Jason Isbell

1232425262729»

Comments

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,730
    yeah, he' been saying it for years and his shows keep getting bigger.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    Don’t want to derail thread and I haven’t really ventured into his music! But I found it interesting that he basically stated that if you don’t like his political stance he’d rather not have you as a fan, I’m paraphrasing but it was along those lines
    It's performance art around what everyone already knows: very few people will stop engaging with an artist strictly over politics. If they were a fan in the first place anyway. You see it with Pearl Jam - some fans have been bitching about their politics for 30 years but can't quit the shows, music, merch.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,788
    Don’t want to derail thread and I haven’t really ventured into his music! But I found it interesting that he basically stated that if you don’t like his political stance he’d rather not have you as a fan, I’m paraphrasing but it was along those lines
    Yeah, Drive By Truckers took this stance, especially after their classic American Band album (super underrated).

Some people in the audience didn’t quite like the messages and Patterson told them not kindly to leave. First time I saw them was 2016 just after the election and their show/comments were much appreciated. Basically, this is who we are, this is what we play, and if you don’t like it, that’s okay to leave.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,680
    His quote was: 

And if it runs some people off — I’m going to tell you, this might not sound like the truth here, but it is — if it runs people off, I would like them to go.

I don’t want people out there who are going to make it uncomfortable for the rest of my audience. And if you’re not open to hearing what I have to say, then you’re probably not going to be open to somebody standing by you who is different from you, and that’s not the kind of room I want to be in. I don’t care how big it is or how many tickets I’ve sold.”

From the part in bold, I don't think he is completely against having fans with different view points from him, but is against fans who are belligerent and confrontational about it, especially if it is directed towards other fans.

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,730
    Jason is also great at picking women, people of color and people from the LGBTQ community to open for him. He walks the walk. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,554
    It’s more if you don’t like him voicing his politics, then he doesn’t need you as a fan (as those type of people tend to complain about shutting up and play), because he’s just gonna keep doing it
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Obviously he makes public statements so everyone knows where he stands, but the overwhelming majority of his music does a great job of doing the job without beating you over the head with it. Seems like he had a song per album thats pretty blunt. Those are coincidentally some of my least favorite songs of his, because he typically does such a great job of getting his point across with his storytelling. 

I do appreciate that such songs get people to tell on themselves more than the subtler stuff. 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,788
    Totally get that. Love Isbell and DBT!
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 553
    edited August 27
    Post edited by DE4173 on
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth