Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327

I can't believe how stupid people are. Tragic but how in the hell does a 9 year old with an Uzi benefit anything/anyone?

well she might have to defend herself from the cookie monster. you know he is packing heat.

the better question is how does a 9 year benefit anything from a gun?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    gotta defend that border! how they gonna take her to the bundy ranch if she can only handle a semi-auto, she would just get laughed out of town!
    so sad...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Pretty stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    unsung said:

Pretty stupid thing to do.

Why? They're just enjoying their freedom and the rights afforded to them by the constitution. This is par for the course in Gunsville- home of the champions.

This forum has a dozen or more gun threads with countless scenarios that, to me, fall into the pretty stupid thing to do category.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I wouldn't let a 9 year old operate a chainsaw either.

I can't remember anyone anywhere saying that a 9 year old should be able to have a full auto Uzi.

But go ahead and keep making things up that make no sense, it's par for the course for the anti-gun crowd.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I can't remember anyone anywhere saying that a 9 year old should be able to have a full auto Uzi.

But go ahead and keep making things up that make no sense, it's par for the course for the anti-gun crowd.

Do you want the sense? Do you want sense? You can't handle the sense! (A Few Good Men reference)

The USA is the most armed country in the world. The USA features 97 guns per 100 people. This is the highest ownership rate in the world- by far. The second most armed country is Serbia at 58.2 guns per 100 people.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

In 2013, the USA lost 30 people a day to gun violence.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/31/president-obama-gun-control-push

But that doesn't include all the accidents and suicides. That rate, per capita, is 10.3 per 100,000. For comparison's sakes, Germany has 1.24 per 100,000 and Canada has 2.38 per 100,000.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

What's my point? My point is that if there was an epidemic of chainsaw murders in your country, you can safely bet that there would be laws implemented to curb the trend. Sure, chainsaw enthusiasts would be upset ("I wanna cut shit down! Why is my freedom compromised because some idiots are chopping people? I'm a good chainsaw owner. My chainsaw has never cut anybody"); however, the chainsaw industry is not entrenched within government and society enough to combat the most basic, logical, common sense approach to dealing with the problem as it manifests itself.

You can defend guns all you want, but the bottom line is it would be asinine to argue against the most simple and revealing correlation between your gun ownership rates and the corresponding gun death rates.

So, assuming you are not asinine, it would appear you want your guns and you are prepared to accept the deaths that come with them.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I think what this story means to me is that there are stupid people like this girls parents. people who believe that gun ownership is just a right but not a responsibility.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Take the 9 year old to the firing range and let her play with automatic weapons (because guns RAWK!) and traumatize her and end a life. Yeeeehaw!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    That why I said it was a stupid thing to do.

I trained my girlfriend for two hours straight with the proper handling of a firearm before I'd let her load it.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    unsung said:

I agree with you on this one-- that this 9 year old story doesnt not help with anti-gun crowd, because its just stupid and irresponsible on too many accounts. It shouldve never happened of course.
    However, it does certainly add to the oh shit we have too many guns and too many stupid people argument, which simply equates to more people killing people on accident with guns. I'm not arguing anything other than (my usual) that we've gone too far-- the gun culture-- and there's no turning back. Bleak outlook for both sides in my opinion.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    But wait. The NRA is fully in support of 9 year olds or children of any age being trained with any kind of firearm. It may sound stupid to us, but from what I know, the gun advocates stand behind what those parents and little girl were doing there that day.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

But wait. The NRA is fully in support of 9 year olds or children of any age being trained with any kind of firearm. It may sound stupid to us, but from what I know, the gun advocates stand behind what those parents and little girl were doing there that day.

Firmly behind.
  • Options
    yuppers, I want my guns and I accept the deaths that come with them. just like I accept the deaths that come with cars, alcohol, tobacco, steak knives, etc.
    as far as the little girl is concerned, I point my finger at the instructor. should have known the recoil power of the gun and never put it in her hands in the first place. parents are probably gun ignorant and left it to the instructor to make all the decisions.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Please provide a link.
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    According to the video with the first post on this shooting, the range owner will allow five year olds to fire 22's. As a Mom, not on my watch. And this whole tragedy makes me want to throw up. That little girl will never, ever get over this.
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Please provide a link.
    Hmm. What to post, what to post? So many options.... how about this one? http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/05/03/1961871/after-child-shooting-nra-conference-peddles-guns-for-kids/

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Please provide a link.
    Hmm. What to post, what to post? So many options.... how about this one? http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/05/03/1961871/after-child-shooting-nra-conference-peddles-guns-for-kids/

Your statement said any age, any firearm. That link doesn't back up your statement.
  • Options
    unsung said:

I trained my girlfriend for two hours straight with the proper handling of a firearm before I'd let her load it.

the problem i have is that story tends to make me believe that there are some people who don't train people well and that this can lead to bigger issues.

Just a simple question as I don't know. are there strict guild lines for training people on guns or is it different depending on the trainer?
  • Options
    unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Please provide a link.

Your statement said any age, any firearm. That link doesn't back up your statement.
    Well this is pleasant: http://skydamon.com/gt.html

And here it seems that they don't mind a 9 year old playing with an Uzi... they just don't want any wimpy instructors helping them do it. http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/08/27/nra-calls-for-tougher-gun-instructors/

• Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504

yuppers, I want my guns and I accept the deaths that come with them. just like I accept the deaths that come with cars, alcohol, tobacco, steak knives, etc.
    as far as the little girl is concerned, I point my finger at the instructor. should have known the recoil power of the gun and never put it in her hands in the first place. parents are probably gun ignorant and left it to the instructor to make all the decisions.

I would have to say I agree with this statement the most. In the professional world, there are inherent risks that are risk assessed and control measures are put in place to mitigate the risks. Examples are ear plugs, safety glasses, a defined shooting position, etc..
    Being a professional business and having professional instructors, it should have been known the recoil of that firearm and the force necessary to control it. It looks like the instructor used a technique to help the child by putting his left hand underneath the firearm and his right hand behind the child. I would have imagined if given a hypothetical situation, that there would have been additional safegaurds in place. Im not here to give answers as to what those safegaurds should be as I am not a professional in that field, but even I know that more could have been in place to prevent this tragedy. Condolences to this mans family, may he rest in peace, and pray that this young girl can overcome this.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

Please provide a link.

Well this is pleasant: http://skydamon.com/gt.html

And here it seems that they don't mind a 9 year old playing with an Uzi... they just don't want any wimpy instructors helping them do it. http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/08/27/nra-calls-for-tougher-gun-instructors/

This is great. You just used a parody site to support your case.

You win!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Freedom yes Freedom!

Freedom to bear arms!

Freedom to buy any type of arm!

Freedom to have large clips!

Freedom from gun registration!

Freedom to carrying a gun –OPENLY!

Freedom!!!!!

But is this really freedom?

No its not…..its living in fear……now living in Switzerland, or Germany, or other Western European countries…now that’s Freedom.

But No….not here…we have minorities….oooooooh boogey men…. And we have too many guns already so fuck it…

So more guns!

Bigger guns!!!

Larger caliber!!!

More FOX and NRA and Smith and Wesson and Glock

…and taking 9 year olds to the fkn gun range to shoot Uzi’s for FUN!

Yeah let Freedom Ring…..

Woo Hoo Freedom……shoot em up.

oh and lets not forget…God Bless America.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    unsung said:

Ironic thing by giving her a firearm...training or not you just increased her chances of being hurt or killed by a gun....oh and you as well.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

Problem is you've reduced the quality of life for others due to your irrational fears.
  • Options
    There's no proof to that either. Chances are you've been right next to someone who has carried concealed and you never knew it.
  • Options
    callen said:

unsung said:

Ironic thing by giving her a firearm...training or not you just increased her chances of being hurt or killed by a gun....oh and you as well.

There isn't a person here trying to say that it was a smart decision. Who are you trying to convince?
  • Options
    unsung said:

callen said:

unsung said:

There isn't a person here trying to say that it was a smart decision. Who are you trying to convince?
    Wasn't referring to Uzi incident. Was referring to your placing your GF at risk for adding a gun to her life.
  • Options
    unsung said:

There's no proof to that either. Chances are you've been right next to someone who has carried concealed and you never knew it.

Oh I know...in my neck of the woods surely daily. But that doesn't diminish the fact that if we had gun laws such as they do in Europe we'd have better lifestyle and reduced chance of being shot.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Sad story all around who knows how the kid will fare in life after this event , how do the parents look at themselves in the mirror and say yeah we thought it was a good idea ...
    No matter how you paint it the whole gun culture just gives me such a bad taste for how that mentality makes people think ....In other words i'd rather not mingle with gun enthusiast at all ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    callen said:

unsung said:

callen said:

unsung said:

Wasn't referring to Uzi incident. Was referring to your placing your GF at risk for adding a gun to her life.

A gun? That's funny.

Anyway we appreciate your concern, but don't worry we don't need others to tell us what's good for us. We have a handle on that.
This discussion has been closed.