Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Dude, F me...had one of the worst service experiences I have ever had at Zama last night. Ended up getting a $90 bottle of sake comped so they tried to make it right but it was brrrrrutally slow 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    It was a great week indeed. At the time I had a job that what it lacked in pay made it up with 46 PTO days. I took that whole goddamn week off and lived in Pearl Jam Philly heaven, which if there was an actual Heaven that'd be it. Sold my Night Two seats because there was no way I was missing watching Game 1 of the World Series.

Frankly, I just need PJ to do a Philly tour - start small and build up: first, Boot & Saddle, then Johnny Brenda's, then Union Transfer, Filmore, Met, Tower, Academy of Music, Mann, Camden (yes, it's being included), WFC, Citizens Bank, Linc. 
    The Tower?  Could be on the VIP porch rocking the fuck out to Pearl Jam?  TOTD was nearly heaven, would cut off a finger to experience that. 
    I also remember War on Drugs did this 2 years ago? First night they played Johnny Brenda's. Next night was Union Transfer. And the next and final night was the Tower Theater
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Dude, F me...had one of the worst service experiences I have ever had at Zama last night. Ended up getting a $90 bottle of sake comped so they tried to make it right but it was brrrrrutally slow 
    Crazy.  Sorry to hear that.  You were at the bar?
    Out of all of the times I have been there I only sat in seats away from bar two times.  Not the same experience....we go bar or go home.

What bottle did they give you?

Participated in the Run The Bridge 10k this morning.  A pretty awesome way to get from Jersey to Philly (and back)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Crazy.  Sorry to hear that.  You were at the bar?
    Out of all of the times I have been there I only sat in seats away from bar two times.  Not the same experience....we go bar or go home.

What bottle did they give you?

Participated in the Run The Bridge 10k this morning.  A pretty awesome way to get from Jersey to Philly (and back)

We were not at the bar. Was full when we got there. After talking it over today, it was ever worse than we had thought. I don’t remember the name of the bottle. I’m not good remembering names of sake, especially after drinks. I am sure I’ll probably be back but it was very disappointing and definitely put a damper on the night. Also the manager is a douche. Was nice and accommodating but just a tool
  • Options
    You know you’re getting old when you get excited to run into a writer you like. Ran into Matt gelb at federal donuts this morning. 

Also, the fed nuts breakfast sandwich is banging 
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    You know you’re getting old when you get excited to run into a writer you like. Ran into Matt gelb at federal donuts this morning. 

Also, the fed nuts breakfast sandwich is banging 
    Haha, I can appreciate this. I ran into him at Ultimo before and just had to say something. Also, Mike Newall lives in the neighborhood and his stories are awesome. Again, couldn't help myself.
  • Options
    The dibrunos after hours thing is awesome. You rent out 9th st and can can eat/try anything in the store. They put out trays of the things they like too, typically with a geographic theme. It’s byob. It’s fucking awesome and I will be doing it again for sure. I ate soooooo much and tried stuff that I typically don’t buy. 

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    The dibrunos after hours thing is awesome. You rent out 9th st and can can eat/try anything in the store. They put out trays of the things they like too, typically with a geographic theme. It’s byob. It’s fucking awesome and I will be doing it again for sure. I ate soooooo much and tried stuff that I typically don’t buy. 

My brother did this recently
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    How much does that cost to rent?
    What a cool offering.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    We’ve been wanting to do it for years but only ever think about it around the holidays when it’s completely booked. Had a friend plan it for a birthday but definitely going to do it again in early spring. It is awesome.

It’s $70 a person and I believe you need at least 8 people. Not sure if you actually get $70 worth of food if you were to just shop there but it’s a sweet time and I was stuffed

Also, came to like a sales guy/monger there who I have historically disliked so that was cool 

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    That is great!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    how the hell did nutjob Kapler get another managing job?  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    how the hell did tanned nuts nutjob Kapler get another managing job?  
    Fixed
    And, great question.  This guy is a clown.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    pjhawks said:
    Bumbling organizations do questionable things.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    I'm that guy.  Have been talking about going to Angelo's for 6 months.  I get home from a client today and one of my wife's friends pops by to drop off hand me downs for the daughter and says she has to go by this place called Angelos.  Her mom saw the Barstool review and told her to pick it up.  I tagged along.  It was mobbed.  About to dive in.
  • Options
    Upside down jawn!
  • Options
    Verdict: would get again. Not quite worth the hype. Really wish the crust was a liiiiitle thinner 
  • Options
    Bah, humbug!
    Glad you got to try, I love that fucking pie.
  • Options
    Did you eat there or take home?
    I took home one time and was disappointed.  For some things it needs to be eaten right away.  That was the case for me, there.
  • Options
    I did not get the upside down jawn. A plain and a pepperoni and long hots. The one with toppings was much better. 

Took it home and it sat for a half hour or so so that definitely had to do with it. No where to sit there. Like a 10 by 10 waiting area that was mobbed. I do think it would be much better not out of the oven 
  • Options
    I did not get the upside down jawn. A plain and a pepperoni and long hots. The one with toppings was much better. 

Took it home and it sat for a half hour or so so that definitely had to do with it. No where to sit there. Like a 10 by 10 waiting area that was mobbed. I do think it would be much better not out of the oven 
    Oh.  Not getting the star of the show makes sense to me now.  I did order the pepper one with long hots (forget the name of it) one time and thought it was really good.
    Never ordered plain.
    The place in Haddonfield was small as fuck as well but much of the business was takeout so as long as we didn't go on a Thurs/Fri/Sat during dinner we were fine w/o a wait.
    Glad to hear they are cranking, the folks who ran it seemed to be really good people.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    the fuck is a long hot?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Wobbie said:
    the fuck is a long hot?

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    the fuck is a long hot?
    A pepper.
    It is long.
    It is green.
    While named 'hot' one of the things about the Long Hot is that it is not always hot.  I would say 1 out of 5 is hot, and generally not all that hot.  The fun is that you get used to the good taste w/o any heat and then one bites back, a bit.
    People who do not like heat likely find them quite hot.

That Ron Jeremy gif is freaking me out.
  • Options
    Some of them can pack a bit of a punch.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Poncier said:
    pjhawks said:
    Bumbling organizations do questionable things.

hey! :nuh_uh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Bill Lyon was a genius. I always looked forward to what he would put in his columns. Always captured the perfect mood for whatever topic he was discussing. Rest In Peace 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    Bill Lyon was a genius. I always looked forward to what he would put in his columns. Always captured the perfect mood for whatever topic he was discussing. Rest In Peace 
    agree. he was a great writer.  his 'prose' was great. his articles always seemed so well thought out and written. RIP
  • Options
    Watched Creed 2 this weekend.  Thought it was better than the first.  Much less of a Philly vibe than the first but two Philly points.

1. They showed a strip mall that was supposed to be in LA, but was very very clearly Aramingo Ave, with palm trees either propped in or CGI'd in.

2.  They showed the Rocky statue, which put my head into a pretzel.  So they showed a real statue of a fictional person in a fictional movie but pretending to be real
  • Options
    Watched Creed 2 this weekend.  Thought it was better than the first.  Much less of a Philly vibe than the first but two Philly points.

1. They showed a strip mall that was supposed to be in LA, but was very very clearly Aramingo Ave, with palm trees either propped in or CGI'd in.

2.  They showed the Rocky statue, which put my head into a pretzel.  So they showed a real statue of a fictional person in a fictional movie but pretending to be real
    The statue was unveiled in Rocky III. It was in the movie...the scene where Mr T disrespects Adrian

Unless I'm not understanding your point?
    chinese-happy.jpg