Options

Rule 19: Never, under any circumstances, wear the t shirt of the band you are going to see

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,933
    ckravitz said:

Whenever this topic comes up am I just shocked how many people actually follow a rule from a freaking movie. Holy crap.

I know right?

I like this comment that was posted on that YouTube clip ..

"EXACTLY! That would be like wearing a team's jersey at THEIR game! LAME! You always wear a different team's jersey."
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    edited February 2014
    Cosmo said:

Sounds like I may be the only one but I 100% agree with it. Yell at me if you want to, but you simply don't wear the t shirt of the band your going to see. It's simple. You don't want to be that guy. I've been to hundreds of phish and dead shows and only 7 pj shows but those who wear the shirts of the band are notoriously mocked and the laughing stock of the fans I know.

To each his own though. Gotta say I was guilty of it once, but once feeling like an asshole was enough. I do like the guy who's like 60 wearing the band shirt, though. It's kinda sad actually, but hilarious!

Amendment: even worse is the dude who buys the shirt AT the concert and puts it on and is looking around all proud of himself! Hahahahah! L-)

Another reason why I don't go to Phish Concerts... (other than thinking their music sucks).
    Judegmental hippie fucks and Indie Hipster douchebags judging what other people are wearing and subjecting them to ridicule? They are PHISH Fans!!! Look in the fucking mirror... you are Phish Fans!!!
    Personally, i don't care what other people are wearing... and i really don't give a fuck about what other people think about me. Especially, if it were at a Phish Concert... which I will never be at... knowing there are so many judgemental assholes in attendence.
    Settle down. If you're so above judging, why judge fans of other bands so much? Oh, that's right, Ed says it as "If you hate something, don't you do it too?"

I knew people would get angry at me but it is what it is. It's a generational thing probably. I'm in my early 30's and happened to watch PCU all the time when it was on regular rotation on Comedy Central, thought it was hilarious. And the dude who thought Piven was a douche in the movie- have you seen the movie?! He steals booze and kegs from the faculty, throws huge parties with George Clinton (badass), throws meat at vegans, and rages hard- that's about as awesome as it gets! He happens to get the chick he wants and is the MAN on campus. Where'd douchebag come from in that?

Most people my age know that movie. Mos people my age who have been going to concerts for the last 20 years laugh about that EXACT line when they're at ashow and someone walks by with the band's shirt on. Does it mean one person is better than the other? Of course not. But it is funny to think that the person had 364 other days in the year to rock and show respect to the bands they like but they chose to wear it the day of the show. Go ahead and get pissed at me, I prob deserve it, but I think any band would be more psyched to see their merch on someone in line at the post office or at the grocery store than at their own gig.

Anyway, as I said before, to each his own.

Edit- and since I saw the one dude say since I'm a phish fan I must be a hippie or some crap like that I'll tell you I'm not at all a hippie and definitely not a hipster. Not even close. I just happen to enjoy their live concerts and think they're extremely talented musicians. I happen to own two restaurants and have over 70 employees who love working with me. I work over 70 hours a week and love every second of it- I even have turned several people who hate phish into avid fans, and the same for PJ. So don't go thinking anything about me because you're probably not right. I never said anything about what I thought about the person wearing the shirt, other than I thought it was hilarious, my friends mocked it, and I wouldn't do it. Sometimes going against the grain is the spice of life, people. It makes shit interesting.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I've never seen PCU and I've actually heard of this rule before the movie. But yeah, wear whatever you want.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited February 2014
    :)>-
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

Cosmo said:

Sounds like I may be the only one but I 100% agree with it. Yell at me if you want to, but you simply don't wear the t shirt of the band your going to see. It's simple. You don't want to be that guy. I've been to hundreds of phish and dead shows and only 7 pj shows but those who wear the shirts of the band are notoriously mocked and the laughing stock of the fans I know.

To each his own though. Gotta say I was guilty of it once, but once feeling like an asshole was enough. I do like the guy who's like 60 wearing the band shirt, though. It's kinda sad actually, but hilarious!

Amendment: even worse is the dude who buys the shirt AT the concert and puts it on and is looking around all proud of himself! Hahahahah! L-)

Another reason why I don't go to Phish Concerts... (other than thinking their music sucks).
    Judegmental hippie fucks and Indie Hipster douchebags judging what other people are wearing and subjecting them to ridicule? They are PHISH Fans!!! Look in the fucking mirror... you are Phish Fans!!!
    Personally, i don't care what other people are wearing... and i really don't give a fuck about what other people think about me. Especially, if it were at a Phish Concert... which I will never be at... knowing there are so many judgemental assholes in attendence.
    Settle down. If you're so above judging, why judge fans of other bands so much? Oh, that's right, Ed says it as "If you hate something, don't you do it too?"

I knew people would get angry at me but it is what it is. It's a generational thing probably. I'm in my early 30's and happened to watch PCU all the time when it was on regular rotation on Comedy Central, thought it was hilarious. And the dude who thought Piven was a douche in the movie- have you seen the movie?! He steals booze and kegs from the faculty, throws huge parties with George Clinton (badass), throws meat at vegans, and rages hard- that's about as awesome as it gets! He happens to get the chick he wants and is the MAN on campus. Where'd douchebag come from in that?

Most people my age know that movie. Mos people my age who have been going to concerts for the last 20 years laugh about that EXACT line when they're at ashow and someone walks by with the band's shirt on. Does it mean one person is better than the other? Of course not. But it is funny to think that the person had 364 other days in the year to rock and show respect to the bands they like but they chose to wear it the day of the show. Go ahead and get pissed at me, I prob deserve it, but I think any band would be more psyched to see their merch on someone in line at the post office or at the grocery store than at their own gig.

Edit- and since I saw the one dude say since I'm a phish fan I must be a hippie or some crap like that I'll tell you I'm not at all a hippie and definitely not a hipster. Not even close. I just happen to enjoy their live concerts and think they're extremely talented musicians. I happen to own two restaurants and have over 70 employees who love working with me. I work over 70 hours a week and love every second of it- I even have turned several people who hate phish into avid fans, and the same for PJ. So don't go thinking anything about me because you're probably not right. I never said anything about what I thought about the person wearing the shirt, other than I thought it was hilarious, my friends mocked it, and I wouldn't do it. Sometimes going against the grain is the spice of life, people. It makes shit interesting.

Dude,sorry to quote you twice in one thread,but your saving me a lot of typing.You should know on these boards people get real bent out of shape over fun little things.Im in my 40s and don't think I ever have gone to a concert and not had my brother,buddies or wife for that matter not break out the line from PCU.Im sorry but I'm forever ruined with the shirt of the band your going to see thing.Cant go back now.I could give 2 shits about what someone wears to a show.Have fun be that guy or gal and enjoy.I just won't and will comment accordingly.Its fun.Shit I think at least 10 times a day movie lines are quoted in our house from Caddy shack to Van Wilder to the classic lines of Big Trouble,Old School and Euro trip.
    I am also a Buisness owner and Have many employees and it is encouraged and practiced daily with our staffto break balls and keep things fun and light with great lines from movies.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I would though heap praise upon the person rocking a classic Citezen Dick shirt at a PJ show.Thats straight up classy
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

I would though heap praise upon the person rocking a classic Citezen Dick shirt at a PJ show.Thats straight up classy

Hahaha that would be great. There was a dude here in Austin rocking the "I shaved my balls for this?" shirt when PJ played ACL in '09. Awesome. I high fived him and realized the chick with him was carrying a blow up doll. Now that shit is awesome. Far better than ANY band shirt.
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

Whenever this topic comes up am I just shocked how many people actually follow a rule from a freaking movie. Holy crap.

I seriously weep for the insecurity that must be present in people that feel the need to consciously adhere to this.

Hahaha I love Fight club and I break rules 1 and 2 all the time. :D
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    i couldnt care wot people think i love the band i like wearing the t shirts ...............im happy end of lol
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Sometimes wearing a band shirt during the day of a show helps you strike up conversations with other fans while you are touring the city. I met some great friends who I only said hello to because they were wearing a PJ shirt at an airport.
  • Options
    Rule 19: Never listen to the band you are going to see on the day of the show. Especially on the ride to the concert venue. :-&
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    All kidding aside, I only adhere to one rule, don't be late to the show!
  • Options

:)) That seems like a good rule.
    I'm afraid I'm guilty violating that one. Not with pearl jam though.
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

2006 Arnhem 2007 Werchter 2009 Rotterdam 2010 Nijmegen 2010 Werchter
    2012 Amsterdam 1 2012 Amsterdam 2 2014 Amsterdam 1 2014 Amsterdam 2
    2014 Berlijn
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I'm 35, saw PCU, and liked it. But in no way, shape, or form am I going set my social rules based on it.
  • Options
    TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    Wearing band colors brings people together. Whoever said this is a bad idea is up to no good....must be a capitalist!
    I'll be wearing PJ to the Z day event in Toronto this year. I'll be sure to say hello to anyone I see wearing theirs, as well as all others of goodwill.

In joyous Part
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
  • Options
    am I the only person here that follows this rule EXCEPT for PJ shows? I feel like it's different with PJ somehow. It's a rare sight at other shows to see people wearing the band's shirt, but at PJ shows it's like half the crowd at least.
  • Options
    Treyert14Treyert14 Louisiana Posts: 924
    The first thing I do is grab my concert shirt lol
  • Options
    WhoWho Posts: 34
    edited February 2014
    ...or... you could wear the dodgy home-made pearl jam shirt with one of your favourite lyrcis stuck on the front and end up getting hug from Ed out of it...
    Post edited by Who on
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Rule no 1 : Don't be an asshole.

After that, I don't give a damn what you're wearing, band shirt or not.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

:)) That seems like a good rule.
    I'm afraid I'm guilty violating that one. Not with pearl jam though.
    You miss things like this, before the opener comes out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm3mKBgPbXg&feature=share&list=PL90180FFE0A721AA4&index=1
  • Options
    CD1083CD1083 Albany, NY Posts: 58

Thoughts?

This sounds like something teenage girls do.

• Options
    CD1083CD1083 Albany, NY Posts: 58
    ryph raph said:

Rule 19: Never listen to the band you are going to see on the day of the show. Especially on the ride to the concert venue. :-&

Why is this a rule? I can't listen to previous shows I've been to on the 3 hour drive?

Is complaining everytime Evenflow or DTE played a rule, because it seems the same people who follow the above rules are the same ones who like to have something to bitch about.

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    Not only do I love wearing PJ shirts at PJ shows but the bigger issue is choosing which of my 30+ shirts to wear LOL.
    I love seeing everyone else at a PJ show in their shirts as you see some real rare ones or ones you forgot about. It's all part of the waiting for the show, standing in line experience.
    Also, wear PJ shirts everywhere! I wore a PJ shirt to an Iron Maiden concert with pride. It was fun.
    I think the bigger rule is the band shouldn't wear shirts of their own band. That looks awkward. I forget what band it was but when I saw them walk out with their own shirts, I was embarrassed for them
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    I actually think that a PJ show is the most appropriate place ever to wear a PJ shirt.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    The only rule for concerts should be "don't bogart that joint, my friend".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    brianlux said:

The only rule for concerts should be "don't bogart that joint, my friend".

Lol! I hate that! At the Soundgarden show last year, I was in a single seat, and the dude beside me was also in a single seat. I tried having a friendly conversation with him and everything, and tried to kind of express happiness about the show at a couple points.... He wasn't into that. Well, that's cool I guess. Maybe he's shy or anti-social. But then during the show he sparked this massive joint, and made an actual point of not making any eye contact or anything the entire time he smoked it. He must have been smoking that thing for 10 minutes straight, and he didn't offer a toke to the other single right next to him! Wtf?! image Also, how high can you possibly get?! I could smell that it was good BC bud. I don't care how chronic you are, no one needs to smoke that much all by themselves at one go! image
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited February 2014

Cosmo said:

Ummmm... it was a joke... you know, a joke, 'Ha-ha'... joke, right?
    And you are the one that said you were felt to be an asshole... for what... wearing a Phish t-shirt at a Phish concert? And by who... were they all fellow restaurant owners with 70 employees who work 70+ hours a week... or were they judgemental assholes at a concert that ridiculed you to the point that you actually changed to meet their requirements on what you and other people should and shouldn't wear? You have even admitted that you became one of those people who make fun of what other people wear. Isn't that more of a reflection of who you are... than who I am?
    Also... you know that Situation guy on 'Jersey Shore'... I'll bet he is also the type who would steal booze and kegs from the faculty, throw huge parties with George Clinton (badass), throws meat at vegans and rages hard. He also sounds like the type of person that would walk into one of your restaurants, order an expensive meal, including a bottle of wine... then, stiff your waitress by skipping out without paying the bill. Awesome... I guess.
    And again.. don't take shit too seriously. Don't give a shit what any tool tells you should or shouldn't wear... anywhere. And don't take shit posted on a message board too seriously, either. You shouldn't care that i think it is an asshole move to make fun of people simply because they do not meet your requirement (which is founded in a movie... a movie!) on what to wear... to me, personally... it sounds a lot more like High School bullshit than what 30somethings should have learned by now. Just keep on being your bad self.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    edit.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Let me add... I go to some gigs from time to time. I see a lot of different t-shirts at these gigs. I like seeing some of them because some of them just look cool. I don't care what band is on it. If I like it, i like it. I'm to the point were i just wear what I'm wearing to a gig.... it might be a plain t-shirt or one of my hundreds of Breast Cancer Walk shirts or simple, whatever shrit doesn't smell funky.
    And I certanly love seeing a person at a Soundgarden gig is wearing a Soundgarden shirt from 1992... or someone at a Pearl Jam show wearing a Mr. Point shirt... just like I don't care what they look like or if they dance or don't dance... because.. i guess... no one granted my the power to determine the proper dress code and standard behaviour at the gigs. For me, i say let your freak flag fly... follow whatever off-beat drum is drumming in your head.... wear your Creed shirt proudly (if that's your thing)... be yourself... express yourself in whatever manner you choose because I don't care about any of that other shit that doesn't really matter. You are here for the live music experience, right? That is the matter at hand.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Fair enough. On this issue there's no right or wrong, just wear whatever the hell you want to. I know because I got shit on by everyone I was with when I wore my yield shirt to the show in Montreal in 98, I'm forever ruined, and will always wear a random. Shirt or a different band's shirt to a show. I find it funny how myself and like 3 others were the only ones to speak up and say we thought it was something you shouldn't do, but there's been like 1500 views on this thread.... Don't make me feel alone people! :)