Options

chad's opinion thread

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    KISS was my first concert when I was 12-ish. I loved their music at the time; it was part of that era of my life.

I haven't read Gene's comments about this - I don't need or want to - but apparently they've been pretty vile. If so, shame on him. More than shame.

Yes, Robin was/is beloved. How many people can touch, in such a positive way, so many others?

Too few.

I saw a sweet Twitter shot posted somewhere of Syrian rebels (noted as the "good kind") holding up a sheet with a quote from Aladdin, offering their condolences on his death. If I can find it, I'll post it. Very touching, and a(nother) nice balance to public comments like Gene's.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,797
    I didn't like RW's later work so much but was a big fan of his early stuff and he was a great guy. Very sad for his family.

Simmons is a dickhead - almost ran me over one time in the parking lot @ The Palladium in LA as I was walking into a Primus show. He came out and played with The Melvins, who also played @ the Palladium that night. Was awful. Primus was awesome and it was the first out of about 9-10 times I have seen them. My buddies didn't believe me when I told them some asshole in a Range Rover almost hit me and then honked at me. I glared at the driver and could have sworn it was Gene Simmons as he drove into the lot. Sure enough when he came onstage they believed me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    F Me - jeesh! Funny and horrifying at the same time.

chadwick, this is what I mentioned earlier:

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Chad, ever have one of these days?

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    nope never have had any days like that. you?
    http://youtu.be/jMo_HcRBnUY

my days are more like this
    http://youtu.be/0y8gXZOYmgs

or this
    http://youtu.be/XwTzBVhlurE

maybe this
    http://youtu.be/NFR-ADakI-c

yeah days like this one too
    http://youtu.be/pddSWlj_BVU
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    =))
    Can't say that I have either!
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgCYLTojay8#t=56

that lawnmower guy improved his technique
  • Options
    yes that is a perfect hedge trimmer

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,797
    Lawnmower guy is my hero of the week.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,652
    Chadwick-

I recently read of a local dude who was arrested for domestic abuse. He beat his gf and also threw her "pet raccoon" against a wall. I did not realize people had pet raccoons. What do you think of having one for a pet? Same question for pot bellied pigs, ferrets and monkeys.

Thanks for your time.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

Chadwick-

I recently read of a local dude who was arrested for domestic abuse. He beat his gf and also threw her "pet raccoon" against a wall. I did not realize people had pet raccoons. What do you think of having one for a pet? Same question for pot bellied pigs, ferrets and monkeys.

Thanks for your time.

That is so funny yet so wrong (if the CDV part is true)
  • Options
    we helped rehabilitate a raccoon that was somehow just knocked silly with bumps & bruises from a fucking train. some inmates on a prison farm found the little guy knocked senseless & they rescued the raccoon & someone called dad that night to see if he wanted to come pick the raccoon up. anyway. the raccoon stayed in a enclosure out under a maple tree. finally he was good to go & he was on his way.

the guy beating his girl friend & throwing her friend raccoon against a wall should be beat & thrown against a wall. hopefully she has brothers or male friends or a father that can have a discussion with this idiot.

movie - the great outdoors. raccoons scene. that was good

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    A Ballard man was charged with assaulting a woman and throwing her raccoon against a wall.

The 41-year-old man was charged Friday in 8th District Court with domestic violence assault, a third-degree felony, and cruelty to an animal, a class-B misdemeanor.

The evening of July 14 an officer arrived at a home near 1900 N. 1500 East, where a woman told him that she and the man had been in a fight, according to the probable cause statement. The man had called her by his ex-wife’s name, and when she asked him about that, he allegedly grabbed her by her arms and threw her into a wall, according to the statement.

She collapsed to the floor and after they continued to argue, the woman’s pet raccoon hissed at the man, so he grabbed the animal by its collar and threw it into a back room, hitting the wall, the statement adds.

The woman eventually left, went to her ex-husband’s motor home and was taken to the emergency room, according to the statement. She told investigators that she suffered two or three broken ribs.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Chad,

What's your opinion on the following (from the Boy Scout Troop 780 -- Dunn, N.C., website)?
    Ax Safety

Because of its size and the way in which it is used, an ax can be more dangerous than other wood tools. Remove the sheath only when you are prepared to use your ax correctly. Give it your full attention.

Safe tool.

An ax must be sharp and in top condition. If the head is loose, soak the ax for a few hours in a stream or a bucket of Linseed oil (Tip thanks to Jeff Starks, Troop 24 ). The wood in the head will swell, and the handle will be tight for a while. Linseed Oil or Flax Seed Oil doesn't dry out as quickly as water, thus making it safer. When you are home, drive a wedge into the wood in the head, or replace the worn handle with a new one.

Safe shoes.

Always wear sturdy leather boots when you are chopping with an ax. Leather won't stop a blade from hitting your foot, but good boots may limit the extent of an injury.

Safe working area.

You must have plenty of room in which to swing an ax. Check your clearance by holding your ax by the head. Slowly swing the handle at arm's length all around you and over your head. Remove any brush or branches that the handle touches. While you are cutting, be certain other people stay at least 10 feet away.

In a long-term camp using lots of firewood, rope off an ax yard large enough to provide the clearance you need to work. Enter the yard only to chop and saw wood. Allow just one person at a time in the ax yard. Clean up the chips, bark, and other debris of cutting.

Safe technique.

Chopping branches off a downed log is called limbing. Stand on the right side of the log opposite a branch. Chop close to the base of the branch, driving the ax into the underside of the limb. Keep the log between you and your cuts. If the ax misses a branch, the blade will hit the log rather than your leg.

Bucking a log means cutting through it. Stand beside the log with your feet shoulders'-width apart. Hold the ax with one hand near the head and then slide your hands together as you swing the bit into the log. Let the falling weight of the ax do most of the work. Slide your hand back down the handle to the head. Lift it and swing again. Aim your strokes so that you cut a V shaped notch twice as wide at the top as the log is thick.

Learn to switch-hit with your ax. As you cut on the right side of a notch let you right hand slide on the ax handle. Switch your grip and slide your left hand up the handle as you work from the left side of a notch. Develop a relaxing easy rhythm, switching hands after each blow.

Cutting small sticks and splitting large chunks of wood known as rounds are best done on a chopping block, which is a piece of log that has been sawed and turned upright to provide a flat surface. It should be about 2 feet high so that you won't have to lean down much as you work. A chopping block is important for safety too. If you swing your ax badly, the bit will probably hit the block instead of flying on toward your feet.

To split a large round of wood, stand it upright on a chopping block. Swing the ax as you would to buck a log, driving the bit into the end of the round. If the wood doesn't split, remove the ax before swinging it again. Do not swing an ax with a piece of wood wedged on the bit.

Safe carrying.

Safe Axe Carrying TechniquePlace a sheath over an ax blade whenever it is not in use. Carry an ax at your side with one hand, the blade turned out from your body. If you stumble, toss the ax away from you as you fall. Never carry an ax over your shoulder.

Safe storage.

Sheathe your ax and store it under the dining fly or in a tent. On the trail, a sheathed ax can be tied or strapped to the outside of your pack.

Safe handling.

To pass an ax to another person, hold the handle near the knob with the head down. Pass the ax with the bit facing out at right angles between you and the other person. When your partner has a grip on the handle, he should say, "Thank you." That's your signal to release your hold.

Sharpening an Ax

Keep your ax sharp with a mill bastard file 8 or 10 inches long. The lines across the face of the file are the teeth. They angle away from the point, or tang. A sharp file will be a drab gray color. A silvery shine means a file has broken teeth that won't sharpen very well.

Whenever you sharpen with a file, wear leather gloves to protect your hands. Also, make a knuckle guard from a 3-inch square of leather, plywood, or an old inner tube. Cut a small hole in the center of the guard. Slip it over the tank and hold it in place with a file handle. Buy a handle at a hardware store or make one from a piece of wood or a corn cob.

Brace the ax head on the ground between a small log and two wooden pegs or tent stakes. Another Scout can help hold the ax handle steady. Place the file on the edge of the blade and push it into the bit. Use enough pressure so that you feel the file cutting the ax metal.

Lift the file as you draw it back for another stroke. A file sharpens only when you push it away from the tang. Dragging the file across the blade on the return will break off the teeth and ruin the file.

Sharpen with firm, even strokes. After you have filed one side of the bit from heel to toe, turn the ax around and do the other side. Under bright light a dull edge reflects light. Continue to file until the edge seems to disappear. Filing can leave a tiny curl of metal called a burr on the edge of the bit. Remove the burr by honing the bit with a whetstone just as you would the blade of a pocketknife.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    damn. those boy scouts sure can handle the old ax. none of my axes never have had sheaths. i carry a ax on my shoulder or at my side or however. sometimes when chopping wood & the ax blade is in a round sometimes i'll bring the round up & come back down on the chopping round standing there. i sleep with a unsheathed ax under my bed & (nearly ninja swords) big ass knives hidden all over my house, several within reach as i zzzzz

im not a very good boy scout & neither is someone else i know on here

never leave your ax out by the woodpile on the ground. it can snow & ice over freezing the ax in its place w/ the business end facing the sky. becareful walking on ice near this blade. when young my brother dut learned how this works out for a kid & his head.

apparently boy scouts are pretty careful

http://youtu.be/tMpGdG27K9o

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    omfg....Rocky Raccoon steps in like a hero to stop some domestic violence and gets thrown around. I love Chad's prescription for the dickbag who did this.

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    dankind said:

Chad,

What's your opinion on the following (from the Boy Scout Troop 780 -- Dunn, N.C., website)?

Ax Safety

Because of its size and the way in which it is used, an ax can be more dangerous than other wood tools. Remove the sheath only when you are prepared to use your ax correctly. Give it your full attention.

Safe tool.

An ax must be sharp and in top condition. If the head is loose, soak the ax for a few hours in a stream or a bucket of Linseed oil (Tip thanks to Jeff Starks, Troop 24 ). The wood in the head will swell, and the handle will be tight for a while. Linseed Oil or Flax Seed Oil doesn't dry out as quickly as water, thus making it safer. When you are home, drive a wedge into the wood in the head, or replace the worn handle with a new one.

Safe shoes.

Always wear sturdy leather boots when you are chopping with an ax. Leather won't stop a blade from hitting your foot, but good boots may limit the extent of an injury.

Safe working area.

You must have plenty of room in which to swing an ax. Check your clearance by holding your ax by the head. Slowly swing the handle at arm's length all around you and over your head. Remove any brush or branches that the handle touches. While you are cutting, be certain other people stay at least 10 feet away.

In a long-term camp using lots of firewood, rope off an ax yard large enough to provide the clearance you need to work. Enter the yard only to chop and saw wood. Allow just one person at a time in the ax yard. Clean up the chips, bark, and other debris of cutting.

Safe technique.

Chopping branches off a downed log is called limbing. Stand on the right side of the log opposite a branch. Chop close to the base of the branch, driving the ax into the underside of the limb. Keep the log between you and your cuts. If the ax misses a branch, the blade will hit the log rather than your leg.

Bucking a log means cutting through it. Stand beside the log with your feet shoulders'-width apart. Hold the ax with one hand near the head and then slide your hands together as you swing the bit into the log. Let the falling weight of the ax do most of the work. Slide your hand back down the handle to the head. Lift it and swing again. Aim your strokes so that you cut a V shaped notch twice as wide at the top as the log is thick.

Learn to switch-hit with your ax. As you cut on the right side of a notch let you right hand slide on the ax handle. Switch your grip and slide your left hand up the handle as you work from the left side of a notch. Develop a relaxing easy rhythm, switching hands after each blow.

Cutting small sticks and splitting large chunks of wood known as rounds are best done on a chopping block, which is a piece of log that has been sawed and turned upright to provide a flat surface. It should be about 2 feet high so that you won't have to lean down much as you work. A chopping block is important for safety too. If you swing your ax badly, the bit will probably hit the block instead of flying on toward your feet.

To split a large round of wood, stand it upright on a chopping block. Swing the ax as you would to buck a log, driving the bit into the end of the round. If the wood doesn't split, remove the ax before swinging it again. Do not swing an ax with a piece of wood wedged on the bit.

Safe carrying.

Safe Axe Carrying TechniquePlace a sheath over an ax blade whenever it is not in use. Carry an ax at your side with one hand, the blade turned out from your body. If you stumble, toss the ax away from you as you fall. Never carry an ax over your shoulder.

Safe storage.

Sheathe your ax and store it under the dining fly or in a tent. On the trail, a sheathed ax can be tied or strapped to the outside of your pack.

Safe handling.

To pass an ax to another person, hold the handle near the knob with the head down. Pass the ax with the bit facing out at right angles between you and the other person. When your partner has a grip on the handle, he should say, "Thank you." That's your signal to release your hold.

Sharpening an Ax

Keep your ax sharp with a mill bastard file 8 or 10 inches long. The lines across the face of the file are the teeth. They angle away from the point, or tang. A sharp file will be a drab gray color. A silvery shine means a file has broken teeth that won't sharpen very well.

Whenever you sharpen with a file, wear leather gloves to protect your hands. Also, make a knuckle guard from a 3-inch square of leather, plywood, or an old inner tube. Cut a small hole in the center of the guard. Slip it over the tank and hold it in place with a file handle. Buy a handle at a hardware store or make one from a piece of wood or a corn cob.

Brace the ax head on the ground between a small log and two wooden pegs or tent stakes. Another Scout can help hold the ax handle steady. Place the file on the edge of the blade and push it into the bit. Use enough pressure so that you feel the file cutting the ax metal.

Lift the file as you draw it back for another stroke. A file sharpens only when you push it away from the tang. Dragging the file across the blade on the return will break off the teeth and ruin the file.

Sharpen with firm, even strokes. After you have filed one side of the bit from heel to toe, turn the ax around and do the other side. Under bright light a dull edge reflects light. Continue to file until the edge seems to disappear. Filing can leave a tiny curl of metal called a burr on the edge of the bit. Remove the burr by honing the bit with a whetstone just as you would the blade of a pocketknife.
    I think Rob should heed some of these excellent axe handling tips...*snicker*
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    RKCNDY said:

dankind said:

Chad,

Ax Safety

Safe tool.

Safe shoes.

Safe working area.

Safe technique.

Safe carrying.

Safe storage.

Safe handling.

Sharpening an Ax

I think Rob should heed some of these excellent axe handling tips...*snicker*
    I was thinking the same thing!!
    X_X
  • Options
    Chad-

there's a thread about doing the loud, fingers in mouth whistle. Can you do it? Somehow, I'd be shocked if you couldn't.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    imalive,

be shocked, sir. be very, very shocked. i am sorry if this makes you sad, irritated, depressed or confused. i can't whistle w/ fingers in my face but can whistle w/out fingers in my face but the whistles aint loud

edit - well apparently i can finger whistle. so don't be sad, irritated, depressed or confused

http://youtu.be/W9whU261wEE
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Chad, what are your thoughts on byrnzie being banned? What are your thought if the mods using banning as a tool to censor paid customers?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,746
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    last 12 exit,

i like byrnzie a lot, he's wonderful. i can't say much because i'll be banned for life myself as i've been banned before for short timeouts - much longer timeouts. i can't even answer your question in full out of fear

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    23scidoo,

holy frig, man! with a name like 'xenophon zolotas' many should be confused & scared. honestly i have no idea. im always alarmed by folks with a X as the first letter of their name. or the second, third or fourth letter of their name being X. i walk as swiftly as i can (which is slow still) to hide from them. im like a deer now in this moment of mr. X, also known as, xenophon zolotas. spooked, freaked out, shy, & on high alert... hypervigilant if you will

http://youtu.be/iPxwCUC7mG0

oddly enough i was pronouncing his name correctly

http://youtu.be/lDodqddV5os

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

last 12 exit,

i like byrnzie a lot, he's wonderful. i can't say much because i'll be banned for life myself as i've been banned before for short timeouts - much longer timeouts. i can't even answer your question in full out of fear

wow @-) byrnzie got banned? I didn't know that. He is a shit stirrer for sure but that's about the only thing that goes on in the moving train. If the mods don't want shit stirring, they need to do away with the MT (not my preference). But really, no one ever changes their political views in a message forum.

Bigger issue? This place NEEDS shit stirrers! free byrnzie!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:

wrong place..sorry chad
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Dear Chad,

What do you think of Mick Dodge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o7UzYDQtmM

If you hadn't posted your picture here already, I would have sworn this was you...maybe he is a cousin of yours?

Thank-you kindly for your response.
    RK
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    i would like to be like that off & on. you know, take breaks from sleeping in a bed, having a nice little home, things like this. he is one earthy fucker. he's tough. in the winter he sleeps in a big hole under this big ass tree, like among roots. warm in there w/ his primative little fire heating source. he is a cousin, yes i think so. how about buck ass naked showers under a waterfall out there in some lost cool & crisp rainforest? good stuff. i used to bring a gallon of it home everytime i went up to lake quinault, a short drive & perfect

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

Dear Chad,

What do you think of Mick Dodge?

RK

I know this is Chad's opinion thread and not mine......but I think Mick Dodge is a scripted reality show. Can either of you convince me otherwise?

Chad, you may as well weigh in on reality TV while you're at it.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16