Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Seriously, though, do you want to know how to stop attacks like these from happening? Factually it would work.
    First you have to come to the conclusion that there are crazy people that will stop at nothing short of being killed. They are around us, it's a fact. Sucks that facts like these exist, but we are technically in a time of war with ISIS.
    You ignore that fact and you may or may not live through an event such as this. If you like a little more control of your destiny, you learn how to increase your odds of survival if put in a situation such as this or just avoid the situation all together, yeah it's shitty that the world is this way.
    That's for people to decide. But if you choose to arm yourself, do it properly. Take a class, learn situational awareness. Learn how to shoot correctly and be able to handle yourself.
    Or just keep on talking about how to make things magically disappear, it's most definitely your choice...billions of guns out there...BILLIONS! Zero at that place and what happened? What could have stopped this guy 3 feet inside the door? A properly trained "gun nut" would have done the job, but he is not going to be at a place of such vulnerability.

What, you mean like the armed, well trained, off duty police officer that engaged the shooter?
    Oh yeah, that's right, that didn't stop this nightmare from occuring, because he had a semi-automatic tactically appointed rifle designed to provide maximum killing potential in urban warfare environments, and it isn't as simple as gun nuts' fantasies' would have everyone believe.
    Trotting out the same lame old sound bites to protect your gun stroking existence without thinking of whether or not they actually apply is a spit in the face of the victims of the tragedy.

"All I heard was gunfire after gunfire," Wolf said. "Eventually, I thought you were supposed to run out of ammunition. But it just kept going and going."

And I'm supposed to have sympathy for grown-ass gun stroking enthusiasts who have Rambo fantasies and play cops and robbers in their heads, hobbyists wbl just like shooting cool guns, and collectors with walls of weapons that they sit and stare at???
    FUCK THAT!
    First of all, police are not all trained in the firearm proficiency that most think. Most pass the minimum requirements and move on.
    Secondly, you completely missed my second point. Learn how to minimize your odds. Don't be a sheep, if your last resort is to fight then fucking charge this guy and FIGHT! Odds are an Islamic Radical terrorist is not going to turn around and go home if there is a law banning firearms. It may take them slightly longer to acquire, but they will get them. Hell, you can make most of the components on a $1000 3D printer. How the fucking hell are you going to stop one of these ideology driven maniacs? I just do not understand how this "ban assault weapons" rhetoric is going to stop these incidents from happening. It's fun to talk about, but you cannot ban them from the hands of ISIS assholes. Fuck, I wish Nickleback music would disappear, but there is always going to be the nut job with a stockpile waiting for the perfect time when it will cause the most damage to play it.
    Maybe I have worked in social services a little to long and am a bit cynical, but people are not remotely aware of how many fucked up people are around them everywhere they go. It blows my mind seeing people wondering around oblivious to their surroundings.
    So let's completely saturate society with countless guns and yell, "Every man for themselves!"

You ignored my previous response, but I'd like to hear what you have to say regarding this: there is no band aid remedy for your gun problem. The time to fix today's problems was 20 years ago. 20 years from now... do you want our children picking up the ball and carrying on with this lopsided debate? Or would you prefer a chance to make your country safer as all other developed countries have done for themselves?

You might have to sacrifice a portion of your hobby, but hell, man... look what some sacrificed in Europe or the Pacific to try and keep your country 'safe'. The absolute refusal to look at the problem for what it is- even the willingness to appear foolish by presenting silly arguments as a defence- is what blows my mind. I mean... I get hearing the gun lover's argument from a one toothed yokel, but from a seemingly intelligent person with writing skills?
    No, I have chosen to ignore people that call others "one toothed yokel" and the like. That rhetoric only helps to spread hate and division. My point is that the country is already flooded with guns...more than is comprehensible.
    And it's not like these other countries are utopias. I'm fine with gun death rates being higher than other countries if it means burglars and rapists are getting put down. I'm sure the gangs of Chicago would completely comply with a buyback program, right?
    Harsher penalties are good thing, I would even be somewhat okay with a license similar to CCWs if it didn't have other taxing agendas tied to it. But these "bans" are akin to prohibition of other things that have been proven only to cause more problems.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

Seriously, though, do you want to know how to stop attacks like these from happening? Factually it would work.
    First you have to come to the conclusion that there are crazy people that will stop at nothing short of being killed. They are around us, it's a fact. Sucks that facts like these exist, but we are technically in a time of war with ISIS.
    You ignore that fact and you may or may not live through an event such as this. If you like a little more control of your destiny, you learn how to increase your odds of survival if put in a situation such as this or just avoid the situation all together, yeah it's shitty that the world is this way.
    That's for people to decide. But if you choose to arm yourself, do it properly. Take a class, learn situational awareness. Learn how to shoot correctly and be able to handle yourself.
    Or just keep on talking about how to make things magically disappear, it's most definitely your choice...billions of guns out there...BILLIONS! Zero at that place and what happened? What could have stopped this guy 3 feet inside the door? A properly trained "gun nut" would have done the job, but he is not going to be at a place of such vulnerability.

What, you mean like the armed, well trained, off duty police officer that engaged the shooter?
    Oh yeah, that's right, that didn't stop this nightmare from occuring, because he had a semi-automatic tactically appointed rifle designed to provide maximum killing potential in urban warfare environments, and it isn't as simple as gun nuts' fantasies' would have everyone believe.
    Trotting out the same lame old sound bites to protect your gun stroking existence without thinking of whether or not they actually apply is a spit in the face of the victims of the tragedy.

"All I heard was gunfire after gunfire," Wolf said. "Eventually, I thought you were supposed to run out of ammunition. But it just kept going and going."

And I'm supposed to have sympathy for grown-ass gun stroking enthusiasts who have Rambo fantasies and play cops and robbers in their heads, hobbyists wbl just like shooting cool guns, and collectors with walls of weapons that they sit and stare at???
    FUCK THAT!
    First of all, police are not all trained in the firearm proficiency that most think. Most pass the minimum requirements and move on.
    Secondly, you completely missed my second point. Learn how to minimize your odds. Don't be a sheep, if your last resort is to fight then fucking charge this guy and FIGHT! Odds are an Islamic Radical terrorist is not going to turn around and go home if there is a law banning firearms. It may take them slightly longer to acquire, but they will get them. Hell, you can make most of the components on a $1000 3D printer. How the fucking hell are you going to stop one of these ideology driven maniacs? I just do not understand how this "ban assault weapons" rhetoric is going to stop these incidents from happening. It's fun to talk about, but you cannot ban them from the hands of ISIS assholes. Fuck, I wish Nickleback music would disappear, but there is always going to be the nut job with a stockpile waiting for the perfect time when it will cause the most damage to play it.
    Maybe I have worked in social services a little to long and am a bit cynical, but people are not remotely aware of how many fucked up people are around them everywhere they go. It blows my mind seeing people wondering around oblivious to their surroundings.
    you do realize that most of these mass killings have nothing to do with terrorism or ISIS right? strange part about your post is the 1st half talks about radical islam but then 2nd part talks about how many fucked up people there are. shouldn't we make it almost impossible for these 'fucked up' people to get assault weapons?
    That's my original point, how the fuck are you going to make it "almost impossible"? You can make guns from a 3D printer. You can make your own ammo. Billions are already out there, and technology has only made them easier to produce on an individual level. You can create a hurdle, but you cannot make them "almost impossible" to get. That doesn't even touch other means of violence such as pipe bombs and pressure cookers filled with nails.

do you realize how nutty it sounds to admit there is a problem but then advocate doing NOTHING to change it?

also this is not a terrorism problem. most mass shootings in this country have had nothing to do with terrorism. it's just crazy fucks having easy access to fast killing weapons. why is this difficult to understand?
    It's even nuttier when you consider the reason is "cuz them guns is fun to shoot, bang bang"
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!
    you do realize that most of these mass killings have nothing to do with terrorism or ISIS right? strange part about your post is the 1st half talks about radical islam but then 2nd part talks about how many fucked up people there are. shouldn't we make it almost impossible for these 'fucked up' people to get assault weapons?
    That's my original point, how the fuck are you going to make it "almost impossible"? You can make guns from a 3D printer. You can make your own ammo. Billions are already out there, and technology has only made them easier to produce on an individual level. You can create a hurdle, but you cannot make them "almost impossible" to get. That doesn't even touch other means of violence such as pipe bombs and pressure cookers filled with nails.
    do you realize how nutty it sounds to admit there is a problem but then advocate doing NOTHING to change it?

also this is not a terrorism problem. most mass shootings in this country have had nothing to do with terrorism. it's just crazy fucks having easy access to fast killing weapons. why is this difficult to understand?
    I've given plenty of good ideas that you choose to ignore. Stop being sheep is a great one. Be realistic that there is violence and learn situational awareness. I just tend to believe solutions start on personal levels, not government mandated programs.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!
    So let's completely saturate society with countless guns and yell, "Every man for themselves!"

You ignored my previous response, but I'd like to hear what you have to say regarding this: there is no band aid remedy for your gun problem. The time to fix today's problems was 20 years ago. 20 years from now... do you want our children picking up the ball and carrying on with this lopsided debate? Or would you prefer a chance to make your country safer as all other developed countries have done for themselves?

You might have to sacrifice a portion of your hobby, but hell, man... look what some sacrificed in Europe or the Pacific to try and keep your country 'safe'. The absolute refusal to look at the problem for what it is- even the willingness to appear foolish by presenting silly arguments as a defence- is what blows my mind. I mean... I get hearing the gun lover's argument from a one toothed yokel, but from a seemingly intelligent person with writing skills?
    No, I have chosen to ignore people that call others "one toothed yokel" and the like. That rhetoric only helps to spread hate and division. My point is that the country is already flooded with guns...more than is comprehensible.
    And it's not like these other countries are utopias. I'm fine with gun death rates being higher than other countries if it means burglars and rapists are getting put down. I'm sure the gangs of Chicago would completely comply with a buyback program, right?
    Harsher penalties are good thing, I would even be somewhat okay with a license similar to CCWs if it didn't have other taxing agendas tied to it. But these "bans" are akin to prohibition of other things that have been proven only to cause more problems.
    You're comparing banning assault rifles to banning alcohol?

And you skipped the question: chance at meaningful change or continue the downward spiral?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

And you skipped the question: chance at meaningful change or continue the downward spiral?
    Meaningful change, yes. I just differ on what that means. And I'm comparing prohibition to prohibition. Prohibition does not work, it has been shown time and time again. Let's put our effort into meaningfully changing the shitty education we are providing for starts. Even the mention of prohibiting firearms has resulted in people flooding to the gun counters.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    This is kind of where my head is at on the state of debate with guns.

MANY IN NATION TIRED OF EXPLAINING THINGS TO IDIOTS

Coming in a close second, statistical proof that gun control has reduced gun deaths in countries around the world is something that a significant number of those polled have given up attempting to break down for morons.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/many-in-nation-tired-of-explaining-things-to-idiots
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    polaris_x said:

i would side with the people who say a ban or more regulations on guns would not solve the mass shootings that have happened ... it would likely prevent a few accidental deaths but by in large - i'd speculate that the gun violence statistics would stay pretty much the same ...

america has a violence problem which is amplified with it's love affair with guns and all things destructive ... how many of y'all who support stricter gun laws are also the same people who say that if anyone tried to hurt your family - you'd go after those people!? ...

the country was born from violence and has a legacy of violence ... one of the biggest lobbies in the country is the NRA and the military industrial complex is a driver of US foreign policy ...

aren't all countries born, or at least bred at some point in their history, on violence?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited June 2016

polaris_x said:

i would side with the people who say a ban or more regulations on guns would not solve the mass shootings that have happened ... it would likely prevent a few accidental deaths but by in large - i'd speculate that the gun violence statistics would stay pretty much the same ...

america has a violence problem which is amplified with it's love affair with guns and all things destructive ... how many of y'all who support stricter gun laws are also the same people who say that if anyone tried to hurt your family - you'd go after those people!? ...

the country was born from violence and has a legacy of violence ... one of the biggest lobbies in the country is the NRA and the military industrial complex is a driver of US foreign policy ...

aren't all countries born, or at least bred at some point in their history, on violence?
    Yes, but not all countries encourage violence through various forms of media. Is Hollywood somewhat to blame? Anything that perpetuates the devaluation of human life has a hand in this violent culture. Maybe if our children spent more time volunteering instead of playing violent video games and watching Saw. I have seen first hand how media can influence children's behavior. When I was a counselor I saw children trying to stab people at school because they "saw it on Grand Theft Auto". Anyone that says there is not a correlation between violent media and violent behavior is delusional or misinformed. Not too many Boy Scouts shooting up theaters...just sayin.
    Again, personal responsibility, stop feeding children this shit and I promise in a generation or two you will see a change in culture.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

polaris_x said:

Yeah, people are still people. I don't buy the argument that there is something inherently different about the makeup of Americans. Nothing big enough that can't be changed culturally within a generation or 2 anyways.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

Meaningful change, yes. I just differ on what that means. And I'm comparing prohibition to prohibition. Prohibition does not work, it has been shown time and time again. Let's put our effort into meaningfully changing the shitty education we are providing for starts. Even the mention of prohibiting firearms has resulted in people flooding to the gun counters.
    Okay so more taxes to fund a better educational system. Not too shabby. This is a start.

Causal factors aside... you seem to refuse to acknowledge that when you shed all the layers to the problem... at the core rests a tool designed to kill other people.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Yes, but not all countries encourage violence through various forms of media. Is Hollywood somewhat to blame? Anything that perpetuates the devaluation of human life has a hand in this violent culture. Maybe if our children spent more time volunteering instead of playing violent video games and watching Saw. I have seen first hand how media can influence children's behavior. When I was a counselor I saw children trying to stab people at school because they "saw it on Grand Theft Auto". Anyone that says there is not a correlation between violent media and violent behavior is delusional or misinformed. Not too many Boy Scouts shooting up theaters...just sayin.
    Again, personal responsibility, stop feeding children this shit and I promise in a generation or two you will see a change in culture.
    You think Canadians don't play Grand Theft Auto and watch violent movies?

Try again.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

I've given plenty of good ideas that you choose to ignore. Stop being sheep is a great one. Be realistic that there is violence and learn situational awareness. I just tend to believe solutions start on personal levels, not government mandated programs.
    i am completely realistic. never have I or i believe anyone in this thread has advocated banning ALL guns. we just don't see any realistic reason that guns designed for war to kill as many people as quickly as possible need to be or should be sold in this country.

i asked this question last week before the latest mass shooting. if gun proponents believe that people kill people and that the guns aren't responsible then why do we stop any weapons of war from being sold? why not allow people to buy tanks, hand grenades and heck even missiles? why limit them to protecting themselves with just guns? So we don't allow that because of course there are limits. we just want to push that limit to assault weapons.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,291
    dignin said:

This is kind of where my head is at on the state of debate with guns.

MANY IN NATION TIRED OF EXPLAINING THINGS TO IDIOTS

Coming in a close second, statistical proof that gun control has reduced gun deaths in countries around the world is something that a significant number of those polled have given up attempting to break down for morons.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/many-in-nation-tired-of-explaining-things-to-idiots

that's great.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

Okay so more taxes to fund a better educational system. Not too shabby. This is a start.

Causal factors aside... you seem to refuse to acknowledge that when you shed all the layers to the problem... at the core rests a tool designed to kill other people.
    Those tools will never go away...it is statistically impossible without waging an all out war. I would rather provide scholarship programs for volunteers and other ideas to encourage positive behavior. Maybe if politicians reward those that behave in positive ways and spend their campaign contributions on scholarships instead of TV spots. I'd vote for that person. One of those "if I had a billion dollars" scenarios. We are all guilty of not helping our neighbors enough. And in my opinion the "core" rests with individuals with nothing to lose or sick agendas and the ideological brainwashed...the ones that see violence as a tool.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,217
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

I'm fine with gun death rates being higher than other countries if it means burglars and rapists are getting put down.
    That would be great if it were true. Didn't someone in this very thread point out a couple months ago that the burglary rate in Australia dropped after they banned guns 20 years ago? And that the current burglary rate is lower in Australia than it is here in the US?
  • Options

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.
    this is a point I was about to make, too, Thirty. how can we explain the differences in violent culture between Canada and the US, or even Europe and the US, when our influences are the same? same video games, same movies, etc. I think this is part of the issue; it is largely unexplainable why one nation of people have turned into one of, if not THE, most violent first world nations on earth.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

Those tools will never go away...it is statistically impossible without waging an all out war. I would rather provide scholarship programs for volunteers and other ideas to encourage positive behavior. Maybe if politicians reward those that behave in positive ways and spend their campaign contributions on scholarships instead of TV spots. I'd vote for that person. One of those "if I had a billion dollars" scenarios. We are all guilty of not helping our neighbors enough. And in my opinion the "core" rests with individuals with nothing to lose or sick agendas and the ideological brainwashed...the ones that see violence as a tool.
    there is validity in this statement. it kind of goes along with "instead of fighting weeds with chemicals that harm the grass, just plant more grass and basically crowd the weeds out".
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.
    this is a point I was about to make, too, Thirty. how can we explain the differences in violent culture between Canada and the US, or even Europe and the US, when our influences are the same? same video games, same movies, etc. I think this is part of the issue; it is largely unexplainable why one nation of people have turned into one of, if not THE, most violent first world nations on earth.
    I don't know, has that comprehensive study been done? Are the education systems similar? How similar are our cultures really?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

polaris_x said:

sure ... but not to the extent of the US and how it's permeated throughout history ...
  • Options
    RiotZact said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

I'm fine with gun death rates being higher than other countries if it means burglars and rapists are getting put down.
    That would be great if it were true. Didn't someone in this very thread point out a couple months ago that the burglary rate in Australia dropped after they banned guns 20 years ago? And that the current burglary rate is lower in Australia than it is here in the US?
    I've seen mixed statistics regarding this issue. Researched it several times and it is hard to come to a direct correlation.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

there is validity in this statement. it kind of goes along with "instead of fighting weeds with chemicals that harm the grass, just plant more grass and basically crowd the weeds out".
    Exactly!!! I look at my newborn son and see nothing but positive reactions to being loved. How can we create a generation of children that want to love each other instead of wanting to blow them up like in most blockbusters and video games? Encourage and reward positive behaviors and you will see positive results. Do the opposite and the opposite will happen. Not an easy task, but are we not capable of rewarding positive behavior on a national level? There is so much money spent on bullshit...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

Exactly!!!
    Except that strategy doesn't work lol
    I don't use chemicals, but I don't win the war on weeds either!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

FUCK THAT!

Exactly!!!
    Except that strategy doesn't work lol
    I don't use chemicals, but I don't win the war on weeds either!
    Just planting the wrong type of grass ;). My lawn is beautiful and is "almost" completely organic! Not sure what the societal equivalent of putting down a pre-emergent would be, lol
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.
    we aren't shaped as a society by movies and video games ... sure, popular culture influences a lot of things in society ... but the violence I speak of has been bred into the fabric of this society through ignorance and hate ... a society that still believes in the death penalty and dropping bombs around the world as their beacon of "freedom" ... a society that believes the path to a secure life is to own guns ...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.
    I don't know, has that comprehensive study been done? Are the education systems similar? How similar are our cultures really?
    well I'd say our cultures are very similar. politically, no. canadians aren't nearly as patriotic, to say the least, as americans. it's rare to see a canadian flag on a house. the only time you see one is at a government building or during the world junior hockey championships, LOL.

not sure about the education systems, so can't comment.

but what I was commenting on was your point that you believe hollywood and video games are very much to blame, but how can that be, when our children watch the same movies and play the same games?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Just saw a video of someone twining or snapping chats or whatever when the shots started.
    Terrifying.

I counted 18 shots in about 10-12 seconds.

These guns need heavier restrictions if not banned.
    There need to be limits on overall rate of fire, and maybe ar15s needn't be outright banned but they need to be much harder to buy than a respectable hunting rifle or shotgun.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.
    well I'd say our cultures are very similar. politically, no. canadians aren't nearly as patriotic, to say the least, as americans. it's rare to see a canadian flag on a house. the only time you see one is at a government building or during the world junior hockey championships, LOL.

but what I was commenting on was your point that you believe hollywood and video games are very much to blame, but how can that be, when our children watch the same movies and play the same games?
    They are not only to blame, but exposing a child that does not have the brain connectivity to differentiate reality vs fiction to graphic violence is not a great start...aka 7 year olds playing GTA and watching Saw.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

PJPOWER said:

polaris_x said:

Try again.

They are not only to blame, but exposing a child that does not have the brain connectivity to differentiate reality vs fiction to graphic violence is not a great start...aka 7 year olds playing GTA and watching Saw.
    Don't leave out all the indoctrination toward war, we are inundated with glorification of WW2 in this country.
This discussion has been closed.