Options

OPEN LETTER TO THE 10 CLUB & TIM BIERMAN TO CHANGE GA LINE

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,028
    edited November 2013
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    Unless you have kids you wouldn't understand.

You mean, I don't understand that other parts of your life will take up your time if I don't actually have kids? I've been around kids, is that enough or do I actually have to have some first to understand that they fill up ones schedule?

And GA for rock shows have always had lines and people waiting/camping out. It's not something new. Maybe not meant for people choosing to have kids, but to be it's part of the rock shows. If they would implement a system for GA... sure... but I don't think this system is "crazy". It's just how it is, and have been. You people with these kids I have no idea how to relate to might have to accept that :)

I'm not being mean, i'm just saying a lot of people that have kids don't have 12 hours to sit in a line and some people don't understand that.
    As far as the whole ga process I think the Bruce method could work extremely well. If it doesn't happen I know that I'll never be on the rail. Not a big deal. I walked into ga at brooklyn 1 15 minutes before the band went on and I was 8 people deep in front of stone; this is better than 95% of the people in the building.
    But never forget - you should have sold a ticket to me! :)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    My only experience with the Bruce system was this year.

At Leeds, and it was a simple line and list idea,......first come first in, and people could bugger off 'authorised' for hours at a time.

In fact the person at the front of the queue got there 5 days before the show, and would go back to her hotel to sleep and shower and everything......
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    My only experience with the Bruce system was this year.

At Leeds, and it was a simple line and list idea,......first come first in, and people could bugger off 'authorised' for hours at a time.

In fact the person at the front of the queue got there 5 days before the show, and would go back to her hotel to sleep and shower and everything......
    Not rock enough!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,844
    Minus 25 in Calgary this weekend. How many will be queuing all day in that?

:shock:
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892

I know! next tour bud! Maybe i'll fly across the pond next summer. I heard Paul is buying the first 5 rounds at each show.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

I know! next tour bud! Maybe i'll fly across the pond next summer. I heard Paul is buying the first 5 rounds at each show.

you can hold me to that :D
  • Options
    It basically boils down to the fact that anyone doing this number thing is a shitty person. End of story.

I like this.

The line system is elitist BS. The major flaw is the majority of people do not know about it.

I get that people don't want to stand in line all day but this is not the solution.

When my wife first saw this she thought it was the dumbest think she had ever seen and wanted no part of of it.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    You people are too funny

It's nothing more than an attempt to bring order to the queue ... In a civilized way. In Europe last year it was not possible if you arrived early not to know of the system. All new comers to the venue were offered friendly advice to grab a number if being early was important to them to get a good spot.

It's as simple as that. And it worked really well. There was no difficulty with anyone I saw. Yes it was boring but it worked out well. The time spent on that Manchester pavement wasn't wasted. The fans acted with integrity, and with respect to each other. I think Tenclub expect that.

There appears to be a mentality here that suggests a minority of rebellious unrepentant non conformists whom seem to just want to be difficult.

This isn't school, you don't need teacher to hold your hands

You're right it's not school. We also don't need a notebook with a list to be civil.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    stoppler_pjstoppler_pj Montreal, Quebec, Canada Posts: 191
    I prefer reserved seating. No waiting. Enjoy the city and other fans.
    You are obviously from the sticks if you call it a hoodie! Us sophisticated city folk call it a bunnyhug!
  • Options
    tubes10s wrote:
    I just hope that people that are in line speak up and don't let this notebook nonsense carry on. If someone steps into line in front of you simply because someone with no authority and absolutely no connection to the venue or the band puts their name and a random number in a notebook, then speak up!

If you step into line in front of even ONE person who doesn't know what the "notebook" is all about, then you're making an unfair and dishonest move, and you know it.

The problem with this is that EVERYONE doesn't know about it. That's what makes it unfair.

That's it.

The do exist people that like Pearl Jam and aren't on this board a lot or even at all. That's the flaw.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Twiggy57Twiggy57 Posts: 136
    I'm not sure if I fully follow. Obviously to earn the front of the line one should have to show up early and stick it out all day, and anyone breaking this should lose their spot.
    What does Bruce do to counter this? Did I miss that? I like the post, just not sure what the alternative is...

Well for the concerts of Bruce. I was there and that system doesnt work either, I can tell you that.
    People camped for 2 days just get a low number (of appearing at the gate) written on their hand with a water resistant marker. I did not know of that system when I appeared on the day of the Bruce concert at around 11.00 a.m. and finanly I got number 423, which meant: 422 people were earlier then me.
    But in the end, when the gates opened, that whole silly system went to waste as many late arrivals just joined in various lines. Luckily for me I ended up at the 3 rd row.

So, the only honest method is indeed, like so many fans here tell you, the early birds have the front GA rows, if they can run a bit faster then others :twisted:

That's the system here in Europe for a very long time, and hopefully this will not change.

A few just 10club fan shows would of course be the greatest........do you think that can happen??? :)
  • Options
    At Charlottesville I saw the line about 3pm and it wasn't bad. I wasn't sure if this list thing was going on or not. We went to get some dinner. We got back in line around 5pm. Still not that bad. But just prior to 6pm, many of the same faces I had just seen at the bar showed up and walked to the front because the did the list. Pretty lame.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    that notebook is absolutely ridiculous.

if someone was standing at the ticket window signing people up as the picked up their tickets it would be one thing, but at OKC it was like a secret. I walked by the line 4 times and didn't get in it because there were only like 15 people waiting, so I thought I'd keep sightseeing. Then on the 5th time there were about 30 and I thought, it is time to get in line and someone says i got go talk to a guy in a blue hat at the front with a notebook. I ended up 164th in the line, which is total crap as I was there at 230 to pick up my tickets.

This notebook was used solely so people could leave all day and not have to wait in line. Worst, it was kept like a damn secret. I have been on this board multiple times a day for the last 2 months, and this was the first I had heard of it.

Finally, I am usually not a someone who will speak out my mind when what I have to say is mean. Kind of that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. But I slept on this and I have to say it: I don't give a shit if you have kids, that was your fault; don't make it mine. A 10 year and something like a 5 year old on the rail at OKC. Your kid does not give a shit about your favorite band. Don't give me, "they know all the words to the songs; they dance around." They'd dance around to melodic sounds of farts. They don't have the history or life experience to appreciate the music, the lyrics, and the band. You need to, first, get a babysitter; second, get some friends your own age; third, get a life and let your kid have their own. If they get around to Pearl Jam and connect to it, fucking great, but stop pushing your shit on to them. One of the worst things to witness in life is parents who can't let their kids figure what they like and make them into all the things they like, or wanted to be, and just didn't make it. The funny thing for me is this is one of the reasons I never want to have a kid for fear i'll do the same stupid thing. And, don't get all hurt and side-faced when their a teenager and they tell you your favorite band sucks and they never even liked them.

alright. done. ignore what i said if you want; clap at your computer if you agree. to be honest it doesn't merit a reply, and i will never read for one. sorry if what i said hurt your feelings, i just needed to hit a release valve. i know you love your kids and what was is best for them, and I agree PJ is the best; just think about letting them grow freely.

back to the subject at hand: the notebook is bullshit unless you have someone at the ticket window signing people up when they get their tickets. that's it. otherwise it should be disallowed. not everyone is an easy going person and when they wait outside for 6 hours to have 50 people show up to cut in front them, bad noise and violence will happen. put a stop to this before someone gets hurt.
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    Being a major Bruce GA veteran, I'll chime in here.

His system works great here in the US. I show up, get a wristband, and then am free to tailgate, visit friends around the lot, etc. Half the fun for me is catching up with worldwide friends and meeting new ones. Sharing stories and all that.

When 5:30 rolls around and they draw the lottery number, I don't care. I'm going in at 8:15 and standing in the back of the pit on Stevie's side. I'm usually no more than 30 feet from the stage with easy access to drinks & the bathroom. And plenty of room to move around.

I totally get the frustration of being in line all day to secure a prime GA spot. But, really, even if your the last person to get in the pit, you still have a better vantage point than 97% of the arena.
    How much difference does it make
  • Options
    Agree about the notebook. Maybe a little harsh about the kids.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    SomeySomey Posts: 121
    Yea your rediculous pal, if you wait there as long as I have, than u deserve the spot u get. You should deff not be able to leave and just come back. Like the same ppl who complain about reserved seats I get it you joined the club before me but your also how many years older than me and were lucky to see them in the 90s
    Somey

E.V. - United Palace Theater 08/05/2008
    E.V. - Beacon Theater 1 & 2
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,844
    TL61540 wrote:
    I prefer reserved seating. No waiting. Enjoy the city and other fans.

+1
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    pdalowsky wrote:
    mcgruff10 wrote:

you can hold me to that :D
    ok cool! i like guiness.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    In 2003 they did it in blocks but I could improve my seats if I put the time in and waited in line.
    In 2008 and 2010 my seats were set. They were typically better in 2003 but that's mostly because they were doing the first 2 rows as lottery - which I was fine with so some new faces were up front. It was much more enjoyable pre show to just have reserved seats and the excitement for a chance at the lottery.

I'm in favor of reserved. Don't care at all for the self imposed line list.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    oh..and something else..
    as i said before,i dont care abour the numbering,i dont do it,im not waititng in the line,i prefer to go chat with people in the line and then leave go to the bar etc...
    but i found so funny people saying dont like the numbering,the one giving your spot in the line of GA,"cos its stupid or no one will put a number in my hand,or write my name in a paper", ,but the same time, the membership numbering is the way u get your spot -seat at the venue,your 10c tix are in an envelpope with your name and number on it....
    ""I am not a number, I am a free man.""HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA""...fuckin iron maiden,know their shit..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Can someone give me a quick summary about what this thread is about? I go reserved tickets for this tour so I have no idea what all this GA "notebook" stuff is.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Can someone give me a quick summary about what this thread is about? I go reserved tickets for this tour so I have no idea what all this GA "notebook" stuff is.

You're better off not knowing.

A trend has started at shows where people withbGA tickets start a notebook and "sign in" and put a number on their hand. Usually about 100-200 seem to know about it. Then most of these people go off and do whatever - typically go to a bar. Then folks that don't know show up at 2-3-4 pm and stand in line. Then some guy with a number 15 on his hand shows up at 5:55pm and goes to the front of the line because he put himself on the "list" that most people don't know about. It's a joke really.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

A trend has started at shows where people withbGA tickets start a notebook and "sign in" and put a number on their hand. Usually about 100-200 seem to know about it. Then most of these people go off and do whatever - typically go to a bar. Then folks that don't know show up at 2-3-4 pm and stand in line. Then some guy with a number 15 on his hand shows up at 5:55pm and goes to the front of the line because he put himself on the "list" that most people don't know about. It's a joke really.

Yeah that is pretty stupid. I'm surprised there haven't been fistfights over this.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Suziemay wrote:
    I've been waiting in the GA lines this US tour and Europe tour last year and I completely disagree with the spirit of OP's post. OP hasn't been in a PJ GA line since 2007 so I'm not sure what the motivation for this thread is, said so right here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=209312&start=480#p5337747.

I don't normally like to call people out and prefer to mind my own business but these threads have been pissing me off and if you know me, I rarely get pissed off. If people who are against the list and numbers are people who got screwed waiting in line I'd be interested in hearing your bad experiences, however it seems like people who haven't been part of the line are the ones who are most upset by it and I'm not sure how this impacts you. If I'm mistaken about this, I apologize in advance, and do definitely correct my perception. Otherwise, these threads are just manufacturing negativity for a situation that doesn't even really exist in reality.

My experiences in line have been nothing but positive and in fact represent some of my fondest memories from the shows so I don't understand where all this angst is coming from and why we are even talking about it unless people who have been waiting in line feel like they have been wronged but so far I haven't seen any such person raise their hand. In fact, most of us have fond memories of being in line.

For reference, I waited in 3 GA lines for leg 1 (Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 and Brooklyn 2) and also for Wrigley. My goal was to get on the rail (and I did each time). I only left the line to go use the bathroom, get lunch, coffee. I did not leave to go to the preparty, or go take a shower, or go nap. Neither did the people immediately around me. I checked with everyone around me before I stepped away, and offered to bring stuff back for folks (and others also reciprocated). It was a very bonding experience with fans I had just met whom I'm now friends with.

The reason for the list and numbers is to prevent exactly what people on OP's other thread are so angry about, people who try to claim to have been there all day when in reality they were not. It helps provide some order in what would otherwise be a chaotic situation. It's fan-run, it's informal and yes, in theory no one has to "listen" to anyone. However, the lines I've been in have been '"run" (if we must call it that) with the utmost respect to others so anyone not "following" was really the asshole. Were there conflicts? Yes, but we talked and worked it out. It was a great display of the spirit of this community, unlike this thread.

Without reading countless threads, I've just started reading about this (didn't experience it in the 5 shows I was at as I didn't have GA for them). I have GA for next weeks show in Oakland and have no problem dealing with a fan run list, but is it apparent and blatantly obvious that there is a "list god" that we must pay a visit to to get on said list, or is it only know by the "chosen" that have to be on the rail?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Suziemay wrote:
    I've been waiting in the GA lines this US tour and Europe tour last year and I completely disagree with the spirit of OP's post. OP hasn't been in a PJ GA line since 2007 so I'm not sure what the motivation for this thread is, said so right here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=209312&start=480#p5337747.

I don't normally like to call people out and prefer to mind my own business but these threads have been pissing me off and if you know me, I rarely get pissed off. If people who are against the list and numbers are people who got screwed waiting in line I'd be interested in hearing your bad experiences, however it seems like people who haven't been part of the line are the ones who are most upset by it and I'm not sure how this impacts you. If I'm mistaken about this, I apologize in advance, and do definitely correct my perception. Otherwise, these threads are just manufacturing negativity for a situation that doesn't even really exist in reality.

My experiences in line have been nothing but positive and in fact represent some of my fondest memories from the shows so I don't understand where all this angst is coming from and why we are even talking about it unless people who have been waiting in line feel like they have been wronged but so far I haven't seen any such person raise their hand. In fact, most of us have fond memories of being in line.

For reference, I waited in 3 GA lines for leg 1 (Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 and Brooklyn 2) and also for Wrigley. My goal was to get on the rail (and I did each time). I only left the line to go use the bathroom, get lunch, coffee. I did not leave to go to the preparty, or go take a shower, or go nap. Neither did the people immediately around me. I checked with everyone around me before I stepped away, and offered to bring stuff back for folks (and others also reciprocated). It was a very bonding experience with fans I had just met whom I'm now friends with.

The reason for the list and numbers is to prevent exactly what people on OP's other thread are so angry about, people who try to claim to have been there all day when in reality they were not. It helps provide some order in what would otherwise be a chaotic situation. It's fan-run, it's informal and yes, in theory no one has to "listen" to anyone. However, the lines I've been in have been '"run" (if we must call it that) with the utmost respect to others so anyone not "following" was really the asshole. Were there conflicts? Yes, but we talked and worked it out. It was a great display of the spirit of this community, unlike this thread.

Without reading countless threads, I've just started reading about this (didn't experience it in the 5 shows I was at as I didn't have GA for them). I have GA for next weeks show in Oakland and have no problem dealing with a fan run list, but is it apparent and blatantly obvious that there is a "list god" that we must pay a visit to to get on said list, or is it only know by the "chosen" that have to be on the rail?

It seems different ever few shows or so. I couldn't really tell you. Just start your own list.

The think is you know about it now so it's ok but there are still those that don't. So you'll see people standing in line a few ours with no clue about this list. Then 15, 42, and 61 show up 10 mins before the doors open and waltz to the front. That's the problem.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    On the bright side, for the show in Oakland, where the f are people going to go? Get in line, get a number, and then jump on Bart? Maybe play on the 880?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    There is a really simple way to fix this and reward long time supporters of the band... ditch GA and go back to reserved seating. But if we must keep the GA section, then simply arrange the line via lottery distributed with your tickets. We've already ruined ticking buying with a lottery, let's ruin venue entry too. Forget the days of putting out effort to achieve something you want... Why not leave the entire PJ experience up to chance?
    Suziemay wrote:
    For reference, I waited in 3 GA lines for leg 1 (Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 and Brooklyn 2) and also for Wrigley.

How did everyone ignore this? This is a much bigger problem than some stupid notebook. Many people are wishing they had GA ticket problems! How many people got shut out of GA tickets, and this person has seen 4 shows from GA this year? I'm not tring to single them out, I'm sure they aren't the only one.
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

seriously untrue.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    mookie9999 wrote:
    No list god. By default the person who arrives first starts the list, and the only reason for the list is to keep track of people arriving so no one freaks out if they have to go to the bathroom. It would work just the same without a list, except it would be harder to keep track and a lot easier for people to jump into the line (and trust me, people will try). When you show up, just walk around the venue and if you see a cluster of people ask them.

If you're not shooting to be on the rail and just want to arrive whenever without worrying about where you end up in the pit, don't bother with the list. It only really matters for the first 40-50 people who arrive in line.

Much of the negativity about the queuing up experience has been blown way out of proportion by a few individuals who as far as I can tell have not attempted to line up early, nor have they actually been negatively impacted by the experience. Up to you who you want to listen to. You're not hearing about the positive experience because most of those folks don't come to the board.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Evensteven wrote:

seriously untrue.

Sorry - saw it first hand at Charlottesville. Not much of a line at 2:30-3. Went to eat/drink at Wishlist thing. Got in line about 4:30-5. At 5:50 several of the same people I had seen at the bar walked up to the front of the line. 61, 42, couple of other guys were in the top 10. Also saw thes same guys at Charlotte. The few people I were around weren't really aware of the line. So yeah it is true. You need to believe there are actual real fans that don't get on this board daily or at all even.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."