Options

*** Bern Fanviews Here 13/9 ***

Comments

• Options
    Just got home from the show. I liked the setlilst! But the sound in front was absolutely crap. One thing that hasn´t been discussed: To me Eddie seemed to be in a bad mood + seemed to be ill. He barely talked to the fans and didn´t even make his "security advice" before the show.
    Hey, could you stand another drink,
    Better when I don't think,
    It seems to get me through.
  • Options
    I loved the concert, the setlist was great but i missed songs like solat, black oder crazy mary. but thats ok..
    I think eddie wasn't in a bad mood, he just seemed to be ill. But he looked very satisfied and happy during alive, when the whole crowd sang with him.. that was so amazing. The end was perfect! why go, ritfw, yellow ledbetter and finally little wing. great! i was also very happy that they played jeremy AND alive and even garden.. It was my first pj gig, so i have nothing to compare with, but for me it was the best concert i've ever seen.
    13/9/06: Bern
    12/6/07: Munich
    23/6/07: Southside Festival
  • Options
    MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    The key words in american culture are I, me, my, buy, consume, whatelse... the more stuff you buy, the hardcore fan you are... isn't that right..
    i dont get it...maybe because im not american??

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

• Options
    Great gig. First thing to mention is the beautiful weather we had all day before hand, and that Bern is a really beautiful city! Second thing was the venue. It's called an "arena" and is big potentialy, but the way the event was set up, it was hardly an "arena" gig I thought. Maybe it is in European standards where countries are less densly populated, but after being used to big arena gigs in the UK, and expecting something along the same lines, I was shocked when I walked in to see this little stage set up on the horizontal side of the ice rink (it would have hugely increased capacity if it was at one of the ends). It meant the standing area was quite wide but not very deep, this meant it was easy to get a good view and it didn't feel that squashed up front relative to normal big gigs. For those who wanted to sit, the steep sloping terrace meant good views all round. I don't know if this kind of set up is normal for PJ as it was the first time I saw them, but it was a nice suprise.

My Morning Jacket were pretty rubbish, wish we'd had the Black Keys instead. There was the odd decent track which got the crowd quite into it, but it was pretty boring mostly I thought.

For PJ - The crowd were pretty friendly. At the front there was some small patches of slam dancing now and again which most people weren't into, but there was quite a problem-free mosh most of the time for the front few rows. It was a heavy set but the crowd felt pretty relaxed.

I thought it was a great set, Encore 1 was amazing, (Garden, Low Light, Do The Evolution, Alive), with the crowd really upbeat and lively at this point, and then the three finishers (Rockin' In The Free World, Yellow Ledbetter, Little Wing) really brought the atmopshere to a wonderful climax. They put all the lights on full so we could all see eachother, and i was seeing smiles all round as everyone was jumping around and singing along to rocking in the free world... wonderful. It was good to be able to be so close to the band too, refreshing after having been to some big gigs this summer where to be so close means breaking ribs.

This may be a cliche for fans who have been to many gigs, but for me, having not seen them before, singing along and rocking out to Alive, which they got right into, was just amazing!

Elsewhere, I was glad to hear Army Reserve, one of the better tracks off the new album I thought - I'm not as keen on Severed Hand and World Wide Suicide etc (Unemployable and Inside Job are more my thing). Low Light was great, and a nice rareity, but one of the best moments was Sleight of Hand, with some lovely green/yellow lights bouncing off the big disco ball. Eddie seemed really into this track. You Are was ace, because the lyrics are really good and they fitted in perfectly with where Eddie was taking us lyricaly towards the close of the concert. Whether the lyrical climax was intentional or not it worked well to create a very positive vibe.

The sound may have been not so good at the very front as the hanging PA was sticking out past the front few rows, but about 10 rows back it wasn't too bad, although sometimes the guitars weren't balanced well, and the vocals were a bit quiet, but those issues seemed to resolve themselves. The keys were pretty inaudible all night though. Not bad sound though on the whole.

With so many good tracks to chose from, it's unlikely you'll hear the set you want, not so many of my real favourites were there (Immortality, Cordorouy, Daughter, Light Years, Release, Given To Fly) but there were some great songs (Garden/RITFW/YL) and a few nice suprises. It was a heavy set, not much on the lighter more poignant side of things (which is them at their best I think), but great for the type of set it was - lots from Ten.

Eddie seemed fine to me... perhaps just a bit concious of not being able to speak German to the crowd (which is a shame because I think the Swiss are generally so good with languages anyway, I don't think speaking in English would have been much of a problem). Also I was suprised to read people saying the set was short...? I think you're perhaps spoild by many exceptional PJ gigs (?), but this was by average gig standards a pretty long set! Just right I thought. I was unable to see them in the UK, so I was stoked to be able to see them in Switzerland, I would much rather have been there last night than in the big squash at Reading or Leeds.

All in all, to cut a long post short, this gig was one of the best I've been to!
    BERN 13/09/2006
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    edved82 wrote:
    am i the only one who thinks thats a great setlist? sleight of hand, you are, satans bed, dissident, breakerfall, garden, low light.............
    I agree with you. Looks great to me! There's something about Dissident, Immortality, and Indifference that take the concert up a notch. Besides Lost Dogs songs, of course :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    They were going to play InsideJob in the 1st encore and sometimes for the opener.... would have been exceptional but it was still a good show... Hi to everyone i saw yesterday :)
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • Options
    BlooBloo Posts: 11
    I'm so jealous I was thinking of going to Bern and would have loved to have heard Hail Hail and Army Reserve (my favourite song at the moment) so looked like an excellent set to me....
    Wembley 29/10/1996, Wembley 29/5/2000, Reading 27/8/2006, Paris 11/9/2006
  • Options
    andychandych Posts: 130
    Just home from the gig and the first thing that struck me was the stage set up.Why didnt they set up at the end of the rink?,but fuck it,i thought it fuckin rocked from start to finish and the crowd were totally unbelievable.
    All this fuckin snobbery about it being a C set list is really beyond me.I hardly think there was one person there last night who thought of it as such.
    I had a truly great night out so thank you PJ.
    p.s the guy who caught the tambourine left of stage looked pretty pleased with himself :)..
    great night.
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • Options
    ManuManu Posts: 40
    andych wrote:
    Just home from the gig and the first thing that struck me was the stage set up.Why didnt they set up at the end of the rink?

That's exactly what I was asking myself too. Well, didn't affect the show in anyway, so...

Personally, I think that the discussions about the set lists are ridiculous. I was completely happy to see Pearl Jam, couldn't care less about the set list!
    andych wrote:
    p.s the guy who caught the tambourine left of stage looked pretty pleased with himself :)..

Haha, I kept an eye on this guy as well, quite funny indeed.
    2000-06-23 Zurich
    2006-09-13 Bern
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    All I would say about the set list is that the first encore was like 3-4 songs short. Normally it seems like they play a few more. I could see the setlist and changes made. Leaving Here, Last Kiss and Inside Job were among the songs cut. Nothing was added.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    hail hail from last night.crappy quality but WTF..enjoy

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q3895OA1
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • Options
    To the American calling this a "C setlist"? fuck off,

Why all the resentment towards America? You could of said; fan, person, asshole, etc....
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x09ID_pc0pA

without words........................
  • Options
    go78go78 Posts: 4
    it was great. thought the whole day about it. still dreaming.
    thanks to all swiss fans for making noise. doesn't happen everyday here.

band was magic. thankyouthankyouthankyou
  • Options
    I can't wait to see the next PJ Show ^^ But not this year :(
  • Options
    I think the stage set up was to provide the best views, the way it was the crowd was close and most had a head on view. If the stage was at the end then most people seated would have been looking sideways and the people seated at the back would have been really far away. The set up also meant less squash for the standing because it wasn't deep. All this was probably only possible becuase of the relatively lower ticket demand for this concert (which despite people claiming otherwise wasn't sold out as ticketcorner never stopped selling tickets and you could see at the gig that there was room for more especially if they had gone for a different stage plan). Lucky us!

Yeh Tamborine catcher was funny. I nearly caught a drum stick, it deflected off my hand then 3 idiots proceded to fight over it for a few minutes and miss PJ leaving the stage, but fortunately the guy who originally caught it held tight and got it in the end...
    BERN 13/09/2006
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    DaganUK wrote:

Yeh Tamborine catcher was funny. I nearly caught a drum stick, it deflected off my hand then 3 idiots proceded to fight over it for a few minutes and miss PJ leaving the stage, but fortunately the guy who originally caught it held tight and got it in the end...
    I saw that too. Fucking idiots fighting over a drumstick. We had to pull one dude off the guy who caught it.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Hey Guys & Girls,

Had a great time in Bern last night !
    Definitly worth the trip,
    To be honest it was not my first choice but now I do not regret it for a moment :)
    Lot of difference with antwerp setlist ( lucky enough for me)
    Little shorter maybe, but more intense as well...thanks to the crowd!
    2 hours of PJ ...
    Eddy walked on stage like he was " Jack Sparrow " himself
    If johnny depp needs a replacement for a 4th movie He's the MAN !

Tried to shoot photos in the pit... but lot of movement made it little harder..
    went little backwards during Rockin in A free World...so had few minutes to take photos without being pushed ;)

Just check out yourself and enjoy ....

grtz
    Justdimi,

http://www.pinterest.com/justdimi/
    www.facebook.com/dimitri.sponselee
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/justdimi/
    ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
  • Options
    I think the set is great.

*shrugs*
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    oryxoryx Posts: 1
    Great Band, great show, fantastic crowd and the worst soundquality i can remember. The arena is made for hockeygames and not for rockconcerts. If not Jim Morrison himself will appear there i'll never go there again.

You can listen to the liveconcert 20. September 2006, 20.03-22.00 h, on Swiss Radio DRS3

http://www.drs3.ch

Cheers
    Tom
  • Options
    Hi there,

wow, what a evening!!! Finally after 6 years... THANK YOU PEARL JAM!

I grew up with this band... From 15-30... And hopefully another 15 years!

Ok, accustic could have been better but fuck it... They kicked the shit out of us!

Hopefully they wont let us wait another 6 years. Please, please don't let us down! We love you guys!

And we speak and understand English and American too!!! :)

Keep on rocking in the free world!!!

Much love

M

PS: Anybody know why it took 6 years to come back? Was it because of the Roskilde tragedy?
    Zürich 2000
    Bern 2006
    Southside Festival 2007
    Berlin 2010
    Berlin 1&2 2012
    Milano 2014
    EV-Solo Amsterdam 2017
    Padova 2018
    Prague 2018
    Zürich 2022
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Finally some songs from Riot Act and Binaural!! About time they should keep it up maybe start playing NAIS and Thin Air. The Euro sets have been above standard so far and way more mixed than leg 1 of the US tour especially.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    The setlist looks pretty awesome, Binaural and Riot Act finally made their ways and have been performed - although I can't imagine a weak setlist on a Pearl Jam show...only if they play Red Dot (from Yield) 28 times:)!!!
    Glad to read you all had a great time!!!

How many tickets were not sold in the Swiss capital???
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    Dercheef wrote:
    I saw that too. Fucking idiots fighting over a drumstick. We had to pull one dude off the guy who caught it.
    I was right next to that, too. I nearly caught the stick :( . Did you pull off that bolded guy? He was a fucking idiot and drunk as hell.
    Hey, could you stand another drink,
    Better when I don't think,
    It seems to get me through.
  • Options
    Haven`t heard the official attendance but i reckon it was upwards of 10,000.
    and what a noise too :)
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • Options
    Tages Anzeiger says it was 11'000
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Andy your sig is wrong... there is no 13th month, silly! :p

Anyway yeah the crowd was 108 decibals, according to the sound guy's sensor.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    ...and Mr. Tinnitus is still on a visit in my left ear... Never had that before! Even not in Zurich 6 years ago. Must be my age :)
    Zürich 2000
    Bern 2006
    Southside Festival 2007
    Berlin 2010
    Berlin 1&2 2012
    Milano 2014
    EV-Solo Amsterdam 2017
    Padova 2018
    Prague 2018
    Zürich 2022
  • Options
    kikakika Posts: 10
    who do you start thanking after something so amasing happens? TEN CLUB? The FANS? The BAND? This feeling is lasting and I just cant say or find the right words to describe it...
    I am bruised, my bones hurt like hell and I havent got real sleep in the last week.. but it was all worth it
    I love you guys, all of you, the ones singing and the ones dancing and the ones that had this look in their eyes, you know which one...
    see you all soon
    kika
    s agapw giati eisai wraia
    s agapw giati eisai esy
    kai agapw kai olo ton kosmo
    giati zeis kai esy mazi
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    Andy your sig is wrong... there is no 13th month, silly! :p

Anyway yeah the crowd was 108 decibals, according to the sound guy's sensor.

In Europe (or at least in germany^^) the day comes before the month.

9/13/06 is the same as 13/9/06