Options

NBA Thread now in 2015

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,370
    He's one of the best to ever play the game. You guys realize "best player on the floor" and "most valuable player" are two different things right?

Hell of a game 5, no doubt. Doing his part in getting Green suspended certainly helped as he had no problems driving to the basket. But I don't think he played very well in the first two games (9/21 and 7/17 are not good shooting percentages at all).

Let's see what happens next.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

I'm biased, but Lebron is still the best player in the league. He can do anything on the court at an elite level. And further, I think Klay is better than Steph. I'd rather have Klay at least. Someone made teh great point last night that Klay always takes the best guard on the floor. He is such the better two way player than Steph.

I've never been a fan of giving the MVP to a player on the losing team, but it's not even close right now. LeBron is the best player on the floor.
    Without researching, the only time I recall it happening was Ron Hextall for the Flyers
    it's happened 5x in the NHL but the Conn Smythe is for the whole playoffs and the NBA gives just a Finals MVP. and if Golden State wins game 6 no Lebron does not deserve it over Thompson.
    Why should Thompson get it if LeBron is beating him in every statistical category?

Well, except wins.....
    Well i think for a losing player to get it that player has to stand on his head so far and above every other player and also take his team to an unexpected level. I don't think Lebron has done that this series. Frankly I don't think Lebron has been all the great this series. Was fantastic last night but overall in this series has been just ok to me. he is averaging 5 turnovers a game which includes only 2 last night. He had 2 games with 7 turnovers and was bad in games 1 and 2. Those types of numbers are not good enough for a player on a losing team to win Finals MVP in my opinion.
    He almost had a triple double in game 1. Almost had one in 3 of the 4 games. If he had help. Those numbers look even better
    "If he had help"
    Haha....you love this argument for Eli too.

Here's a thought, maybe don't let your best player also be your quasi gm. And I'd say he had quite a bit of help in Miami yet only won once down there.

Stop making excuses for him.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722

igotid88 said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

I'm biased, but Lebron is still the best player in the league. He can do anything on the court at an elite level. And further, I think Klay is better than Steph. I'd rather have Klay at least. Someone made teh great point last night that Klay always takes the best guard on the floor. He is such the better two way player than Steph.

I've never been a fan of giving the MVP to a player on the losing team, but it's not even close right now. LeBron is the best player on the floor.
    Without researching, the only time I recall it happening was Ron Hextall for the Flyers
    it's happened 5x in the NHL but the Conn Smythe is for the whole playoffs and the NBA gives just a Finals MVP. and if Golden State wins game 6 no Lebron does not deserve it over Thompson.
    Why should Thompson get it if LeBron is beating him in every statistical category?

Well, except wins.....
    Well i think for a losing player to get it that player has to stand on his head so far and above every other player and also take his team to an unexpected level. I don't think Lebron has done that this series. Frankly I don't think Lebron has been all the great this series. Was fantastic last night but overall in this series has been just ok to me. he is averaging 5 turnovers a game which includes only 2 last night. He had 2 games with 7 turnovers and was bad in games 1 and 2. Those types of numbers are not good enough for a player on a losing team to win Finals MVP in my opinion.
    He almost had a triple double in game 1. Almost had one in 3 of the 4 games. If he had help. Those numbers look even better
    "If he had help"

Here's a thought, maybe don't let your best player also be your quasi gm. And I'd say he had quite a bit of help in Miami yet only won once down there.

He won twice.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    Could the NBA space out these games any more??? This series is taking forever.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420

Could the NBA space out these games any more??? This series is taking forever.

There is no reason the full NBA season and playoffs shouldn't end in March or April. The NBA lasts longer than hockey - a fast paced, physically grueling sport. Baseball is more physically demanding than basketball, and they play twice as many games with maybe one day off each week. And the MLB offseason is still longer than the NBA. Basketball is ridiculous. All you do is jog around and try to throw a ball in a hoop.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

igotid88 said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

Well, except wins.....
    "If he had help"

He won twice.
    Ah, yes. Touché. Was favored in the other two series though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Baseball ... physically demanding?

• Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Jason P said:

So he's fat? It's still a way more physically demanding sport than basketball. Lot of guys with guts in the NFL, too. Would you not agree football is more demanding than basketball?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,244

Jason P said:

So he's fat? It's still a way more physically demanding sport than basketball. Lot of guys with guts in the NFL, too. Would you not agree football is more demanding than basketball?
    agree that the time between games in the NBA playoffs is ridiculous. that being said baseball is not as physically demanding as basketball. not close actually. hell 99% of baseball is standing around doing nothing. I do agree that baseball is taxing because of the long grind with so few days off though. sometimes i think people don't realize how few days off baseball teams get during the season.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Dude... I'm not sure you can say baseball is more physically demanding than basketball. I played and coached baseball for years and also do the same for wrestling. We love when baseball players come in. They have 'baseball lungs'. It's not like that for the kids that play hoops.
  • Options
    Here is my rational that basketball is much more demanding the baseball ...

If I tried to play a game of full court basketball, there is a fair chance I might die of a heart attack. Yet as it pertains to baseball I'm very confident I could play in a double header (with exception to catcher) with a 4 beer buzz
  • Options
    Jason P said:

If I tried to play a game of full court basketball, there is a fair chance I might die of a heart attack. Yet as it pertains to baseball I'm very confident I could play in a double header (with exception to catcher) with a 4 beer buzz

Dude. There's no way you could muscle through 18 holes on a cart, with beer and a bowl. No way.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

He's one of the best to ever play the game. You guys realize "best player on the floor" and "most valuable player" are two different things right?

Hell of a game 5, no doubt. Doing his part in getting Green suspended certainly helped as he had no problems driving to the basket. But I don't think he played very well in the first two games (9/21 and 7/17 are not good shooting percentages at all).

Take Lebron off the cavs and they aren't a playoff team. Take Klay or Curran off GS, and they're still the best team in the west. That's what an MVP is.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

Dude. There's no way you could muscle through 18 holes on a cart, with beer and a bowl. No way.
    Golf! A true champions sport!

• Options

Take Lebron off the cavs and they aren't a playoff team. Take Klay or Curran off GS, and they're still the best team in the west. That's what an MVP is.
    You think if they remove the reigning two time MVP, the Warriars are still the best team in the league?

Ha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^ Yeah, I don't think this is true. I think they could lose Curry before they lose Klay personally. Curry's defense against guards is just a huge liability. Klay covers so much of that, particularly since this is the golden age of guards.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

mrussel1 said:

Jason P said:

Golf! A true champions sport!

That's a great photo and encapsulates everything I love about the sport.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Stats from the Finals thus far:

Player X: 141 total points 23 assists 11 turnovers 40.8% from 3 48.8% from field Steals 12

Player Y: 111 total points 23 assists 23 turnovers 41.5% from 3 42% from field Steals 4

That's right. Kyrie is X and Steph is Y. Curry isn't even the best PG in the series. Although it could change anytime...
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mrussel1 said:

Player X: 141 total points 23 assists 11 turnovers 40.8% from 3 48.8% from field Steals 12

Player Y: 111 total points 23 assists 23 turnovers 41.5% from 3 42% from field Steals 4

That's right. Kyrie is X and Steph is Y. Curry isn't even the best PG in the series. Although it could change anytime...

Not going to change with him in foul trouble early.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    11 points? Wow.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,601
    Very bad quarter for the Warriors..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Not going to change with him in foul trouble early.
    Well maybe I was wrong.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,065
    looks like there will be a game 7
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

looks like there will be a game 7

Don't you friggin jinx us.
  • Options
    Those timeouts are torture..hardly stay awake..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:

Those timeouts are torture..hardly stay awake..

Well hell, what time is it for you?
  • Options
    6.30 in the morning..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    23scidoo said:

6.30 in the morning..

Don't know how you do it.
  • Options
    23scidoo said:

6.30 in the morning..

That's crazy. My wife went to bed at 11. Can't even stay up to watch the Cavs and you're halfway around the world doing it.