Options

I don't think Unthought Known should be played this much

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited October 2013
    I wasn't even in the loop when Backspacer when it came out. I was all in (as far as buying tapes (!) and CDs and being spoken to by the music) from the beginning up through Binaural, but I had semi-drifted away when the Riot Act was released and while I initially orbited the avocado, but wasn't completely pulled in by it's gravity.

When I did see PJ on Austin City Limits, quite by accident, and was floored by the Red Mosquito, I bought tickets to my first show the next day. One of the songs played at Bristow was Unthought Known. My first thought, I swear, was this song is like the music that Wyld Stallyns wrote that brought on the advent of a more advanced civilization, no war, an end to poverty, dog and cats living in peace. I was like "way to go, Ed...now everyone will know."

I developed a amazing relationship with that particular song, and the entire Backspacer album for that matter, and any opportunity to hear UK live or i-podded or on record is something that makes this band the only game in town for me.

Rolling your eyes because you think a song is played too much? You are entitled to that opinion, but I am entitled to the opinion that there are real problems in the world and Unthought Known being played too much does not make the list.

If you said they played Unthought Known during the World Series on Fox and that bothered me because of the obvious connection to Fox News and Fox News is staffed and operated by the radical right wing of the Republican Party, people who appear to be living in an alternate dimension. I'm pretty sure the mindset at Fox News isn't shared by members of the band...Does anybody else have a problem with that? See, that's what we call interesting. The same with your Betterman argument, or the weak claim that it had been wussified, whatever that means. Not completely thought out before typing.

It makes it hard for everyone to take you seriously if you whine about shit that isn't really a problem. That's not a personal attack, just a statement of fact.

Oh, and once I came to my senses, Riot Act and Pearl Jam got their hooks in me QUICK. Save You (also played in Bristow at my first show...), oh my god, that song kills. They should play THAT during the World Series, or better yet use it is the coming out of commercial song to The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson or Geraldo at Large.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    To the OP, form your own band and then don't play it all you want.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    know1 wrote:
    To the OP, form your own band and then don't play it all you want.
    hehe..i think this remind me of something.. :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Unthought has never done it for me. Somewhat cringe worthy unfortunately. I agree I'd rather hear something else.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    Backspacer sucks
    1.Vs
    2.No Code
    3.Yield
    4.Lost Dogs
    5.Lightning Bolt
    6.Ten
    7.Vitalogy
    8.Binaural
    9.Riot Act
    10.Pearl Jam
    11.Backspacer

you put lighting bolt ahead of ten? really? um ok.

unthought known is a kick ass live song; I welcome it at every show I go to. Does it have to be played at every show? no. But the crowd loves it (I didn't see a lull at pj20 when this was played) and the band seems to really enjoy playing it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    But the crowd loves it (I didn't see a lull at pj20 when this was played) and the band seems to really enjoy playing it.

Yep. Made Stone jump around in Philly. That's a good sign of the band enjoying it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    so let's not play any of the other the vast amount of other songs in Pearl Jam's catalog so we can play Unthought Known more often because obviously after reading this Unthought Known is the greatest song ever written, it is obviously so much better than:
    ALL songs being played less than Unthought Known this tour

Deep
    Garden
    Once
    W.M.A.
    Dissident
    Satan's Bed
    Whipping
    Not For You
    Sometimes
    Who You Are
    In My Tree
    Off He Goes
    Red Mosquito
    Around The Bend
    All Those Yesterdays
    In Hiding
    Low Light
    Wishlist
    Brain Of J
    Nothing As It Seems
    Thin Air
    Insignificance
    Of The Girl
    Grievance
    Rival
    Sleight Of Hand
    Parting Ways
    Save You
    Love Boat Captain
    Ghost
    I Am Mine
    Thumbing My Way
    You Are
    Get Right
    Green Disease
    Help Help
    Bu$hleaguer
    1/2 Full
    All Or None
    Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Parachutes
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Gone
    Wasted Reprise
    Army Reserve
    Come Back
    Inside Job
    The End
    Force of Nature
    Speed of Sound
    Supersonic
    Amongst The Waves
    Down
    Sad
    Hold On
    Undone
    Whale Song
    Gremmie Out of Control
    Leaving Here
    U
    Wash
    Footsteps
    Hard To Imagine
    Other Side
    Fatal
    Driftin'
    Strangest Tribe
    Bee Girl
    Brother
    Dirty Frank

sorry, I would rather hear any of these song played more than Unthought Known, but obviously most of you think I am wrong, we just have different tastes, you all think that UK is one of the best songs ever written by Pearl Jam if you would rather sacrifice hearing most these songs more to hear Unthought Known all the time, now I already know what is going to happen, people are going to pick and choose songs off this list and say that it isn't better, instead of doing that because that requires little to no thought, see if there are not at least 10 songs on this list that you would not want to hear played more than UK, because if there are at least 10 songs, than that proves my point that it is being overplayed and if not I hope they play Unthought Known more often for you, I on the other hand will be looking forward to the next song
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    But the crowd loves it (I didn't see a lull at pj20 when this was played) and the band seems to really enjoy playing it.

Yep. Made Stone jump around in Philly. That's a good sign of the band enjoying it.

I'm all most positive you walked right passed me at the brooklyn show but I didn't know your name; I didn't want to scream out, hey spirtual chaos! lol
  • Options
    You're insufferable. And I'm not an Unthought Known fan either. But for fuck's sake....
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    You're insufferable. And I'm not an Unthought Known fan either. But for fuck's sake....

Yeah....the OP seems a little butthurt about this song...... :? :roll:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    cool then use the block feature, don't worry my feelings won't be hurt, but if you have nothing better than to do than bitch about it, and not add anything to the discussion, that is probably the best route for you
  • Options
    I was just reminded why I don't post in the op's threads. :lol:
  • Options
    It's not about what we want to hear.....(Sometimes those request threads get annoying), it's about the band writing that setlist for that night and making sure everyone has a special show. If they wanted (Or actually could remember how to play those songs :lol: ) I'm sure they would. If Unthought makes the band happy and makes most of the crowed happy, it's common sense.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

nope just rather hear other songs more, because I think there are better songs in their catalog not being played, pretty simple actually, you are reading more into this than really what is there
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

I too wish the setlists were only made up of the "good" songs. Who carefully crafts those pieces of shit?
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:

nope just rather hear other songs more, because I think there are better songs in their catalog not being played, pretty simple actually, you are reading more into this than really what is there

Which is fine, we all have PJ songs we want to hear and wouldn't care to hear. But I'm not sure it's entirely sure we need to make threads about them. For example, I'm not the biggest fan of Garden or Immortality....but others love it and if they were played at a show I'm at, I doubt I would complain about it....But hey...that's just me....
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

You don't like Unthought known. We get it. But, a lot of people do and you can't seem to handle that. So what's the fucking point of this thread?
  • Options
    Seriously...
  • Options

You don't like Unthought known. We get it. But, a lot of people do and you can't seem to handle that. So what's the fucking point of this thread?
    to discuss music, not sure where all you hostility is coming from though, just use the block feature so I can discuss music with people who are adult enough to discuss it without losing their temper, thanks
  • Options
    What an absolutely ridiculous thread. So many people on here that, once again, fail to accept that other people can have an opinion that differs from their own
  • Options
    What an absolutely ridiculous thread. So many people on here that, once again, fail to accept that other people can have an opinion that differs from their own

I agree....it's just that it seems that people on here have opinions on every single thing and make posts on things that we've already seen.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

• Options
    thanks, just wanted to discuss the song :lol: it's just music
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,107
    edited October 2013
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    mcgruff10 wrote:

I'm all most positive you walked right passed me at the brooklyn show but I didn't know your name; I didn't want to scream out, hey spirtual chaos! lol
    Hehe. I wasn't at the Brooklyn shows. If you don't mean outside? I walked around outside the arena night 2 right before everyone started going inside contemplating buying a ticket for 200 dollars from those shady characters walking around selling tickets... but decided not and went "home"...

:)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's not really a discussion, it's a rant. Much the same as your "wussification" rant against Betterman.

If you want to discuss PJ music, I'd definitely bring more to the table than "why do they play THIS song or THAT song so much, this song and that song is so played out to me at this point it sucks".

just my opinion, but I think the "hostility" directed at you may come directly from the fact that everyone who voices an opinion that differs from yours, you ignore, and just keep skipping along saying the same thing over and over again. I don't know you, but you seem to be kind of a douche.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    DISAGREE top 10 song for me.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    DISAGREE top 10 song for me.
    :thumbup: and I can respect that, we just have different tastes, not the end of the world
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    thefixer9 wrote:

Have you been to any of the shows on this tour, or plan to go any of them?
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    It's not really a discussion, it's a rant. Much the same as your "wussification" rant against Betterman.

If you want to discuss PJ music, bring more to the table than "this song sucks".
    where did I ever say this song sucks? it's nice when people invent stuff, and attach it to you as though you actually said it, I think it is a middle of the road song maybe a top 50 song for me, but hardly to the degree that I think the song sucks, few Pearl Jam songs ever reach that level for me. Pearl Jam songs I think suck:

Johnny Guitar
    Ole'
    Olympic Platinum

and next time stick to the facts
  • Options
    I am going to Phoenix thanks boyo79 I know you are always so concerned for me
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    boyo79 wrote:
    Have you been to any of the shows on this tour, or plan to go any of them?

That was my question... How many shows have you been to this tour where they have played this song?