Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2014

The reason the general public doesn't need an assault rifle is the same reason why the general public doesn't need a rocket launcher.

I don't give two shits about how gun enthusiasts want to misinterpret the constitution. People will keep dying needlessly and we'll eventually have much stronger gun controls then even the liberals are asking for now. All this because of the rights obsession with making themselves feel like their penises are bigger by having assault weapons.

Interestingly enough, many of my liberal friends are hunters and own some of these so called "assault rifles" as well. Again, good luck persuading any gun owners to give even a little with rhetoric like this. I do not give one shit about your misinterpretation of the 2nd amendment.
    And my penis is adequately sized regardless of my choice of rifles, thank you very much, lol
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    unsung said:

Mental health issues are a very minor part of shootings, just like the use of an AR15. It is what sells newspapers though.

You want to get to the heart of the issue? What are the demographics of most shootings in Chicago? It isn't mental health.

Poor and under educated?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Damn double posts!!!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,024
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I just think it's time for them to completely rewrite the 2nd amendment.

Or just take it for what it actually says and in the time/context it was written in.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    My point? Just pointing out America's gun violence....aptly placed under the correct thread

• Options
    edited September 2014

My point? Just pointing out America's gun violence....aptly placed under the correct thread

Well I guess the woman did violently stop the intruder with the help of a gun in my post above.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Well I guess the woman did violently stop the intruder with the help of a gun in my post above.
    Yes she did....I would have shot him before he got that close to me though. No assault rifle required.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

And how many innocent people were killed with guns today? Guns stolen from home owners like this woman.

More guns. Woo hoo. Shoot em up.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

PJPOWER said:

And how many innocent people were killed with guns today? Guns stolen from home owners like this woman.

More guns. Woo hoo. Shoot em up.
    I don't know, please tell me how many?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

Only gun users know what an assault rifle is and how guns work?

Only anti-gunners use the term assault rifle.

Oh and ammo isn't cheap, another myth busted.
    What do pro-gunners use to describe their assault rifles?

And there has been no myth busted here: it depends on what you define as cheap. From my perspective (and likely many others' as well), bullets are ridiculously cheap. Sorry.
    I guess what makes the term "assault rifle" and "military style" idiotic to anyone that knows anything about firearms is that there is a big difference between an ar-15 and the fully automatic version that is used by the military. I do not know of any military that would use an ar-15. It is a semi-automatic rifle= one trigger squeeze, one bullet. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a machine gun. Many people hunt with them, they are particularly effective against wild boar when out on foot because of their versatility. It may seem like nothing to someone uneducated, but to someone that knows about firearms, the term and people who use the term "military style assault rifle" is mocked and void of any credit. It shows that you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to guns and makes any sensible gun owners think that only the people that are ignorant about guns are trying to push the legislation pertaining to them.
    Military 'style' weapon.

In common written English language, a single quotation can be used to distinguish a word for its emphasis. In this particular usage, I chose to use a single quotation around 'style' so that it could be understood that the AR-15 was not an actual military rifle... but a rifle that has similar characteristics of one. I should have done so before, but I did not realize I was corresponding with someone who needed such a device to understand the meaning.

You don't think an 'assault' rifle differs from a traditional hunting rifle? Don't you think it's pistol grip and high capacity magazine make it a little different from, say, the .30-06 (my father's favourite hunting rifle).

I am far from ignorant of guns. I was raised by an avid hunter and fisherman who taught me everything I needed to know about guns. For many years, I spent days and nights in the interior of British Columbia's forests hunting for food we ate. For personal reasons, hunting is something neither my father or I persist in; however, I wouldn't begrudge anyone of their right to hunt themselves.
    If more guns=more deaths then why haven't we seen a skyrocket in gun deaths over the past 4 years? More guns were sold over the past 4 years that any time throughout history, stores couldn't keep them on the shelves. By that logic, it's amazing any of us are still alive... And how does a pistol grip make a gun more deadly? Yes, a large magazine makes a gun hold more ammunition, but I would still say that your father's "30-06" hunting rifle is far more deadly than a 5.56x45 or .223 that most ar-15 type rifles shoot. 30-06 is merely the caliber of a rifle and shoots faster, further, and with more force than a .223 caliber. This is where I would like more specificity in the anti-gun croud. I've heard people say "let's ban the ammo that ar-15s use" which is the same damn ammo that any other hunting rifle uses. In fact, 30-06 was the caliber used in "assault rifles" in WW2 and there are 30-06 rifles out there that can accept just as large of magazines as ar-15s. Not all semi-auto rifles are ar-15s. Many of the popular hunting rifles, such as the Browning BAR(which also comes in the popular 30-06) is just as deadly and fires at the exact same rate (one squeeze, one shot) as an ar-15, but it does not "look scary" therefor it does not get the attention. I think the arguments do need to be made with the right terms because many people know nothing about these kinds of things and are grouping semi-automatic rifles in the same categories as military weapons because of terms like "assault rifle" and "military style". Does that make a little more sense? And how the fuck does a pistol grip effect anything? I am actually way more accurate without using a pistol grip...oh yeah, it makes it look "scary".
    I'm not sure what we are arguing about now?

The post you quoted was me responding to your allegation that I had no clue of what I was talking about regarding assault rifles. I noted some characteristic differences between the common hunting rifle and the assault rifle that you suggested I knew nothing about.

A pistol grip allows the shooter to hold the gun below eye level and spray bullets more effectively than the classic rifle stock. So, let's not pretend that a pistol grip makes a rifle less formidable. If pistol grips made the assault rifle less accurate with no 'upside' to speak of...militaries throughout the world would not want their rifles equipped with them.

I also understand that the assault rifle typically uses smaller ammunition than many hunting rifles, but that's hardly relevant. The smaller ammunition packs neatly into magazines allowing for more rounds and more shots. These rifles are designed for killing in closer proximity than a hunting rifle that is designed for single shots that carry longer distances to kill, say a deer 500 yards away. But ask the parents of Sandy Hook if they feel the smaller calibre bullets make any difference to flesh and bone from close quarters.
    "Hold below eye level and spray more effectively". Wow, now I've heard everything... I thought we had already established that semi-auto rifles do not "spray bullets". And I would like to see someone accurately shoot a gun without holding it up to look through the sights. Sounds like you have watched one too many Rambo movies. You clearly do not have enough knowledge of firearms to convince any firearm owner to give theirs up...good luck to you my friend.
    Yee Haw.

Do you think Lanza took aim at every one of those kids or do you think he sprayed a few shots pulling the trigger as fast as he could assisted by his pistol grip?

My friend.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited September 2014

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

And there has been no myth busted here: it depends on what you define as cheap. From my perspective (and likely many others' as well), bullets are ridiculously cheap. Sorry.
    I guess what makes the term "assault rifle" and "military style" idiotic to anyone that knows anything about firearms is that there is a big difference between an ar-15 and the fully automatic version that is used by the military. I do not know of any military that would use an ar-15. It is a semi-automatic rifle= one trigger squeeze, one bullet. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a machine gun. Many people hunt with them, they are particularly effective against wild boar when out on foot because of their versatility. It may seem like nothing to someone uneducated, but to someone that knows about firearms, the term and people who use the term "military style assault rifle" is mocked and void of any credit. It shows that you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to guns and makes any sensible gun owners think that only the people that are ignorant about guns are trying to push the legislation pertaining to them.
    Military 'style' weapon.

In common written English language, a single quotation can be used to distinguish a word for its emphasis. In this particular usage, I chose to use a single quotation around 'style' so that it could be understood that the AR-15 was not an actual military rifle... but a rifle that has similar characteristics of one. I should have done so before, but I did not realize I was corresponding with someone who needed such a device to understand the meaning.

You don't think an 'assault' rifle differs from a traditional hunting rifle? Don't you think it's pistol grip and high capacity magazine make it a little different from, say, the .30-06 (my father's favourite hunting rifle).

I am far from ignorant of guns. I was raised by an avid hunter and fisherman who taught me everything I needed to know about guns. For many years, I spent days and nights in the interior of British Columbia's forests hunting for food we ate. For personal reasons, hunting is something neither my father or I persist in; however, I wouldn't begrudge anyone of their right to hunt themselves.
    If more guns=more deaths then why haven't we seen a skyrocket in gun deaths over the past 4 years? More guns were sold over the past 4 years that any time throughout history, stores couldn't keep them on the shelves. By that logic, it's amazing any of us are still alive... And how does a pistol grip make a gun more deadly? Yes, a large magazine makes a gun hold more ammunition, but I would still say that your father's "30-06" hunting rifle is far more deadly than a 5.56x45 or .223 that most ar-15 type rifles shoot. 30-06 is merely the caliber of a rifle and shoots faster, further, and with more force than a .223 caliber. This is where I would like more specificity in the anti-gun croud. I've heard people say "let's ban the ammo that ar-15s use" which is the same damn ammo that any other hunting rifle uses. In fact, 30-06 was the caliber used in "assault rifles" in WW2 and there are 30-06 rifles out there that can accept just as large of magazines as ar-15s. Not all semi-auto rifles are ar-15s. Many of the popular hunting rifles, such as the Browning BAR(which also comes in the popular 30-06) is just as deadly and fires at the exact same rate (one squeeze, one shot) as an ar-15, but it does not "look scary" therefor it does not get the attention. I think the arguments do need to be made with the right terms because many people know nothing about these kinds of things and are grouping semi-automatic rifles in the same categories as military weapons because of terms like "assault rifle" and "military style". Does that make a little more sense? And how the fuck does a pistol grip effect anything? I am actually way more accurate without using a pistol grip...oh yeah, it makes it look "scary".

The post you quoted was me responding to your allegation that I had no clue of what I was talking about regarding assault rifles. I noted some characteristic differences between the common hunting rifle and the assault rifle that you suggested I knew nothing about.

A pistol grip allows the shooter to hold the gun below eye level and spray bullets more effectively than the classic rifle stock. So, let's not pretend that a pistol grip makes a rifle less formidable. If pistol grips made the assault rifle less accurate with no 'upside' to speak of...militaries throughout the world would not want their rifles equipped with them.

I also understand that the assault rifle typically uses smaller ammunition than many hunting rifles, but that's hardly relevant. The smaller ammunition packs neatly into magazines allowing for more rounds and more shots. These rifles are designed for killing in closer proximity than a hunting rifle that is designed for single shots that carry longer distances to kill, say a deer 500 yards away. But ask the parents of Sandy Hook if they feel the smaller calibre bullets make any difference to flesh and bone from close quarters.
    "Hold below eye level and spray more effectively". Wow, now I've heard everything... I thought we had already established that semi-auto rifles do not "spray bullets". And I would like to see someone accurately shoot a gun without holding it up to look through the sights. Sounds like you have watched one too many Rambo movies. You clearly do not have enough knowledge of firearms to convince any firearm owner to give theirs up...good luck to you my friend.
    Yee Haw.

Do you think Lanza took aim at every one of those kids or do you think he sprayed a few shots pulling the trigger as fast as he could assisted by his pistol grip?

My friend.
    Coming from someone that is quite familiar with using a pistol grip...I can confidently say that it probably made no difference what so ever. A pistol grip does not give some kind of magical tactical advantage like some uneducated people like to imagine. I'm guessing that your odds of hitting someone in a crowded room at close proximity are probably pretty high no matter what you are using or whether you are aiming or not.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

What's the point? The actual wording of the 2nd Amendment is irrelevant. No matter how you rewrite it, gun advocates will continue to demand absolute deregulation of firearms. America has had a longstanding obsession with firearms. No amount of legislation or regulation can change that. Changing the Constitution wouldn't do anything. Just take solace in knowing that this obsession with guns isn't nearly as predominant in Canada.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    callen said:

unsung said:

Mental health issues are a very minor part of shootings, just like the use of an AR15. It is what sells newspapers though.

You want to get to the heart of the issue? What are the demographics of most shootings in Chicago? It isn't mental health.

Poor and under educated?

You are on the right track.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

Military 'style' weapon.

Yee Haw.

My friend.

Really?

Your argument has come down to a pistol grip?

This thread has become humorous.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll bite.

What should it say?
  • Options
    unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

Military 'style' weapon.

Yee Haw.

My friend.

Really?

Some fellow coworkers and I are getting a good laugh about it :)
  • Options
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'll bite.

What should it say?
    Every American has the right to shoot first and ask questions later.

I think that should do it.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

Military 'style' weapon.

Yee Haw.

My friend.

Really?

Some fellow coworkers and I are getting a good laugh about it :)
    Well it must be welcome relief from the typical day where all your co-workers laugh at your tooth.

This has not come down to a pistol grip, Unsung. This has come down to some guy telling everyone they don't know what defines an assault rifle. I told him some of the distinguishing characteristics that typically define an assault rifle.

What doesn't keep coming up is the responses one might expect from some of the prudent points made that Cletus wishes to dodge because he either doesn't understand what has been presented to him or he simply has no answer for.

Here's a lower level thinking stumper: how many bullets did Lanza fire that infamous day with his (hyuk hyuk) assault rifle?

Stumper number two which requires slightly above average thinking ability: would it have been possible for Lanza to fire that many shots with a shotgun or hunting rifle and a smaller magazine.
  • Options
    unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

Military 'style' weapon.

Yee Haw.

My friend.

Really?

Not near as humorous as you being challenged to present data to back up your silly claim earlier to which you had none.

Let a couple pages go by and fire up again, huh? We haven't forgotten there, Champ.

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited September 2014

nicely done, blue&white. you'll be taken seriously from here on out. thank you for your time & wonderful & clear thoughtout bull manure
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Wow, someone is now in a tiz. I am far from being your backwoods redneck that you are implying (that's a little further easy Texas, ha), but when all of your other arguments fail...demonize demonize demonize. I am done responding to you and your insults. Real mature of you. I may have missed something, but I'm pretty sure I've responded to all of your bullshit, although it may not have been the response you desired. Carry on being a jackass to someone else.
    "Ye haw, hyuk hyuk hyuk"-as stated by YOU!
  • Options
    It's par for the course.

Person says that mental is a huge problem with gun crimes, I disagree and I'm told to provide proof. Since I refuse to do the research for them they try to belittle my case. 500 people killed in Chicago annually, a high majority are gang related, yet I need to provide proof. Yeah, ok.
  • Options
    unsung said:

It's par for the course.

Person says that mental is a huge problem with gun crimes, I disagree and I'm told to provide proof. Since I refuse to do the research for them they try to belittle my case. 500 people killed in Chicago annually, a high majority are gang related, yet I need to provide proof. Yeah, ok.

If CNN didn't report it, it didn't happen :)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    unsung said:

callen said:

unsung said:

Poor and under educated?

You are on the right track.
    Yeay!!! :D

We have challenges and I will admit that human behavior change will do more than restricting guns.

Now getting funding to address the problem will now be our rub Mr Unsung. So what do we do. We can't just shoot our way out of the problem and don't want to live in society with everyone having six shooter strapped to their waist.

Store owner and robbers got into gun battle in my fair city today and mom pushing stroller was hit.
  • Options

This has not come down to a pistol grip, Unsung. This has come down to some guy telling everyone they don't know what defines an assault rifle. I told him some of the distinguishing characteristics that typically define an assault rifle.

What doesn't keep coming up is the responses one might expect from some of the prudent points made that Cletus wishes to dodge because he either doesn't understand what has been presented to him or he simply has no answer for.

Here's a lower level thinking stumper: how many bullets did Lanza fire that infamous day with his (hyuk hyuk) assault rifle?

Stumper number two which requires slightly above average thinking ability: would it have been possible for Lanza to fire that many shots with a shotgun or hunting rifle and a smaller magazine.

Answer #1: I don't know, nearly all evidence has been suppressed. Video surveillance hasn't been released, not even a still to prove Lanza did it. Early reports stated multiple shooters, now we are told to believe this 115lb weakling did this.

Answer #2: Probably. However this line of thinking is that 20 deaths instead of 26 is somehow preferred.

Question back at you. If the teachers were trained and armed how many people would this alleged shooter(s) have killed? 26? More? Less?
  • Options
    chadwick said:

nicely done, blue&white. you'll be taken seriously from here on out. thank you for your time & wonderful & clear thoughtout bull manure
    No problem. In a forum where vitriolic jabs and nastiness are the norm, I'm not particularly concerned whether I've earned your seal of approval or not. From an outsider's perspective, America's gun issue is absolutely absurd and it certainly doesn't seem like many people are really willing to entertain an open dialogue, even on these forums.

• Options
    unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

Military 'style' weapon.

Yee Haw.

My friend.

Really?

Come on your bud. You know Military Style Assault Weapon :D is much more effective (speed accuracy) than typical long gun and even a pistol.
  • Options
    Actually a pistol would be ideal for speed and close quarters accuracy.

(Temp bad guy role) If I had to plan an attack like this I would use a pistol, however I'm not a bad guy and of course I'm not going to do anything bad.

So I'm not entirely convinced that the report is entirely accurate.
This discussion has been closed.