Options

Irish Show!!! 8th Of July - Trust Me On This

bhrionbhrion Posts: 49
edited February 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
In about 10 days Pearl Jam will be confirmed as the headline act at Oxegen in Ireland - trust me on this - heard it from a very very very well placed MCD person... apparently there are about 10 more shows to be announced on this tour by the way... this is an ad hoc european festival tour and London will also not be the only UK show....
The hold up in Ireland is that the band want to play Slane and the promoters can't do the gig until late August because of silly planning laws... hence, the Oxegen festival is the only alternative...
Zagreb 2006 (was better by then!)
Berlin 2006 (Barely!, was ill!)
Dublin 2006
Astoria, London 2006
Toronto 2005
Dublin 2000
Wembley, London 2000
Roksilde, Denmark 2000
Berlin 2000
Dublin 1996
Cork 1996
Slane 1993
Newcastle 1992
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    if this is true,.......yay for ireland, but man, i'd have far preferred they announce ALL european shows at once. better decision-making process then. b/c if they add a bunch of UK dates closer together.....so easier travel....not miss my anniversary.......i will be rather annoyed since obviously, i wouldn't have bought the tix i did. however, we shall all wait and see i guess!

right now, i AM psyched i am seeing them 2x in europe once more!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    trust me on this man... from the very top of MCD... the whole problem was dates, they can't use Croke Park because of the GAA games, Lansdowne is closed, Slane can't get planning until August... they really really want to play ireland... trust me... so reluctantly they have agreed to do Oxegen... as for the UK I believe Scotland will get a show but that is it... I meant more European shows in the East of the continent of what I have heard.. been told Croatia and Hungary are on the list and that is why they are going to fly back to western europe for a one off show in ireland and then back east...
    Dublin 2006
    Astoria, London 2006
    Toronto 2005
    Dublin 2000
    Wembley, London 2000
    Roksilde, Denmark 2000
    Berlin 2000
    Dublin 1996
    Cork 1996
    Slane 1993
    Newcastle 1992
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    bhrion wrote:
    trust me on this man... from the very top of MCD... the whole problem was dates, they can't use Croke Park because of the GAA games, Lansdowne is closed, Slane can't get planning until August... they really really want to play ireland... trust me... so reluctantly they have agreed to do Oxegen... as for the UK I believe Scotland will get a show but that is it... I meant more European shows in the East of the continent of what I have heard.. been told Croatia and Hungary are on the list and that is why they are going to fly back to western europe for a one off show in ireland and then back east...
    seems strange...if they do Oxygen on the 8th...that's over a week after Werchter..they'd do the shows east BEFORE that..not hang around doing nothing for a week (I'm sure they wouldn't mind but you have to keep on paying the crew and material during that time.)

T in the Park is normally twinned with Oxygen isn't it? that's in Scotland (I think..wanted to go this year anyway) but the Scots have been told to buy London.

Plus the Polish promoter said it's the only gig in central Europe (thus ruling out Hungary and probably Croatia).

As much as I'd love more dates (my bank manager doesn't), it would be very crass of them to announce them now because many people are travelling that wouldn't have otherwise :(
  • Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    Great news for you irish(if it´s true)

But i if they would do more shows i would think it´s little lame if sweden, iceland, russia, finland, hungary(espacially when last time was cancelled) don´t get any shows.

I´m in a good position of have the opportunity to travel to alot of shows but alot of people hasn´t so I could imagine thoose people frustation.

Anyway big love to Pearl jam for choosing europe again
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 191
    On Teletext this morning it said Pearl Jam were rumoured to headline T in the Park!
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • Options
    bhrion wrote:
    trust me on this man... from the very top of MCD...they really really want to play ireland... trust me... so reluctantly they have agreed to do Oxegen... as for the UK I believe Scotland will get a show but that is it... ...

surely if they are doing oxegen then that will automatically mean a festival slot at T in the park in Scotland, as T in the Park and Oxegen are identical festivlals....
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    I've gone every single year to Oxegen since it started (it was previously known as Witnness) and as each year goes by, it's getting worse and worse. Pearl Jam will be wasted at this festival. Slane would have been a much better option
    die on a hilltop.. eyeing the crows,
    waiting for your lids to close..
    but you want to watch as they peck your flesh..
    Ironic that they go for the eyes first
  • Options
    siljosiljo Posts: 2,201
    bhrion wrote:

do you know where in Croatia? Zagreb will have 2 festivals, first one will take place the last weekend of June and the other one will be a week or two later...
    well, they got some presents from a group of croatian fans after zagreb gig last year so maybe they want to come back ;)
    Standing on a hill, staring at a mountain...
  • Options
    outspaced wrote:
    I've gone every single year to Oxegen since it started (it was previously known as Witnness) and as each year goes by, it's getting worse and worse. Pearl Jam will be wasted at this festival. Slane would have been a much better option
    oh come on, we can't complain... they're doing festivals everywhere. I'd be happy to see them anywhere... oxegen here I come by the looks of things :):):) . the Who headlined last year, that was far from shite.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    surely if they are doing oxegen then that will automatically mean a festival slot at T in the park in Scotland, as T in the Park and Oxegen are identical festivlals....

this would be correct
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    This would be great news.

if only France could be added....

no rumours on a french stop, mate ?
    Still waiting for a gig in Paris (in a venue not a festival) since 2006...
    Spin, spin !!

Marseille + Paris 2006
    London + Werchter 2007
    Arras + Belfast 2010
    Arras 2012
    Paris Lollapalooza 2022
  • Options
    Spoke to my man again today... yes its a double deal they are in talks about T in the Park and Oxegen... I think playing two huge shows in a week would make it worthwhile staying in europe for an extra week plus if Oxegen is good enough for the Who - its good enough for Pearl Jam.
    My source tells me the sticking point is that they want to know the rest of the line up. They also expressed a desire to play in Kilkenny the day after Wembley at the Source but this is not possible because Aitken and not MCD promote that festival and Pearl Jam are tied to MCD. They also refused to play the Point because of the early curfew and some problems with accoustics that they apparently had last year (which I must say I did not notice)....
    Dublin 2006
    Astoria, London 2006
    Toronto 2005
    Dublin 2000
    Wembley, London 2000
    Roksilde, Denmark 2000
    Berlin 2000
    Dublin 1996
    Cork 1996
    Slane 1993
    Newcastle 1992
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    seems strange...if they do Oxygen on the 8th...that's over a week after Werchter..they'd do the shows east BEFORE that..not hang around doing nothing for a week (I'm sure they wouldn't mind but you have to keep on paying the crew and material during that time.)

T in the Park is normally twinned with Oxygen isn't it? that's in Scotland (I think..wanted to go this year anyway) but the Scots have been told to buy London.

Plus the Polish promoter said it's the only gig in central Europe (thus ruling out Hungary and probably Croatia).

As much as I'd love more dates (my bank manager doesn't), it would be very crass of them to announce them now because many people are travelling that wouldn't have otherwise :(

Croatia is not central Europe - its southern europe - the balkans - so that would not make your Polish friend a liar... at a stretch you could say Hungary is south east europe...
    Dublin 2006
    Astoria, London 2006
    Toronto 2005
    Dublin 2000
    Wembley, London 2000
    Roksilde, Denmark 2000
    Berlin 2000
    Dublin 1996
    Cork 1996
    Slane 1993
    Newcastle 1992
  • Options
    bhrion wrote:
    Spoke to my man again today... yes its a double deal they are in talks about T in the Park and Oxegen... I think playing two huge shows in a week would make it worthwhile staying in europe for an extra week plus if Oxegen is good enough for the Who - its good enough for Pearl Jam.
    My source tells me the sticking point is that they want to know the rest of the line up. They also expressed a desire to play in Kilkenny the day after Wembley at the Source but this is not possible because Aitken and not MCD promote that festival and Pearl Jam are tied to MCD. They also refused to play the Point because of the early curfew and some problems with accoustics that they apparently had last year (which I must say I did not notice)....

Don't know about oxygen. But getting to see Pearl Jam, you can't complain.

Did you manage to get any 2007 tickets??

I want to go for the Holland gig (I have london already) but I wouldn't really bother if they were playin Ireland.

Any idea when they may announce any details??
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    bhrion wrote:
    :eek: Kilkenny would be COOL! I love that city :)

Will you get your friend to pass on the message that Vicar St. and the Olympia are BOTH available :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :eek: Kilkenny would be COOL! I love that city :)

Will you get your friend to pass on the message that Vicar St. and the Olympia are BOTH available :D

I think they might be a tad, er, small...
    Dublin 2006
    Astoria, London 2006
    Toronto 2005
    Dublin 2000
    Wembley, London 2000
    Roksilde, Denmark 2000
    Berlin 2000
    Dublin 1996
    Cork 1996
    Slane 1993
    Newcastle 1992
  • Options
    bhrion wrote:
    I think they might be a tad, er, small...
    Indeed they would... but they'd be GREAT!

London got them in the Astoria, why can't we have them in Vicar St? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    bhrion wrote:
    They also refused to play the Point because of the early curfew and some problems with accoustics that they apparently had last year (which I must say I did not notice)....

Oh that's a shame, I would have loved to have gone back to Dublin and seen Pearl Jam :( We made a short break out of it last year and came back absolutely loving the city, such an amazing place, we're hoping to go back within the next couple of years but PJ would have given us a great excuse to go this summer :D Still, I guess Wembley ain't so bad!
  • Options
    bhrion wrote:
    They also refused to play the Point because of the early curfew and some problems with accoustics that they apparently had last year (which I must say I did not notice)....

I believe the specific acoustic problem they had was that girl singing like a banshee during Betterman ;-)
  • Options
    brain_of_K wrote:
    I believe the specific acoustic problem they had was that girl singing like a banshee during Betterman ;-)
    well she identified herself... and she's banned from any future gigs... unless she comes prepared with duct tape :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    brain_of_K wrote:

Yeah,she almost ruined it..................almost.
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    pajopajo Posts: 3,292
    bhrion wrote:
    Croatia is not central Europe - its southern europe - so that would not make your Polish friend a liar... at a stretch you could say Hungary is south east europe...
    Also, Zagreb and Budapest are not far from each other and have an excellent and extremely cheap train connection so it would make it easy for all of us to travel from one show to another!
    And Ed did say 'CU next year' in Zagreb and although we all took it as one of his usual the-rest-of-the-band-nods-in-slight-disbelief kind of sentences, it would be so sweet if it turned out to be true!
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    bhrion wrote:

You seem to talk in too much detail for this to be bs. I believe you but is it not true that oxegen is notorious for bad sound and an early curfew?

However most definitely last year in the point Pearl jams set was cut by three or four songs. Someone i know got the set and they said comotose, porch and ledbetter were on that list and maybe there was more.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    I was at Oxegen last year .. and didnt think the sound on the main stage was that great to be honest ..Readings sound kicked Oxegens ass...although possibly that could have been due to being right up the front and not half way back like at oxegen ... though Ben Harpers set in one of the tents at oxegen was feckin excellent :D
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Oxegen is a big pile of poo.

The shows don't go on a while lot later than in the Point... the organization is atroctious... I'd love to see them back in Ireland... but I can just imagine 80,000 people singing Black, looking behind me to see everyone up the hill with lighters in the air... SLAAAAAAAAANE!!

In saying that... I did have great craic at Oxegen when I went!!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    Oxegen is a big pile of poo.

The shows don't go on a while lot later than in the Point... the organization is atroctious... I'd love to see them back in Ireland... but I can just imagine 80,000 people singing Black, looking behind me to see everyone up the hill with lighters in the air... SLAAAAAAAAANE!!

In saying that... I did have great craic at Oxegen when I went!!

Agreed... I swore I'd never go again after last year... but a day ticket would be an option I'd have to take if this does turn out to be true.
  • Options
    Thats what we had- a day ticket. Jesus I dont think I could have dealt with a whole weekend of Oxegen .. it is indeed BRUTALLY organised compared to what i saw of Reading for example.
    Better stop now before MCD come and sue my ass for negative remarks :D
    "Underneath this smile lies everything
    All my hopes and anger, pride and shame
    Make myself a pact not to shut doors on the past
    Just for today I am free"

Dublin 23/08/2006 ~~~Reading 27/08/2006

Wembley June '07 !!
  • Options
    Thats what we had- a day ticket. Jesus I dont think I could have dealt with a whole weekend of Oxegen .. it is indeed BRUTALLY organised compared to what i saw of Reading for example.

Or your comments get back to Eddie and the boys...
    'Oxegen, where? Ireland?.... Nah fuck it if its badly organised, I'd rather do some surfing' ;)
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340

... I'll continue then!! Went on the day ticket to Leeds and was at Nova Rock last year... they really put Oxegen to shame. Even little obvious things like more loo's and bars... the Irish stick a fuckin' theme park between the two stages just to make it extra fuckin difficult to get from one place to another... the others had a closed road dedicated only to shuttle busses from the nearest cities and only took a few minutes - no traffic at all! Sound wise... Nova Rock was fuckin louuuuuuuud... well impressed at how great it was and definitely plan to go again this year! Ack.. but yey... PEARL JAM BACK IN IRELAND!! :D:D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    We took ages on the bus to get into oxegen because it was one lane and clogged with private busses...We saw some guys in the bus on front of us got off to take a piss.... seconds later the gards opened the road to two lanes and their bus speeds off leading these guys frantically shoving their members inside their pants and running after the bus... They had to walk the rest of the way hahahaha!