Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I'll just let Penn and Teller explain what I am always explaining about the 2nd. They spell it out better!
    https://youtu.be/P4zE0K22zH8

Do you think that when the Document was written they took into account the development of the muskets these shooters use today in these massacres ...
    I don't think that made a damn difference. In fact, they probably meant that the people should be just as armed as the government...but I cannot say I fully advocate that. I feel that there are enough armed people to create a pretty big problem if there was ever a tyrannical government though, and I do not see that as a bad thing.
    I think it makes all the difference. When that document was written, the most powerful weapon known to man was a musket. It took 3-5 minutes to reload 1 shot. If you were a marksman.
    Exactly, that's the most powerful thing that the tyrannical government had as well. It was more about giving people a fighting chance if tyranny surfaced again.
    They have drones now.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

pretty simple really, I agree with back ground checks (criminal and mental health) but in no way support any banning of a rifle, besides if you want to use percentages look up the stats for homicides with an "assault rifle" compared to other methods of killing.

Godfather.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

I'll just let Penn and Teller explain what I am always explaining about the 2nd. They spell it out better!

Do you think that when the Document was written they took into account the development of the muskets these shooters use today in these massacres ...
    I don't think that made a damn difference. In fact, they probably meant that the people should be just as armed as the government...but I cannot say I fully advocate that. I feel that there are enough armed people to create a pretty big problem if there was ever a tyrannical government though, and I do not see that as a bad thing.
    I think it makes all the difference. When that document was written, the most powerful weapon known to man was a musket. It took 3-5 minutes to reload 1 shot. If you were a marksman.
    Exactly, that's the most powerful thing that the tyrannical government had as well. It was more about giving people a fighting chance if tyranny surfaced again.
    They have drones now.

So your argument is "they have drones, guess we better all surrender" if a tyrannical government tried taking over? Bet there were some saying the same thing about cannons back in the day.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

pretty simple really, I agree with back ground checks (criminal and mental health) but in no way support any banning of a rifle, besides if you want to use percentages look up the stats for homicides with an "assault rifle" compared to other methods of killing.

Godfather.

What are the stats when you look up "mass killings" with assault rifles versus other means?

When the second amendment was written it look 60 seconds to reload. Come on man. The constitution called black people 3/5ths of a person. The document was just wrong in many cases.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJPOWER said:

eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

They have drones now.

So your argument is "they have drones, guess we better all surrender" if a tyrannical government tried taking over? Bet there were some saying the same thing about cannons back in the day.
    So should you be able to purchase drones that can drop bombs?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

They have drones now.

So should you be able to purchase drones that can drop bombs?
    I feel we should be able to quickly assemble an army if needed if an invasion happened. If a tyrannical group started using drones against its people, then I would hope the people could acquire the means to stop them.
    My argument was more so against those saying that the 2nd was meant only for militias.
    I think the more likely scenario would be groups or gangs trying to grab territory. I think we should be able to properly defend our cities and towns and homes with equal force. The Mexican mafia would love a complete disarmament of the American people.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options

Godfather.

What are the stats when you look up "mass killings" with assault rifles versus other means?

When the second amendment was written it look 60 seconds to reload. Come on man. The constitution called black people 3/5ths of a person. The document was just wrong in many cases.
    this is a true today as was back then, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

again, I'll point out that "mass killings" and murder in general are committed by people or groups of people.
    I respect your opinion but mine is different.

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

this is a true today as was back then, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

again, I'll point out that "mass killings" and murder in general are committed by people or groups of people.

Godfather.

I think when people hear the term gun control, they think they will get all of their guns taken away. That's not what I advocate. I don't want to infringe your right to own guns. Just the ones that were meant for militaries. If you are part of a well regulated militia, that's a different scenario all together.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Godfather.

Godfather.

I think when people hear the term gun control, they think they will get all of their guns taken away. That's not what I advocate. I don't want to infringe your right to own guns. Just the ones that were meant for militaries. If you are part of a well regulated militia, that's a different scenario all together.
    Did you not even watch the video I posted earlier!?!? That was exactly what I was arguing against in the wording of the 2nd. It is about the people having the right to bear arms, not just a well regulated militia. More so if that well regulated militia turned on its people.
  • Options

Godfather.

Godfather.

A well regulated militia necessary for the security of a free state = National Guard

If one of the amendments required every household to own a slave would it be right? Of course not...society changes and adapts to what is needed. Assault weapons aren't needed by the general public. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Did you not even watch the video I posted earlier!?!? That was exactly what I was arguing against in the wording of the 2nd. It is about the people having the right to bear arms, not just a well regulated militia. More so if that well regulated militia turned on its people.
    I've seen that video several times. You do have the right to own guns. But I also think there is a line that needs to be drawn. Why can't you own a nuke? The government has them? You simply do not need an AK-47 to defend yourself. Your cache of hand guns and shot guns is surely enough to keep the bad guys away from your home.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

They have drones now.

His argument is that people should have drones too. And mines, hand grenades, jets, and tanks.

If you are saying you need to be prepared for the impending takeover then be prepared Gawddammit!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

eddiec said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

They have drones now.

His argument is that people should have drones too. And mines, hand grenades, jets, and tanks.

If you are saying you need to be prepared for the impending takeover then be prepared Gawddammit!
    Damn you guys assume a lot! I was merely stating that the 2nd was not written for militias to be armed. Based on the way it was written, it does not give any exceptions to any kinds of "arms". I'm sure plenty could argue that the government should not have bombs, drones, etc, etc, etc as it leaves those things wide open for civilian possession as well. If you want to ratify it to say that weapons or war or what not should be included in the definition or arms then that's a completely different conversation. My only point was that it was written in reference to the people bearing arms, not militias. we can discuss all day about what weapons should or shouldn't be in the hands of people and probably never agree, but I hope I'm at least getting my point across that it was written for "the people", not specifically for well regulated militias.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Godfather.

Godfather.

A well regulated militia necessary for the security of a free state = National Guard

If one of the amendments required every household to own a slave would it be right? Of course not...society changes and adapts to what is needed. Assault weapons aren't needed by the general public. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous.
    Again, completely beside the point of whether it needs to be changed or not, the original intent was not for only the National Guard and what not to be armed. It was written for if a well regulated militia such as the National Guard turned on its people. Whether that fits today's time or not, the argument that it was designed for only militias to be armed is just not accurate. They do a great job of explaining here.

To dumb it down: We need a well regulated militia (army, national guard, etc), but if a tyrant gets control of that militia and turns it on the people, then people have the right to arm themselves and fight back.

Some may also argue that the well regulated melitia are the people that are governed by laws and etc, but I feel the prior is more accurate.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845
    people hide behind the second amendment because they know there is no logical reason to need to own a gun more powerful than a handgun or single shot rifle.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Again, completely beside the point of whether it needs to be changed or not, the original intent was not for only the National Guard and what not to be armed. It was written for if a well regulated militia such as the National Guard turned on its people. Whether that fits today's time or not, the argument that it was designed for only militias to be armed is just not accurate. They do a great job of explaining here.

To dumb it down: We need a well regulated militia (army, national guard, etc), but if a tyrant gets control of that militia and turns it on the people, then people have the right to arm themselves and fight back.

Some may also argue that the well regulated melitia are the people that are governed by laws and etc, but I feel the prior is more accurate.
    Which creates the circular argument that if the intention was what you describe then we should be able to buy tanks, nukes, missiles individually to arm our militias

ridiculous

• Options

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

Which creates the circular argument that if the intention was what you describe then we should be able to buy tanks, nukes, missiles individually to arm our militias

ridiculous

Rediculous or not, that is the way it is stated! Not to arm out militias, but our people... It was written to protect the people from the government. If there were tanks, missiles, nukes around at that time then they may have written it differently...who knows. But I don't think they would have limited the "arms" to hunting rifles and shotguns either.
  • Options

people hide behind the second amendment because they know there is no logical reason to need to own a gun more powerful than a handgun or single shot rifle.

People do not agree with you...straw man arguments.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561

I can give you 2 reasons...

1. The zombie apocalypse
    2. U.N. troops that Obama sent to take my guns

:dizzy:
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

ridiculous

Rediculous or not, that is the way it is stated! Not to arm out militias, but our people... It was written to protect the people from the government. If there were tanks, missiles, nukes around at that time then they may have written it differently...who knows. But I don't think they would have limited the "arms" to hunting rifles and shotguns either.
    There was artillery back then...

• Options

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

ridiculous

Yep, and anyone and everyone could own them if they had the means...people put them in their front yards...What's your point?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

ridiculous

It's worded that way because not even the founding fathers saw what man could create to kill each other. It can be changed.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

ridiculous

Yep, and anyone and everyone could own them if they had the means...people put them in their front yards...What's your point?
    Seems like they would have clarified that "bear arms" meant to "have exactly the same weapons available that the potential tyrannic government has"....ridiculous

• Options

Godfather.

Godfather.

I think when people fight against gun control their main concern is not allowing stricter back ground checks but just fighting to keep what we have, for instance the gun used by the bar attacker I believe was not an AR 15 but Obama and Hillary go on the attack claiming we need to out law AR-15 automatic rifles, automatic rifles are already illegal, so with all the misinformation being given to the public to create fear and anger the gun debate will go on forever.

Godfather.

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

ridiculous

there was no law saying you couldn't own a Gatling gun back then I'll bet.

Godfather.

• Options
    edited June 2016

Godfather.

Godfather.

I think when people fight against gun control their main concern is not allowing stricter back ground checks but just fighting to keep what we have, for instance the gun used by the bar attacker I believe was not an AR 15 but Obama and Hillary go on the attack claiming we need to out law AR-15 automatic rifles, automatic rifles are already illegal, so with all the misinformation being given to the public to create fear and anger the gun debate will go on forever.

Godfather.

oh come on....what is the difference between an AR-15 and the assault rifle that was used?

Aren't they basically the same thing?

Did Obama and Hillary specifically call for outlawing the AR-15 or did they refer to "assault weapons"? Or did they not really even say that at all?

Edit: disagree that the debate will go on forever. Assault weapons will be banned...it's just a matter of time.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Godfather.

Godfather.

ridiculous

there was no law saying you couldn't own a Gatling gun back then I'll bet.

Godfather.

That would be very impressive if it did, as it wasn't invented until 100 years later.
  • Options

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

oh come on....what is the difference between an AR-15 and the assault rifle that was used?

Did Obama and Hillary specifically call for outlawing the AR-15 or did they refer to "assault weapons"? Or did they not really even say that at all?

Edit: disagree that the debate will go on forever. Assault weapons will be banned...it's just a matter of time.
    yes the AR-15 was mentioned as the assault weapon but my point is that Obama and Hillary don't care what it was and didn't take the time to find out and them and the media went after a ghost.

Godfather.

• Options

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

yes the AR-15 was mentioned as the assault weapon but my point is that Obama and Hillary don't care what it was and didn't take the time to find out and them and the media went after a ghost.

Godfather.

Your point was that Hilary and Obama was spreading misinformation. They were not. The AR-15 mentioned was referring to Sandy hook.

If you want to complain about misinformation, trump claiming the shooter wasn't an American but was from Afghanistan takes the cake.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

Godfather.

I agree with GF here. I've head HRC, Obama and others refer to the AR-15, even though it wasn't used. If there are implying "assault rifles" then they should just say assault rifles, and not use AR-15 as a broad term for all assault rifles. Yes, the gun was probably similar, but the AR-15 gets singled out, and has been on this thread 100 times. You can easily adapt it further to limit the number of rounds and reloading capabilities to make it like any other rifle and will keep many gun owners happy and satisfy those who want more gun control as well, but that is never suggested. Just a full out ban on a gun that wasn't used but has become the icon for terrorist attacks.
This discussion has been closed.