PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I’ll take the first four songs on the Gig (I like that), over almost everything since Riot Act. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Bryce Harper has hit 20 solo home runs so far this year.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I’ll take the first four songs on the Gig (I like that), over almost everything since Riot Act. 
    Avocado's a good record though. 

That was a bomb tonight. Crushed it
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Do they ever get anyone on base for him?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I think Gigaton is really good but some people are just gonna pine for the "glory days" - what're you gonna do. Quick Escape should be played very early in sets.

For me Avocado is iconic, life changing, just superb. I can't possibly exaggerate how much I love it. And no I'm not a fan of that Brendan O'Brien remix they did - don't mess with perfection.

And Force of Nature is awesome. Doesn't sound like anything else they've done, although on the surface there's nothing really special about it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Force of Nature is the best song on Backspacer, which is not saying much. The end.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Force of Nature....meh.
    I do enjoy Backspacer, though.  I like it more than I like RA and Bin.  (Oh, god!)  Not more than Avocado, though, that rules.  If you took Parachutes, threw it in the toilet, took a dump on it, and then blew up the toilet, Avocado might be in "Top 5/First 5" range for me.  Because Parachutes is so awful they can never crack that, for me, and still enjoy spot #6, solidly.

Parachutes, Bee Girl, Yellow Moon, Songs 5-12 of The Gig.  Those are my 11 least favorite Pearl Jam songs.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Also...if the new ACDC cover was Pearl Jam and not Tom/Eddie, it would be on that list.  They murdered that song. 
    I think people like Avocado so much because everything after it was pretty underwhelming. And that Riot Act was so different there was a want to return to some straight up rock and/or roll. It's a fine album, but for everything it has going for it to me it seems like the tip/split between their wave of solid albums and being hit-or-miss. I also think it was the last time they had an album where a song was debuted live before coming out (Comatose).
    edited August 2021
    Edit: I should say that the combo of Binaural and Riot Act in order after Yield was so different.
    I also think that Avocado started a very generic rock sound that has lingered on from Avo all the way to today. Probably what I mean most about the tipping point.

Thank god Ole and Of the Earth never ended up on an album.
    I also think that Avocado started a very generic rock sound that has lingered on from Avo all the way to today. Probably what I mean most about the tipping point.

Thank god Ole and Of the Earth never ended up on an album.

You are not a fan of Of the Earth? 
    That B side from Third Man where they start with Of the Earth with Jack White and then roll into Hard to Imagine is chill producing.  I wish to hell they never added Let Me Sleep --- it would have been the best side of wax I own.  As-is, it is 2/3 perfection.  Rock the fuck out for one song and then an amazing rendition of H2I.
    I am not. I don't think a song should meander and change timing for the sake of it. Way too long, nothing special.

I know I'm being pretty hard and shitting on things atm, but haha, oh well. Most of this is my own expectations needing to adjust, and I think they have for the most part. These dudes are fucking old, I'm old, people have kids, worldviews change, etc etc. Just kinda disappointing in some ways just the amount of "mailing it in" that has gone on for more than a decade. Which is what made DOTC so refreshing! But I get it, I'm a weirdo with most of this stuff - I stand by their best songs in the last 20 years being 'Dance' and 'You Are', haha. And Ed's best stuff of the last 20 years was sans PJ, Into The Wild and the Uke album, same for Stone, Jeff, and Matt. All of their solo stuff has been more interesting than the band's.

BURN ME ALIVE.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I am not. I don't think a song should meander and change timing for the sake of it. Way too long, nothing special.

I know I'm being pretty hard and shitting on things atm, but haha, oh well. Most of this is my own expectations needing to adjust, and I think they have for the most part. These dudes are fucking old, I'm old, people have kids, worldviews change, etc etc. Just kinda disappointing in some ways just the amount of "mailing it in" that has gone on for more than a decade. Which is what made DOTC so refreshing! But I get it, I'm a weirdo with most of this stuff - I stand by their best songs in the last 20 years being 'Dance' and 'You Are', haha. And Ed's best stuff of the last 20 years was sans PJ, Into The Wild and the Uke album, same for Stone, Jeff, and Matt. All of their solo stuff has been more interesting than the band's.

BURN ME ALIVE.

Fixer hack your account?

BURN ME ALIVE.

Fixer hack your account?
    ZING. But I enjoy the shows.
    :lol:   
    I get your stance(s) - some I share, some I don't.
    Of the Earth is killer, to me.  Have yet to see that live and will bust half a nut when I do.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

BURN ME ALIVE.

Fixer hack your account?
    ZING. But I enjoy the shows.
    hahah fair enough.  

It's not all bad! Internet user of a website based around said band! Going to see them in a month for two hours while paying more than double the rate! I will fucking rock out to fucking Unthought Known for christsakes.
    Of the Earth - yeah I don't get it either. But trying to not be negative about things these days.

I agree You Are is a really great song. I like Parachutes too.

Uke album? Okay just not gonna say anything about that.

I dig You Are, as well.  Very cool song.
    Of the Earth - yeah I don't get it either. But trying to not be negative about things these days.

I agree You Are is a really great song. I like Parachutes too.

Uke album? Okay just not gonna say anything about that.
    I think I played Eddie's RAC & ATP bootlegs more than any other albums in 2002 into 2003.
    When I first heard Of The Earth, I had high expectations that it was just something they were experimenting with and that would sound quite different after breaking it down into the studio. I was just really happy that it didn't sound anything like fucking Backspacer. And then.....nothing. Lol. 

You Are is quality but....best of the last twenty years? Malarkey!

chinese-happy.jpg
    Fine, I will listen to Riot Act and Avocado today. TWIST MY ARM. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I've come to appreciate Riot Act basically from hearing the songs live. Even Help Help, which I initially hated.

Didn't need that for the great 2006 self titled. Just blast it!

I've come to appreciate Riot Act basically from hearing the songs live. Even Help Help, which I initially hated.

Didn't need that for the great 2006 self titled. Just blast it!
    Yeah I think Help Help is awesome now and wasn't a huge fan at first. I also LOVE the music of Bushleaguer.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RA is a front-to-back'er for me. 

I remember being super stoked to know Can't Keep was on the tracklist and curious to hear how it would go from strictly a uke tune to full band.
    RA can be a snoozer but I like the songs after so many listens, live hears, etc.
    Some ones I love from that record - certainly.
    Bushleager is one of the best songs on RA, to me.  Love it 
    Like when this band played this, I am shocked - SHOCKED I TELL YOU - that to this day I'm still dealing with fans that are like "stick to music 'Merka derrr". Like how did you make it to this point and are still a fan of this band and also be a Trump supporter? I just never got it.

https://youtu.be/yhSd8n5TeRg

People are dumb.  A few decade ago I was young and brash and full of my own shit and would have said 80% of people are dumb.
    Now I am old and considerably less full of my own shit and not really brash - but I would put it at 65%, at least.  
    Pearl Jam fans are no exception.

I hate Ghost. It is easily one of the worst songs they've ever written. 
    Not a huge fan of Get Right and Crop Duster either (stop writing songs Matt).
    Other than those few, the rest of album is mostly SENSATIONAL!

I remember Fox playing Can't Keep at the beginning of some random Eagles game like ten years ago. Game wasn't in Seattle either. Quite a pleasant surprise. 
    chinese-happy.jpg