Options

NYC shows.... NY residents should be FIRST

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    damn, this is embarassing. seriously. BIG cities with big shows = this ALWAYS happens, people miss out. doing a 'hometown seniority' show just isn't feasible, where do you draw the line, especially for a place like NYC? or how about areas that NEVER get 'hometown' shows? seriously. this is ALL due to TM limits on fanclub seats. that's IT. gone are the days of unlimited 10c tix, and this is the result. you cannot 'blame' people for traveling to shows, etc. haven't most if not all of us traveled to catch a few shows? and in regards to actually getting access to tix based on seniority...yikes! not even touching it. just glad pj/10c isn't THAT elitist and realizes the love and value in ALL fans, old and new alike. we ALL support pearl jam...period.

still want to say, there are PLENTY of NYers who are happy to see so many flock to the city and share in the love. i AM sorry for those shut out of 10c tix, i truly am. i wish all good luck scoring 10c spares and/or tix thru TM.

jrd - happy you're making the trip across the pond! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    You've been saying to wait for the general onsale... yet here you are trying to buy someone's ticket pair in this topic: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=278505

If you believe it so, then why not wait for the onsale for you and your girlfriend? Why would a fan sell BOTH his tickets for a show to you?

And to the naysayers above. I'm not ripping on Europeans, or Australians or whomever. I like that these people come to NYC and enjoy. I just do not like that I did not get FAN tickets in my own HOMETOWN because they ate them all up.

Allow me to explain it in your terms.... if they played in your trailer park and you couldn't get tickets because all of the other trailer parks in the county took them, wouldn't you be mad?

If you took the time to actually read what I wrote, this response would not be necessary. Thanks for posting a link to my thread, you know, the one I already explained in THIS thread. Nowhere am I saying I don't want good seats. If I can get 10C seats, right on. I will be one happy fan. But if I have to resort to getting general on-sale tickets, I will be fine.

And I fully explained why someone MIGHT sell me 2 10C tickets. I've seen it happen all the time: a group of fanclub members all get tickets, they consolidate based on best seats/etc, and then they sell extras. For the love of god, read before you respond.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Stryker420 wrote:
    I do agree that home state fans should have priority in conjunction with seniority, though.

I got tickets , but this is a very true statement.
  • Options
    I got tickets , but this is a very true statement.

seriously....why?
    what makes one more *deserving*....?
    your seniority grants you better seats, is that not enough? even with the added tweak this tour of a couple of random rows....overall, seniority STILL guarantees better seats based on the length of your membership. on TOP of that, now you want first ACCESS? holy fuck, that 5-10 dollars for a couple years more than some of us equates THAT much more privilege? sweet bejeebus! beyond that, i do NOT believe in hometown seniority, at all. i could definitely see getting to pick ONE show for your 'best' seniority, but not hometown. why? b/c how does a place like NYC come up with a hometown? just manhattanites....or NYers? what about people in jersey or CT who live HOURS closer than someone up in buffalo? what about fans in states, or hell countries that NEVER or rarely get shows? damn folks....a little perspective, and also a bit more sharing of the love perhaps?

and yes...i AM a NYer, born and raised here, although not a manhattanite....and yes, i scored for both nights. however, i have also traveled ALL over for pj shows, with 10c tix. so it goes both ways, as well it should.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    I've been a Tenclub member for years, this is the first time I was able to purchase tickets for a NYC area show. The same thing happened to me, at 11AM I tried to purchase the tickets for the 24th and the site kept crashing. I gave up after a while, when 2PM rolled around I opened up two different web browsers on my computer and went to the site and kept hitting refresh. The site again kept crashing, finally after about 50 tries it finally worked. I finally got the tickets, I'm very psyched.

It reminds of 1996, Pearl Jam was selling their tickets for the two Randall's Island shows via two numbers (before internet, for most at least). One number was for the September 28th show, and the other for the September 29th show. I kept calling when they went on sale but kept getting a busy signal, so I kept dialing both numbers and hitting the redial button. I finally got through and got the tickets secured via the automated system, the problem was I did not recall which number I called as I dialed both literally hundreds of times before getting through.

So I took no chances, on September 28th I went to the ticket office trailer for the show in the Yankee stadium parking lot, which is where I found out I had tickets for the next night's show (September 29th). I was a little dejected as it's a long drive from Monmouth County to Yankee stadium, one of the guys who was in charge of the ticket company PJ was using happened to over hear my conversation with the ticket agent and walked up to me as I was walking back to my car, he put his arm on my shoulder and said "don't worry, tomorrow's show will be way better. Trust me".

To this day I wonder who this guy was exactly, did he work for PJ. He was 100% right, September 29th 1996 was hands down the best PJ show I have ever been too. It was also my first PJ show, and I'm very grateful I happened to be at that show as I met up with several friends there to which we all had an awesome time.

BTW. I'm in New Jersey, but I'm born in NYC :)

This will be the second time I'm seeing PJ at MSG, my first time was 9-10-98. I saw the Breath signs which Ed commented about, but missed it by a day. They did do a pretty funny bit about the Ken Star files. For that MSG show I had good floor seats, towards the back of the floor section. I bought the seats through a ticket vendor in New Jersey, they are everywhere and perfectly legal so long as the show is outside of New Jersey. I went on the 10th vs the 11th because the seats I could buy were better, I had a great view.

Check out various ticket vendors in NJ, besides Stub-hub. You can get amazing seats, might cost a little more but still great seats.

Good luck.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    hatnhamhatnham Oak Ridge, NJ Posts: 35
    Non stop flights to Tampa are only $229 leaving the 12th and returning the next day, road trip!! With my 138xxx I'll be sitting way up front!!
    4/17/94, 9/29/96, 9/10/98, 8/7/00, 8/24/00, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/1/04, 5/12/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/12/08, 6/27/08, Ed solo 8/5/08, 10/27/09,5/18/10,10/22/13,5/1/16
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    seriously....why?
    what makes one more *deserving*....?
    your seniority grants you better seats, is that not enough? even with the added tweak this tour of a couple of random rows....overall, seniority STILL guarantees better seats based on the length of your membership. on TOP of that, now you want first ACCESS? holy fuck, that 5-10 dollars for a couple years more than some of us equates THAT much more privilege? sweet bejeebus! beyond that, i do NOT believe in hometown seniority, at all. i could definitely see getting to pick ONE show for your 'best' seniority, but not hometown. why? b/c how does a place like NYC come up with a hometown? just manhattanites....or NYers? what about people in jersey or CT who live HOURS closer than someone up in buffalo? what about fans in states, or hell countries that NEVER or rarely get shows? damn folks....a little perspective, and also a bit more sharing of the love perhaps?

and yes...i AM a NYer, born and raised here, although not a manhattanite....and yes, i scored for both nights. however, i have also traveled ALL over for pj shows, with 10c tix. so it goes both ways, as well it should.

Its not about 1st access, its about any access
    why shouldn't seniority get you priority over someone who could have become a member 3/18/07 and because of luck/Firefox over IE (what i have at work), patience (but no one could have refreshed more times then me today) or whatever secrets I'm not clued in to.
    I'm VERY happy for you that you got tix for both nights, but I'm bummed I did not and with comments about limitations on fanclub tkt amts, now more then ever i want my seniority to matter for something (at least for 1 show of a tour)
    BRING BACK SNAIL MAIL
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    ..It almost defeats the purpose of being in the fan club... it sucks that I can't get Fan Club seating in my hometown.

Belonging to the 10C gives you the opportunity like any other member, whereever this member may come from, to go for the tickets, WITH NO GUARANTEE of getting tix. Odds are against us... not enough tix for too many people.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    at the London Wembley gig i met

4 New Yorkers
    1 San Diegoianism
    many more Americans
    2 Candians
    7 Australians
    1 French
    2 Croats
    far too many Irish
    1 Brasilian
    1 Argentian
    4 Scots
    1 Norwegian

and they had tickets to the ONE and ONLY show in the UK that year... we all got on great, everyone had a blast

it's a shame you feel the way you do.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    Personally I think 10club should just fix their fucking site to handle the amount of people who want to buy tickets. That would still leave some people out, but I think at least it would have given people a fair chance. It hurts to have had tickets ready to buy twice only to have the site crash repeatedly. That's where my bitterness lies.
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Did any of you think to ASK any of us immigrants if we had spare tickets? Instead of bitching at us?? Feck the lot of ye, I'm bringing another Irish person just to annoy you :D

and D2D - thanks for being welcoming :)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    dunkman wrote:

You can't help the way you feel though... :).

The first time I read people all over the world getting tickets to a show a few blocks from where I live I was disappointed. Still fighting that disappointment a little. I realize I am lucky PJ are playing two nights where I live, I realize there is at least one good show per week in this city. And most importantly, I realize it is absurd to blame people who travel to shows (I have seen PJ in 4 nations and two different US states :o). So now I just blame ticketmaster for putting caps on fanclub tickets. And I express my preference for some kind of hometown advantage :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Jennytree wrote:
    Did any of you think to ASK any of us immigrants if we had spare tickets? Instead of bitching at us?? Feck the lot of ye, I'm bringing another Irish person just to annoy you :D

Thats the spirit!!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    I just feel that my taxpaying money has earned me the right to have better seats than you.

Don't make me laugh.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    at the London Wembley gig i met

4 New Yorkers
    1 San Diegoianism
    many more Americans
    2 Candians
    7 Australians
    1 French
    2 Croats
    far too many Irish
    1 Brasilian
    1 Argentian
    4 Scots
    1 Norwegian

and they had tickets to the ONE and ONLY show in the UK that year... we all got on great, everyone had a blast

You forgot a Finn, and the Scots too! I also know a couple of Belgians and Dutch people were there too!
  • Options
    That would still leave some people out, but I think at least it would have given people a fair chance. I

I guess in a way it's fair inasmuch as everyone was in the same boat.
  • Options
    mauichick wrote:
    Its not about 1st access, its about any access
    why shouldn't seniority get you priority over someone who could have become a member 3/18/07 and because of luck/Firefox over IE (what i have at work), patience (but no one could have refreshed more times then me today) or whatever secrets I'm not clued in to.
    I'm VERY happy for you that you got tix for both nights, but I'm bummed I did not and with comments about limitations on fanclub tkt amts, now more then ever i want my seniority to matter for something (at least for 1 show of a tour)
    BRING BACK SNAIL MAIL

why SHOULDN't someone who joined 03.18.07 have JUST as GOOD a chance as you, me, or anyone to have a SHOT at getting tix? truly. that is what i don't understand. it Is pure luck to get on the server, for anyone. i do NOT believe seniority should bring yet another perk. EVERY show seniority *matters for something*....the very best seats in the house overall. sure, row 1-2 and 9-10 are now random, but none the less.....that awesome 10C #s will STILL guarantee the best seats.

thing is snail mail will solve nothing. there are NOT unlimited 10c tix, so it STILL would be based on who gets their money orders into the mail fast enough, and then, all based on how quick your mail service is. still at the mercy of something....rather than the internet servers, the postal service. i think it would be extremely elitist of pearl jam to make ACCESS to tickets based on seniority. they NEVER have in the past, why start today? and, in regards to seniority in general - it's been covered, but seriously, one was NEVER promised seniority seating until the 2000 tour, for ONE show only, etc, etc...been tweaked/altered ever since. what would be the advantage of becoming a NEW 10c member, if EVERYthing was based on seniority, they'd never attract new members...and i don't think 10c/pj wants that. they want to please BOTH old and new fans.......and that means a SHOT at first access to tix, plain and simple.

i am truly sorry for those shut out, i really, really am. i KNOW i would be JUST as bummed about it, but at least take heart that i could score a spare, and/or get tix thru TM. however, NO way would i be crying for hometown priority, nor access based on seniority, etc. why? b/c THAt is simply unfair to the vast majority of fans. i am thankful pearl jam TRIES to reward ALL their fans, not just the longest 10c members.

i KNOW my 10c purchases in other cities/states/countries took tix away from someone else who may've been a local......that's how it goes. whether snail mail or internet, the same result holds true - people will be shut out. the only other thing i can think of is a "lottery"....but they'd have to announce the shows a LOT further in advance, and a bit more work - though not much. might FEEL a bit more fair, dunno...but bottomline, same result: 10c members shut out of 10c tix. this IS how it will always be from now on for high demand shows. there simply are not enough availabe anymore....and it truly sucks for all. i'd far rather ALL who wanted 10c tix got em, but that's just not reality anymore....thank you TM, eh?

mea culpa for the long post........:p i just feel very strongly on EQUAL ACCESS for ALL 10c members.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    Jennytree wrote:

Make sure the person has no clue who PJ is...tell them to text/eat/show a huge lack of interest during the show. That'll teach the facist NYC'ers to complain!
    :)
  • Options
    spinDrAtlspinDrAtl Posts: 109
    Jennytree wrote:

Good point - you never know who might have an extra ticket to spare. Those 'tourists' might not be inclined to share with someone who has bitched at them and called them names.
    So this is what it's like to be an adult.

Atlanta 4-3-94,Charleston 10-5-96
    Atlanta 8-7-00,Atlanta 4-19-03
    Vegas 6-6-03,Vegas 7-6-06
    Chicago Vic 8-2-07,Columbia 6-16-08
    MSG I 6-24-08, Philadelphia 10-31-09
  • Options
    You're all missing the point.

NYC is the BIGGEST show on Earth, such that RESIDENTS are locked out of their own HOMETOWN show because of all the tourists. I have no problem with you all here... but it is an extreme disappointment to have to get nosebleeds to my own hometown show. End of story. It's not xenophobia. It's not Euro-bashing. It's not hatred. It's a situation that most members do NOT have to deal with unless they live in a major city.... and it's worst here.

Simple: NYC area Tenclub members have the worst chance of anyone to see PJ in their own hometown. Some of us have important jobs that we can't just take off to fly to see a show. Why should I have to fly to Tampa for better seats when I can get them in my own city?

Bunch of ignorants who have no concept of that New York City is. All it is to you is Times Square and the Garden. Stay home.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Make sure the person has no clue who PJ is...tell them to text/eat/show a huge lack of interest during the show. That'll teach the facist NYC'ers to complain!

You're the example of ignorance. NYC is filled with people from everywhere living in all corners of the city. We're not fascists, but we're proud of our city and wear membership like a badge. We're not pleased when outsiders come here, trash our city, tell people that they've seen it all ....when all they've seen are a few historical attractions and some bars... and then say they know everything about it. And what's worse is when we go to a show and it's mostly out of towners who stand there and don't know half the songs. You're the idiot here Joe. That's why your town is being overrun from the south.
  • Options

NYC is the BIGGEST show on Earth, such that RESIDENTS are locked out of their own HOMETOWN show because of all the tourists. I have no problem with you all here... but it is an extreme disappointment to have to get nosebleeds to my own hometown show. End of story. It's not xenophobia. It's not Euro-bashing. It's not hatred. It's a situation that most members do NOT have to deal with unless they live in a major city.... and it's worst here.

Simple: NYC area Tenclub members have the worst chance of anyone to see PJ in their own hometown. Some of us have important jobs that we can't just take off to fly to see a show. Why should I have to fly to Tampa for better seats when I can get them in my own city?

Bunch of ignorants who have no concept of that New York City is. All it is to you is Times Square and the Garden. Stay home.

There are always benefits and detriments to living in a major city, just as there are benefits and detriments to living in a small town. NYC people have the benefit of having every band play in their city, as well as all of the sports teams, restaurant, plays, etc. There is a reason as to why so many people move there. If it weren't for tourists, zillions of NYC peeps would not have jobs, so in the big picture, be happy that people are willing to travel to your precious city!

"important jobs" - how do you define such a term?
  • Options
    Why should I have to fly to Tampa for better seats when I can get them in my own city?

Bunch of ignorants who have no concept of that New York City is. All it is to you is Times Square and the Garden. Stay home

hmmm... because you CAN'T get them in your own city?

By the way, people like you are the main reason why I am sad I moved to this city a few months ago. Bunch of arrogant assholes who think they are the only ones who know anything about the world.

I hope karma does not take it out on me, but boy am I glad you didn't get tickets. I also hope you don't get them for years to come.

Cheers.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    There are always benefits and detriments to living in a major city, just as there are benefits and detriments to living in a small town. NYC people have the benefit of having every band play in their city, as well as all of the sports teams, restaurant, plays, etc. There is a reason as to why so many people move there. If it weren't for tourists, zillions of NYC peeps would not have jobs, so in the big picture, be happy that people are willing to travel to your precious city!

"important jobs" - how do you define such a term?

Any job any new yorker has, of course :rolleyes:

kudos to joejoejoe for keeping his temper and engaging the OP in reasoned discussion.
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732

The only ignorant I see in here is you. The cool thing about this is it looks like your staying home yourself! hehehe
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    You're the example of ignorance. NYC is filled with people from everywhere living in all corners of the city. We're not fascists, but we're proud of our city and wear membership like a badge. We're not pleased when outsiders come here, trash our city, tell people that they've seen it all ....when all they've seen are a few historical attractions and some bars... and then say they know everything about it. And what's worse is when we go to a show and it's mostly out of towners who stand there and don't know half the songs. You're the idiot here Joe. That's why your town is being overrun from the south.

Wow, my city is being overrun from the south because I am an idiot? I didn't know that me being an idiot would have such an effect. I guess I have more power then I ever imagined. Sounds like I have an important job!

Perhaps people wouldn't trash your city if you didn't have such a lame attitude, my friend.

Since so many people will be infiltrating your city for the PJ shows, what attractions do YOU suggest they see?
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Any job any new yorker has, of course :rolleyes:

kudos to joejoejoe for keeping his temper and engaging the OP in reasoned discussion.

Of course....its much more effective to make people feel dumb then to lose one's temper!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,128
    I'm glad all these people are coming in, they can stimulate the economy of the city.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    spinDrAtlspinDrAtl Posts: 109

You are missing the point Jules. You don't have any more right to a ticket than anyone else in the world, or any more right to a 10c ticket than any other 10c member.

What if it was residents only and you still didn't get a ticket? Would you then want to keep adding additional criteria until you get what you want? How would you differentiate between 2 fans, one of which has been a member of the 10c longer but the other has been a resident of NYC longer? Who wins on that one?

How would you propose to define a resident? Certain zip codes? Anyone in the state of New York? Is Manhatten ahead of Queens? Is the Bronx ahead of Harlem? Who decides - you? Do people who live closer to MSG get ahead of others?

Tell us Jules, how would you do it?
    So this is what it's like to be an adult.

Atlanta 4-3-94,Charleston 10-5-96
    Atlanta 8-7-00,Atlanta 4-19-03
    Vegas 6-6-03,Vegas 7-6-06
    Chicago Vic 8-2-07,Columbia 6-16-08
    MSG I 6-24-08, Philadelphia 10-31-09