Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    And by the way, that's a big Fuck You to the dumb no blocking the plate rule that nobody understands. That's just baseball right there. Pure and simple.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,832

And by the way, that's a big Fuck You to the dumb no blocking the plate rule that nobody understands. That's just baseball right there. Pure and simple.

Let's just ignore how intoxicated I am and realize how much like 08'some Victorino's throw that was. Actually, even better. If this team SUCKS and makes a run athe the playoffs I'm perfectly fine with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Let's just ignore how intoxicated I am and realize how much like 08'some Victorino's throw that was. Actually, even better. If this team SUCKS and makes a run athe the playoffs I'm perfectly fine with that.
    Yeah. At least they're enjoyable to watch again. That throw was one of those moments where, drunk or not, you let your mind think "this makes no sense, but what if....?"

Now they'll probably lose 5 in a row now. Haha
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,277

This fucking team. Wow what a finish!

Surprised that was #2 on sportscenter's top 10 plays. this was #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6or-MgV4fxc
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    single after single after single after single is frustrating to watch
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    I am a sucker for shit like this. Good read.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,660

I am a sucker for shit like this. Good read.
    Hell yeah. Love all the South Philly love too.
  • Options
    This is a pretty awesome story - http://www.phillymag.com/articles/john-middleton-phillies-owner/

Sounds like his sister is a piece of garbage. And if I know being from Philly, she'll get her part of the team and do like Rachel Phelps ala Major League. But other than that, this is the kind of owner you want. Hopefully he gets 100% of this team.
  • Options
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited May 2016
    Went to this brewery in January when my wife and I were in Delray Beach on vacation. Place is awesome. Highly recommended if you're ever in SE Florida
  • Options
    And another series win for the Phils...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Only the Cubs have more wins than them in all of MLB. Crazy.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Tied for first. Haha

What is happening??
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Tied for first. Haha

What is happening??
    :smiley:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    The Phillies are the first team since 1900 to be 7 games over .500, 40 games into the season, and have a minus 30 run differential.

Suck it, Pecota.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016

JK_Livin said:

Tied for first. Haha

What is happening??
    It's called a fluke. Happens all the time in sports. Perfect example was the mets making it to the WS last year.

It is nice to see mackanin platooning ryan howard's corpse. We are almost at the end of living that nightmare of him on this roster
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    fangraphs had a cool feature ranking the mlb announcers. phillies were 30 out of 32 (30 teams but some teams have separate crews for home and road games). ranking seemed accurate. I wonder how long mccarthy's contract is for
  • Options
    Interesting to see if this can continue. Kudos to Mackanin for sticking with him...

Goeddel's first 11 G: 11 Ks in 21 AB. Last 14 G: 1 K in 44 AB. The former prospect is prospering with playing time:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh Hell Yes. Weather is gonna suck tomorrow, but I'll be there Sunday with bells on

http://www.philly.com/philly/living/20160520_After_nearly_20_years__the_grease_pole_is_back.html

Philly is the best

• Options
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited May 2016
    Double Post
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Here's a baseball scenario for you guys that my friend and I like to joke about. There is, in our opinion, a right and wrong answer to this:

Man on second, nobody out. You're a member of the hitting team in dugout. Your clean-up hitter comes to the plate and he grounds out to the second baseman. When he returns to the dugout, do you give him a high-five for moving the runner to third?

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Here's a baseball scenario for you guys that my friend and I like to joke about. There is, in our opinion, a right and wrong answer to this:

Man on second, nobody out. You're a member of the hitting team in dugout. Your clean-up hitter comes to the plate and he grounds out to the second baseman. When he returns to the dugout, do you give him a high-five for moving the runner to third?

Yes. Technically it was a successful at bat. I am not a fan of sac bunting, but moving a guy over is significantly better than a K. The clean up hitter throws a wrench in it, but if you give the number 9 hitter a high-five, you give every hitter a high-five.
  • Options
    Haha. There's a lot of things I can say on this matter....but I won't.

Keep Philly Weird.
  • Options

Haha. There's a lot of things I can say on this matter....but I won't.

Keep Philly Weird.

The grease pole?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Yes. Technically it was a successful at bat. I am not a fan of sac bunting, but moving a guy over is significantly better than a K. The clean up hitter throws a wrench in it, but if you give the number 9 hitter a high-five, you give every hitter a high-five.
    See I disagree. I feel that since he's the cleanup hitter, you'd be patronizing him. Especially when his job is to drive in runs when guys are in scoring position. So where another batter (certainty the 8th or 9th batter) might deserve the high-five, I wouldn't give one to the cleanup hitter.

This debate actually began on a drunken Sunday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park two years ago. My friend and I were sitting right next to the Phillies dugout (the best seats I've ever had a Phillies game actually) when, with a man on second and nobody out, Howard hit a soft bouncer to the second baseman, moving the runner to third. Now my friend is a little similar to The Fixer in that he was on the "this is the worst-contract ever" side of the fence pretty early on with Howard. And as Howard began trotting back to the dugout after grounding out, my friend starts screaming at the players in the dugout "DON'T YOU DARE HIGH-FIVE HIM FOR MOVING THE RUNNER OVER! DON'T YOU DARE! IF IT WAS FREDDY GALVIS YOU COULD BUT NOT RYAN!!!" It was funny.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited May 2016

See I disagree. I feel that since he's the cleanup hitter, you'd be patronizing him. Especially when his job is to drive in runs when guys are in scoring position. So where another batter (certainty the 8th or 9th batter) might deserve the high-five, I wouldn't give one to the cleanup hitter.

This debate actually began on a drunken Sunday afternoon at Citizens Bank Park two years ago. My friend and I were sitting right next to the Phillies dugout (the best seats I've ever had a Phillies game actually) when, with a man on second and nobody out, Howard hit a soft bouncer to the second baseman, moving the runner to third. Now my friend is a little similar to The Fixer in that he was on the "this is the worst-contract ever" side of the fence pretty early on with Howard. And as Howard began trotting back to the dugout after grounding out, my friend starts screaming at the players in the dugout "DON'T YOU DARE HIGH-FIVE HIM FOR MOVING THE RUNNER OVER! DON'T YOU DARE! IF IT WAS FREDDY GALVIS YOU COULD BUT NOT RYAN!!!" It was funny.
    I get what you're saying and everyone knows their role on the team, but I feel like that it is incredibly patronizing (probably not the right word..more of a slap in the face) to the 8 or 9 hitter. I could go either way on this.
  • Options

Your friend is irrational. He advanced the runner. HIGH FIVES ALL AROUND!
    chinese-happy.jpg