Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    Someone's comment from The Athletic:

For all the comments from people who are saying Harper is a "punk" and "unlikable", I'd like to share some stories from my interactions with him, once when he was 21 years old, and one about 3 years ago.
    My son's best friend and baseball teammate developed a brain tumor at age 10, just a month or two after their little league team (I coached) made it to the state finals here in VA. The young man fought the cancer and it's terrible effects for about 18 months. At one point, someone contacted the Nationals and asked to set up a meeting with Bryce. The meeting was set up and the Nats people told the family that Bryce would only be able to spend 10 minutes with the boy. We all went to the stadium several hours before a game (the family invited me and my son along) and Bryce talked to all of us for ten minutes. Nats people kept trying to pull him away, but he pushed back (maybe he is a "punk", eh?) and said he'd like the young man to come with him. So he and the boy walked into the dugout and were gone for two hours! When the boy came back we all asked what they talked about, and the boy said "A lot of things, baseball, family, God, life and death...stuff like that". Bryce came out again and pulled the boy's parents aside and gave them his cell phone number and his parents numbers. He said if there was anything he could do, he would try his best to help.
    The boy died about a month later and the Nats were in Milwaukee, but the parents got a text from Bryce and his parents, expressing their sorrow.
    The parents held a memorial golf tournament to raise money for cancer research (pediatric cancer) and Bryce donated all kinds of signed items for them to auction off and Bryce's dad delivered the items personally.
    Amazingly, 9 years later, the father tells me he will get the occasional text from Bryce, telling him he still thinks about his son and he hopes the family is doing alright and always asks "Is there anything you need?".

Second story- A co-worker's 13 year old son has leukemia and is in treatment, and the hospital says Bryce and his family are always willing to do anything the kids want, so one day about six kids who have cancer were invited to visit Bryce at the stadium. He immediately tells the parents that he is the babysitter for the next couple of hours and they can go relax in a suite and he has food and drinks up there waiting for them. The kids said he took them around the clubhouse and anywhere they wanted to see, then just sat and talked with them and told them they could ask any questions they wanted to. My friend's son is a hockey kid, not much into baseball, but he LOVES Bryce Harper.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I just wanted you to know there is a difference between being confident and brash, and being a punk. Bryce Harper is far from being a punk, he is a young man with his priorities in order....who happens to also be able to demolish a baseball.
    I'm not a Phillies fan, but I'm forever a Bryce Harper fan....I hope he hits a walk off HR in the World Series!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    Harper being a Phillie - and most likely will be more known as a Phillie than a Nat - is still so incomprehensible to me. I thought Hamels drilling him in the back was dumb, but if you told me 10 years ago this is how this would all play out I wouldn't believe a goddamn word of it.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    Harper being a Phillie - and most likely will be more known as a Phillie than a Nat - is still so incomprehensible to me. I thought Hamels drilling him in the back was dumb, but if you told me 10 years ago this is how this would all play out I wouldn't believe a goddamn word of it.
    We need Hamels throwing out the first pitch for game 3.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    We need Hamels throwing out the first pitch for game 3.
    With Harper catching it.

EDIT:

I have to think they're bringing out the remaining 3 core four for this series - Hamels, Rollins, Utley.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Looks like Topper is leaning towards Nola for game 1
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    lol...I think I miiiiight be going next Tuesday. Go Phils!

• Options

Ohhhh NNNNNOPE. Nope nope nope. Out. Get out.
  • Options
    Looks like Topper is leaning towards Nola for game 1
    Yeah, was talking to a buddy about this. He assumes Wheeler, but I think at the end of the day it doesn't matter. And if you had your choice, you probably don't want to waste your ace (not that Nola isn't as good) against Verlander when the goal is to steal one in Houston.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Ohhhh NNNNNOPE. Nope nope nope. Out. Get out.
    Lolololol. Walk by my house and look at the front window 

And for the record, going was not my idea and tickets are not 100% in place, but a reliable source. Had Monday tickets in place, but not missing Halloween with the daughter, so trying to switch to Tuesday 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Not missing Halloween either, game's not till 8.

Rule is you have to wear Phils swag, thems the rules. Otherwise get in the bathroom.

https://youtu.be/0AISm_ZoctM
  • Options

Rule is you have to wear Phils swag, thems the rules. Otherwise get in the bathroom.

It's the wife's idea. She got really excited about them making it on Sunday (obviously in the dumps of late), but she also wouldn't want to rush out on Monday.  As you may know, my wife is a HUGE sports fan (sarcasm font), but of all the teams, Philles/baseball in general are her favorite. We'll see...waiting on confirmation.

You would be surprised to know that I am the owner of a Phillies hat, which would be donned for such an occasion.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815

It's the wife's idea. She got really excited about them making it on Sunday (obviously in the dumps of late), but she also wouldn't want to rush out on Monday.  As you may know, my wife is a HUGE sports fan (sarcasm font), but of all the teams, Philles/baseball in general are her favorite. We'll see...waiting on confirmation.

You would be surprised to know that I am the owner of a Phillies hat, which would be donned for such an occasion.

I refused to wear actual phillies gear on Saturday.   Wore something which was damn close,  from a past Philly marathon. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    You cannot wear that hat, Cliff. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ya gotta leave the Giants gloves at home tho.

Alright, if those fall through let me know.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    Sorta like going for communion when nor catholic.  Offensive!  :lol:  
  • Options
    From one person I am getting that I have to, from someone else that I cannot.  It would feel odd, has been a long time since it's been on this big old head.  We'll see how this shakes out
  • Options
    Gonna be weird when both teams are in the same division in a few years!
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    I'm kinda resigned to not going. I'm only 1-2 in World Series games anyway. But we'll see.

But this is pure malarkey! =)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Because the Catholic church is exactly who we should be taking our moral approaches from :) 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Fraudulent behavior on his part to wear any Phils swag. No problem with him going to the game though. I just cannot envision any scenario where I would wear a Yanks hat, or any other team's hat under any circumstances! 

Also, for your sake, Cliff, I pray that hat was a gift. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Because the Catholic church is exactly who we should be taking our moral approaches from :) 
    Ahaha.  Too funny.
    Was first example that came to mind but 100% agree with your take.

• Options
    Looking like rain on Monday & Tuesday though damnit.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Fraudulent behavior on his part to wear any Phils swag. No problem with him going to the game though. I just cannot envision any scenario where I would wear a Yanks hat, or any other team's hat under any circumstances! 

Played in an adult league that was the Phillies when I first moved here, so came from that. 

I like when the Phillies are good, Philly is more fun, but have never actively cheered for them, clearly.  Phillies gear/junk is just a part of life at this point though, to some extent, between ballpark giveaways and shit that just accumulates living here for 16+ years. Especially summer stuff, like those soft shitty coolers, canvas bags and that kinda stuff.  My daughter scribbled on the Phillies logo and Phanatic at school and that's now hanging in the window, though obviously wouldn't be if the Yanks got through.

However, Eagles gear, unless a gift for my daughter or purchased by my wife on a Superbowl bandwagon, will not step foot in this house. I'd rather cheer for the ISIS football team than the Eagles.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    And for the record, how many of YOU have been that excited on the Phillies scoreboard in a 3/4 empty stadium?!?!?!
  • Options

Played in an adult league that was the Phillies when I first moved here, so came from that. 

I like when the Phillies are good, Philly is more fun, but have never actively cheered for them, clearly.  Phillies gear/junk is just a part of life at this point though, to some extent, between ballpark giveaways and shit that just accumulates living here for 16+ years. Especially summer stuff, like those soft shitty coolers, canvas bags and that kinda stuff.  My daughter scribbled on the Phillies logo and Phanatic at school and that's now hanging in the window, though obviously wouldn't be if the Yanks got through.

However, Eagles gear, unless a gift for my daughter or purchased by my wife on a Superbowl bandwagon, will not step foot in this house. I'd rather cheer for the ISIS football team than the Eagles.

Haha.  
    I cheer for all Philly teams when they are not playing my favorite teams.  My wife and kid both root for the Philly teams and I agree that it is more fun when the miserable people have teams doing well.
    I laugh at my wife for still wearing the super bowl gear with such pride.  She tells me to get lost and that still will be as proud 20 years from now.  :lol:   
  • Options
    Looking like rain on Monday & Tuesday though damnit.
    We'll have it on the projector out front on Friday and Monday. Saturday we'll be out.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    So this debate is only on phl17...which isn't on youtube tv?

edit--it is also on News Nation if you want to stick with youtube tv......though I just watched 5 minutes of that channel and it appears to be a lighter version of Fox. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not watching that. It's great how the media has turned the narrative into somehow Fetterman is the only one who has to prove something. What with the ableism and all. Also, our votes were in the mail a week ago. 
  • Options
    No go on Tuesday. Wife doesn’t want to do Monday. Saving myself a lot of money. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,290
    Boom - check your email if you registered for WS tix. Now going to every game at home fuck yes.
    Just checked and I did not get a notification of anything...assuming your post means they already let everyone know?
    World Series games are a blast - can't imagine how much fun I will have if the damn Reds ever get back there.  (I'm going, for sure, if they do.)
    Have a blast!

I registered I haven't received anything, so i guess I didn't win :disappointed:
    Actually heard we find out tomorrow if you are eligible to get them.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly