Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    pjhawks said:

even though i think Murphy is a giant Dbag that was one great article. he really nailed it. As i was reading it and seeing him mention how Chooch always seemed to be there it made me realize I can barely remember who their other catchers were during that run. I know Coste was here around 2007 but 1st thought i can't remember the others. Also saw where Halladay had a great tweet about Chooch. called him one of his favorite teammates and best catcher he ever had.

Yeah, it's good stuff.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,485

Wasn't there some Crash Davis type old head too?

I think you're thinking of Coste maybe.

On an unrelated topic, my tomatoes this year are insanely delicious. My god they are so juicy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

On an unrelated topic, my tomatoes this year are insanely delicious. My god they are so juicy.
    Yeah, I think you're right.

Mine suck haha. This heat has been brutal on them.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Opinion: Vice Principals might be better than Eastbound and Down.

Also, anyone read this, or am I tge last one to read it? http://www.avclub.com/article/trampled-moss-and-sitars-pearl-jams-tricky-transfo-240770
  • Options

Opinion: Vice Principals might be better than Eastbound and Down.

Also, anyone read this, or am I tge last one to read it? http://www.avclub.com/article/trampled-moss-and-sitars-pearl-jams-tricky-transfo-240770

First time seeing that. Good stuff
  • Options
    great article. love that album. bring back jack.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited August 2016

gotta move to jersey to grow tomatoes. just like you PA ass holes who cannot fucking drive. keep right, pass left. Ain't hard.

driving in PA is almost as bad as buying booze in PA. The NE extension, 76, 78, 80, 81, 222. All two lanes highways clogged by people with no concept of a fast lane. Yes dummy, your Saturn with 59 dents goes more than 60 mph -- get the fuck over so I can be on my way.

I cross the bridge and it's the equivalent of this driving eutopia where people know what they're doing. Sans the jack asses in the LH lane with the PA plates. Up and down the east coast -- NY, NJ, PA, MA, DE, MD, VA, NC, even SC this summer --- the PA plates (much like steeler fans -- who don't want to live in shittsburgh) are everywhere....and they fucking suck at life. Pennsylvania is such a depressing state -- I really hate it
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited August 2016

Shit - I didn't even realize the Phils would be playing in Chicago right after these shows; vacation plans would've been completely different.

dude, wilco was in chicago sunday night. I fucked up the timing too.

Here's my fan summary...

Boston is the fucking worst. I had fun with cliff and his crew (as always), but that city isn't fun. It reminds me of being in high school since the curfews are so early. Bars literally shut down at midnight -- you have to search shit out that's open after that. We hit the Sunday PJ show -- weather couldn't have been better, but the show was probably my least favorite PJ show I've been to. I had ten club tix -- second row on mccready's side -- my ideal seats since I prefer seats to the floor (for beer and bathroom purposes). I was with my buddy and we were excited to be in the aisle -- that lasted about a song or two since there were zero ushers in site. constant stream of douchebags rushing down the aisle and clogging the nonexsistant space between sections (if you've been to fenway you know what I mean). So the show was not enjoyable from a seating/annoyance perspective. On top of that -- I guess Friday at Fenway was wild -- that setlist was money. There must have been a bunch of fights on Friday -- Vedder is now a policeman throwing people out of shows in chicago and boston -- so Vedder didn't want any bad behavior at our Fenway show on Sunday night. After the opener (pendulum -- snooze), he gave us a lecture about not drinking too much and behaving. It was the worst thing I have ever seen at a concert -- like being scolded by my mother before I ever did anything wrong. Then they played a bunch of slow lame shit -- In Hiding and Not for You were highlights, the rest was weak. then the venue 'ran out of beer' at most of the beer stands. Boston put on the worst concert experience I've had -- then PJ put out a turd of a set -- then after the show every bar in the vicinity was closed. Not good times.

We also tried to go to go see George Thorogood on Saturday night (he was playing a theater directly across from the Doubletree we stayed at) and they didn't let us in because the show had 'started already', even though we were willing to pay the full admission price. Boston sucks.

Chicago was the opposite. Vibrant city. Live crowd. Indifference71 and his crew are always awesome. Bars actually open past midnight. Vedder didn't lecture us or premeditate the supply of booze. Then the set was pretty good. And wrigley destroys shitty ass fenway

Bottom line -- Pearl Jam has slipped. At this point you're there for the event of seeing pearl jam, not the music. Gotta take it for what it's worth I guess -- and Vedder will be sure to tell you what that is depending on how much you drink (such a democrat -- I do not do well with being told what to do). I think there are a lot of bands that are putting on better shows these days. Pearl Jam is a fun social event, but if you're there for the music, you're gonna be disappointed. Unless you like crap songs like sirens, just breathe, etc.

chicago - awesome
    boston - blows
    pearl jam - ok
    Lectures from Vedder about drinking too much -- worst thing ever after PA drivers and buying booze in PA
    other bands - good.
    ryan howard - disgrace he's still on team. what a fat loser. insulting to the 2008 team that he's the last guy standing -- insulting to fans as well
    phillies - rebuild sucks. not trading hellickson was the dumbest thing since howards contract
    dodgers - utley/chooch - hope they win it all (unless hamels does -- having a great year. should have gotten a top 10 prospect for him, but no)
    sixers - bought tix to opening night. love the marshall trade. that guy sucked in college. never understood the hype
    flyers - start the season already
    trump - awesome
    hillary - criminal and the biggest liar of all time. one of the worst human beings to ever walk the earth. about to steal more of the fixers money than barry already does. why does anyone vote for liberals and higher taxes??? who likes paying taxes?????? if trump wins the fixer pays 20k less in taxes than if killary wins. the fixer is fucked. god I hate her
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The Fixer said:

gotta move to jersey to grow tomatoes. just like you PA ass holes who cannot fucking drive. keep right, pass left. Ain't hard.

driving in PA is almost as bad as buying booze in PA. The NE extension, 76, 78, 80, 81, 222. All two lanes highways clogged by people with no concept of a fast lane. Yes dummy, your Saturn with 59 dents goes more than 60 mph -- get the fuck over so I can be on my way.

I cross the bridge and it's the equivalent of this driving eutopia where people know what they're doing. Sans the jack asses in the LH lane with the PA plates. Up and down the east coast -- NY, NJ, PA, MA, DE, MD, VA, NC, even SC this summer --- the PA plates (much like steeler fans -- who don't want to live in shittsburgh) are everywhere....and they fucking suck at life. Pennsylvania is such a depressing state -- I really hate it

...umm....okay (?)

Also, no offense, but if you think Trump is "awesome," I'm inclined to devalue your opinion on literally everything.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,296
    The Fixer said:

Shit - I didn't even realize the Phils would be playing in Chicago right after these shows; vacation plans would've been completely different.

dude, wilco was in chicago sunday night. I fucked up the timing too.

Here's my fan summary...

Boston is the fucking worst. I had fun with cliff and his crew (as always), but that city isn't fun. It reminds me of being in high school since the curfews are so early. Bars literally shut down at midnight -- you have to search shit out that's open after that. We hit the Sunday PJ show -- weather couldn't have been better, but the show was probably my least favorite PJ show I've been to. I had ten club tix -- second row on mccready's side -- my ideal seats since I prefer seats to the floor (for beer and bathroom purposes). I was with my buddy and we were excited to be in the aisle -- that lasted about a song or two since there were zero ushers in site. constant stream of douchebags rushing down the aisle and clogging the nonexsistant space between sections (if you've been to fenway you know what I mean). So the show was not enjoyable from a seating/annoyance perspective. On top of that -- I guess Friday at Fenway was wild -- that setlist was money. There must have been a bunch of fights on Friday -- Vedder is now a policeman throwing people out of shows in chicago and boston -- so Vedder didn't want any bad behavior at our Fenway show on Sunday night. After the opener (pendulum -- snooze), he gave us a lecture about not drinking too much and behaving. It was the worst thing I have ever seen at a concert -- like being scolded by my mother before I ever did anything wrong. Then they played a bunch of slow lame shit -- In Hiding and Not for You were highlights, the rest was weak. then the venue 'ran out of beer' at most of the beer stands. Boston put on the worst concert experience I've had -- then PJ put out a turd of a set -- then after the show every bar in the vicinity was closed. Not good times.

We also tried to go to go see George Thorogood on Saturday night (he was playing a theater directly across from the Doubletree we stayed at) and they didn't let us in because the show had 'started already', even though we were willing to pay the full admission price. Boston sucks.

Chicago was the opposite. Vibrant city. Live crowd. Indifference71 and his crew are always awesome. Bars actually open past midnight. Vedder didn't lecture us or premeditate the supply of booze. Then the set was pretty good. And wrigley destroys shitty ass fenway

Bottom line -- Pearl Jam has slipped. At this point you're there for the event of seeing pearl jam, not the music. Gotta take it for what it's worth I guess -- and Vedder will be sure to tell you what that is depending on how much you drink (such a democrat -- I do not do well with being told what to do). I think there are a lot of bands that are putting on better shows these days. Pearl Jam is a fun social event, but if you're there for the music, you're gonna be disappointed. Unless you like crap songs like sirens, just breathe, etc.

chicago - awesome
    boston - blows
    pearl jam - ok
    Lectures from Vedder about drinking too much -- worst thing ever after PA drivers and buying booze in PA
    other bands - good.
    ryan howard - disgrace he's still on team. what a fat loser. insulting to the 2008 team that he's the last guy standing -- insulting to fans as well
    phillies - rebuild sucks. not trading hellickson was the dumbest thing since howards contract
    dodgers - utley/chooch - hope they win it all (unless hamels does -- having a great year. should have gotten a top 10 prospect for him, but no)
    sixers - bought tix to opening night. love the marshall trade. that guy sucked in college. never understood the hype
    flyers - start the season already
    trump - awesome
    hillary - criminal and the biggest liar of all time. one of the worst human beings to ever walk the earth. about to steal more of the fixers money than barry already does. why does anyone vote for liberals and higher taxes??? who likes paying taxes?????? if trump wins the fixer pays 20k less in taxes than if killary wins. the fixer is fucked. god I hate her
    shocking you sound miserable once again. ah well at least Mr. Vedder still is making money off ya.
  • Options

What episode is that? I just checked the podcast list and don't see Buck there.

Two separate things. That wasn't clear. JP referenced the Obama and Buck articles. Keepin in 1600 is with the Obama speech writer who is one of the hosts on that podcast. It's really good, but Buck was not on it.
    Yeah I heard that Obama speech writer on Simmons' podcast a while back and thought it was interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.
    Yeah that was a pretty good one. You listen to the Michael rappaport one? Insane
    Yeah that was good. I listen to most of his podcasts unless it's one about television shows.
    Rappaport back on The Ringer. Good stuff. Dude is a mad man.
  • Options
    .286/.340/.612 for Howard over last 2+ months. I wonder if a team will take a shot on on him today. Nothing to lose, really...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

.286/.340/.612 for Howard over last 2+ months. I wonder if a team will take a shot on on him today. Nothing to lose, really...

Yankees should. With 40 man rosters he can literally be the last guy on the bench and could come up with a big home run or two down the stretch.

Cannot believe I am saying this...
  • Options

10th year with 20+ home runs. if someone gives him a shot next year he is looking at 400 for his career. that's impressive.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

10th year with 20+ home runs. if someone gives him a shot next year he is looking at 400 for his career. that's impressive.
    So not quite the 500-600 and Ted Williams like career you predicted? I kid....kind of...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    For the record I live in Jersey and the drivers here suck. Cannot believe MA was put on the list as drivers that are good...Masshole drivers are possibly the worst in the USA, and I have driven in 44 states.

Bringing the nephew to the Phillies game tonight, a few rows behind the Nats bench so he can cheer on his favorite player, Mr Bryce Harper.

I will be cheering for the Phils. Getting to be a habit...I didn't like rooting for them when I first moved here and they were still good/selling out the place. Now that they are fighting back from being awful & the place is half empty I like rooting them on.

Hope they hit Gio around tonight. Howard homered in the last 2 games we went to. Would like to see it again.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

pjhawks said:

So not quite the 500-600 and Ted Williams like career you predicted? I kid....kind of...
    Well Ryan was the fastest ever to 100 home runs, 200 home runs, and 1000 RBIs so he did beat Ted and everyone else up to that point in those departments (and in fact that is all i ever said about Ted Williams) so well yea... :smiley:

and his career isn't over yet so who knows how many home runs he ends up with. if he gets to 400 i think it gets him into the Hall of Fame discussion.
  • Options

For the record I live in Jersey and the drivers here suck. Cannot believe MA was put on the list as drivers that are good...Masshole drivers are possibly the worst in the USA, and I have driven in 44 states.

Bringing the nephew to the Phillies game tonight, a few rows behind the Nats bench so he can cheer on his favorite player, Mr Bryce Harper.

I will be cheering for the Phils. Getting to be a habit...I didn't like rooting for them when I first moved here and they were still good/selling out the place. Now that they are fighting back from being awful & the place is half empty I like rooting them on.

Hope they hit Gio around tonight. Howard homered in the last 2 games we went to. Would like to see it again.

I want the Phillies to be good, but not that good, haha. This city is so much more fun when they're good, but insufferable when they win it all.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,669
    The Fixer said:

dumbest thing I've ever heard...I get that you like those guys but they're fucking d**gers now.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802

I want the Phillies to be good, but not that good, haha. This city is so much more fun when they're good, but insufferable when they win it all.
    Can only imagine what that was like!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Can only imagine what that was like!
    a glorious 5 years or so. so many fun times for sure.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,259
    Wonder how many people showed up the The Philadelphia Soul championship parade?

http://6abc.com/sports/city-celebrates-philadelphia-soul-championship/1492782/
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Trump makes campaign stop here...essentially tells us how much our city sucks (despite sending his daughter here for college)...then asks for our vote --

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/presidential/20160903_Trump___Sad_to_see_what_s_going_on_inside_Philadelphia_.html?mobi=true
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,259
    anyone else go to the Bruce Springsteen show last night? I wasn't planning on it but a friend had an extra ticket and asked if i wanted to go. We were in section 215 (Hall of Fame Club). good seats. He put on one hell of a show. Never seen him before but he pretty much played non-stop (1 or 2 small breaks) for just over 4 hours. Unfortunately i'm not too familiar with his work and knew only a handful of songs.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

anyone else go to the Bruce Springsteen show last night? I wasn't planning on it but a friend had an extra ticket and asked if i wanted to go. We were in section 215 (Hall of Fame Club). good seats. He put on one hell of a show. Never seen him before but he pretty much played non-stop (1 or 2 small breaks) for just over 4 hours. Unfortunately i'm not too familiar with his work and knew only a handful of songs.

Nice you got the see the longest Springsteen show in the US ever. I didn't go and had been debating back and forth about going to one of the two shows this week. Seen him twice before, once at the Spectrum which was the best Non-PJ show i've ever seen. Once at the Linc when it first opened and pretty much sucked but that was mostly the venue. the guy is amazing and a legend. in his 60s and doing 4 hour shows. crazy.
  • Options
    Remember when utley went aboalutely ape shit in the World Series? Did they end up winning that series? Must have, right?

Utley in Yankee stadium brings back some memories
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Remember when utley went aboalutely ape shit in the World Series? Did they end up winning that series? Must have, right?

Go fuck yourself, Cliff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    The first piece of the next decent team is up. Been waiting for Quinn to get up here...now if he can only stay healthy.
  • Options

Go fuck yourself, Cliff.
    Good times