Options

Rule 19: Never, under any circumstances, wear the t shirt of the band you are going to see

Comments

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,526

Sometimes wearing a band shirt during the day of a show helps you strike up conversations with other fans while you are touring the city. I met some great friends who I only said hello to because they were wearing a PJ shirt at an airport.

Thats right..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    The entire mansfield 6/30/08 show he was wearing a Pearl Jam shirt ( vs tour ) black with white, that they now sell in the goods section.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited March 2014

Show me a picture of Eddie violating rule 19......

Does the rule apply to someone in the band playing a gig?

Because if it does... then, I guess Eddie Vedder must be a douche for wearing a Pearl Jam shirt to a Pearl Jam gig while in the Pearl Jam band.

credit: 'locked' for pointing me in the right direction.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    I looked for the picture but could not find it....I know there was one of Jeff wearing one of the While My Heart Beats t's a while back. I remember laughing and saying how I love that he wasn't following that stupid rule.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Cosmo said:

Show me a picture of Eddie violating rule 19......

Does the rule apply to someone in the band playing a gig?

Because if it does... then, I guess Eddie Vedder must be a douche for wearing a Pearl Jam shirt to a Pearl Jam gig while in the Pearl Jam band.

credit: 'locked' for pointing me in the right direction.
    Nice, do we have a Jeff and or Matt wearing PJ gear?

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Nice, do we have a Jeff and or Matt wearing PJ gear?
    It'll probably take some time...
    How about Jeff wearing a RNDM T-shirt while at a RNDM gig while being in the RNDM band? I mean, he is at a RNDM gig... is he a douche for wearing a shirt of the band at the band's gig?
    Also, does it matter if Matt is wearing a Soundgarden shirt drumming for Soundgarden at a Soundgarden gig?
    Addendum:
    I got tired of looking so you can go ahead and call Mike, Stone Eddie and Jeff douchebags and officially consider Matt as the only band member cool enough for your dress code standards.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Band members are exempt.Like football players need to wear uniforms so they are exempt also.Fans only
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    rr165892 said:

Band members are exempt.Like football players need to wear uniforms so they are exempt also.Fans only

Did the Jeremy Piven character in that movie define this? Because, that seems to be the official ruling. Everything else is just interpretation... right?
    Isn't it sort of like interpreting the Ten Commandments saying 'Thou Shalt Not Bang Thy Neighbor's Wife'... but, you reading it as... '(unless she is has big tits... then, it is okay)'?
    And i didn't know bands wore uniforms. I mean, I can understand not going to a Beatles concert in 1965 wearing the same Neru Jackets as they did... or going to a DEVO gig in 1977 in a yellow, level-2 decontamination suit and red DEVO Dome.... but, are what bands wear onstage today considered team uniforms?
    When did that law pass and I wonder why I never got the memo. Because I have a lot of plain t-shirts and plaid camping shirts that will probably be deemed illegal.
    Also, where can I find the official rules on what I'm supposed to wear to a football game? I am a law abiding dude and do not want to disobey the law..
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Cosmo,Take a deep breath My brotha..We are all having a little fun with this.Wear whatever the fuck you want,enjoy,be happy.I believe it was said in the great non Oscar winning movie Van Wilder"Dont take life too serious,because you never make it out alive"
    I have 50+ authentic concert shirts and jerseys .I wear them all the time with my non age appropriate checkerboard vans.I love rocking that shit,but I still don't wear the gear to the show I'm going to.No rules,no laws just personal preference .My brother and friends always have joked about rule 19 all growing up and it just is.Do your thing and try not to look to deep into this extremely light & fun topic.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Cosmo,Take a deep breath My brotha..We are all having a little fun with this.Wear whatever the fuck you want,enjoy,be happy.I believe it was said in the great non Oscar winning movie Van Wilder"Dont take life too serious,because you never make it out alive"
    I have 50+ authentic concert shirts and jerseys .I wear them all the time with my non age appropriate checkerboard vans.I love rocking that shit,but I still don't wear the gear to the show I'm going to.No rules,no laws just personal preference .My brother and friends always have joked about rule 19 all growing up and it just is.Do your thing and try not to look to deep into this extremely light & fun topic.

I am with you, just having fun. I was thinking of getting some checkerboard vans too, how odd...........

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

it doesn't feel light and fun to know that you have been mocked and judged by the too cool for school, fashion-police fans. there are so many intelligent, responsible folks here, it's a bummer at each show to be reminded that so many PJ fans are still just douchenozzles. we are here to be a community and comedy is great, but it need not be at one of our own expense. also the movie PCU is not as ubiquitous as Van Wilder (great??? wow cinema is subjective lol), or say the movies of Jay and Silent Bob. I don't know anyone who has seen this movie at all, or even recognized the title.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    rgambs said:

it's a bummer at each show to be reminded that so many PJ fans are still just douchenozzles.

this is par for the course for pretty much every band.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    To avoid confusion -
    Douche nozzle - A male who acts and looks like an utter jackass. Someone who transcends common insults to the point that simply calling him a "jackass" or "douchebag" will no longer do. Much more offensive than simply calling someone a douchebag.
  • Options
    Buck,go to vans online you can customize your color and patterns.Waiting on 3new pairs as we speak.So comfy,so stylish.I prefer to call it "upscale slacker"styling.
    Rgambs,again WE ARE FUCKING AROUND HERE ! If your stressing about this being some kind of heavy,don't its all fun .Lighten up.I personally have never made fun of anyone at a concert with exception of a couple who was wearing bondage attire and handcuffed together at a In This Moment concert last year.But they really deserved it.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

I met some great friends who I only said hello to because they were wearing a PJ shirt at an airport.

How Shallow :P haha
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I know this is supposed to be light-hearted... but, when that poor guy that says he was ridiculed at a Phish concert and a Pearl Jam concert in Montreal... to the point where he actually changed to conform in order to avoid the same thing happening in the future... it no longer is light-hearted.
    Look, I'm just saying that ANYONE who truely belives in this moronic, high school mentality, fabricated 'rule' and says something (even if just to their friends) about some poor, unsuspecting person being a douche because of their choice in dress code... the person that believes that is really the douche for holding onto shithead high school bullshit, a decade after they graduated out. It's high school moroninc bullshit because it's the same thing as those high school airhead chicks that give other girls grief because they are not wearing 100 dollar designer name brand jeans they are 'supposed' to be wearing.
    I'm saying to just go to the gig and have a good time and don't be the douche that worries about policing other people into your dress code standards and your self-imposed proper codes of conduct of rocking outedness. Just go out and do what you do and enjoy yourself... as long as it's not at some other poor guy's expense.
    And... if your idea of having fun is being a douche and judging what people wear and/or how they act at a gig... don't get upset if other people point out that behaviour as moronic and covered in douchey-McDouchebag sauce. Just take ownership of who you are and Let your Douche Flag fly.
    That's all.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    cdysinge said:

I'm sorry but I won't share a joint with someone I don't know until I'm done with it. I'm happy to pass down the line but not until I'm done. I don't need to try and explain to my wife how I got herpes. Nope, not at the expense of a life long infection. So share yes, but not until my lips are done touching it.

You don't have to touch the joint with your mouth. Just get your fingers between the joint and your lips, and you don't have to worry about it. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

rr165892 said:

I know this is supposed to be light-hearted... but, when that poor guy that says he was ridiculed at a Phish concert and a Pearl Jam concert in Montreal... to the point where he actually changed to conform in order to avoid the same thing happening in the future... it no longer is light-hearted.
    Look, I'm just saying that ANYONE who truely belives in this moronic, high school mentality, fabricated 'rule' and says something (even if just to their friends) about some poor, unsuspecting person being a douche because of their choice in dress code... the person that believes that is really the douche for holding onto shithead high school bullshit, a decade after they graduated out. It's high school moroninc bullshit because it's the same thing as those high school airhead chicks that give other girls grief because they are not wearing 100 dollar designer name brand jeans they are 'supposed' to be wearing.
    I'm saying to just go to the gig and have a good time and don't be the douche that worries about policing other people into your dress code standards and your self-imposed proper codes of conduct of rocking outedness. Just go out and do what you do and enjoy yourself... as long as it's not at some other poor guy's expense.
    And... if your idea of having fun is being a douche and judging what people wear and/or how they act at a gig... don't get upset if other people point out that behaviour as moronic and covered in douchey-McDouchebag sauce. Just take ownership of who you are and Let your Douche Flag fly.
    That's all.
    First off the guy shoulda told whoever gave him shit to fuck themselves.Second it was in Montreal sooooo the rules are different.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

First off the guy shoulda told whoever gave him shit to fuck themselves.Second it was in Montreal sooooo the rules are different.

Yeah, i know... but, I don't know the guy personally.
    I just think it is shitty for people to make him feel that way in the first place, don't you? I mean, you agree, it's an asshole move to do that shit to people, right? We're not in high school and we're not high school bimbo chicks that care about fashion, right?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

Look Ma, no herpes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    edited March 2014

Thoughts?

shut the fuck up comes to mind.

not that I would say it or anything.
    Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    rollings said:

Thoughts?

Thanks for the kind words.
    :))
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    rollings said:

Thoughts?

seems a bit harsh for the discussion. but it works
  • Options
    It's Tuesday
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    Cosmo don't worry about it dude, I wouldn't consider myself some "poor guy" because I got ridiculed in Montreal. Concerts are full of douche nozzles, that's why you drink.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

it doesn't feel light and fun to know that you have been mocked and judged by the too cool for school, fashion-police fans. there are so many intelligent, responsible folks here, it's a bummer at each show to be reminded that so many PJ fans are still just douchenozzles. we are here to be a community and comedy is great, but it need not be at one of our own expense. also the movie PCU is not as ubiquitous as Van Wilder (great??? wow cinema is subjective lol), or say the movies of Jay and Silent Bob. I don't know anyone who has seen this movie at all, or even recognized the title.
    How old are you? I only ask because it's a pretty well known movie.

Maybe I'm a bit more into comedies than say the average brah due to members of my family directing comedy in second city and performing and such but it was a regularly watched movie when I was in HS. Always on Comedy Central in the afternoons.

Also, it's been ranked in the top 10 all time of college movies by huffingtonpost.com apparently.

Who knows. Fuck me in the brain!

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    The whole premise of this thread is so juvenile . Like I was transported back to 8th grade. Please die thread. Please for the love of pj DIE.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    callen said:

The whole premise of this thread is so juvenile . Like I was transported back to 8th grade. Please die thread. Please for the love of pj DIE.

Agreed. This is totally ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    edited March 2014
    Rule #PJ1- wear a Pearl Jam T-shirt to every show you attend including Pearl Jam! ^:)^
    Know why? I wore a Pearl Jam shirt to see The Who in Phoenix a few years ago.... guess who I met when I went out for a smoke? Uncle John!! that's right- John Vedder - so cool- was at the show and how on earth would I have been introduced to him if I wasn't representing the world's greatest band on my shirt??? :-bd
    Post edited by bgirl59 on
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!