Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    It's hypocritical.

When they give up their armed guards then make a video. Until then they should stfu.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    They should "stfu"? The First Amendment is not nearly as important as the precious Second Amendment, apparently.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    They don't care about my 2nd, why should I care about their 1st?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    Because the rights argument is one that gun advocates push all the time. Weakens that case to suggest others should not be exercising their own rights.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Forgive me if I'm not sympathetic to their difficulties that they face in life. However when a group wants to deny me my rights I lose any respect for them, they brought it upon themselves.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited August 2014
    unsung said:

Forgive me if I'm not sympathetic to their difficulties that they face in life. However when a group wants to deny me my rights I lose any respect for them, they brought it upon themselves.

And that can be turned right back around. Due to ones want to have a gun it takes away my rights to live in safe environment. Also celebrities could get rid of their body guards with guns if we didn't have a gun free for all.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    yeah i'm with callen except i'll change gun to car. so due to ones want to have a car, it takes away my right to live in a safe environment. if you think you are more likely to be shot than run over, I think you have that irrational fear I keep hearing about.

and @thirty, I agree the trade off is weak. people die so I can shoot shit. yeah that sucks, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it sucks more than, people die so I can drive to the mall without my armpits sweating. I know for you it's about an items purpose, if it has a purpose it's all good if it kills. and how convenient for you that everything except for guns falls into that category.

it comes down to putting certain people on that infamous pedestal. I appreciate that people killed by guns are the most important in the world to you, but surely you can appreciate that just because I don't pick the same people as you, doesn't mean i'm wrong. i'm sticking with people killed by cars on my pedestal. we don't need them, they kill babies up to old folks, they kill an unimaginable number of animals every year, all the while dumping out shit tons of pollution into our atmosphere. how could anyone think that's acceptable to live with?

if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options

yeah i'm with callen except i'll change gun to car. so due to ones want to have a car, it takes away my right to live in a safe environment. if you think you are more likely to be shot than run over, I think you have that irrational fear I keep hearing about.

and @thirty, I agree the trade off is weak. people die so I can shoot shit. yeah that sucks, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it sucks more than, people die so I can drive to the mall without my armpits sweating. I know for you it's about an items purpose, if it has a purpose it's all good if it kills. and how convenient for you that everything except for guns falls into that category.

it comes down to putting certain people on that infamous pedestal. I appreciate that people killed by guns are the most important in the world to you, but surely you can appreciate that just because I don't pick the same people as you, doesn't mean i'm wrong. i'm sticking with people killed by cars on my pedestal. we don't need them, they kill babies up to old folks, they kill an unimaginable number of animals every year, all the while dumping out shit tons of pollution into our atmosphere. how could anyone think that's acceptable to live with?

See my offering in the other thread about the 9 year old girl. The response could suffice for this post as well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

Yeah yeah yeah. Car gun comparisons been rehashed and rehashed.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    callen said:

Yep. Never works.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    callen said:

unsung said:

And that can be turned right back around. Due to ones want to have a gun it takes away my rights to live in safe environment. Also celebrities could get rid of their body guards with guns if we didn't have a gun free for all.
    Having a handgun has made me safer. I had to shoot a rabid dog with a handgun (cannot really carry a shotgun everywhere I go) while working on a ranch. Why should someone's fear of handguns deny me my right to protect myself and live in a safer environment?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm glad it kept you safe...but jeez, I just had flashbacks to Old Yeller :(

• Options
    hedonist said:

I'm glad it kept you safe...but jeez, I just had flashbacks to Old Yeller :(

Lol, I don't know that I could have shot Old Yeller! I would have just ended up with rabies myself. This was some stray pit bull looking thing that was in pretty bad shape.

• Options
    I understand - Yeller was the first thing that came to mind.

And I'm sorry - I shouldn't have made light of what must have been difficult for you...though humane for the dog.
  • Options
    callen said:

The funny thing is, cars are far more regulated than firearms.
    PJPOWER said:

callen said:

unsung said:

Having a handgun has made me safer. I had to shoot a rabid dog with a handgun (cannot really carry a shotgun everywhere I go) while working on a ranch. Why should someone's fear of handguns deny me my right to protect myself and live in a safer environment?
    I respect your right to your gun. Gun ownership is very clearly an integral part of America's cultural identity and as such, I don't have a problem with it within the confines of the United States. Having said that, I do not believe firearms create a safer environment. Sure, there are many wonderful anecdotal examples of Americans defending themselves with their firearms but I can't help but wonder why many other industrial nations do so well without such extensive gun ownership.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Using a car isn't a right, owning a firearm is.

• Options
    unsung said:

But don't you think basic safety and common sense practices / checks should be in place for both?

Free speech is a right, but it doesn't give carte blanche for people act recklessly or put others in danger.

• Options
    unsung said:

I suppose this is one of the reasons I appreciate living in Canada. Just like operating a car, owning a firearm up here isn't a right either. The right to be reckless and irresponsible to the detriment of your friends and neighbours isn't something I'm particularly interested in as a Canadian. I'm more than happy to see those rights remain in the United States.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

unsung said:

But don't you think basic safety and common sense practices / checks should be in place for both?

Free speech is a right, but it doesn't give carte blanche for people act recklessly or put others in danger.

There are checks in place. Most "common-sense" practices are anything but.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

callen said:

unsung said:

Can justify all you like. I know on the whole we all have higher chance of being injured or killed by a gun versus a Western European country that isn't inundated with guns.

Gun culture has made this country worse.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    callen said:

PJPOWER said:

callen said:

unsung said:

Can justify all you like. I know on the whole we all have higher chance of being injured or killed by a gun versus a Western European country that isn't inundated with guns.

"Gun culture has made this country worse". I'll have to respectfully disagree with that OPINION. Owning guns and hunting has definitely added much recreation, fellowship, knowledge, and food to my life :). All of those things make my life=better...but we all have our OPINIONS! I'm pretty sure that owning a snowboard makes you twice as likely as being killed in a snowboarding accident(a far more dangerous sport than hunting may I add) but people choose to take that risk to enjoy living their lives in the way they want to live their lives. In fact, statistics show that being born increases your chance of dying by any means by 100%. If I wanted to be a fucking Western European, I would move there...but I have no desire to.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Double post...
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

callen said:

PJPOWER said:

callen said:

unsung said:

"Gun culture has made this country worse". I'll have to respectfully disagree with that OPINION. Owning guns and hunting has definitely added much recreation, fellowship, knowledge, and food to my life :)
    Well we wouldn't want to cut into your recreation to save a few thousand lives, that would be such a shame.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

callen said:

PJPOWER said:

callen said:

unsung said:

"Gun culture has made this country worse". I'll have to respectfully disagree with that OPINION. Owning guns and hunting has definitely added much recreation, fellowship, knowledge, and food to my life :)
    Well we wouldn't want to cut into your recreation to save a few thousand lives, that would be such a shame.
    This is what gets me and is a place to bring up the dreaded "car analogy". Taking away every car in the world would save millions of lives, but we wouldn't want to cut into people's ability to get from one place to another in a fast way, "that would be such a shame". Stop using idiotic rhetoric and comparisons against me and I'll do the same...promise.
    Would taking away all violent forms of media save thousands of lives? Would people be willing to outlaw expressions of violence through movies, video games, etc? Why not? What created people's disposition towards violence in this day and age? Let's consider that for once. I promise it's not farmer Joe with his guns.

• Options
    Hahaha idiotic rhetoric? Relating recreation to travel should qualify. Auto travel makes medical care, family contact, and career choice possible. The car analogy works against you here, as you are concerned with recreation. Driving fast is fun and yet we all accept speed limits as rational limits to our recreation, due to the undeniable correlation between auto speed and rate of fatality.
  • Options
    Farmer Joe with hunting rifles and shotguns isn't the target of gun control. Commando Billy with his handguns and assault rifles, and gang members with their handguns and mac 10s are the target, farmer Joe is a deflection. I have a rifle, and *GASP* I have used it to put food on the spit.
    Doesn't mean I have to stand in the way of mag limits, BG checks, and waiting periods out of some misguided solidarity handed down by the rich men who profit from gun sales.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    rgambs said:

Farmer Joe with hunting rifles and shotguns isn't the target of gun control. Commando Billy with his handguns and assault rifles, and gang members with their handguns and mac 10s are the target, farmer Joe is a deflection. I have a rifle, and *GASP* I have used it to put food on the spit.
    Doesn't mean I have to stand in the way of mag limits, BG checks, and waiting periods out of some misguided solidarity handed down by the rich men who profit from gun sales.

So how exactly do you propose taking away handguns from gang members?
    rgambs said:

Hahaha idiotic rhetoric? Relating recreation to travel should qualify. Auto travel makes medical care, family contact, and career choice possible. The car analogy works against you here, as you are concerned with recreation. Driving fast is fun and yet we all accept speed limits as rational limits to our recreation, due to the undeniable correlation between auto speed and rate of fatality.

So you are saying that everyone used a car in a legal form or fashion 100% of the time? Why are cars even built with the ability of going over the speed limit?There are limits on firearms as well, lots of them. I just fail to understand how making something illegal is going to stop people from using them in illegal ways...round and round we go. I'm tired, good luck finding a magic wand to make guns disappear.
  • Options
    The USA is the most armed country in the world. The USA features 97 guns per 100 people. This is the highest ownership rate in the world- by far. The second most armed country is Serbia at 58.2 guns per 100 people.

The USA boasts the highest firearm related death rate of any developed country... by far- 10.3 per 100,000 bite the bullet each year. For comparison's sake... Canada 2.38 (30.8 guns per 100 people) and the UK 0.25 (6.2 guns per 100,000).

* Note that Canada has a higher ownership rate than the UK and, correspondingly, a higher death rate as well.

So... use really weak 'car' analogies and 'walking across the street' analogies and 'kitchen fork' analogies to rationalize and preserve unchecked gun ownership... but the bottom line is... more guns= more deaths by guns. This is indisputable and a homerun for the anti-gun crowd.

People should be more forthright. Instead of using feeble arguments to justify gun ownership and making yourself look slightly goofy in the process... just say, "Mmmmm. Guns" ... because honestly... as elaborate as one might try and make themselves sound trying to convince someone of the value of guns in light of the staggering yearly death rates and shocking daily incidents... that's what the argument comes across as.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited September 2014

The USA is the most armed country in the world. The USA features 97 guns per 100 people. This is the highest ownership rate in the world- by far. The second most armed country is Serbia at 58.2 guns per 100 people.

The USA boasts the highest firearm related death rate of any developed country... by far- 10.3 per 100,000 bite the bullet each year. For comparison's sake... Canada 2.38 (30.8 guns per 100 people) and the UK 0.25 (6.2 guns per 100,000).

* Note that Canada has a higher ownership rate than the UK and, correspondingly, a higher death rate as well.

So... use really weak 'car' analogies and 'walking across the street' analogies and 'kitchen fork' analogies to rationalize and preserve unchecked gun ownership... but the bottom line is... more guns= more deaths by guns. This is indisputable and a homerun for the anti-gun crowd.

People should be more forthright. Instead of using feeble arguments to justify gun ownership and making yourself look slightly goofy in the process... just say, "Mmmmm. Guns" ... because honestly... as elaborate as one might try and make themselves sound trying to convince someone of the value of guns in light of the staggering yearly death rates and shocking daily incidents... that's what the argument comes across as.

Bullshit, I think that what you stated is exactly why people use the car analogy. People owning more guns=more gun deaths. People owning more cars=more car deaths. But...anyone could also say that people owning guns=more people defending their homes with guns. People owning guns=more people using guns to avoid being kidnaped and raped...There are two sides to everything. "Mmmmmm, ignorance"-the anti gun crowd
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Double quote again, baaa!

This discussion has been closed.