Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    Pretty sure his wife is immunocompromised but I don't want to speak for others. Also, I would think a return to "normalcy" will be determinate to each individual person. I think a lot of people overlook that spending the better part of over a year in a stasis that none of us are used to, and being in some form of a lockdown, lends itself to trauma. 
    I think there is a lot to this.  I very much agree with this article.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a36381674/vaccines-prevent-transmission-spread/

But I know it will be a lot easier for some over others. My sister has had some mental health issues (nothing crazy, but general feeling of isolation and depression) and is now pregnant so at higher risk and can't be as out and about as she'd like to be even though she's fully vaccinated.  My wife is very much looking forward to things like concerts and all, but also kinda enjoys not being committed to things the way we once were. 
    Absolutely. The wife has been incredibly hesitant to get back into everyday life. The problem for me, to me, has been I think - whether people want to believe it or not - it is most likely going to be the most traumatizing experience - the one "thing" - that defines most people alive now. Much like the Flu of 1918, WW1, WW2, etc. It's also why family has been absolutely the worst to deal with, when it comes to family/friends dynamic. Friends respect your decisions, family much more the opposite - can't respect boundaries, others' expectations, etc. I think I can also go out on a limb and assume a lot of people who are easy/quick to get back to "normal" are also the same people that may have never taken this all too seriously to begin with.

Alls I know is if this virus had "ISIS" tattoed on it and had a physical "bad guy" to blame we wouldn't have all the nonsense going along with it. People would then, magically, take it a lot more seriously.

Congrats to your sister, btw!

I never want to go back to a life of bullshit obligations. The holidays were a DREAM. 

BUT, I'll say, I'm also the first person DYING to go back into the office, haha.
    Yeah, I hear you, though I am pretty excited to get back into things now that I am vaccinated, and while I wasn't the MOST safe person in the country, I certainly did my part to not contribute to the spread.  Hear you on family and all and I defintiely expect boundaries to be a bit different that they were in the past.  I think it will especially define high school through college kids for a while.  A lot of people getting into a virtual workforce is definitely odd.  Hell, I've had people come and go that I never met in person, which is bizarre.  But yeah, I am very excited to get back to the office at least a few days a week for sure.

Thanks, man. We're pumped.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
     I think I can also go out on a limb and assume a lot of people who are easy/quick to get back to "normal" are also the same people that may have never taken this all too seriously to begin with.

Not at all - just confident in the science of vaccinations.
    Broad brush on my part, I know that.

Things I know for sure: 1) I will not die 2) I will not get severely ill 3) transmission rates are incredibly low 4) no reason not to take precaution when being around older people 5) if we don't get enough people vaxed this thing could mutate into something where the vax is ineffective 6) I'm never not wearing a mask in a grocery store/large indoor gathering in winter.
    I'm considering wearing a mask on SEPTA permanently - no use catching a cold from a dirty el car. A concert on the other hand - I can deal with a couple days of sniffles for the good times & memories. Not sure about grocery stores. It sure has been nice to not get sick the past year.
    Yeah, I'm more concerned with the touch on public trans than the air ventilation, though that was before Covid, too. I just hope SEPTA's ridership picks back up, otherwise they're going to face dire times ahead.

But re: touch with Covid - that isn't a big concern to me, transmission by touch is definitely one thing that was overblown. And, yeah, I'm ok with gatherings for the most part - mainly, I'm talking winter/height of flu seasons. I don't mind wearing a mask, they definitely work. I think the US had some ridiculous low record of flu cases - like 1300 or something preposterous? Of course, that's because people weren't intermingling, but still that's crazy crazy low. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I honestly have no problem with the mask guidelines for the foreseeable, especially in private businesses.  It's such a mild inconvenience, that who the hell cares
  • Options
    I guess the bigger question for pearl jam is now whether they do an actual tour or just some of these festivals?

Phish announced a tour yesterday.  I know DMB already has too.
  • Options
    Yeah, I want my Philly show that was supposed to happen. And I want my Baltimore show, too.

That Philly show would've been fucking great in the run up to the election.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,403
    Yeah, I want my Philly show that was supposed to happen. And I want my Baltimore show, too.

That Philly show would've been fucking great in the run up to the election.
    I know I love when they play all the political songs (which is half their catalog anyway - why do any conservatives even like this band?). Still holding onto the Baltimore tixx (don't think they offered a refund anyway) and holding off on other getaway plans for the fall.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    edited May 2021
    I really wish I could've heard  them do 7'oclock while that bastard was still in office. 

Wonder if he's going to alter the lyrics a little now..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I really do not want to buy into Nick Maton, but man the guy keeps proving me wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I really do not want to buy into Nick Maton, but man the guy keeps proving me wrong.
    Wonder if he can play centerfield
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder if he can play centerfield
    Why not. They could literally play no one in CF right now and it'd be an upgrade.
  • Options
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Haha, Frank comes off as a Ridley kinda guy. I wonder if Frank is pissed that Delco Council is becoming more and more progressive/Dem. 

Also, yo, they really gotta unfuck the post office. I sent my mail-in ballot back like 3 weeks ago and it was never received. Luckily I was able to request replacements on Tuesday and they arrived today. Thank god for drop-boxes.

Are you a judge of elections, Johnny? I'm assuming the structure is similar to Philly. 

Wait, I'm sick, I just watched this whole thing. Do you guys have paper ballots? I wish we had paper ballots. We spent a fuck ton on electronic machines. They're pretty cool and impressive, no doubt, but I'm of the mindset that ballots should be casted on paper. Even though it's super ironic and funny that people were bitching about paper ballots and hanging chads and shit 20+ years ago and now it's the complete opposite lol.
  • Options
    Haha, Frank comes off as a Ridley kinda guy. I wonder if Frank is pissed that Delco Council is becoming more and more progressive/Dem. 

Also, yo, they really gotta unfuck the post office. I sent my mail-in ballot back like 3 weeks ago and it was never received. Luckily I was able to request replacements on Tuesday and they arrived today. Thank god for drop-boxes.

Are you a judge of elections, Johnny? I'm assuming the structure is similar to Philly. 

Wait, I'm sick, I just watched this whole thing. Do you guys have paper ballots? I wish we had paper ballots. We spent a fuck ton on electronic machines. They're pretty cool and impressive, no doubt, but I'm of the mindset that ballots should be casted on paper. Even though it's super ironic and funny that people were bitching about paper ballots and hanging chads and shit 20+ years ago and now it's the complete opposite lol.
    Delco Council is 100% Dem now - Frank probably doesn't like it but also doesn't like the other party claiming everything our county did was fraudulent. I scrapped mail-in voting this year - I mean I'll be there all day anyway and they tried to not count my vote last time. But from the stats I heard the other day Dems are still digging mail-in voting.

Looks like I'm an Operator this election - in the fall I was an Inspector. But I am (drumrollllll) - running for Judge of Elections! My son asked "dad if you win what does mommy become?"

The paper ballots don't have chads - you have to color in boxes and if you undervote the machine gives you another chance. Not sure if the paper is made with bamboo...

• Options
    Haha, that shit in Arizona is fucking embarrassing.

Philly's issue with electronic boxes is everything's on a USB stick. And I saw the way they're handled (or at least were handled) and that shit could get fucked up real quick. The security around them was piss poor.

Did not know it was 100% Dem. Awesome.

I'm running for JOE through a write-in campaign because I missed the petition deadline. In a low turnout election I think I can get it. Additionally, I'm helping run a JOE campaign to oust R's as the minority JOE since it doesn't necessarily have to be an R, just as long as it's a non-majority party candidate (Indy/Green/WFP/etc). And that's our targets in a lot of divisions, too, with write-ins - just to get rid of the R's in minority representation.

I love the idea of mail-in/early voting. So beneficial for so many reasons. So glad it's here to stay. It's more the bullshit that gets in the way that can, and is, the problem.

So wait, what? How did they try not to count your vote?
  • Options
    100% capacity for the Yanks series.  Full house of Phillies fans gets to see a Cole perfect game, assuming you'll outnumber Yankees fans this time.
  • Options
    Haha, that shit in Arizona is fucking embarrassing.

Philly's issue with electronic boxes is everything's on a USB stick. And I saw the way they're handled (or at least were handled) and that shit could get fucked up real quick. The security around them was piss poor.

Did not know it was 100% Dem. Awesome.

I'm running for JOE through a write-in campaign because I missed the petition deadline. In a low turnout election I think I can get it. Additionally, I'm helping run a JOE campaign to oust R's as the minority JOE since it doesn't necessarily have to be an R, just as long as it's a non-majority party candidate (Indy/Green/WFP/etc). And that's our targets in a lot of divisions, too, with write-ins - just to get rid of the R's in minority representation.

I love the idea of mail-in/early voting. So beneficial for so many reasons. So glad it's here to stay. It's more the bullshit that gets in the way that can, and is, the problem.

So wait, what? How did they try not to count your vote?
    You just have to get 10 write in votes to get on the general ballot I think - should be easy. I love getting a different party as the minority JOE - that rocks!

You know - Ole Mango Mussolini said he won before any mail in votes got counted, all that crap.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    100% capacity for the Yanks series.  Full house of Phillies fans gets to see a Cole perfect game, assuming you'll outnumber Yankees fans this time.
    This is the Major Leagues in this city, Cliff. I'm sure they will to pinch hit for him at some point. Perhaps they might have to make a....GULP....double switch! OH NO!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    You think Krasner wins JP?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Oh, ha, I thought you were referring to being directly targeted. Like someone was being a douche and fucking up your shit.

I think he does, but who the fuck knows. The conservative bubble of Deep South Philly and the Far NE can be an echo chamber that sounds louder than it actually is - if the argument is Krasner vs. the cops (which I think it is) then the cops lose every time in that battle.

I love this website: https://sixtysixwards.com/home/krasner-v-vega/ and he's got a good rundown on it.

I've struggled to do much of anything this campaign cycle because the last one was such a fucking drag. But I'm heading out this weekend to knock doors for my ward/Krasner.

Also, highly recommend the Philly DA series on PBS, regardless of it being a somewhat pseudo campaign for Krasner. It's still good.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    This is the Major Leagues in this city, Cliff. I'm sure they will to pinch hit for him at some point. Perhaps they might have to make a....GULP....double switch! OH NO!
    Hmmm, exactly what I go to the ballpark to see. A double switch and not a perfect game!

• Options
    Oh, ha, I thought you were referring to being directly targeted. Like someone was being a douche and fucking up your shit.

I think he does, but who the fuck knows. The conservative bubble of Deep South Philly and the Far NE can be an echo chamber that sounds louder than it actually is - if the argument is Krasner vs. the cops (which I think it is) then the cops lose every time in that battle.

I love this website: https://sixtysixwards.com/home/krasner-v-vega/ and he's got a good rundown on it.

I've struggled to do much of anything this campaign cycle because the last one was such a fucking drag. But I'm heading out this weekend to knock doors for my ward/Krasner.

Also, highly recommend the Philly DA series on PBS, regardless of it being a somewhat pseudo campaign for Krasner. It's still good.
    I don't know if I'm fully for Krasner (can't vote anyway) - I know there's a narrative that gun crimes aren't being aggressively prosecuted, which would be a problem for me, but I don't know if that's really true. But the Vega dude seems like a real jerk and the FOP - no comment.

I've dropped off some lit this cycle but nothing this weekend cuz I'm getting my 2nd vax shot. I really wore myself down last fall but the bad guys are still there.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    That's kinda where I stand. If there was a better alternative to Krasner I'd vote for them, but there is not. No way Vega is getting my vote.

The narrative of the gun crime is mostly false for the most part. The DA's office prosecutes legit crimes. The things he said he's no way prosecuting are small amounts possession of weed and sex workers. But the FOP and that human thumb Pizza the Hut McNesby and anyone who defaults to fear in their community (which is totally understandable in humans!) get to push the narrative. We just had the worst economic hit since....ever, plus the most tumultuous election in .....forever, and the biggest societal unrest in....forever. Do people think crime rates would go down in times like these? But fear and perception wins out.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, Krasner as DA is an oxymoron. Someone like him should just not be in the job, but I'll take it over a heavy hand. If you really want to get me started I'll drone on about how the office should be abolished.

Besides that, if this is close - or he loses - he'll only have himself to blame to some extent for not doing enough at taking this election seriously. He's never been good at retail politics, which leaves open the perception that he just stands on his soapbox all day being too proud. Which he really has no one to blame but himself.

And hear you on the bad guys. I also think door knocking is extremely effective, which has been hard to do during Covid. At least for me, I feel uncomfortable doing it to people.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    I dont know much about the race and I am not straight black and white on Krasner and I agree with the general philosophy of not putting people in jail for non-violent crimes, buuuut, this seems awfully friggen unacceptable to me

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philadelphia-gun-arrests-2021-convictions-vufa-20210330.html
  • Options
    Funny you mention this because I saved this tweet for reference:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Also, my conspiracy theory - the Citizen app is working with the Vega campaign. Because I set that shit to only give me notifications for like a 1 mile radius. But I constantly get shit all across the city.
  • Options
    Funny you mention this because I saved this tweet for reference:

I don't see how that supports the argument. If more people are getting arrested for guns, more people should be convicted for guns, not the same amount. If you applied the 2014 conviction percentage to the 2019 arrests, 2019 convictions would be almost double.

I can't in any mindset understand how liberal gun control people (myself included) could ever support these conviction numbers

• Options
    Those numbers are bad without further context. That completely bolsters the argument of "we need to enforce the laws we have." Of course I see in the thread that convictions are basically level. The Inqy seems to have it in for Larry.

Don't know if you guys saw this, some good things have been done by the Delco Council in the 16 months since the D's took control including a total revamping of the public defenders office. https://whyy.org/articles/reinvented-delco-public-defenders-office-wants-to-lead-the-way-on-criminal-justice-reform/

Also, you may have heard we don't have a health department which was really awesome for the worst pandemic in 100 years. It's supposed to open in January 2022.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Ya see, I don't agree that more people arrested for illegal gun possession should necessarily be convicted for guns. So I think right there we have a fundamental difference in the argument so it seems moot. I'm not going to carry Krasner's water. My personal view is probably wayyyyy more left than this conversation needs to hear out loud. It's not a "liberal" thing.

He's saying that total convictions have held constant - so not solely for say possession of an illegal firearm, etc. I can buy that. Convicting someone for just having a gun - as bad as guns are - doesn't get us to a better place. It's all bullshit. It just ends up in higher incarceration rates, which this city is still the highest incarcerated city in the country.
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely a fundamental difference.  If you get caught with an illegal gun, directly to jail, do not pass go.  

Hell New York threw Plaxico friggen Burress in jail for having a registered gun in the wrong state and I am perfectly fine with that.

Less guns=Less violence.  You can't argue for gun control/reform and not agree with that point.
  • Options
    Think I'm with Cliffy here. Every time someone gets shot with an illegally owned gun it's fodder for the gun lobby. "Why bother having any gun laws if these librels aren't gonna enforce 'em?"