Options

Pearl Jam limited edition chrome Pono Player

Comments

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

100 Pacer said:

I realize this is going to sound absurd, but that Ed signature doesn't look right to me.

:))

All the reactions to these things are funnier and so much more cynical than I expected!

I wish I'd bought one now... i would have already reported how the fucking thing SOUNDS. I've skipped some pages, but has anyone actually tried listening to one yet?? Or are you all still too upset about what it looks like? ;):D
    I'm going to frame mine right next to my framed vinyl and framed coffee mugs. Isn't that what these things are for?
  • Options
    The songs are very good - hmmm No Kevin, we knew that.
    So how do I describe sound in words...
    By far the best I have ever heard them through headphones. I guess a real clear, sharp quality to it. Or something.
    I am very impressed (still not referring to the UPS dude - but again he seemed nice though).
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,725
    PJ_Soul said:

100 Pacer said:

I realize this is going to sound absurd, but that Ed signature doesn't look right to me.

All the reactions to these things are funnier and so much more cynical than I expected!

I wish I'd bought one now... i would have already reported how the fucking thing SOUNDS. I've skipped some pages, but has anyone actually tried listening to one yet?? Or are you all still too upset about what it looks like? ;):D

I understand that it isn't what they had pictured before these were manufactured, but it's not like Ed's sig looks fake, it just looks like the older "E" that he used to sign:

Oh of course, its definitely the version from around 2008-2011 - probably earlier too.......its exactly the one used on the Klausen and Vedder Chicago AP poster. Which is fine, the only point being made is to wonder why that choice was made?

Im sure once the product is in hand we will all be very happy we ordered and never let them go (well that will be whatever happens) but from the initial images there is a little feeling of disappointment that it initially looked tons better than the end product.

No big deal I guess.
  • Options
    Those wanting a sound review, patience ...

Demetrios will be back with an indepth review - he has a treasure trove of HD recordings primed and ready but im sure it will take time to make a decent review of it, rather than a knee jerk judgement based off one listen.

Give it a few days and Im sure we'll see some quality feedback on the sound
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,468
    pdalowsky said:

PJ_Soul said:

100 Pacer said:

I understand that it isn't what they had pictured before these were manufactured, but it's not like Ed's sig looks fake, it just looks like the older "E" that he used to sign:

Oh of course, its definitely the version from around 2008-2011 - probably earlier too.......its exactly the one used on the Klausen and Vedder Chicago AP poster. Which is fine, the only point being made is to wonder why that choice was made?

Im sure once the product is in hand we will all be very happy we ordered and never let them go (well that will be whatever happens) but from the initial images there is a little feeling of disappointment that it initially looked tons better than the end product.

No big deal I guess.
    I'm sure the signature choice was made by someone who is not an uber pearl jam fan. They likely got numerous samples and someone chose the old version. I doubt they put much thought into it since they were likely focusing on how the thing sounds.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,583
    I typed out a very lengthy reply only to end up deleting it in favor of this brief comment:

The signatures (primarily Ed's) make absolutely zero sense. My gut feeling tells me the band instructed Pono to pull the original signatures submitted to them (the ones seen in the beginning of this thread) and someone at Pono thought "hey, why not ask the band to use a likeness of their signatures?" and the band said fine. The signatures that appear on the final product resemble the fake signatures you'd find on numerous eBay items, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone at Pono borrowed from a source there. The Ed signature is the one that caught my eye, looks like a dozen fake Ed signatures on eBay, and it makes absolutely zero sense for them to have abandoned the genuine and current one offered on the original image presented on their site for one that resembles one offered 5+ years ago and is quite off from the genuine article. When you, for lack of a better word, study the band's signatures since the early 90s until present day you start to realize the small but subtle differences make a world of difference. Paranoid and cynical? Perhaps. I still feel better sharing that viewpoint with those that paid for this device.

Just my $0.02

Here's hoping someone from either the Pono camp or the band's camp comes out and poops all over my theory because if I owned one of these I'd honestly would feel horrible and demand a refund otherwise.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    100 Pacer said:

I typed out a very lengthy reply only to end up deleting it in favor of this brief comment:

The signatures (primarily Ed's) make absolutely zero sense. My gut feeling tells me the band instructed Pono to pull the original signatures submitted to them (the ones seen in the beginning of this thread) and someone at Pono thought "hey, why not ask the band to use a likeness of their signatures?" and the band said fine. The signatures that appear on the final product resemble the fake signatures you'd find on numerous eBay items, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone at Pono borrowed from a source there. The Ed signature is the one that caught my eye, looks like a dozen fake Ed signatures on eBay, and it makes absolutely zero sense for them to have abandoned the genuine and current one offered on the original image presented on their site for one that resembles one offered 5+ years ago and is quite off from the genuine article. When you, for lack of a better word, study the band's signatures since the early 90s until present day you start to realize the small but subtle differences make a world of difference. Paranoid and cynical? Perhaps. I still feel better sharing that viewpoint with those that paid for this device.

Just my $0.02

Here's hoping someone from either the Pono camp or the band's camp comes out and poops all over my theory because if I owned one of these I'd honestly would feel horrible and demand a refund otherwise.

i will defer to you since you seem to know a lot about their signatures....
    but do you really think the band would let a company "officially" release a product with their name on it with fake signatures?

if so then I am super disappointed in both Neil and PJ

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    edited November 2014
    on2legs said:

They likely got numerous samples and someone chose the old version. I doubt they put much thought into it since they were likely focusing on how the thing sounds.

I will heavily disagree with that statement.... They made numerous signature layouts to ensure it looked like someone wanted it to look... The design team that made the case for the Pono most likely had nothing to do with the audio characteristics or electronics logic.

My guess to why the etching came out gold was a material change between the prototypes and also the laser settings that did the etching...
    Post edited by camaros on
    i like sound...
  • Options
    To add to my awesome earlier review...
    The signatures have zero impact on the brilliant sound quality - mind you my player has Dave A's on it so it might be faulty.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited November 2014
    the laser engraved signatures are a completely pointless and lazy concept no matter how look at it. If the makers really wanted to do something nice and unique, they would have come up with some cool looking PJ inspired artwork. That would probably have added a lot more value than some fake autographs.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,518
    To play devil's advocate, if I was to buy a LE Pono player say three years down the road, I think I might want to know it was used from time to time. I don't think complete preservation equates to increased flippability when it comes to an electronic item. Vinyl, sure, but a pono player?

I would think that lack of use would make it less valuable and have more uncertainties. Like if you didn't start a car for 10 years, you'd kind of expect it not to work. Similarly, imagine going back to Pono in 5 years and asking for a 1st gen battery? My guess is that they might be obsolete by that point. Plus wouldn't the buyer want to ensure that it works (and thus, make the seller turn it on)? Maybe all this doesn't matter to the merch obsessed, but they would definitely be considerations for me.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

the laser engraved signatures are a completely pointless and lazy concept no matter how look at it. If the makers really wanted to do something nice and unique, they would have come up with come cool looking PJ inspired artwork. That would probably have added a lot more value than some fake autographs.

dunno - they are a nice feature on a 'signature series' of the product.

and they could have looked amazing. Those quick to criticize such comments, are right in the sense this is a 'sound' product, it was hardly engineered to be visibily appealing in the shape of a toblerone, but to the collectors amoungst us who bought them to pop on a shelf and admire, I dare say this detail was the thing that clinched it.

But im kidding no one, even if it was just Pearl Jam embossed or something Id have bought it.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    I bought it because as a collector I would buy anything with "Pearl Jam" written on it, as long as is not bootlegged I'll buy it, and as a collector the issue with the signatures pisses me off, this is not an expensive $40 dog collar, this was a $400 item, it was endorsed by the band (plus Neil's name is involved), the way they preview it looked like a million dollars, but what I got was something that looks like it could have been engraved at the mall with some fake signatures taken from eBay, but wait! is the sound quality as amazing as advertised? I couldn't care less, I'm not planning on using it, just display it at home, if I wanted it only for the sound I could have bought the cheaper version without the signatures, but 100% of my decision to buy was based on the signatures and THAT part of the Pono is fucked up.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    How many Pono owners will rebuy a lot of music in 24 bit, to take advantage of the player. Or will they just use it as a 16/44.1 player?

$20 an album for 24 bit music that one already owns will be an expensive investment.

That is why I am definitely not an "early adopter" of these...will see how they play out and maybe purchase a regular version way down the road.
  • Options
    So it is confirmed now that it is fake?
    guys chill out.
    I am sure that they are legit signatures.
    I agree that they shouldn't have shown a mock up and deviated from it without letting the pledgers know in advance.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozK said:

How many Pono owners will rebuy a lot of music in 24 bit, to take advantage of the player. Or will they just use it as a 16/44.1 player?

My plan was to probably just slowly build up the important things, you know maybe buy one a month or something, but mainly use the files or rip what I have already.

Although after reading all the joy around here I may go throw it in the river and then kick a puppy in the face as I have clearly wasted my money.
  • Options

MedozK said:

My plan was to probably just slowly build up the important things, you know maybe buy one a month or something, but mainly use the files or rip what I have already.

Although after reading all the joy around here I may go throw it in the river and then kick a puppy in the face as I have clearly wasted my money.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited November 2014

MedozK said:

I just about spit my drink all over my desk. :)) :))

I would love an A/B comparison between an 16/44.1 ALAC played through an ipod and 16/44.1 ALAC played through the Pono. Because anyone that has listened to well mastered 24 bit knows..they sound great....but I would love to hear comparison reviews of 16/44.1.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    So now we're saying people were PONED?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

I am sure some flipper would jump right in and retrieve it.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JohnnieBeBlueJohnnieBeBlue Posts: 627
    edited November 2014
    I really hear both sides here. Did I buy the pono to listen to outstanding music? Absolutely. Would I have been an early adopter and kickstarter backer without the PJ edition? Probably not. The Pono people sent literally 40 or so updates since the beginning. I think the least they could have done is send an updated image and explanation as to why the finished product differs so starkly from the original image.
  • Options

MedozK said:

• Options
    I am gonna need to see photo of Ed personally engraving mine before I am satisfied that it is a real signature.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited November 2014
    Someone please tell Ed and the guys to stop rest of shipment. Reissue the correct version and throw in some red variants or extra preloaded complete albums. Sign the boxes too, and include meet and greet passes for the next tour.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    PP193448 said:

Someone please tell Ed and the guys to stop rest of shipment. Reissue the correct version and throw out some red variants or extra preloaded complete albums

I want the Sharpie variant where Ed traces his real signature over the fake etching so that we can compare the two.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    I believe I was one of the last to snag a "SOLD OUT" Pj signature series that someone released . My email confirm was April 9, 2014, 3:12:37 AM EDT

I'm wondering when Pono released the PJ player prototype images... I'm pretty sure I saw them before I switched my pledge from a Black player to a PJ one... So I feel a little dupped because the signatures did look so cool, but then again I decided to fund the project.... Not buy a detail specific item... There were a lot of unknowns at that time.
    i like sound...
  • Options
    I know I am def in the minority here, but after going back and looking at the original pics, I prefer the way it looks now. properly spaced, larger signatures. if only the sigs were real.. :))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    edited November 2014
    Today, we worry about laser engraved signatures. Tomorrow, the world.
    Post edited by tribejammer05 on
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    if only Louisville would get their shit together.
    I haven't heard a peep out of UPS in two days.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    stukatzstukatz Posts: 110

'Kyle French
    (Moderator)
    @ Larry Berg We'll try to get more detailed information than what is already known. The only thing we know is that Artist LEs were manufactured as a complete lot and shipped at the same time. i.e. All 500 NY LEs produced, then shipped together, etc.'

I'm calling BS on that one. I also purchased a PJ Pono very early on, and I have yet to receive any UPS shipping note or delivery. I have contacted Pono and they said that they have my order but have yet to ship. So not all PJ (or any other LE's produced) were shipped at the same time.