Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

i would side with the people who say a ban or more regulations on guns would not solve the mass shootings that have happened ... it would likely prevent a few accidental deaths but by in large - i'd speculate that the gun violence statistics would stay pretty much the same ...

america has a violence problem which is amplified with it's love affair with guns and all things destructive ... how many of y'all who support stricter gun laws are also the same people who say that if anyone tried to hurt your family - you'd go after those people!? ...

the country was born from violence and has a legacy of violence ... one of the biggest lobbies in the country is the NRA and the military industrial complex is a driver of US foreign policy ...

aren't all countries born, or at least bred at some point in their history, on violence?
    Yes, but not all countries encourage violence through various forms of media. Is Hollywood somewhat to blame? Anything that perpetuates the devaluation of human life has a hand in this violent culture. Maybe if our children spent more time volunteering instead of playing violent video games and watching Saw. I have seen first hand how media can influence children's behavior. When I was a counselor I saw children trying to stab people at school because they "saw it on Grand Theft Auto". Anyone that says there is not a correlation between violent media and violent behavior is delusional or misinformed. Not too many Boy Scouts shooting up theaters...just sayin.
    Again, personal responsibility, stop feeding children this shit and I promise in a generation or two you will see a change in culture.
    You think Canadians don't play Grand Theft Auto and watch violent movies?

Try again.
    this is a point I was about to make, too, Thirty. how can we explain the differences in violent culture between Canada and the US, or even Europe and the US, when our influences are the same? same video games, same movies, etc. I think this is part of the issue; it is largely unexplainable why one nation of people have turned into one of, if not THE, most violent first world nations on earth.
    I don't know, has that comprehensive study been done? Are the education systems similar? How similar are our cultures really?
    well I'd say our cultures are very similar. politically, no. canadians aren't nearly as patriotic, to say the least, as americans. it's rare to see a canadian flag on a house. the only time you see one is at a government building or during the world junior hockey championships, LOL.

not sure about the education systems, so can't comment.

but what I was commenting on was your point that you believe hollywood and video games are very much to blame, but how can that be, when our children watch the same movies and play the same games?
    They are not only to blame, but exposing a child that does not have the brain connectivity to differentiate reality vs fiction to graphic violence is not a great start...aka 7 year olds playing GTA and watching Saw.
    Don't leave out all the indoctrination toward war, we are inundated with glorification of WW2 in this country.
    it's also about a society that believes violence is an answer to conflict ...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

i would side with the people who say a ban or more regulations on guns would not solve the mass shootings that have happened ... it would likely prevent a few accidental deaths but by in large - i'd speculate that the gun violence statistics would stay pretty much the same ...

america has a violence problem which is amplified with it's love affair with guns and all things destructive ... how many of y'all who support stricter gun laws are also the same people who say that if anyone tried to hurt your family - you'd go after those people!? ...

the country was born from violence and has a legacy of violence ... one of the biggest lobbies in the country is the NRA and the military industrial complex is a driver of US foreign policy ...

aren't all countries born, or at least bred at some point in their history, on violence?
    Yes, but not all countries encourage violence through various forms of media. Is Hollywood somewhat to blame? Anything that perpetuates the devaluation of human life has a hand in this violent culture. Maybe if our children spent more time volunteering instead of playing violent video games and watching Saw. I have seen first hand how media can influence children's behavior. When I was a counselor I saw children trying to stab people at school because they "saw it on Grand Theft Auto". Anyone that says there is not a correlation between violent media and violent behavior is delusional or misinformed. Not too many Boy Scouts shooting up theaters...just sayin.
    Again, personal responsibility, stop feeding children this shit and I promise in a generation or two you will see a change in culture.

Try again.
    this is a point I was about to make, too, Thirty. how can we explain the differences in violent culture between Canada and the US, or even Europe and the US, when our influences are the same? same video games, same movies, etc. I think this is part of the issue; it is largely unexplainable why one nation of people have turned into one of, if not THE, most violent first world nations on earth.
    I don't know, has that comprehensive study been done? Are the education systems similar? How similar are our cultures really?
    well I'd say our cultures are very similar. politically, no. canadians aren't nearly as patriotic, to say the least, as americans. it's rare to see a canadian flag on a house. the only time you see one is at a government building or during the world junior hockey championships, LOL.

but what I was commenting on was your point that you believe hollywood and video games are very much to blame, but how can that be, when our children watch the same movies and play the same games?
    They are not only to blame, but exposing a child that does not have the brain connectivity to differentiate reality vs fiction to graphic violence is not a great start...aka 7 year olds playing GTA and watching Saw.
    I am reminded of a piece of trash I used to work with. She told the story about how she went to walmart here in winnipeg with her 12 year old son to buy GTA. The clerk told her she couldn't sell it to her since she said it was for her 12 year old, and the game has an 18+ rating. she chewed out the clerk saying she was an adult and could make that decision for her own son. the clerk refused. I couldn't believe my ears that my coworker thought she was in the right. she went back later and bought it without him.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2016
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.

Don't leave out all the indoctrination toward war, we are inundated with glorification of WW2 in this country.
    Well I think there is a difference in being reminded historically what WW2 was and glorifying "killing Japs" and what not. A forgotten history is one bound to be repeated-cannot remember who said that. I do think there are some different interpretations these days about what it means to be patriotic. You can be proud and celebrate freedom and that you are not North Korea without being arrogant about it. I also believe it is wrong to forget and not acknowledge those that lost their lives for the luxuries that we take for granted. Many people have forgotten and disregard sacrificed made...I think that leads to entitlement and lack of respect for each other.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,988
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Question for the gun crowd.
    I dont like handguns but if you want to have one to protect your family or yourself ok. There have been stories where people have protected themselves with handguns to stop a burglary, assault or rape. However any time I hear of stories like this its with a handgun. Ive never heard of anyone protecting themselves with an assault weapon. I have heardof plenty of unnecessary mass murders by assault weapons.

So, why if safety (if im understanding your main argument for guns) is the reason to have them, and handguns can provide that safety just fine, are assault weapons needed?
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    This is right down the block from where I live. They are calling for a Sudaneze interpreter...
    Edit: Suspect shot, everyone else okay. That's how it's supposed to go down!
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    This is just a part of everyday life now.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    pureoc said:

Question for the gun crowd.
    I dont like handguns but if you want to have one to protect your family or yourself ok. There have been stories where people have protected themselves with handguns to stop a burglary, assault or rape. However any time I hear of stories like this its with a handgun. Ive never heard of anyone protecting themselves with an assault weapon. I have heardof plenty of unnecessary mass murders by assault weapons.

So, why if safety (if im understanding your main argument for guns) is the reason to have them, and handguns can provide that safety just fine, are assault weapons needed?

There are plenty of stories out there of people thwarting home burglaries with semi-auto rifles or "assault weapons". A quick Google search of "homeowner uses ar-15" will give you several examples.
    In fact, they now make bullets for handguns and rifles that do not penetrate barriers so that neighbors or people in other rooms are not harmed.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,214
    link to story in Tuesday's Philadelphia Inquirer - 7 minutes to buy an AR-15. 7 fucking minutes. disgusting.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/helen_ubinas/20160614_Ubinas__I_bought_an_AR-15_semi-automatic_rifle_in_Philly_in_7_minutes.html
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,892

Stop it guys stop trying to be sensible , the answer and only answer is arm everyone ....

don't forget the part about a well armed militia Jose.

Godfather.

regulated GF. Get iit straight. Well Regulated Militia. Which to my understanding of the language of the day , means trained. A well trained militia.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    This should help.....

GOP Lawmaker To Give Away Two AR-15 Assault Rifles As Door Prize At Fundraiser
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_575f0d84e4b071ec19eec3a7
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks said:

link to story in Tuesday's Philadelphia Inquirer - 7 minutes to buy an AR-15. 7 fucking minutes. disgusting.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/helen_ubinas/20160614_Ubinas__I_bought_an_AR-15_semi-automatic_rifle_in_Philly_in_7_minutes.html

that was bloody well written ...

"My heart is with you all. But while we're mourning the dead, let us mourn the national loss of humanity that is to blame for this world we have created."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    I'll just keep sayin it over & over again , you can be on the no fly list but walk into any gun shop in America buy the weapon of your choice and go on a murder spree and the next person who is also on the no fly list can do the same the very next day !!! On & on & no
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/whats-going-on-another-fox-news-host-calls-for-assault-weapon-ban-after-orlando-massacre/

Now Fox is shifting....interesting
    Something is definitely going on over at Fox News — where two hosts have come out in favor of gun control laws.

Gretchen Carlson surprised viewers Tuesday afternoon by calling on lawmakers to reinstate a ban on weapons like the AR-15 that a gunman used to murder 49 people and wound 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Later that evening, Bill O’Reilly cast some blame on conservatives for the domestic terror attack and hate crime, which he said might have been prevented or lessened if the killer hadn’t been able to buy the weapons he used.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,845

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/whats-going-on-another-fox-news-host-calls-for-assault-weapon-ban-after-orlando-massacre/

Something is definitely going on over at Fox News — where two hosts have come out in favor of gun control laws.

Gretchen Carlson surprised viewers Tuesday afternoon by calling on lawmakers to reinstate a ban on weapons like the AR-15 that a gunman used to murder 49 people and wound 53 more at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Later that evening, Bill O’Reilly cast some blame on conservatives for the domestic terror attack and hate crime, which he said might have been prevented or lessened if the killer hadn’t been able to buy the weapons he used.
    what the hell....?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561

Huh??!! :time_out:
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm all for profiling, if someone looks batshit crazy or acts out of sorts then keep them in sight. If someone has ties or communications with known terrorists or organizations or are on a no fly list then a big red alert box should pop up on those instant background checks to let the seller know that is the case. Let's add known violent gang affiliation databases and start tracking that info as well. Better border securities that prevent the flow of illegal drugs and firearms.
    Let's try that a few years. If the government abuses that authority, then we can push for a repeal. I still do not see any logical or realistic way of getting "assault rifles" out of the hands of civilians due to modern technology, but I think it's a good idea for people to have access and knowledge of who they are selling to in order to make informed decisions. Blocking access to those databases does seem pretty crazy. Hell, let's make that public access so we all know if we are living next to a suspected terrorist. Follow through with harsh punishments for violent offenders
    I do not support "mental health databases" or whatever is being pushed in that realm, not that I think people with mental health problems should be buying guns, but because it could potentially turn those that really need help away and seems like a major violation of privacy.
    I am adamantly apposed to any confiscation programs as it would essentially start a civil war. If you are okay with a police state then that is your prerogative. Buyback programs have been largely unsuccessful.
    The problem is that there is no way of 100% stopping such an intigrated and culturally diverse society from experiencing problems with sociopathic individuals. You can personally start helping society by being realistic and aware of your surroundings. You do not have to live in fear, but know exits and what not when you go into places. Know some basic survival skills for if you are put in one of these situations. You do not have to wait on the politicians to enact laws to start doing those things!
  • Options

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

I'm all for profiling, if someone looks batshit crazy or acts out of sorts then keep them in sight. If someone has ties or communications with known terrorists or organizations or are on a no fly list then a big red alert box should pop up on those instant background checks to let the seller know that is the case. Let's add known violent gang affiliation databases and start tracking that info as well. Better border securities that prevent the flow of illegal drugs and firearms.
    Let's try that a few years. If the government abuses that authority, then we can push for a repeal. I still do not see any logical or realistic way of getting "assault rifles" out of the hands of civilians due to modern technology, but I think it's a good idea for people to have access and knowledge of who they are selling to in order to make informed decisions. Blocking access to those databases does seem pretty crazy. Hell, let's make that public access so we all know if we are living next to a suspected terrorist. Follow through with harsh punishments for violent offenders
    I do not support "mental health databases" or whatever is being pushed in that realm, not that I think people with mental health problems should be buying guns, but because it could potentially turn those that really need help away and seems like a major violation of privacy.
    I am adamantly apposed to any confiscation programs as it would essentially start a civil war. If you are okay with a police state then that is your prerogative. Buyback programs have been largely unsuccessful.
    The problem is that there is no way of 100% stopping such an intigrated and culturally diverse society from experiencing problems with sociopathic individuals. You can personally start helping society by being realistic and aware of your surroundings. You do not have to live in fear, but know exits and what not when you go into places. Know some basic survival skills for if you are put in one of these situations. You do not have to wait on the politicians to enact laws to start doing those things!

Admirable coming from you , I bet none of the above you mention ever gets put in place why let's see if you can tell me why ? It's easy just three letters you know the letters I'm talking about ...
  • Options

• Options

PJPOWER said:

Admirable coming from you , I bet none of the above you mention ever gets put in place why let's see if you can tell me why ? It's easy just three letters you know the letters I'm talking about ...
    That and any time a bill gets brought up there are about 100 things that try and get sneaked in for either political reasons or to please constituents. Nothing is ever simple and straightforward.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

That and any time a bill gets brought up there are about 100 things that try and get sneaked in for either political reasons or to please constituents. Nothing is ever simple and straightforward.
    What are the letters I'm talking about its easy let me help you , NRA they are more powerful than the POTUS , congress, senate ...nothing will ever get done with them in charge !
  • Options

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.

it's also about a society that believes violence is an answer to conflict ...
    Yep. Wars. Death penalty. Violent tv and games.

We're freakin neandrathals .
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/16/family-of-ar-15-inventor-eugene-stoner-he-didnt-intend-it-for-civilians.html?__source=facebook|social|link|061616|8AM|ar-15-not-for-civilians
    The comments could also bolster a groundbreaking new lawsuit, which argues that the weapon is a tool of war — never intended for civilians.

Eugene Stoner would have agreed, his family said.

The ex-Marine and "avid sportsman, hunter and skeet shooter" never used his invention for sport. He also never kept it around the house for personal defense. In fact, he never even owned one.

• Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

What are the letters I'm talking about its easy let me help you , NRA they are more powerful than the POTUS , congress, senate ...nothing will ever get done with them in charge !
    Not to mention a little notion of being innocent until proven guilty. If rights start being taken away because someone is "presumed" or "assumed", then I'm thinking there is a 99% chance "suspected" terrorists will gain back their ability to purchase firearms after one or two lawsuits make those weak laws disappear for good. My question is "What are you doing to help". Posting on a Pearl Jam forum isn't exactly helping. It has been broadcast several times how a trained individual saved lives in Orlando because he had knowledge of situational awareness. There are free workshops all the time related to workplace safety, survival skills, etc. I have attended and participated in countless. That does not give me a 100% chance of surviving something like happened in Orlando, but it sure as hell raises those odds. It starts on a personal level. Maybe some sort of situational awareness class should be a mandatory part of high school curriculum...that stands the potential of decreasing rapes, human trafficking, workplace violence, terrorist attacks. Most people don't even know how to properly apply a tourniquet...that's pathetic. Personal responsibility or lack there of has most definitely, undeniably been a factor in almost all of these situations. In Orlando, it took 3 hours for SWAT to enter the building. What would you have done during those three hours? Sheep or sheepdog?
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

Not to mention a little notion of being innocent until proven guilty. If rights start being taken away because someone is "presumed" or "assumed", then I'm thinking there is a 99% chance "suspected" terrorists will gain back their ability to purchase firearms after one or two lawsuits make those weak laws disappear for good. My question is "What are you doing to help". Posting on a Pearl Jam forum isn't exactly helping. It has been broadcast several times how a trained individual saved lives in Orlando because he had knowledge of situational awareness. There are free workshops all the time related to workplace safety, survival skills, etc. I have attended and participated in countless. That does not give me a 100% chance of surviving something like happened in Orlando, but it sure as hell raises those odds. It starts on a personal level. Maybe some sort of situational awareness class should be a mandatory part of high school curriculum...that stands the potential of decreasing rapes, human trafficking, workplace violence, terrorist attacks. Most people don't even know how to properly apply a tourniquet...that's pathetic. Personal responsibility or lack there of has most definitely, undeniably been a factor in almost all of these situations. In Orlando, it took 3 hours for SWAT to enter the building. What would you have done during those three hours? Sheep or sheepdog?
    Personal accountability of who? The victims? The cops? How much killing was actually done after the initial 15 minutes? Hostage situations typically last much longer than 3 hours. What were they doing? Figuring out a plan that would kill the least amount of people. You can't just come up with that in 20 minutes.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
This discussion has been closed.