Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,229
    Wowwwww, actually don't mind that deal. 
    I thought it’d be a real mess without Nola. Glad he’s coming back!
    Yeah i'm glad too. Just hope he can pitch the way he used to. This past season he was up and down.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,827
    My thing is 1) the AAV isn't bad because of the years 2) pitching is super expensive, and I'd rather roll the dice on dependability & a player that I know than someone like Snell who hasn't pitched more than 130 innings.

Seems like Nola took the discount for these reasons, too. Also makes me hold out hope that they're not done.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,733
    I mean. He figured which pitch clock to look at so it’s all unicorns and rainbows now…
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I mean. He figured which pitch clock to look at so it’s all unicorns and rainbows now…
    I dunno...they're reducing the clock with men on base to 18 seconds. Feel a lot of Rav 4th innings incoming.
  • Options
    I dunno...they're reducing the clock with men on base to 18 seconds. Feel a lot of Rav 4th innings incoming.
    I'm surprised they don't have a sponsor for every inning.

"And that's the 3rd out in the Gilette Mach 5th"

Is anything going on in sports today?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    Just wanted to remark (again) that I really love this city.  Only been here since 2012 but I feel like I fit it.  
    Ran the marathon yesterday and there were about 20 times I thought "how cool is this"....be it running by Independence Hall, or through Manayunk, around Fairmont Park, or just people handing out shots of Jameson and beers (to folks running 26.2 miles!).  
    This place is great.
    Fuck all the haters, they can stay in NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Dallas, Boston, Miami, Denver, or wherever in the heck else people want to tout for large cities to live in.
    Happy to raise our kid to be a dood from the area and am glad I "forced" the local teams on him and didn't let him pick the teams I root for.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Just wanted to remark (again) that I really love this city.  Only been here since 2012 but I feel like I fit it.  
    Ran the marathon yesterday and there were about 20 times I thought "how cool is this"....be it running by Independence Hall, or through Manayunk, around Fairmont Park, or just people handing out shots of Jameson and beers (to folks running 26.2 miles!).  
    This place is great.
    Fuck all the haters, they can stay in NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Dallas, Boston, Miami, Denver, or wherever in the heck else people want to tout for large cities to live in.
    Happy to raise our kid to be a dood from the area and am glad I "forced" the local teams on him and didn't let him pick the teams I root for.

How'd you do? Nice cool day for ya.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    edited November 2023
    This place is great.

Personal best for a marathon by 23 mins but missed my overall goal for this race by quite a bit, as well.  Was on target until about Manayunk and then I was on fumes the last 6-7 miles.
    It was beautiful out there. 
  • Options
    This place is great.

Personal best for a marathon by 23 mins but missed my overall goal for this race by quite a bit, as well.  Was on target until about Manayunk and then I was on fumes the last 6-7 miles.
    That's awesome. I hated that Main St. turnaround. Way back when in 2001 & 2004.

• Options
    This place is great.

That's awesome. I hated that Main St. turnaround. Way back when in 2001 & 2004.
    I swear some people turned before the end.  
    I love the way it comes in and is so loud, there, but that subtle uphill 3-4 miles pooped me out.  
  • Options
    This place is great.

Hell yeah - you can remark infinitely, buddy.

Reminded me of this article recently: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/philadelphia/why-philadelphia-is-the-only-american-city-that-feels-sane/

Congrats on the marathon!
  • Options
    Also, I would have loved to run it as a 27 or 30 year old.  That would have been awesome.  I would have made a joke, at that age, about the likelihood or my ever running marathons or ultras.  
    Never know what the future will hold, I guess!
  • Options
    This place is great.

Hell yeah - you can remark infinitely, buddy.

Reminded me of this article recently: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/philadelphia/why-philadelphia-is-the-only-american-city-that-feels-sane/

Congrats on the marathon!
    Thanks and great article.  
    Some great points made, there!
  • Options
    Somebody maybe copy and paste that article? Didn't feel like making an account. People in the burbs constantly talking shit on the city with the same anecdotes. Doubly so when you mention Temple. The words barely change. It's exhausting.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Went to log back in to it and it asked for a sign up....think I got one free look.  It is full of positive things about Philly vs some of the other changes with US cities.  
    I was at a family function yesterday evening and one of the guests grew up in Philly.  "It is a disgrace now, it is totally unsafe.  I hate Jersey (where he lives now) and I hate Philly now"
    He proceeded to tell me how tough he was compared to his son and their soft friends. 
    I was kind and did not put 2 and 2 together and show him that he was the soft one.  Old, scared, and white.  He actually used the Italian slang for black people (you know the one) and saw my face change.  I ended the conversation and went to speak with someone else.  Fuck that guy - old, wimpy, bastard!
  • Options
    Went to log back in to it and it asked for a sign up....think I got one free look.  It is full of positive things about Philly vs some of the other changes with US cities.  
    I was at a family function yesterday evening and one of the guests grew up in Philly.  "It is a disgrace now, it is totally unsafe.  I hate Jersey (where he lives now) and I hate Philly now"
    He proceeded to tell me how tough he was compared to his son and their soft friends. 
    I was kind and did not put 2 and 2 together and show him that he was the soft one.  Old, scared, and white.  He actually used the Italian slang for black people (you know the one) and saw my face change.  I ended the conversation and went to speak with someone else.  Fuck that guy - old, wimpy, bastard!
    It's nothing but what they see on the news and Fakebook. They don't even know the first thing about the city. The dirtbikes are pretty annoying but otherwise it's pretty nice and the food is phenomenal. Oh yeah it kinda smells like weed all over - that's annoying too. Whatever.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,456
    Happy to have Nola back. 

Do you guys think they still go after YAMA MOTO?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Happy to have Nola back. 

Do you guys think they still go after YAMA MOTO?
    Sure. It's not my money.

• Options
    Somebody maybe copy and paste that article? Didn't feel like making an account. People in the burbs constantly talking shit on the city with the same anecdotes. Doubly so when you mention Temple. The words barely change. It's exhausting.
    Tip: paste a URL into archive.org,that's what I usually do.
  • Options
    It's nothing but what they see on the news and Fakebook. They don't even know the first thing about the city. The dirtbikes are pretty annoying but otherwise it's pretty nice and the food is phenomenal. Oh yeah it kinda smells like weed all over - that's annoying too. Whatever.
    I have to laugh at that weed comment.  As someone who smoked for years back when it was illegal and I was a youngster, it is wild to smell it everywhere.  Everywhere.  
    I don't care, just not wild that they do it inside, everywhere.  Dude next to us at Flyers is smoking the whole game, with my kid and his friend sitting there.  
    Don't need to do it in your seat. All game
      For Christ's sake buy something strong and do it once a period.  Hold it in, don't blow the whole shit out.  
    Damn crazy kids these days!  ;)

• Options
    Stuff never did anything for me. I'll take a cigar over that any time.

• Options
    I don't want either one, at this point.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,456
    I like this John Foley guy but I didn't realize he was a writer. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I like this John Foley guy but I didn't realize he was a writer. 

Oh shit. Yeah, kinda makes me want to be out on PHLY. If they're not hiring a good writer like Gelb because they're going to piece their Phils coverage together with a sports anchor wannabe soccer player, a dipshit like Jamie, and a meme/video creator on Twitter, then boooooo.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    I mean, Zach isn't writing too much stuff on there. Rich Hoffman (is he the son of the old Daily News writer?) just writes the emails (which I like, but come on). The only prolific writer is Charlie, who pumps out insane amounts of Flyers material. I don't see too much Sixers stuff on there. At least do transcripts of the podcasts - you can certainly get through them faster without all those damn ads.

• Options
    This is my problem tho - they've recruited a ton of really good writers to....not write? Seems like a badly managed entity right now all because Gargano knows some advertising guys (foco, hero bread, trading cards ads nonstop). Hoffman, Berman, Bodner, Wulf, Gelb (apparently not coming now) are all really good writers that are being wasted and was all I really wanted to do (read, which is apparently too hard for a lot of people). I enjoy the Eagles & Sixers pods (Phils to a lesser extent, bummed Gelb isn't coming on), but I don't need them daily.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,657
    My thing is 1) the AAV isn't bad because of the years 2) pitching is super expensive, and I'd rather roll the dice on dependability & a player that I know than someone like Snell who hasn't pitched more than 130 innings.

Seems like Nola took the discount for these reasons, too. Also makes me hold out hope that they're not done.
    $172M is a discount? think of that…one hundred seventy two MILLION. :tired_face:

smart move….how much money can a person possibly need?….stay where you’re comfortable and don’t go to some shit team just to make some more millions you’ll never spend.

I’ve only been to philly once as an adult….PJ 2016…..loved it!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I mean 'discount' is a relative term here.