Options

New forum discussion here!

Comments

• Options
    I certainly spend far less time here after the update... I can't look at this screen for very long... its very hard on the eyes (And I stare at a computer screen for 8hrs a day as a job). I notice now that I have to sign in multiple times - on the site and on the forum are two different log ins? But the same username and password... And when I try to log into the forum, I've had to do it twice to get it to stick. I remember reading people had log in issues on the old forum, but I never did... And now its "fixed" and Im having log in issues. 8-|

Does anyone else find it funny that they're willing to outsource their forum management to accommodate higher traffic, which was never even once mentioned as an issue by the users, yet they are not willing to outsource their ticket sales which has been suggested by many fanclub members who have had issues with tickets over the years? Lets fix whats not broken. %-(
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options

I certainly spend far less time here after the update... I can't look at this screen for very long... its very hard on the eyes (And I stare at a computer screen for 8hrs a day as a job). I notice now that I have to sign in multiple times - on the site and on the forum are two different log ins? But the same username and password... And when I try to log into the forum, I've had to do it twice to get it to stick. I remember reading people had log in issues on the old forum, but I never did... And now its "fixed" and Im having log in issues.

(

If you log in on the home page (pearljam.com), when you come to the forum all you have to do is click log in and you're done (yes, it logs you in without having to type anything). I think some of these problems are self propogated to somehow prove a point. It's actually EASIER to log in now. I log in on the home page, then click log in when I come here. If I'm on my home computer (or phone), I'm pretty much permanently logged in, so i don't have to do anything (or, I think at most I only have to do the 2nd part at the forum page - i.e. click, but I don't remember the last time in this past week I had to do that).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Havent had to log in here once since the site changed.,

and the one time the ticket sales went to crowdsurge it was an absolute disaster, so that's perfectly understandable.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    know1 said:

paul,they just modarating the forum for suggestions.
    they dont running the forum anymore,,a third pary does,nothing to do with the 10c people working for tours and merch orders or answering emails..
    nothing fixed so far except the edit button and the birthdays of members than noone cant see..
    i dont expect anything else to be fixed..
    that doesnt mean ill keep my mouth shut,and dont ask questions.
    and i have alot them,a few pages back

We get it. You don't like it. No need to keep saying the same things over and over. Plus, if your eyes are hurting it's likely because you spend far too much time here.
    i doint care what you get,and ill post as many post i want about it..you got that doctor??
    as many i want..im not gonna ask anyones permition..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    Question is, who the fuck knows what's going on here. Did anyone even see this coming? For me at least it was just- wake up one morning, log in to 10C and WTF is this?? I hated it from the get go, I hate it now. The format sucks and pretty much everyone agrees with that. I keep seeing "Get it time" or"We'll get used to it". Isn't that how the world is? Don't we eventually just accept what's thrown at us and lay down like pathetic dogs?

Sorry if I sound too negative about this but, fuck me, if I said something someone doesn't want to hear.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Question is, who the fuck knows what's going on here. Did anyone even see this coming? For me at least it was just- wake up one morning, log in to 10C and WTF is this?? I hated it from the get go, I hate it now. The format sucks and pretty much everyone agrees with that. I keep seeing "Get it time" or"We'll get used to it". Isn't that how the world is? Don't we eventually just accept what's thrown at us and lay down like pathetic dogs?

Sorry if I sound too negative about this but, fuck me, if I said something someone doesn't want to hear.

I agree that I think part of the angst is it was announced the morning they did it with no other information (e.g. save your PMs). However, having seens stuff like this before, what's the benefit to them announcing a week ago - changes coming in a week? So, they could have a thread that conjectured what would suck about the change or demand certain things? If it was just the save your PMs, then maybe they would have done an earlier announcement. But, other than that, what did the short notification cost us the user? And by extension, what did it save them?

Change is never well received. Notice of change even less so.

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,901

Cant believe people are joining facebook, its got a white background and everything :))

Say whaaa?!?! It's the same thing. But wait. The text is smaller here. That might be a problem. hmm .. I wonder. I wonder if folks know about the Ctrl + or Ctrl - buttons on their keyboards? Buttons that makes the text on their screen bigger / smaller. It's like magic!!

One thing new I noticed is now I don't need to log in twice. Before I had to log into my pearljam.com account then sign into the forum again. Now, I'll fully logged in. Ah yeah!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Yeah, the font size is the major problem, at least for me. I don't dig the teal/ turquiose, but I can live with that. When Kat made the announcement thread I was asking if we should save our pms. They came in handy in the past for my immigration process, for example. I didn't lose any, I think. But nobody said save your pms, as far as I know. Not so cool.
  • Options
    in other words..
    some members lost their user names,some not,some lost pm ,some found pm they already delete 10 years ago,some need to log in twice to get here and the shop and their acount,some never need to log in again..
    so that transfer was peak a boo game after all with no quarantee anything..
    if they warn us,i would save my pm atleast..was online when this happen,i clik to a forum and saw this:

Information

Please stand by for a change in our forums! The new Pearl Jam forums will have new features we think you'll love. There will be an adjustment period while we all learn how to navigate around, discover the new features and how things work. Happy New Year
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    brianlux said:

It was a rather sudden punch in the face, wasnt it?
    I keep coming back, hoping they will go back to the old or maybe I will grow accustomed to this enough to want to come and connect with my friends all over the map. Unfortunately, it seems as though its here to stay and I'm not getting any more used to it. It really sucks, but as I keep saying, I assume someone at 10C will get a report at some point that participation in the forums is down. There must be traffic stats.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    .Ctrl +/- changes font size sure, but then the "page size" increases. So, if I make the text bigger, then I have to scroll to the right to read the full message. That's not a good work-around. A good website shouldn't even need work-arounds anyway.

Actually, I have to scroll no matter what, with the new website designed for a fixed-screen resolution, instead of being designed for adjusting to 100% screen size. This mainly due to the fact that the Categories etc at left really take up too much valuable space.

And showing who is online with mini-avatars instead of the old list of usernames at bottom is pretty stupid too. Like I can tell who is who by looking at a microscopic photo, that many users probably change often anyway.
  • Options

brianlux said:

I agree that I think part of the angst is it was announced the morning they did it with no other information (e.g. save your PMs). However, having seens stuff like this before, what's the benefit to them announcing a week ago - changes coming in a week? So, they could have a thread that conjectured what would suck about the change or demand certain things? If it was just the save your PMs, then maybe they would have done an earlier announcement. But, other than that, what did the short notification cost us the user? And by extension, what did it save them?

Change is never well received. Notice of change even less so.

I guess the short (or lack of) notification is what Jonny Pistachio just referred to as "a punch in the face", which is sort of how it felt. As far as what we have lost- for many of us it is what I listed elsewhere- the new format is more difficult to read, it is not as inviting, it is more difficult to navigate. And for what reason? So iPhone users can post quite little one or two word blips of the screen?

I know you're trying to be helpful here, Edson, and sooner or later we have to either accept the changes or just bow out. With all the bitching I've been doing on here I'm guessing the latter has a strong chance of winning out for me. I too am tired of hearing myself complain.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ceska said:

.Ctrl +/- changes font size sure, but then the "page size" increases. So, if I make the text bigger, then I have to scroll to the right to read the full message. That's not a good work-around. A good website shouldn't even need work-arounds anyway.

Actually, I have to scroll no matter what, with the new website designed for a fixed-screen resolution, instead of being designed for adjusting to 100% screen size. This mainly due to the fact that the Categories etc at left really take up too much valuable space.

And showing who is online with mini-avatars instead of the old list of usernames at bottom is pretty stupid too. Like I can tell who is who by looking at a microscopic photo, that many users probably change often anyway.

im at 125% zoom all this days at the forum..,while all the rest pages are at 100%..yeah,facebook too,is at 100%,even some says its white too..
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    Lets bring some positivity back, I like how I can click on a thread title and the page will load straight to the new posts
    No more trying to read through pages and pages to see where the last post was
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    edited January 2014
    That was kind of possible before, there was a "first unread post" option on the top right..
  • Options

That was kind of possible before, there was a "first unread post" option on the top right..

YEP
  • Options
    It's cool that people are trying to be positive about the new forum- positive is good, only thing is the new forum isn't and we pay to make it happen so if the majority doesn't like it well... there you go.

• Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946

Oh right, my bad. Never noticed it on the old site. Still, its good this does it straight from the title :)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Just...change...the...white...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    People were passing around a link to instructions for changing the colours and stuff on Firefox, but I don't know where it is. Can anyone help? Thank you! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    one_maniacone_maniac Posts: 5
    edited January 2014
    Extremely painful to read . Teal and white don't work. Small font doesn't help with all the white. I left commenting on this for a while but the colour combo is really quite brutal.

And, yes, it is sad that this is what first drove me to post here.
  • Options

Extremely painful to read . Teal and white don't work. Small font doesn't help with all the white. I left commenting on this for a while but the colour combo is really quite brutal.

And, yes, it is sad that this is what first drove me to post here.

Couldn't agree more! I think this thing was put together by the optometrist department at Walmart hoping for more customers.

And can we at least get back the old emoticons instead of these DORKY third grade smilies?

• Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    PJ_Soul said:

People were passing around a link to instructions for changing the colours and stuff on Firefox, but I don't know where it is. Can anyone help? Thank you! :)

Search for the forum topic with the word 'malarky' in the title .... first post will give you the instructions. Good luck.

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Is there a way to post smilies that are intended for use by anyone over the age of eight?

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228722/enough-of-this-malarky-forum-fix-for-firefox/p1
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,759
    brianlux said:

Is there a way to post smilies that are intended for use by anyone over the age of eight?

Those exist?

350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    The search feature is not working then?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options

brianlux said:

Those exist?

Well sort of like... ":-)" hahaha

Yeah, I agree smilies are sort of dumb anyway EXCEPT they can add some nuamces that are missing here. Only something like 7% of communication is words. The rest is tone of voice, body language and facial expression. At least smilies add some semblance of facial expression but, seriously, does this help with adult communication:

:O)

or this?

:o3

• Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    SOLAT319 said:

nope. and it's one of the most important features on a message board.

did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

SOLAT319 said:

nope. and it's one of the most important features on a message board.

bingo

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com