Options

So... Europe 2014...

Comments

• Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    Glastonbury have said that the three headliners will be bands that haven't played before.

Fleetwood Mac were a big rumour, but they've been postponing/cancelling dates due to illness, so they may not make it.

Depeche Mode are another rumour.

And...Pearl Jam.

Not sure they would fit in as a Pyramid band. Maybe The Other Stage, if they decide to play.

I spoke to Melvin Benn at Reading 2008 and he said Glastonbury have been trying to get PJ for years.
  • Options
    janemathiesonjanemathieson Cornwall, UK Posts: 72
    June 2014... hmmm.... I'm just hoping that if it is they either play Glastonbury or that the tour doesn't clash with Glastonbury.... stressing already at the prospect!

Best case scenario, they play Glasto and I get to see them elsewhere too ;)
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    Play the South

:lol::lol::lol: Yes! And the East and the F Yu countries!

If this rumour turns out to be true... :shock: :shock: :shock: ... I'll already be in Europe (with free accommodation) for summer 2014!!!

*fingers crossed*

:corn:

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    still crossing everything the Glasto thing is blanked again....the lack of day tickets would be a major headache. and getting a ticket at all in fact.

Im with agreement also - the Hyde Park 2010 sounded amazing from where I was stood.
  • Options
    The sound at Hyde Park is notoriously bad because the volume is too low.

There's no getting around it. They always had it too quiet because of the residential area.

For both PJ and Soundgarden I was close to the stage and could have a conversation with mates without having to raise my voice.

The venue is awful and I hope they never play there again.
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,940
    Hyde Park was the least memorable PJ gig I've been too...getting out and home aside (leaving Wuhlheide was like floating on a cloud in comparison) - so yeah, play Wuhlheide again please.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    The sound was crap.

And I'm surprised you paid the band any attention as I presume you were posting on this forum.

Here Here
  • Options
    Spags wrote:
    Hyde Park was the least memorable PJ gig I've been too...getting out and home aside (leaving Wuhlheide was like floating on a cloud in comparison) - so yeah, play Wuhlheide again please.

strangely I would pretty much agree with this too, but that's because most of my shows have been arena shows which will always piss all over a festival one.

and wulheide was a fantastic place to experience, truly magical
  • Options
    I didn't find the sound that bad at Hyde Park for PJ, don't know if I just found a sweet spot or what, but it wasn't noticeably quiet to me. Soundgarden at Hyde Park was a different matter, it was painfully quiet.....

Anyway, I'd love them to do their own one day festival type show with three or four DECENT supporting bands.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Olivavu wrote:
    Glastonbury have said that the three headliners will be bands that haven't played before.

Fleetwood Mac were a big rumour, but they've been postponing/cancelling dates due to illness, so they may not make it.

Depeche Mode are another rumour.

And...Pearl Jam.

Not sure they would fit in as a Pyramid band. Maybe The Other Stage, if they decide to play.

I spoke to Melvin Benn at Reading 2008 and he said Glastonbury have been trying to get PJ for years.
    ive got glasto tics so im really hoping they will play
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,973
    I didn't find the sound that bad at Hyde Park for PJ, don't know if I just found a sweet spot or what, but it wasn't noticeably quiet to me. Soundgarden at Hyde Park was a different matter, it was painfully quiet.....

Anyway, I'd love them to do their own one day festival type show with three or four DECENT supporting bands.

Me too...I really enjoyed Hyde Park. I didn't notice any issues with the sound from where I was. Guess it must have been a bit hit and miss.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Twiggy57Twiggy57 Posts: 136
    dottles wrote:
    In terms of festivals, these were running in June/July last year. I don't know the size or genre specifics of them, it just said pop/rock festivals.

June
    Glastonbury - Glastonbury, England UK
    Isle of Wight - IoW, England UK
    Download - Castle Donnington, England UK
    Rockness - Dores, Scotland UK
    Forbidden Fruit - Dublin, Ireland
    Hultsfred - Hultsfred, Sweden
    Hurricane/Southside - Germany
    INmusic - Zagreb, Croatia
    Northside - Aarhus, Denmark
    Pinkpop - Landgraaf, Netherlands
    Rock Am Ring/Rock Im Park - Germany
    Roskilde - Roskilde, Denmark
    Sonisphere - Amnéville, France
    Sonisphere - Spain/Italy

July
    T in the Park Festival - Balado, Scotland UK
    Benicàssim - Spain
    Les Eurockéennes - Belfort, France
    Main Square Festival - Arras, France
    Open'er - Gdynia, Poland
    Optimus Alive - Algés, Portugal
    Rock Werchter - Werchter, Belgium
    Volt - Sopron, Hungary

Ohhh I really really dont hope that they play the giganctic Glastonbury or Rock am Ring :cry:
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Hyde Park was a really hit and miss show for many, so many people didn't like it. We were far back, could hardly see the stage or the screens, the sound was going with the wind....and we had an absolute blast. There was a group of maybe 30 or more people, singing, laughing, dancing - we had a party of our own :D:D

But PJ won't be playing Hyde Park next year, so lets not bother getting annoyed about it huh!

Wuhlheide is an amazing venue, and feels very special.

It is unlikely that they will be playing in anyones back garden, or playing field, or local pub. They will most likely be playing in arenas(or stadiums) in cities with large populations or with large travelling catchment areas, they may play predominently in capital cities, they are also likely to play large festivals. I don't really understand why people are getting arsey about stuff when we've only had a 'it's likely we'll play in Europe around June next year'.
    We all want them back, a lot of us will go to mulitple shows, a lot of us will have to travel to attend shows even in our country, thems the breaks.

For those worried that Glastonbury may be one of these festivals, and you are not registered for tickets, then it is probably worth your while registering - https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/Regi ... n/Register and then have a chance of tickets in the resale next spring. If you're not registered you cannot buy tickets, and each person you are buying tickets for need to be registered.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,849
    Yep, Hyde Park is dead last on my list of shows. I still enjoyed it, but the crowd/venue had a negative affect on the day.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    EDIT: Ignore, didn't realise it had been cancelled going forwards
  • Options
    Hard Rock have apparently pulled their sponsorship of the "Calling" event and the promoters are now trying to get new sponsors but for now it's most likely off in 2014. I went to the Kasabian/Paul Weller day this year and while it sounded better than the events at Hyde Park, I didn't rate the Olympic Park at all as a venue. My own personal preference sides with Hyde Park. PJ at Hyde Park was very good but tarnished slightly by the large number of utter dickheads in attendance - not something I usually notice at arena shows.
    Flanders
  • Options

The sound level limit was higher for PJ.

There were complaints from residents and the volume has been reduced gradually down the years.

It's a crap venue - which is painfully highlighted by the Soundgarden show.
  • Options
    Hard Rock have apparently pulled their sponsorship of the "Calling" event and the promoters are now trying to get new sponsors but for now it's most likely off in 2014. I went to the Kasabian/Paul Weller day this year and while it sounded better than the events at Hyde Park, I didn't rate the Olympic Park at all as a venue. My own personal preference sides with Hyde Park. PJ at Hyde Park was very good but tarnished slightly by the large number of utter dickheads in attendance - not something I usually notice at arena shows.

There did seem to be a fair amount of non-PJ fans there that day.
  • Options
    Eraserhead wrote:
    Yep, Hyde Park is dead last on my list of shows. I still enjoyed it, but the crowd/venue had a negative affect on the day.

I had a really good time and PJ played as well as ever. But the volume was way too low and there were too many idiots in the crowd that kept moaning when Ed asked them to take steps back - which shows they know nothing about the band.

But it was a good day and I enjoyed myself...

34454_411721749859_7517715_n.jpg?lvh=1
  • Options
    there were some absolute dicks at hard rock the year aerosmith player (2007?)

saw endless fights all day
  • Options
  • Options
    piedropiedro Posts: 53
    Perkele, now it's time to come to Finland.
  • Options
    Well, now Soundgarden are supporting Sabbath in Europe next June...when will the PJ tour be?
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    DavieBDavieB Posts: 222
    There hasn't been a mention of SCOTLAND on this page yet.

Please go about your business as normal. :lol:
  • Options
    DavieB wrote:
    There hasn't been a mention of SCOTLAND on this page yet.

Please go about your business as normal. :lol:

Really? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    I see a new thread was started about the sabbath/soundgarden dates - sorry.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Olivavu wrote:
    Eraserhead wrote:

I had a really good time and PJ played as well as ever. But the volume was way too low and there were too many idiots in the crowd that kept moaning when Ed asked them to take steps back - which shows they know nothing about the band.

But it was a good day and I enjoyed myself...

34454_411721749859_7517715_n.jpg?lvh=1

It was a good concert and I loved Red Mosquito and Of the Earth, but the crowd was horrible. I was up front, had to leave at one point, for it was like a wall pressing you against the rails. It was the most horrid security issue I have experienced during a PJ concert. I ended up with all of my ribs bruised on my right side (one almost broken) and a slight dislocated elbow. Mainly because of some drunk idiots that kept on pushing from the back.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Olivavu wrote:
    There were too many dicks that day.

Not the norm for a PJ gig.

No I know. I have been to many PJ concerts before that and after that and this was not in anyway represetative. But it was the first time during a concert - any concert for that matter (I have been to TOOL, System of a Down etc.) - where I was litterally scared for my life. You know sometimes you get in this mosh and you can still move. There is a wave going through the crowd, if you know what I mean. During this concert however it was a *wall*. It was a terrifying experience. There was no way I could go. And I think that the band felt uncomfortable themselves. The next concert was in the Netherlands and I was there (Nijmegen). The bodyguard of Eddie Vedder was standing on the stage the whole night. Thank God the crowd was better. Which was a good thing, because London scared me to such an extent that I didn't even dare to go up front. I was literally afraid and at some point (the night after London) I was even debating if I should cancel all my shows. (I had four or so lined up.)

I cannot tell you how terrifying it was and still to this very day, I don't feel comfertable in crowded places. I think we sometimes underestimate the power of the crowd. And what such an experience does to people.
  • Options
    There were too many people there who weren't Pearl Jam fans.

The problem with shows at Hyde Park is that because it is in central London, a lot of people will get tickets for whatever bands play there just so they can have a day out.

The fact that loads of people booed when Ed asked them to move back three steps goes to show how many idiots were there.