Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    edited October 2023
    Was really hoping for a rematch from last year, but the game 7's didn't go well for either team. At least y'all kept it close! Good god...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,827
    Well, that certainly sucked. You're not beating anyone if you're not going to hit.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,733
    Well, that certainly sucked. You're not beating anyone if you're not going to hit.
    I was at the Chris Carpenter game so I can empathize with your experience. Although at least you could respect getting beat by a great pitcher.

That 8th & 9th inning - just pathetic. This team came back so many times this year, and they were just like - meh.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    lol game 5 when Howard also ended the game in spectacular, horrific fashion? Yeah, was there as well. I've seen a shit ton of disappointment up close and personal lol. I think one of the best things I've read recently is that at least all these kids who have grown up with all these positive Philly moments are finally joining the rest of us haha.

I mean there's a lot that went wrong in this entire series. If Kimbrel doesn't Kimbrel it then we're not here.

But for this game it came down to how just utterly awful the lineup was, Harper's shitty throw to second, Topper's absolute terrible managing. You bring in Jose when Hoffman was doing fine? You switch Rojas for Pache after all of that? Turner, Nick were complete shells of themselves.

I don't think they can go into the offseason the exact same roster. If they can get any value for Nick - which I think they very much can after this season - they should be shrewd and capitalize on that.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,456
    Yes, sign me up for trading Nick too. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,657
    lol game 5 when Howard also ended the game in spectacular, horrific fashion? Yeah, was there as well. I've seen a shit ton of disappointment up close and personal lol. I think one of the best things I've read recently is that at least all these kids who have grown up with all these positive Philly moments are finally joining the rest of us haha.

speaking of kids….something about seeing two little entitled shits in the front row every night irritated me.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    and EVERY fanbase…football, baseball and hockey….can lose the giant plastic chains.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    and EVERY fanbase…football, baseball and hockey….can lose the giant plastic chains.
    This came up last night - I'm absolutely indifferent to children wearing these. It's the adults.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    This came up last night - I'm absolutely indifferent to children wearing these. It's the adults.
    I suppose children can wear them….but not that little shit in the front row!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,547
    On one hand, this was a total choke-job. But on the other hand, eh, this year's Phillies are basically last year's Padres. And this year's Diamondbacks are last year's Phillies. None of these teams are really all that great, but somebody has to win the pennant after the actual top teams are knocked out in the divisional round. 
    Too many teams make the Playoffs now?
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

speaking of kids….something about seeing two little entitled shits in the front row every night irritated me.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Those kids were straight out of casting for Billions. I couldn't stand them either. And those rich old farts who couldn't be bothered to stand even with bases loaded or whatever.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798
    cutz said:
    On one hand, this was a total choke-job. But on the other hand, eh, this year's Phillies are basically last year's Padres. And this year's Diamondbacks are last year's Phillies. None of these teams are really all that great, but somebody has to win the pennant after the actual top teams are knocked out in the divisional round. 
    Hopefully that is not an opinion because the poor top seeds lost...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    Those kids were straight out of casting for Billions. I couldn't stand them either. And those rich old farts who couldn't be bothered to stand even with bases loaded or whatever.
    at least philly doesn’t have the straight up barcalounger seats like some stadiums e.g. yankee stadium.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    at least philly doesn’t have the straight up barcalounger seats like some stadiums e.g. yankee stadium.
    It's absurdly penny wise pound foolish to do that. It looks so bad to have empty laz-e-boy chairs in the first 10 rows.

• Options
    cutz said:
    Hopefully that is not an opinion because the poor top seeds lost...
    That’s not what I’m saying at all. I’m saying that this Phillies team, despite beating the top team the Braves, isn’t THAT great where it should be shocking that Arizona won this series. Arizona and Philly got through the top seeds this year as San Diego and Philly did last year, and then it’s a toss-up of who’s gonna go to the World Series. The only difference is that the Padres ran out of steam last year a few games sooner than the Phillies did this year. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I for one am looking forward to the first Citizens Park EEEEEE-VVVVAAAAA chants in 15 years.
    Eva’s probably the highest paid guy on that team!
    turns out Bumgarner is the highest paid :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

How will Phillies reshape roster for 2024? Key questions on Nola, Hoskins, Harper and more

PHILADELPHIA PENNSYLVANIA - AUGUST 04 Aaron Nola 27 of the Philadelphia Phillies looks on during the fourth inning against the Kansas City Royals at Citizens Bank Park on August 04 2023 in Philadelphia Pennsylvania Photo by Tim NwachukwuGetty Images
    By Matt Gelb
    4h ago

Save Article

PHILADELPHIA — They made sure to savor every moment this October, no matter how small, and that’s why Aaron Nola tipped his cap when he could and why Rhys Hoskins went straight from the airport to Citizens Bank Park to witness Game 7 from the dugout. But, at 11:22 p.m. ET, Hoskins sat alone and blew a bubble as the Diamondbacks danced on the grass. Nola retreated into the clubhouse where teammates offered their goodbyes.

ADVERTISEMENT

A jarring end to this Phillies season only expedited questions about the club’s longest-tenured players. What the Phillies do with Nola, specifically, is a tipping point for the remainder of this offseason.

“Hope I’m back, for sure,” Nola said Tuesday night. “But I don’t know what the future holds yet.”

Nola will test the free-agent market and, in all likelihood, he will find strong interest. He is a starter who makes every start in an era when teams do not have enough durable starting pitchers. The Phillies exchanged offers with Nola’s camp last spring, but neither side showed much initiative to bridge a wide gap. Market forces will add urgency. It’s possible the Cardinals and Braves are among Nola’s top bidders.

Maybe the Phillies don’t want to pay a starting pitcher $30 million a year into his 30s, but that decision requires a separate — and not obvious — solution to replace 200 innings.

The Nola decision is perhaps Dave Dombrowski’s toughest test in his time as the Phillies’ president of baseball operations. Even if the 2024 Phillies resemble the 2023 version, Dombrowski has more than Nola to consider as he reshapes the roster.

1. If Aaron Nola walks, what’s the plan?

Aaron Nola has made 235 starts for the Phillies. Will he be back? (Bill Streicher / USA Today)

Every indication is the Phillies will make an attempt to re-sign Nola, but it would not be shocking to see them pivot if other teams put a higher price on him than they do. Even if they believe Mick Abel, one of the club’s best pitching prospects, can debut sometime in 2024, they know he would not be replacing Nola’s 193 2/3 innings. Top prospect Andrew Painter will miss 2024 as he continues to recover from Tommy John surgery. Griff McGarry, another pitching prospect, will incorporate major mechanical changes as the Phillies attempt to get him in the strike zone more. He profiles as a future reliever.

So, the internal solutions are not there. If the Phillies balk at paying Nola top dollar, they probably won’t do it for someone like Blake Snell. The free-agent starter market is not deep.

ADVERTISEMENT

But there could be trades to pursue. Milwaukee’s Corbin Burnes is a free agent after the 2024 season and the Brewers are long shots to re-sign him. Because of that, they could look this winter to flip Burnes, 29, to a team that can negotiate a long-term extension. The Rays are expected to float Tyler Glasnow, who will be in the last year of a two-year, $30.35 million deal, in trade talks. Glasnow, 30, is not the portrait of durability. He pitched a career-high 120 innings last season. But he is effective when healthy.

Although Nola is not without flaws, the potential solutions are riddled with pitfalls. Perhaps the sting of Game 7 prompts Dombrowski (and ownership) to be more aggressive in retaining Nola.

2. Where does Bryce Harper play in 2024?

Bryce Harper played 36 games at first base this past season. (Brad Mills / USA Today)

When Harper went to the Phillies in April with his idea to learn first base, he did it knowing there were ramifications beyond 2023.

“If I can give them whatever they want from first base, or right field, or whatever it is — not just this year, but going forward — it gives us an opportunity,” Harper said in April. “Whatever it is. Whatever they want. It gives them the option to do that.”

Even if the Phillies retain Hoskins on a short-term deal, it’s unlikely he would be an everyday first baseman in the first year back from ACL surgery. Harper, before the National League Championship Series, said if the Phillies re-sign Hoskins, he expects to return to the outfield “in some capacity.” Harper will be medically cleared to do that by spring training.

Harper has enjoyed his time at first base and playing on the dirt has kept him engaged. He made mistakes, but some of those were from inexperience. He looks like someone who can play the position and play it well.

“I don’t mind giving them the option, even if (Rhys) does come back, if Rhys needs a day off,” Harper said last week. “Give them the option to put me at first base and they know, ‘Hey, we can put him there at any point and he’ll be fine.’”

ADVERTISEMENT

Hoskins is interested in returning. The Phillies know that. The question is whether they can fit a bunch of corner outfielders and first basemen and designated hitter types onto the same roster. Maybe Harper splits his time in the outfield and the infield while Hoskins does so half as a first baseman and half as a DH. That would force Kyle Schwarber into 70 or so games as a left fielder.

There would not be much positional flexibility. But, in the NLCS, the Phillies were again reminded how much they missed Hoskins’ combination of right-handed power and patience.

3. What does the outfield look like?

Will the Phillies try to trade Nick Castellanos this winter? (Bill Streicher / USA Today)

Maybe the Phillies re-sign Hoskins and that means Harper plays 80 games in the outfield. Would the Phillies keep Nick Castellanos in right and have Harper re-learn left field? He has not played an inning there since 2014. But if he does that, is there enough space for both Brandon Marsh and Johan Rojas on the roster? Rojas is an elite defender whose bat needs work. But the Phillies saw enough flashes to think he has the makings of a valuable everyday player. Marsh showed improvement in many areas — power, plate discipline, at-bats against lefties — and seems like someone who should be playing every day.

This all makes Castellanos an intriguing figure this winter. He is owed $60 million over three years. It’s a contract that is almost untradable despite 2023 being something of a rebound season for Castellanos. The Phillies could pursue a trade involving another team’s bad contract that is a better fit on the roster. If the Phillies believe Arizona exploited a weakness in their free-swinging ways, no one embodies that like Castellanos does. The Phillies could seek a better balance of aggressive and patient hitters in their lineup. Flipping Castellanos would allow Harper, for now, to return to a full-time place in right field.

But that’s easier said than done. It might not be realistic.

4. Who will make amends with Taijuan Walker?

Taijuan Walker, far right, was relegated to cheering his teammates during the postseason. (Eric Hartline / USA Today)

As some Phillies players and coaches circled the clubhouse after midnight on Tuesday, Walker reclined at his locker and sipped a drink. Nola came over at one point and sat with him. They talked.

Walker, for most of the postseason, stood on the top step of the dugout. He was cheering his teammates, living and dying with every moment. He did not pitch. Then, at 2:04 a.m. on Wednesday, he tweeted: “Disrespect is at an all time high #nextyear,” and he later liked a tweet from a fan that said, “The disrespect is from your manager. He had no faith in you, which was a joke and his game decision cost the Phillies this series. REMEMBER THAT!”

It’s an odd dynamic. The Phillies liked Walker enough last winter to pay him $72 million over four years. They went 21-10 in games he started during the season. He was an important part of the Phillies winning 90 games.

But the club did not trust him in the postseason. He was viewed as only an emergency option for extra innings. So, now what? Walker will return as a mid-rotation starter. Will those hard feelings lead to problems down the road?

Walker, Ranger Suárez and Cristopher Sánchez form a solid back of the rotation. The Phillies would hope for 75 starts from the trio in 2024. And, if Nola walks, the onus on those three pitchers could be even greater. It’s why someone from the Phillies will have to provide Walker with some real answers this winter. They need him in 2024.

• Options
    Not sure why Nick is so untradeable. 3 years left on the contract, we can eat some of it. He was big in beating the Braves but absolutely a major factor in blowing that series. Somebody could use a 100 RBI guy, right? He had 100 RBI's didn't he?

Not signing Nola is like going on a wing & a prayer - probably ain't gonna work. Tell you, the Braves sure wished they had their own Nola.

• Options
    I'd love to bring both Rhys and Nola back and trade Nick, if that's at all possible. Put Bryce back in right, let Marsh and Johan play every day, and dh Schwarber. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,224
    I can hear the kids on my son's baseball team, now:
    We've NEVER won a game 7!

:lol:

Sorry guys, being a fan can really suck.  This morning is one of those times,  I imagine.
    At least you have a very good (and experienced) team loading up to have at it, again, next year.

Also, the top payroll Mets fucked with the entire baseball world and got what they deserved
      There is always that to look at.

Like the Phils don’t spend money and drive up prices and they got the luckiest break in the world signing their ace for one reason alone, prior cheap and incompetent met ownership. he never wanted to leave NY. After years and years supporting him thru all his injuries.

No fan base gets it worse than his old team, having to deal with their cross town rivals. Love how your comment ignores Steinbrenner historical influence. Steve Cohen the owner was created by this system, and his wallet is still there, fueled by frustration of thirty years of cheap ownership. Enjoy the show!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,798

Sorry guys, being a fan can really suck.  This morning is one of those times,  I imagine.
    At least you have a very good (and experienced) team loading up to have at it, again, next year.

Also, the top payroll Mets fucked with the entire baseball world and got what they deserved

Like the Phils don’t spend money and drive up prices and they got the luckiest break in the world signing their ace for one reason alone, prior cheap and incompetent met ownership. he never wanted to leave NY. After years and years supporting him thru all his injuries.

No fan base gets it worse than his old team, having to deal with their cross town rivals. Love how your comment ignores Steinbrenner historical influence. Steve Cohen the owner was created by this system, and his wallet is still there, fueled by frustration of thirty years of cheap ownership. Enjoy the show!
    Salty Mets fans are great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,224

Salty Mets fans are great.

Glad you liked it! Go snakes!
  • Options
    lolmets
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lol like I was trying to figure out what in the fuck this guy was talking about in the other thread lol

I'd love to bring both Rhys and Nola back and trade Nick, if that's at all possible. Put Bryce back in right, let Marsh and Johan play every day, and dh Schwarber. 

I'd absolutely do this. You'd probably have to pay half of Nick's contract to get something significant back, which by all means do it. AND IF NOT SIGN OHTANI.

• Options
    That's fine - it's not money. But we already have a DH don't we?

• Options
    If there's any remote shot of legitimately signing the greatest modern baseball player of all time, then you sign the greatest modern baseball player of all time.
  • Options
    If there's any remote shot of legitimately signing the greatest modern baseball player of all time, then you sign the greatest modern baseball player of all time.
    who are you talking about?

anyway, bonds is retired.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Wobbie said:

I didn't say the greatest hitter of my lifetime. I said the greatest modern baseball player of all time.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I didn't say the greatest hitter of my lifetime. I said the greatest modern baseball player of all time.
    Ohtani? in Philly?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

Ohtani? in Philly?
    No. Ohtani in your mom's house. 
    chinese-happy.jpg