Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    Boom - check your email if you registered for WS tix. Now going to every game at home fuck yes.
    Just checked and I did not get a notification of anything...assuming your post means they already let everyone know?
    World Series games are a blast - can't imagine how much fun I will have if the damn Reds ever get back there.  (I'm going, for sure, if they do.)
    Have a blast!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I mean....wow.....one of the biggest moments in franchise history and the call was worthy of said moment. 

Can you imagine having to have a Tmac call be associated with that? lol
    A moment provided all because of the DH
    You realize that if Aaron Judge was up in that exact same scenario; Down one run, nobody out, man on first, bottom of the 8th in an LCS clinching game.....the 6-4-3 double play would be inevitable. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    Boom - check your email if you registered for WS tix. Now going to every game at home fuck yes.
    Just checked and I did not get a notification of anything...assuming your post means they already let everyone know?
    World Series games are a blast - can't imagine how much fun I will have if the damn Reds ever get back there.  (I'm going, for sure, if they do.)
    Have a blast!
    I would think so? I got an email with a code to buy one game and up to 4 tickets.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,815
    Have a blast!
    I would think so? I got an email with a code to buy one game and up to 4 tickets.
    Cool, thanks.  
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,662
    I mean....wow.....one of the biggest moments in franchise history and the call was worthy of said moment. 

You realize that if Aaron Judge was up in that exact same scenario; Down one run, nobody out, man on first, bottom of the 8th in an LCS clinching game.....the 6-4-3 double play would be inevitable. 
    Come again? What does Aaron judge have to do with anything?

Simply pointing out that a moment many are calling one of the biggest in franchise history was specifically made possible by a rule basically everyone in this thread ridiculed. So I’m gonna need a mea culpa from everyone. Do the right thing. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    No - it's a stupid rule. When the rule was implemented, Phillies went all in on it, which was wise. But it's still dumb. And I'm not apologizing for celebrating Harper's homer for 3 weeks. Also the Phillies probably win another Series or two back in the 70s if Luzinski could've played DH. Still a stupid rule.

I mean, Illegal Contact is a stupid rule too, but I'm happy if the Eagles get a cheap-ass first down on one of those dumb calls.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    So you’d prefer the rule not be in place and this never happen?
  • Options
    So you’d prefer the rule not be in place and this never happen?
    Well we probably don't lose to "World Series MVP" Hideku Matsui in 2009 - what's the point of playing hypotheticals. The rule is the rule, dumb as it is.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Because the rule you ridiculed specifically allowed a certain someone to be available in that moment. It made baseball more fun, clearly, than if a pitcher were to be in the lineup
  • Options
    I mean, it'd be really fun if you could have 9 great fielders and 9 fat guys who could all mash, something like football.

Anyway, you guys won - the DH is everywhere and we're not going back. Stop being a sore winner!

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,789
    edited October 2022

Come again? What does Aaron judge have to do with anything?

Simply pointing out that a moment many are calling one of the biggest in franchise history was specifically made possible by a rule basically everyone in this thread ridiculed. So I’m gonna need a mea culpa from everyone. Do the right thing. 
    I've just been making fun of Judge and the Yankees to my Yankee friends, but Yankee-loving message boarders aren't immune. After Harper hit that HR, I texted a friend (huge Yankees fan) that Judge would've grounded into a double play there. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Enough about the poor and unfortunate New York Yankees. Let's talk about the rich and prosperous Philadelphia Phillies!

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,547
    edited October 2022

Yeah? Would you have preferred me to not be happy that my team utilized a position I detest better than anyone else in the league? lol

I got news for you Cliff, I am not a huge fan of the expanded playoffs either....but I am ecstatic about going to the Word Series. Too bad about your stupid team though. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    In another season everyone's going to be a fan of the goddamn shift ban. The dumbest rule of them all.
  • Options
    The limitation on throws to first is the dumbest one.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Aaron Nola's gonna hate it, that is for sure. 

I am all for cutting down the length of games though and all these changes shortened them by about 25 minutes in the minors this year.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,290
    Have a blast!

I registered I haven't received anything, so i guess I didn't win :disappointed:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Have a blast!

I registered I haven't received anything, so i guess I didn't win :disappointed:
    I think you can register until midnight tonight. My wife and I did but I never even got a confirmation email about registering.

JP---what email are you talking about?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ya know, I think I could live with that one if it wasn't combined with a pitch clock.

Banning the shift is changing the foundation of the sport to me. Absolutely brutal.

All this shit, though, does have me looking forward to getting rid of the NL and AL and realigning based on geography.
  • Options
    I don't mind any of the changes. Not the biggest fan of the shift ban (where as THAT during Ryan Howard's career?) but I'm not against it, but the expanded playoffs, universal DH, pitch clock, limited throws to first....I can live with all that. 

The thing about baseball is I always tend to dislike changes when they're proposed, until I see them in action. As a teenager I remember disliking the idea of interleague play. But once it was installed, I liked seeing the Phillies take on the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox. I've always been anti-DH, often calling for the AL to abolish it, but now I actually like it in both leagues. Not just because Harper has benefited from it, but seeing rallies die due to the pitcher batting, or a pitcher being pulled for a pinch hitter in that situation, wasn't as fun it is now with nine actual hitters in the line-up. Less strategy involved, but given how dumb some of these managers are, that might be for the best. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I don't mind any of the changes. Not the biggest fan of the shift ban (where as THAT during Ryan Howard's career?) but I'm not against it, but the expanded playoffs, universal DH, pitch clock, limited throws to first....I can live with all that. 

The thing about baseball is I always tend to dislike changes when they're proposed, until I see them in action. As a teenager I remember disliking the idea of interleague play. But once it was installed, I liked seeing the Phillies take on the likes of the Yankees and Red Sox. I've always been anti-DH, often calling for the AL to abolish it, but now I actually like it in both leagues. Not just because Harper has benefited from it, but seeing rallies die due to the pitcher batting, or a pitcher being pulled for a pinch hitter in that situation, wasn't as fun it is now with nine actual hitters in the line-up. Less strategy involved, but given how dumb some of these managers are, that might be for the best. 
    YES!  This is all I am asking for.  The Harper/Phillies situation is just a perfect example of why the DH is better. FUN! Sports are supposed to be fun.
  • Options

YES!  This is all I am asking for.  The Harper/Phillies situation is just a perfect example of why the DH is better. FUN! Sports are supposed to be fun.
    Yeah I thought your last post was an attempt to discredit the Phillies or call them lucky (as some Twitter-types have). I didn't realize others here have been so against the universal DH and that you were basically saying, "See, it's not that bad is it?"

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Have a blast!

I think you can register until midnight tonight. My wife and I did but I never even got a confirmation email about registering.

This was last week at some point, I believe, I received an email saying you can register for an opportunity to buy World Series tickets (I think it's one game and up to 4 tickets).

Buddy of mine texted me yesterday morning he picked up another game. When I saw that text I went and checked my Inbox, at which point there was an email saying I had an opportunity buy. Email had a link to buy, along with a code to enter. That's why I posted an FYI in here yesterday if anyone did the same.

Maybe they're doing it in waves? No idea....but alls I know is it's cheaper to go to Houston to go see the Birds and Phils play than catch the games here.
  • Options
    I've been watching the 1980 NLCS to get pumped. (Also I've only seen Game 5 before)

Some stuff I've seen that never happens now
    -A bunch of base runners caught stealing (Pete Rose twice already)
    -The Astros pitcher getting picked off
    -I don't know how many pitchouts
    -A triple to LF (the iconic Manny Trillo triple)
    -Just awesome defense
    -A playoff game broadcast on local TV
    -Sadly Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton didn't pitch against each other.
    -Amazing uniforms (the teams should wear these for one of the games in Houston)
    Bowa 1980 NLCS Game 5 - YouTube

Here's hoping this World Series comes close to matching that series.

• Options
    Okay,

No, I don't like the DH - I think everyone should field and bat. And the crazy management of games with double switches and utilizing pinch hitters, all that, is missed.

But it's here, and it's baseball, I like baseball, and the franchise clearly altered their strategy as soon as the DH was put in, and yeah Bryce Harper would've missed the whole season with Tommy John surgery and it's been amazing to watch his iconic postseason. And it was a major disadvantage for the NL to play World Series games at AL teams that had an expensive DH (John Olerud, Hideku Matsui) while they were using their backup 1B or whatever. The marginally better hitting NL pitchers in the home games, in general, did not seem to offset this advantage.

• Options
    ^I've always wondered about how the local guys were calling that game. Was it also on a national broadcast?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Have a blast!

This was last week at some point, I believe, I received an email saying you can register for an opportunity to buy World Series tickets (I think it's one game and up to 4 tickets).

Buddy of mine texted me yesterday morning he picked up another game. When I saw that text I went and checked my Inbox, at which point there was an email saying I had an opportunity buy. Email had a link to buy, along with a code to enter. That's why I posted an FYI in here yesterday if anyone did the same.

Maybe they're doing it in waves? No idea....but alls I know is it's cheaper to go to Houston to go see the Birds and Phils play than catch the games here.
    Yeah I did register last week based on an email received.  Also went back yesterday using that link and was able to register again, lol, so no idea.
    I'm not a Phils fan so it doesn't bother me, but wife loved it and as much as she roots baseball (not much, she is NFL and NHL) she is a Phillies supporter.  I like to see great events, live, and the World Series for sure fits.

One year in CA I watched ticketmaster throughout the day and got tickets to Anaheim/SF world Series game.  (When Bonds hit the ball through the tunnel out to the concession stands in right)  Angels came back and won and it was a blast.  
    Face value tickets will generally drop, day-of, for sporting events and even concerts
    ..fucked up partially obstructed views or nosebleeds, mostly. But they do drop, if people want to check.
  • Options
    Fine with the DH. But there is literally no difference in the leagues anymore, so I'm looking forward to the idea of the AL and NL going away and moving to an East/West conference setup, or some bullshit name based on dead players or commissioners or something.
  • Options
    With the throwing over to first two times per batter....does that mean the runner gets an auto-steal the next pitch,

Will be interesting to see how these rules play out.
  • Options
    With the throwing over to first two times per batter....does that mean the runner gets an auto-steal the next pitch,

Will be interesting to see how these rules play out.
    I think the idea is to generate more stolen bases. It's pretty artificial. Guess they have to be more strategic with their pickoff throws. Maybe you have the catcher try pickoff throws more often?

^If you google 1980 NCLS Game 5 there's a national broadcast and a Channel 17 broadcast. Some of the other games maybe just national? Other sports: I definitely remember the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals were on Channel 57 and PRISM. Pretty sure there was a national ESPN broadcast but we didn't have cable available in Southwest, and maybe it was blacked out anyway.