Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Latrobe.  Old #33.
    I drank them for a very short while in the mid 90s.
    That is near Pittsburgh, so yes, western.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    Latrobe.  Old #33.
    They moved their production to Newark, NJ, last I heard. It was a big controversy since supposedly the Latrobe water gave it its crisp flavor or something like that.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Latrobe.  Old #33.
    They moved their production to Newark, NJ, last I heard. It was a big controversy since supposedly the Latrobe water gave it its crisp flavor or something like that.
    Wonder if they changed the bottles...interesting!

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    The only beers that should be in this show based on Delco usage should be (in this order): 1) Miller Lite 2) (very close 2nd, btw) tie between Bud Heavy & High Life 3) Lager 4) Coors Light. Those are the choices, sorry I don't make the rules.
  • Options
    The only beers that should be in this show based on Delco usage should be (in this order): 1) Miller Lite 2) (very close 2nd, btw) tie between Bud Heavy & High Life 3) Lager 4) Coors Light. Those are the choices, sorry I don't make the rules.
    If it were set in the 80s you'd go Schmidt's or Meister Brau.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    Rolling Rock's def on that list, guys. Maybe it's after Coors Light but its there somewhere. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Was Old Milwaukee not a thing here, then?  In VT that was the shit the local yocals put back.  Bud Heavy and for less "fancy" folks it was Old Millwater.  Maybe Genny.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Beast/Beast Lite/Beast Ice/Natty/Natty Ice are definitely staples of the Delco Hammers, for sure. But I'm just talking run of the mill corner bar shit. Miller Lite dominates the region, along with a Bud Heavy.

Genny would be in a beer ball.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Yeeep...was about to say Beast, Beast Ice and when we got fancy was Rolling Rock.  Then when we got older Labatt's, Molson and Heineken

Lot's of Molson and Miller Lite in the bars.
  • Options
    Beer ball - ha!  Haven't thought about those in a bit.
  • Options
    On another note, this city's restaurant scene is so f'ed. Drove down Bainbridge the other day and literally every restaurant was boarded up.  Now, Sabrina's in the Italian Market is closing...wtf.
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely sucks, but in a twisted way I look forward to whatever comes out of it. The biggest shame of it is a lot of places will turn residential and the only people who will survive are the Starr's and Vetri's, whom I could give two shits about.

The short-term is definitely gonna hurt for a bit.
  • Options

Was Old Milwaukee not a thing here, then?  In VT that was the shit the local yocals put back.  Bud Heavy and for less "fancy" folks it was Old Millwater.  Maybe Genny.
    Yeah Old Milwaukee sometimes but I think that was too expensive for my family thus the Meister Brau. Just about the worst tasting liquid you can imagine.

On another note, this city's restaurant scene is so f'ed. Drove down Bainbridge the other day and literally every restaurant was boarded up.  Now, Sabrina's in the Italian Market is closing...wtf.
    God damn it that sucks. Although not sure why people talk shit on Vetri. Starr, yes I can see that.

• Options
    Vetri has really come into his own douchebaggery with Covid. Regardless, that wasn't my point for this though. Point being is the big guys with a ton of capital and assets and Urban money will weather this much better than that chef with a BYO.
  • Options
    Vetri has really come into his own douchebaggery with Covid. Regardless, that wasn't my point for this though. Point being is the big guys with a ton of capital and assets and Urban money will weather this much better than that chef with a BYO.
    Which is why I don’t really agree with your first statement. I liked the Philly food scene as it was and sure, I’m sure some cool shit will pop up but we had cool shit and it’s gonna take a while and I don’t go out nearly as much as I used to 

• Options
    Which is why I don’t really agree with your first statement. I liked the Philly food scene as it was and sure, I’m sure some cool shit will pop up but we had cool shit and it’s gonna take a while and I don’t go out nearly as much as I used to 

There's no way it doesn't come back.
  • Options
    Yeah Vetri has had some questionable moments. I can see their frustration especially with some of the rules being changed seemingly at random.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Scary. 97 mph fastball to the face. Talk about taking it like a man.

https://youtu.be/_5gcBRhoMt0
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Holy shit.  It looks like it hits him in the beak only because he turned his head but damn, that has to hurt in a really bad way and I think it is safe to say that Bryce could take a punch.  Holy crap. 

That is so fucking dumb to warn both teams there.  This dude should have been immediately pulled from the game and if he needed another batter to be able to be pulled they should have intentionally walked a guy.  He clearly could not control his pitches and he throws way too hard to be out there with that kind of control. 
  • Options
    Girardi couldn't be more right. I'm shocked he came away from that relatively unscathed.
  • Options
    Girardi couldn't be more right. I'm shocked he came away from that relatively unscathed.
    Absolute garbage job by the umpire.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    In high school, I got hit by a kid throwing upper 80’s in the chest (I squared to bunt and he threw it right at me and a just froze). Fucking killed. Had a welt for literally 6 months. My dad has it on video and the thud sound is really audible. Anyway, I can’t imagine a 97 mph fast ball hitting me the fucking face and then being fine just hours later. Lol. Is Bryce’s face made out of steel? 

The 3 batter rule is stupid...just like all the other new rules. 

Maybe this wakes this team up. After Nola’s out today, somebody needs to get plunked
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    In high school, I got hit by a kid throwing upper 80’s in the chest (I squared to bunt and he threw it right at me and a just froze). Fucking killed. Had a welt for literally 6 months. My dad has it on video and the thud sound is really audible. Anyway, I can’t imagine a 97 mph fast ball hitting me the fucking face and then being fine just hours later. Lol. Is Bryce’s face made out of steel? 

The 3 batter rule is stupid...just like all the other new rules. 

Maybe this wakes this team up. After Nola’s out today, somebody needs to get plunked

We had 3 dudes on our staff in high school that could throw at varying levels of 80s.  None of them had reliable control.  Got hit in practice a number of times....at 17 or 18 I was so concerned in trying to look the part that I would do my best to walk it off but even at 85 it was absolutely like getting punched.  Now, make it 10+ mph faster and in your face?  That dude is one tough bastard. 
  • Options
    Yeah, that's no joke. I'd never get back up.

Read The Athletic article on it. Girardi has always been real defensive about it, though it's kinda rich given the Yankees were never one to not pop someone from time to time. Outside of the Arod/Dempseter one, I remember him getting kicked out in Baltimore when like 3 guys got hit, not intentionally, but his point was similar to this that you shouldn't be in the game or the big leagues if you can't control where the ball is going and you put people at risk
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I never took a pitch to the head. But one time in high school I was trying to beat out a grounder to shortstop and the shortstop's throw to first was wide and hit me right in the jaw. Fucking killed. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Baseball injury stories! Sweet!

Here's a dummy move by me - 8th grade, laying down a drag bunt. I'm too impatient to make sure I'm doing it correctly and am already halfway out of the box, that I roll the bat in my hand to the point where I have it fully wrapped in my hand. I take a fastball to my ring finger. End of my finger is split open and can see bone. It was gross. Boy did I wail like a little pansy.

Buddy of mine in 9th grade - we're playing and he's pitching against like the biggest dude in the league. Fastball line drive right back up the middle and right into his mouth. He lost all the teeth in the front up top. Crazy to witness.

Lastly, my dad's super Delco bar softball team (I wanna say '95-ish) - he's pitching. This being softball with older men, for some reason they don't toss it right from the rubber, so he's closer than usual. Guy belts the ball right back at him, no time to react. I see my dad come home lay down on the couch and not move for two days. His entire orbital bone area was cracked. Luckily he's currently not blind. l also wouldn't be surprised if these dudes were half in the bag at game time.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options

Here's a dummy move by me - 8th grade, laying down a drag bunt. I'm too impatient to make sure I'm doing it correctly and am already halfway out of the box, that I roll the bat in my hand to the point where I have it fully wrapped in my hand. I take a fastball to my ring finger. End of my finger is split open and can see bone. It was gross. Boy did I wail like a little pansy.

Buddy of mine in 9th grade - we're playing and he's pitching against like the biggest dude in the league. Fastball line drive right back up the middle and right into his mouth. He lost all the teeth in the front up top. Crazy to witness.

Lastly, my dad's super Delco bar softball team (I wanna say '95-ish) - he's pitching. This being softball with older men, for some reason they don't toss it right from the rubber, so he's closer than usual. Guy belts the ball right back at him, no time to react. I see my dad come home lay down on the couch and not move for two days. His entire orbital bone area was cracked. Luckily he's currently not blind. l also wouldn't be surprised if these dudes were half in the bag at game time.

Oh man, a broken Orbit is no joke!
  • Options
    On another note, New York going 100% capacity July 1.  That Asbury Park festival is definitely going to happen.  I think there will be Pearl Jam shows this year.
  • Options
    Well the lady I got the AirBnB from has not responded to my doomsday message asking for my money back. So, for this reason alone I hope it does!
  • Options

I think my story is even dumber - 13 years old, I got under a fly ball in left field, put my glove up, but totally missed the ball which bounced off my head, almost to the centerfielder. Fractured skull/concussion/3 nights in the hospital. Missed my 8th grade graduation.

I pitch for softball sometimes - moderate high arc. It's a helpless feeling when these guys whack a ball right at you with double-walled aluminum bats. I take like 3 steps back every pitch.