Options

Rule 19: Never, under any circumstances, wear the t shirt of the band you are going to see

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I enjoy everyone's opinions, it's what makes this place great.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219

Fair enough. On this issue there's no right or wrong, just wear whatever the hell you want to. I know because I got shit on by everyone I was with when I wore my yield shirt to the show in Montreal in 98, I'm forever ruined, and will always wear a random. Shirt or a different band's shirt to a show. I find it funny how myself and like 3 others were the only ones to speak up and say we thought it was something you shouldn't do, but there's been like 1500 views on this thread.... Don't make me feel alone people! :)

Dude... the problem isn't you... it is those assholes in Montreal. I say, 'Fuck those assholes'. Who put them in charge of what YOU should wear? And you know what else, fuck any asshole that think you are wearing what THEY think you should not be wearing... fuck them... no one made them the Concert Dress Code police. They may think they are being cool... but, being an asshole isn't cool... it's simply being an asshole.
    So, wear your Yield shirt from 1998 to the next Pearl Jam gig if you want to... and if someone tells you you shouldn't, tell them they are 30something and not in bullshit High School anymore and to mind their own fucking moronic business.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

The only rule for concerts should be "don't bogart that joint, my friend".

Lol! I hate that! At the Soundgarden show last year, I was in a single seat, and the dude beside me was also in a single seat. I tried having a friendly conversation with him and everything, and tried to kind of express happiness about the show at a couple points.... He wasn't into that. Well, that's cool I guess. Maybe he's shy or anti-social. But then during the show he sparked this massive joint, and made an actual point of not making any eye contact or anything the entire time he smoked it. He must have been smoking that thing for 10 minutes straight, and he didn't offer a toke to the other single right next to him! Wtf?! image Also, how high can you possibly get?! I could smell that it was good BC bud. I don't care how chronic you are, no one needs to smoke that much all by themselves at one go! image
    Similar thing happened to me in Missoula with these two guys next to me and then they split to go down to the floor. But about half way through the show the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and I was like, "Oh yeah! Thank you very much!" image

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    Cosmo said:

Fair enough. On this issue there's no right or wrong, just wear whatever the hell you want to. I know because I got shit on by everyone I was with when I wore my yield shirt to the show in Montreal in 98, I'm forever ruined, and will always wear a random. Shirt or a different band's shirt to a show. I find it funny how myself and like 3 others were the only ones to speak up and say we thought it was something you shouldn't do, but there's been like 1500 views on this thread.... Don't make me feel alone people! :)

Dude... the problem isn't you... it is those assholes in Montreal. I say, 'Fuck those assholes'. Who put them in charge of what YOU should wear? And you know what else, fuck any asshole that think you are wearing what THEY think you should not be wearing... fuck them... no one made them the Concert Dress Code police. They may think they are being cool... but, being an asshole isn't cool... it's simply being an asshole.
    So, wear your Yield shirt from 1998 to the next Pearl Jam gig if you want to... and if someone tells you you shouldn't, tell them they are 30something and not in bullshit High School anymore and to mind their own fucking moronic business.
    Cosmo said:

=D>

Fuck em! Good call. I liked your quotes around "fuck you assholes," too!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    bogartation is a sin of the gravest type. I hope they lack their medicine when next in need.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    kevedderkevedder Posts: 80
    Really good to see all of the different shirts at concerts. Especially at festivals...at the Big Day Out shows it was great to the see so many fans wearing PJ shirts...even better seeing people lining up after the concert grabbing shirts after seeing Pearl Jam for the first time and hearing them raving about the band.
    BIG DAY OUT SYDNEY FAIRGROUNDS, SYDNEY, AU, Sun 26 January, 2014 BIG DAY OUT FLEMINGTON RACECOURSE, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 24 January, 2014 Eddie Vedder Solo, Civic Theatre, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Wednesday 16th March Eddie Vedder Solo, STATE THEATRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Friday 18th March & Saturday 19th March ETIHAD STADIUM, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA, Fri 20 November, 2009 NEWCASTLE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, NEWCASTLE, AUSTRALIA, Sun 19 November, 2006 ACER ARENA, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tues 7, Wed 8 & Sat 18 November, 2006 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Tue 11, Thu 13 & Fri 14 February, 2003 SYDNEY ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, Mon 9, Wed 11 & Thu 12 March, 1998
  • Options
    rgambs said:

bogartation is a sin of the gravest type. I hope they lack their medicine when next in need.

What does this mean?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited March 2014
    I once went on an excursion to a Christian, country & Western, ex-military, steak-munching fest in Colorado Springs while wearing a Dead Kennedy's t-shirt with a picture of some dead marines on a beach with the words 'Round Round Get Around, We Get Around - Surfs Fucked Up' written on it. I'm still surprised to this day that I wasn't lynched by that mob.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked said:
    That's not real.
  • Options

rgambs said:

What does this mean?

which part? bogarting is withholding sweet meds from like-minded folks around you, and i think karma should come back around and deny them their meds when they need them!
  • Options
    densandensan Posts: 563
    edited March 2014
    This is awesome! I could care less about the the shirt stuff, but the smoke part is intriguing to me since I have often wondered why the hell the sharing what you have stopped, and to answer buck502000 "What does this mean?" Bbogartation is a sin of the gravest type. I hope they lack their medicine when next in need." Bogarting simply is a term from the 70's that meant keeping your/hogging the joint to yourself. Everyone used to share and pass it along. Bogarting is a synonym for not sharing. In my world, your welcome to what ever I have cause I try not to be greedy.

It might be my age or the way I look, but seems like now days no one ever offers me a hit. They just enjoy it all to themselves, but in my day you would light up take a few puffs and pass it down the line. Hell I'm a germ a phob, but not with smoking. People used to bring bongs into the show, booze, etc. Different world now because we did not try to hurt anyone by throwing shit at people or the band. Also, if you ever get a chance to see the back cover of Kiss alive 1 it is a great shot of what the concert hall used to look like. You could barley see anything when the show was over because of all the smoke in the air.

What is really weird is now days if you light up a cigarette security freaks out, and will put a flashlight on you trying to catch you smoking. I completely agree you should not expose others to tobacco smoke. Very uncool due to the toxic nature of tobacco. I admit I have done that and it is wrong and selfish too. I was on the floor at a PJ show and lit up a cigg, and security told me to put it out or leave. I said but ed's smoking why can't I smoke too? I was told the artist can do whatever they want. No worries I put it out. It was wrong and selfish of me I admit that, but shit pass the j around and let those enjoy it who want to. It's just part of the concert culture. I know it offends those who do not partake, but it is just part of the concert experience. If little kids/children are around I contain myself because...well their children and it's not right. Similar to seeing a parent smoking in car with their kids inside the car. Pisses me off cause the kids do not have a say. Same goes for animals in the car. Live and learn and do not be an asshole, and don't get pissed if it bothers someone. To get along we all have to make concessions to others. Just the way it goes if you care for others.
    Post edited by densan on
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited March 2014
    I was in the grass area at what used to be called deer creek in Noblesville, In for my first PJ show in 1998. The group of people just to my right lit up a j and passed it around. I weasled my way into their circle and managed to grab a couple hits. When the group figured out that I wasnt part if their group, they looked at me, smiled, and lit up another joint. As if to say, welcome my friend, our weed is your weed.
  • Options
    this thread derailed and i kinda love it. doucherules seems like less fun than bogartation.
    anybody know what the europe scene is like?? outside of amsterdam of course lol italy? austria? anybody know how much fun is being had in these places??
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    i wear what i want to wear to a show. if it breaks some stupid made up rule, someone can come try to take it off of me.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I'm sorry but I won't share a joint with someone I don't know until I'm done with it. I'm happy to pass down the line but not until I'm done. I don't need to try and explain to my wife how I got herpes. Nope, not at the expense of a life long infection. So share yes, but not until my lips are done touching it.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I certainly understand that concern. In college however, I wasn't as much concerned about catchinng the herps as much as I was about getting stoned.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Should there be a rule against this kind of thing:

It's 1968. You're seeing Jimi Hendrix for the first time. You're only 15 or 20 feet from the stage and the crowd is so thick you're not likely to go anywhere until the end of the show and this hefty dude next to you is flailing around like a mad man and he has this big fat stick with leather straps and beads all over it that he's pounding the floor with while screaming the whole time at the top of his lungs. You're afraid of losing a toe or an eye but you know you'll never get a better spot for the show unless you move further back from the stage. Should there be a rule or is it better that there is a story in it to be told?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hahaha it's estimated between 50% and 80% of us have the HSV1 virus so if you don't have the "herps" already (to be clear we all know it's not the same as genital herps right?) then yes by all means have your fun first but if you Got Some, send them Bugs on Down the line before they are Gone, so we can all Get Right.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited March 2014
    LOL. If someone is getting genital herpes from sharing a j you are either having wayyyyyyy to much fun in life or need to find new people to hang out with.

I always share, I just prefer to hand over a half smoked doobie when I am done then to pass it around expecting it to come back. When you hand someone a decent sized roach telling them to enjoy its also nice seeing the sparkle in their eye when they realize you aren't just letting them have a couple of tokes but giving them enough to get really lit. Why doesnt this country just fully legalize it and end the stupidty.
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    smart move really, i have seen them dissapear down the line and your left standing there saying, damn, good thing i brought two!
    the change is on the way, the wind has shifted and when the fat cats smell the greenbacks through the green, they will be lobbying congress for gas station and drive-thru sales lol!
  • Options
    OktoberRayneOktoberRayne Nevada Posts: 16

I think this is a nonsense rule made by people who believe they are too cool for school.

I definitely agree with that statement.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me...I'll hold the pain, release me"
    tumblr_mpozezmK6Z1s8nm5eo1_400.gif
  • Options
    What a stupid, moronic, absolutely dumb rule that no one under any circumstances should ever, ever follow.
  • Options
    sounds like everyone is high...... :))
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    *-:)
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004

locked said:
    That's not real.
    Ha! Not only it it real , I was third row right in front of Mikey at Hartford 2006 . Cold outdoor show. Not only was he wearing this thermal , Matt was too!
    I immediately bought one mid set and it's still in great condition , my fav PJ apparel!

"This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked said:

locked said:
    That's not real.
    Ha! Not only it it real , I was third row right in front of Mikey at Hartford 2006 . Cold outdoor show. Not only was he wearing this thermal , Matt was too!
    I immediately bought one mid set and it's still in great condition , my fav PJ apparel!

Funny, maybe you should bring a rule 19 sign to the next show.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    locked said:
    Wow that's awesome- I was at one point going to say "it's not like anyone in PJ would ever wear one of their own shirts at their show... " And I would have been very very wrong.

:-w
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
  • Options
    Show me a picture of Eddie violating rule 19......