America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I'm all for profiling, if someone looks batshit crazy or acts out of sorts then keep them in sight. If someone has ties or communications with known terrorists or organizations or are on a no fly list then a big red alert box should pop up on those instant background checks to let the seller know that is the case. Let's add known violent gang affiliation databases and start tracking that info as well. Better border securities that prevent the flow of illegal drugs and firearms.
    Let's try that a few years. If the government abuses that authority, then we can push for a repeal. I still do not see any logical or realistic way of getting "assault rifles" out of the hands of civilians due to modern technology, but I think it's a good idea for people to have access and knowledge of who they are selling to in order to make informed decisions. Blocking access to those databases does seem pretty crazy. Hell, let's make that public access so we all know if we are living next to a suspected terrorist. Follow through with harsh punishments for violent offenders
    I do not support "mental health databases" or whatever is being pushed in that realm, not that I think people with mental health problems should be buying guns, but because it could potentially turn those that really need help away and seems like a major violation of privacy.
    I am adamantly apposed to any confiscation programs as it would essentially start a civil war. If you are okay with a police state then that is your prerogative. Buyback programs have been largely unsuccessful.
    The problem is that there is no way of 100% stopping such an intigrated and culturally diverse society from experiencing problems with sociopathic individuals. You can personally start helping society by being realistic and aware of your surroundings. You do not have to live in fear, but know exits and what not when you go into places. Know some basic survival skills for if you are put in one of these situations. You do not have to wait on the politicians to enact laws to start doing those things!

Admirable coming from you , I bet none of the above you mention ever gets put in place why let's see if you can tell me why ? It's easy just three letters you know the letters I'm talking about ...
    That and any time a bill gets brought up there are about 100 things that try and get sneaked in for either political reasons or to please constituents. Nothing is ever simple and straightforward.
    What are the letters I'm talking about its easy let me help you , NRA they are more powerful than the POTUS , congress, senate ...nothing will ever get done with them in charge !
    Not to mention a little notion of being innocent until proven guilty. If rights start being taken away because someone is "presumed" or "assumed", then I'm thinking there is a 99% chance "suspected" terrorists will gain back their ability to purchase firearms after one or two lawsuits make those weak laws disappear for good. My question is "What are you doing to help". Posting on a Pearl Jam forum isn't exactly helping. It has been broadcast several times how a trained individual saved lives in Orlando because he had knowledge of situational awareness. There are free workshops all the time related to workplace safety, survival skills, etc. I have attended and participated in countless. That does not give me a 100% chance of surviving something like happened in Orlando, but it sure as hell raises those odds. It starts on a personal level. Maybe some sort of situational awareness class should be a mandatory part of high school curriculum...that stands the potential of decreasing rapes, human trafficking, workplace violence, terrorist attacks. Most people don't even know how to properly apply a tourniquet...that's pathetic. Personal responsibility or lack there of has most definitely, undeniably been a factor in almost all of these situations. In Orlando, it took 3 hours for SWAT to enter the building. What would you have done during those three hours? Sheep or sheepdog?
    Personal accountability of who? The victims? The cops? How much killing was actually done after the initial 15 minutes? Hostage situations typically last much longer than 3 hours. What were they doing? Figuring out a plan that would kill the least amount of people. You can't just come up with that in 20 minutes.
    You misunderstood my question. If you were inside with the asshole, what would you do in those 3 hours? Do you know some of the breathing techniques to calm your heart rate so that you can think clearly under pressure or how to apply a simply tourniquet if needed? There are free classes out there that teach these things, just like there are CPR classes... Knowledge of these things would be helpful in so many situations outside of just an event like this.
    While you make it sound plausible , it's absurd that I'd have to be trained in survival skills to go out dancing with my wife ! Doesn't it make more sense to make it harder for people to get the weapons ? Maybe just maybe pass some laws to get this done ...
    I don't think that it's absurd to take responsibility for your own personal safety. In fact, I find it alarming that so many people in this nation full of people who want to be recognized as individuals would rather rely on the government to protect their lives.

I agree that one function of our government is to keep the citizens safe but at the end of the day, all they are required to do is arrest the criminals.
    No. What the government should be doing is facilitating an entire framework of a healthy society that promotes safety for its citizens. If all they are doing is arresting criminals after they have committed a crime, the government has failed in its duty.

Many, many countries understand this.
    Well stated, but will not be understood by the Cliven Bundy types.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,986

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I'm all for profiling, if someone looks batshit crazy or acts out of sorts then keep them in sight. If someone has ties or communications with known terrorists or organizations or are on a no fly list then a big red alert box should pop up on those instant background checks to let the seller know that is the case. Let's add known violent gang affiliation databases and start tracking that info as well. Better border securities that prevent the flow of illegal drugs and firearms.
    Let's try that a few years. If the government abuses that authority, then we can push for a repeal. I still do not see any logical or realistic way of getting "assault rifles" out of the hands of civilians due to modern technology, but I think it's a good idea for people to have access and knowledge of who they are selling to in order to make informed decisions. Blocking access to those databases does seem pretty crazy. Hell, let's make that public access so we all know if we are living next to a suspected terrorist. Follow through with harsh punishments for violent offenders
    I do not support "mental health databases" or whatever is being pushed in that realm, not that I think people with mental health problems should be buying guns, but because it could potentially turn those that really need help away and seems like a major violation of privacy.
    I am adamantly apposed to any confiscation programs as it would essentially start a civil war. If you are okay with a police state then that is your prerogative. Buyback programs have been largely unsuccessful.
    The problem is that there is no way of 100% stopping such an intigrated and culturally diverse society from experiencing problems with sociopathic individuals. You can personally start helping society by being realistic and aware of your surroundings. You do not have to live in fear, but know exits and what not when you go into places. Know some basic survival skills for if you are put in one of these situations. You do not have to wait on the politicians to enact laws to start doing those things!

Admirable coming from you , I bet none of the above you mention ever gets put in place why let's see if you can tell me why ? It's easy just three letters you know the letters I'm talking about ...
    That and any time a bill gets brought up there are about 100 things that try and get sneaked in for either political reasons or to please constituents. Nothing is ever simple and straightforward.
    What are the letters I'm talking about its easy let me help you , NRA they are more powerful than the POTUS , congress, senate ...nothing will ever get done with them in charge !
    Not to mention a little notion of being innocent until proven guilty. If rights start being taken away because someone is "presumed" or "assumed", then I'm thinking there is a 99% chance "suspected" terrorists will gain back their ability to purchase firearms after one or two lawsuits make those weak laws disappear for good. My question is "What are you doing to help". Posting on a Pearl Jam forum isn't exactly helping. It has been broadcast several times how a trained individual saved lives in Orlando because he had knowledge of situational awareness. There are free workshops all the time related to workplace safety, survival skills, etc. I have attended and participated in countless. That does not give me a 100% chance of surviving something like happened in Orlando, but it sure as hell raises those odds. It starts on a personal level. Maybe some sort of situational awareness class should be a mandatory part of high school curriculum...that stands the potential of decreasing rapes, human trafficking, workplace violence, terrorist attacks. Most people don't even know how to properly apply a tourniquet...that's pathetic. Personal responsibility or lack there of has most definitely, undeniably been a factor in almost all of these situations. In Orlando, it took 3 hours for SWAT to enter the building. What would you have done during those three hours? Sheep or sheepdog?
    Personal accountability of who? The victims? The cops? How much killing was actually done after the initial 15 minutes? Hostage situations typically last much longer than 3 hours. What were they doing? Figuring out a plan that would kill the least amount of people. You can't just come up with that in 20 minutes.
    You misunderstood my question. If you were inside with the asshole, what would you do in those 3 hours? Do you know some of the breathing techniques to calm your heart rate so that you can think clearly under pressure or how to apply a simply tourniquet if needed? There are free classes out there that teach these things, just like there are CPR classes... Knowledge of these things would be helpful in so many situations outside of just an event like this.
    While you make it sound plausible , it's absurd that I'd have to be trained in survival skills to go out dancing with my wife ! Doesn't it make more sense to make it harder for people to get the weapons ? Maybe just maybe pass some laws to get this done ...
    I don't think that it's absurd to take responsibility for your own personal safety. In fact, I find it alarming that so many people in this nation full of people who want to be recognized as individuals would rather rely on the government to protect their lives.

I agree that one function of our government is to keep the citizens safe but at the end of the day, all they are required to do is arrest the criminals.
    No. What the government should be doing is facilitating an entire framework of a healthy society that promotes safety for its citizens. If all they are doing is arresting criminals after they have committed a crime, the government has failed in its duty.

What our government should be doing and what they have been doing for the past several decades are vastly different things.

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited June 2016

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Are there any "Cliven Bundy types" on AMT?
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Are there any "Cliven Bundy types" on AMT?
    Can't be certain, but It's seems so.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Hmmm. Never got that impression on here.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    Man Fatally Shot in Accident During Class at Ohio Gun Shop

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-fatally-shot-accident-class-ohio-gun-shop-39962177
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,831
    dudeman said:

dudeman said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

What our government should be doing and what they have been doing for the past several decades are vastly different things.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    This should speak volumes, gun safety course and shot to death. Guns don't make you safer and sure as hell makes life more dangerous for others. God and guns. Woo hoo.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/6/21/1540914/--ISIS-has-decided-that-the-assault-weapon-is-the-new-airplane?detail=facebook

Yeah when they used a plane we came up with all kinds of restrictions....with guns...not so much
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    remember when the government made laws to register your car and take a test and then stole your car away from you?

yeah, me neither.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

remember when the government made laws to register your car and take a test and then stole your car away from you?

yeah, me neither.

exactly...and what gets me the most is that this would effect very few people. The overwhelming majority of citizens either do not own a weapon or only own handguns or hunting weapons.

Or we could just deport all the muslims...that would solve it

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016

yeah, me neither.

exactly...and what gets me the most is that this would effect very few people. The overwhelming majority of citizens either do not own a weapon or only own handguns or hunting weapons.

Could do a bacon test, lol. ISIS followers do not eat or have contact with pork, so maybe we should just require everyone purchasing a firearm to eat a slab of bacon, haha. That would effect non-violent Muslims and Jews as well, but would most definitely stop ISIS supporters from purchasing, right? (Sarcasm)
    I do not know if I agree with the statement that it would not effect the vast majority either, seeing as how over 30,000 were sold in the past week by one distributer alone, many many people own them. AR-15s are the most sold rifle to date. Billions of them out there, BILLIONS!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

yeah, me neither.

Could do a bacon test, lol. ISIS followers do not eat or have contact with pork, so maybe we should just require everyone purchasing a firearm to eat a slab of bacon, haha. That would effect non-violent Muslims and Jews as well, but would most definitely stop ISIS supporters from purchasing, right? (Sarcasm)
    I do not know if I agree with the statement that it would not effect the vast majority either, seeing as how over 30,000 were sold in the past week by one distributer alone, many many people own them. They are the most sold rifle to date. Billions of them out there, BILLIONS!
    and that's kind of scary.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    it's better to have a gun and not need it rather than need a gun and not have it, I just read more people die from obesity than shootings..true or not I don't know but it's something to think about next time you buy a cheese burger and fries LOL !!

Godfather.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

yeah, me neither.

I do not know if I agree with the statement that it would not effect the vast majority either, seeing as how over 30,000 were sold in the past week by one distributer alone, many many people own them. They are the most sold rifle to date. Billions of them out there, BILLIONS!
    and that's kind of scary.
    It most definitely is, which is why I keep arguing that they are not going to go away. Seems more productive to me to focus on puting more effort into defense, training, and preparedness than hoping they somehow disappear. Similar to what we do for tornados/fires/etc. It just seems like a waste of time and effort when people can be doing things to thwart or at least survive these attacks on an individual level instead of waiting on the politicians to agree on something. I have posted several suggestions if you would like to look back at some previous posts.
  • Options

it's better to have a gun and not need it rather than need a gun and not have it, I just read more people die from obesity than shootings..true or not I don't know but it's something to think about next time you buy a cheese burger and fries LOL !!

Godfather.

it won't be long before we hear of a Trigger Happy Meal.

"would you like a glock with that?"
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

Godfather.

it won't be long before we hear of a Trigger Happy Meal.

"would you like a glock with that?"
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH now that's funny, I don't care who ya are !

Godfather.

• Options

• Options
    I'm confused, didn't the dems vote down two of the four bills??? You would think that they would be somewhat willing to compromise, but because of a couple of the bills considered due process, they voted them down. It almost seems that they were specifically voting against due process. Oh, but let's all act like childish idiots and do a rediculous "sit in" to make ourselves look better. Hypocrites at their finest.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    PJPOWER said:

I'm confused, didn't the dems vote down two of the four bills??? You would think that they would be somewhat willing to compromise, but because of a couple of the bills considered due process, they voted them down. It almost seems that they were specifically voting against due process. Oh, but let's all act like childish idiots and do a rediculous "sit in" to make ourselves look better. Hypocrites at their finest.

yes you are confused. the Dems want to vote on it and the Republicans refuse to allow a vote. that is the Democratic process that our country is supposed to be founded on. the republicans are holding that process hostage by not allowing a vote. same as the Supreme Court nominee.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Step away from Faux News sir...learn the ways of reality

• Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

I do not even have cable for your info...but the rude/un-intellectual response. Did the dems not vote against two of the proposed bills?
    Seems to me that there is a "my way or the highway" mentality...
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/senate-gun-votes-224560
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I do not even have cable for your info...but the same could be said for CNN. Did the dems not vote against two of the proposed bills?
    Bills that stop future progress, and are essentially a step backward in gun control and a giveaway for the NRA.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I do not even have cable for your info...but the same could be said for CNN. Did the dems not vote against two of the proposed bills?
    Bills that stop future progress, and are essentially a step backward in gun control and a giveaway for the NRA.
    Once again, that same argument could come from the other side. The dems want their bills or none at all. The repubs are not any better, I'm not defending them. I just think it's funny how idiots here jump to the defense of dems when they are just asshole politicians as well.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Once again, that same argument could come from the other side. The dems want their bills or none at all. The repubs are not any better, I'm not defending them. I just think it's funny how idiots here jump to the defense of dems when they are just asshole politicians as well.
    An asshole politician that is trying to pass gun laws that protect citizens (even the citizens that oppose it) is less of an asshole than the politician that is so beholden to the NRA they won't even allow a vote.

• Options
    Assholes are assholes. As I said earlier, you can sit on your hands and wait for politicians to agree or you can start doing things on an individual level. Our community has all kinds of free meetings to educate people on gun laws, self defense, situational awareness, life saving techniques, active shooter awareness, etc.
    Countless examples of lives being saved by people that know some of these basic things. Maybe we should give tax or insurance breaks for people that attend these classes, much like they do for defensive driving classes...? People are always looking for "steps in the right direction", but are unwilling to take any steps of their own.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Assholes are assholes. As I said earlier, you can sit on your hands and wait for politicians to agree or you can start doing things on an individual level. Our community has all kinds of free meetings to educate people on gun laws, self defense, situational awareness, life saving techniques, active shooter awareness, etc.
    Countless examples of lives being saved by people that know some of these basic things. Maybe we should give tax or insurance breaks for people that attend these classes, much like they do for defensive driving classes...? People are always looking for "steps in the right direction", but are unwilling to take any steps of their own.

tax breaks for attending safety classes is a fabulous idea.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.