2023 Oscars

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    On the local news channel they were doing some extreme mental gymnastics to say this was a racist incident, which I just couldn’t make make sense.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    On the local news channel they were doing some extreme mental gymnastics to say this was a racist incident, which I just couldn’t make make sense.
    because it doesn't. I just read someone say the same thing on Twitter. literally everyone responding was confused as hell. 

I have read elsewhere, however, that black women have historically been the subject of high scrutiny when it comes to hair, and that is somehow it became racist? Because Chris Rock crossed the line talking about a black woman's hair? FFS. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,375

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    curiously, he didn't apologize to his own family. one of which, wrote this after it happened:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485

Never follow an apology with  ,but.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:

exactly. "I'm sorry, but you deserved it". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    Malroth said:

exactly. "I'm sorry, but you deserved it". 
    “My behaviour was inexcusable… but here’s my excuse”
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    He shouldn't have to publicly apologize, that is between them...the whole Hollywood thing is weird, right?  Almost everything is for show.
    We are a strange group, Americans.

We should be talking about Russia committing war crimes, instead Will Smith distracted us.  Maybe he is a Russian plant!
    (Only half kidding with that paragraph)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The oscars has not meant anything for a long time.  $140,000 gift bags.  Will Smith demonstrating that the rules do not apply to stars.  WTF who cares?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    Get_Right said:
    The oscars has not meant anything for a long time.  $140,000 gift bags.  Will Smith demonstrating that the rules do not apply to stars.  WTF who cares?
    So, why does it not mean anything now? When "a long time" ago did it matter. And what is the difference? 

Must be something other than " $140,000 gift bags." ?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    So, why does it not mean anything now? When "a long time" ago did it matter. And what is the difference? 

I do not have an answer. Maybe 30 years?  Never been a fan of pomp and circumstance and the oscars are an embodiment of that.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I do not have an answer. Maybe 30 years?  Never been a fan of pomp and circumstance and the oscars are an embodiment of that.
    But you can be sure this will help their recent ratings plunge.
    If they're smart, they hire Rock to host in 2023, ratings will soar.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    JPPJ84 said:
    Is it worth getting a apple+ subscription for that CODA movie?
    It’s still on my list but my parents loved and recommended it to me long before it was nominated 
    I’m boycotting it because it was shot in Massachusetts. I see enough of Massachusetts and its Massholes every goddamn day. No need to glorify them on screen. 

(I also haven’t seen the sexual assaulty Affleck kid’s Oscar movie that came out a couple of years ago.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    because it doesn't. I just read someone say the same thing on Twitter. literally everyone responding was confused as hell. 

I have read elsewhere, however, that black women have historically been the subject of high scrutiny when it comes to hair, and that is somehow it became racist? Because Chris Rock crossed the line talking about a black woman's hair? FFS. 
    Here is a perfect article for the both of you.  I read it and said Huh?  I guess you can find racism in anything if you look hard enough?
  • Options

mid article....

Will and Jada Pinkett Smith have been public about many things: their open marriage, Jada’s affair, how they choose to raise their children. Yes, being a celebrity opens you up to public scrutiny. But everyone has a breaking point, and this may have been Smith’s. Even before the Slap, it was an emotionally charged night in which Smith was anticipating his first Oscar win. A win that would make him only the fifth Black man ever to win the Best Actor award.

As for Rock, his G.I. Jane joke was not only in bad taste, but it was also ableist and hypocritical. In 2009, Rock’s documentary Good Hair, which he dedicated to his daughters, explored Black women’s relationship with hair and beauty politics and even addressed the topic of alopecia. Rock interviews a woman with alopecia named Sheila Bridges, who tells him, “The reason hair is so important is because our self-esteem is wrapped up in it.”

So you would think Rock would know better.

Back in 2018, Pinkett Smith opened up about her alopecia, an autoimmune disorder that attacks hair follicles and results in bald spots and hair loss. During an episode of her Facebook Watch show Red Table Talk, she explained, “It was terrifying when it first started. I was in the shower one day and had just handfuls of hair in my hands, and I was just like, Oh my God, am I going bald?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    theres an apology post going around adbook purporting to be a statement by Rock. Not on his website. Not on His adbook page. Not on his twitter. Not on his IG. cannot be found anywhere I look under an account in his name.....

yet its going around.

• Options
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

So what did it mean 30 years ago, that it doesn't mean now?

I'm pretty sure they had gift bags 30 years ago.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    theres an apology post going around adbook purporting to be a statement by Rock. Not on his website. Not on His adbook page. Not on his twitter. Not on his IG. cannot be found anywhere I look under an account in his name.....

yet its going around.
    The one I posted above is from his verified IG account. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mid article....

Will and Jada Pinkett Smith have been public about many things: their open marriage, Jada’s affair, how they choose to raise their children. Yes, being a celebrity opens you up to public scrutiny. But everyone has a breaking point, and this may have been Smith’s. Even before the Slap, it was an emotionally charged night in which Smith was anticipating his first Oscar win. A win that would make him only the fifth Black man ever to win the Best Actor award.

As for Rock, his G.I. Jane joke was not only in bad taste, but it was also ableist and hypocritical. In 2009, Rock’s documentary Good Hair, which he dedicated to his daughters, explored Black women’s relationship with hair and beauty politics and even addressed the topic of alopecia. Rock interviews a woman with alopecia named Sheila Bridges, who tells him, “The reason hair is so important is because our self-esteem is wrapped up in it.”

So you would think Rock would know better.

Back in 2018, Pinkett Smith opened up about her alopecia, an autoimmune disorder that attacks hair follicles and results in bald spots and hair loss. During an episode of her Facebook Watch show Red Table Talk, she explained, “It was terrifying when it first started. I was in the shower one day and had just handfuls of hair in my hands, and I was just like, Oh my God, am I going bald?

all well and good, but if he simply thought it was a fashion choice as opposed to a condition makes the difference to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Poncier said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

But you can be sure this will help their recent ratings plunge.
    If they're smart, they hire Rock to host in 2023, ratings will soar.
    100%. And have a bit where he insults Alfonso Ribiero (Carlton), Alfonso storms the stage, pauses, and they both break out into the Carlton Dance. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    igotid88 said:

That's funny!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

I wonder who made him wrote that, because he didn’t se sorry to Chris that night.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    mace1229 said:

I wonder who made him wrote that, because he didn’t se sorry to Chris that night.
    Alsina made him write it.

Too soon?!?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

yet its going around.

you posted will smiths. I am talking about a chris rock apology.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

yet its going around.

you posted will smiths. I am talking about a chris rock apology.....
    sorry, read your post wrong. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Jim Carrey on the event:

https://youtu.be/kQZRo9gBiIU
  • Options
    no surprise Jim Carrey has the correct take on this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com