oppose guns wouldn't be thanking the law abiding citizen from saving more deaths by shooting the criminal before the police could ever show up...

Given the reality... of course we'd be thanking the 'good guys'.

Mathematics will tell you that it's inevitable there are going to be some success stories sprinkled in with all the tragedies. They are not even remotely comparable if you wish to consider the ratios though.
  • PP193448 said:

Given the reality... of course we'd be thanking the 'good guys'.

Mathematics will tell you that it's inevitable there are going to be some success stories sprinkled in with all the tragedies. They are not even remotely comparable if you wish to consider the ratios though.
    Firearms have prevented more deaths and crime then committing deaths and crime. Our good buddy Obama had the cdc do a study on it. The number did not support his narrative so the report didn't get the publicity he was wanting.

"The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council released the results of their research through the CDC last month. Researchers compiled data from previous studies in order to guide future research on gun violence, noting that “almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year.”
  • "There are 20,000 gun suicides in the U.S. every year, more than 50 every single day. That’s more than half of all suicides and two-thirds of all gun deaths.
    Research shows a gun in the home makes a suicide three times more likely.The firearm suicide rate has increased more than 13 percent between 2007 and 2013
    Suicide is the second leading cause of death among adolescents and young adults aged 10 to 24 years
    85 to 91 percent of firearm suicide attempts are fatal"
    bradycampaign.org/the-truth-about-suicide-guns
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes

"There are 20,000 gun suicides in the U.S. every year, more than 50 every single day. That’s more than half of all suicides and two-thirds of all gun deaths.
    Research shows a gun in the home makes a suicide three times more likely.The firearm suicide rate has increased more than 13 percent between 2007 and 2013
    Suicide is the second leading cause of death among adolescents and young adults aged 10 to 24 years

Sounds to me like people are not seeking adequate mental health treatment. Let's go ahead and tell them that their mental health diagnosis will be logged in a government database, that's sure to make them more willing to seek help...
  • PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Who the hell said guns don't offer protection?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Getting tired of the "guns=more deaths by guns" rhetoric. Anyone could also say "more guns=more lives saved by guns" or "more burglars stopped by guns" or "more deer harvested by guns". I for one believe that deaths from guns is not "always" a bad thing. If someone dies because they were breaking into a house to rape a grandma and were shot by her, then I for one am glad for that death by gun. The situations vary, but "more gun deaths" is not 100% negative relative to the reasoning behind the shooting. Less guns=less people defending themselves with guns, etc, etc, etc.
    Similar to saying "more water=more deaths by water" discounting that more water also = less people being thirsty...
    Do you have any sources that say more guns equal more lives saved?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Do you have any sources that say more guns equal more lives saved?
    Numerous, for example, any time someone has justifiably used one in self-defense during a home invasion. If they had zero guns, then it is quite possible they would be dead.
    Here are several examples. in some examples, having two guns present instead of only one save unknown numbers of lives.
    http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2015/03/10-cases-where-an-armed-citizen-took-down-an-active-shooter/#10-cases-where-an-armed-citizen-took-down-an-active-shooter-2

"There are 20,000 gun suicides in the U.S. every year, more than 50 every single day. That’s more than half of all suicides and two-thirds of all gun deaths.

The percentages of suicides attributable to firearms and poisoning were lower in 2014 than in 1999 for both females and males.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db241.htm
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    PJPOWER said:

The percentages of suicides attributable to firearms and poisoning were lower in 2014 than in 1999 for both females and males.
    If I remember correctly, gun ownership (by household) has gone down in that time period. That could be the cause of less suicides by firearm.....but that is pure speculation on my part.
    dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

If I remember correctly, gun ownership (by household) has gone down in that time period. That could be the cause of less suicides by firearm.....but that is pure speculation on my part.
    Evidently they want "sources" around here, lol. I just hate the more=more and less=less argument. It disregards all of the other factors that may be effecting the stats. As my Sociology professor drilled into our brains time after time, "Corrolation does not mean causation". There are so many factors socially and economically that effect suicide/homicide rates besides "people have guns".
  • PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Evidently they want "sources" around here, lol. I just hate the more=more and less=less argument. It disregards all of the other factors that may be effecting the stats. As my Sociology professor drilled into our brains time after time, "Corrolation does not mean causation". There are so many factors socially and economically that effect suicide/homicide rates besides "people have guns".
    So it doesn't make sense to you?

You're trying to deflect here. Of course there are causal or motivational factors, but the correlation is- as I said earlier- irrefutable. Especially when you compare the US to other countries with many of the same problems, yet nowhere near as armed and nowhere near as many gun homicides.

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

You're trying to deflect here. Of course there are causal or motivational factors, but the correlation is- as I said earlier- irrefutable. Especially when you compare the US to other countries with many of the same problems, yet nowhere near as armed and nowhere near as many gun homicides.
    Those other countries don't have Chicago.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,869
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Lol, Chicago accounts for about 2% of it. How do you account for the other 98%?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Pretty sure around 75% of gun deaths in this country are gang related. So it s probably time to step it up and make these types of gang activities illegal.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Pretty sure around 75% of gun deaths in this country are gang related. So it s probably time to step it up and make these types of gang activities illegal.
    That number is WAY off apparently, according to this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/evan-defilippis/do-we-have-a-gang-problem_b_5071639.html
    This sites that gang related gun deaths only account for 29% of gun deaths overall. Nonetheless, just end prohibition and a large portion of that gang/gun problem would probably go away (and no, it's not a hypocritical statement, lol, since I think the US's gun problem is its gun culture, not regulations... not that more rigorous background checks aren't needed too).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

It's just too easy, in your country, to murder someone with a gun.

With access and ownership, people become brazen. Look at Unsung's attitude earlier when he said my colleague sounded 'like a wuss' for being astounded looking at a citizen in a residential neighborhood armed like a soldier.
  • mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Or make drugs legal- a no brainer really.

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

Or make drugs legal- a no brainer really.
    Weed sure. The rest, no way. It s crazy how many heroin deaths are around here.
    what are canadian drug laws like? is weed legal? is heroin that bad up there?
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

That number is WAY off apparently, according to this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/evan-defilippis/do-we-have-a-gang-problem_b_5071639.html
    This sites that gang related gun deaths only account for 29% of gun deaths overall. Nonetheless, just end prohibition and a large portion of that gang/gun problem would probably go away (and no, it's not a hypocritical statement, lol, since I think the US's gun problem is its gun culture, not regulations... not that more rigorous background checks aren't needed too).
    my bad, not the country but in chicago.
    on a serious note, nearly 32,000 americans are killed by guns. but, (this is something we've hashed out lots) 60% of those deaths are deaths by suicide. so of course which grabs your attention more, 32,000 or approx 11,000.
    edited September 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

dignin said:

PJPOWER said:

my bad, not the country but in chicago.
    on a serious note, nearly 32,000 americans are killed by guns. but, (this is something we've hashed out lots) 60% of those deaths are deaths by suicide. so of course which grabs your attention more, 32,000 or approx 11,000.
    Yes, sorry, I was going with the homicide numbers (300 in Chicago is about 2% of 11,000). not just deaths in general. I don't consider suicide a relevant stat to be honest. I support people's right to kill themselves (not that I don't also support better mental health care too!). I don't really care if they use a gun, a bridge, pills, a rope, whatever. I have read that some think people would not kill themselves if they didn't have access to a gun specifically... I dunno. I don't really buy that.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
This discussion has been closed.