Options

I don't think Unthought Known should be played this much

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    so what you're saying is you're down for a Phoenix UK opener, followed by Ole AND Johnny Guitar. Hopefully then you'll leave and let everyone else ENJOY themselves.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    I'm all most positive you walked right passed me at the brooklyn show but I didn't know your name; I didn't want to scream out, hey spirtual chaos! lol[/quote]
    Hehe. I wasn't at the Brooklyn shows. If you don't mean outside? I walked around outside the arena night 2 right before everyone started going inside contemplating buying a ticket for 200 dollars from those shady characters walking around selling tickets... but decided not and went "home"...

:)[/quote]

damn I wish I would have known. I sold an extra ticket for friday (lower level) and sat for face! damn

and it was outside!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    so what you're saying is you're down for a Phoenix UK opener, followed by Ole AND Johnny Guitar. Hopefully then you'll leave and let everyone else ENJOY themselves.
    hardly would I leave, and actually an Unthought Known opener wouldn't be bad, and maybe you could look in the mirror sometime and try being a nicer person
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i love it
    danny d
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    For someone who goes on about respect rarely do I see respect being shown to others in your posts BBH. I think what happens is you want to open a discussion but end up having a rant instead. Calling a song "basically a kids song" is not a discussion or respectful lets be honest. I don't like Unthought Known, already stated that in this thread. Because people may disagree I think some hostility starts to appear and you go defensive and repeat and repeat your point but then also start changing your original point. And then start arguing with others. You may not realise this and others are at fault too but I feel if you worded your original post better we would see less of these threads.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I'm so glad you straightened me out. This has been the best discussion I've ever had.

THANKS.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    Love this song, will never get old for me. Almost had Unthought Known tattooed on my body, that's how much I love this song.
    And I don't even like tattooes. :lol:
  • Options
    boyo79 wrote:
    For someone who goes on about respect rarely do I see respect being shown to others in your posts BBH. I think what happens is you want to open a discussion but end up having a rant instead. Calling a song "basically a kids song" is not a discussion or respectful lets be honest. I don't like Unthought Known, already stated that in this thread. Because people may disagree I think some hostility starts to appear and you go defensive and repeat and repeat your point but then also start changing your original point. And then start arguing with others. You may not realise this and others are at fault too but I feel if you worded your original post better we would see less of these threads.
    the kids song thing was misstated, and I will take that back, but I never said I didn't like the song or that it sucks, saying that a song is being overplayed is a far leap from saying it sucks
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Love this song, will never get old for me. Almost had Unthought Known tattooed on my body, that's how much I love this song.

That's awesome! What line is it and where did you get it?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    thefixer9 wrote:

That's awesome! What line is it and where did you get it?

You missed the word "Almost" :lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    nope just rather hear other songs more, because I think there are better songs in their catalog not being played, pretty simple actually, you are reading more into this than really what is there

You don't like Unthought known. We get it. But, a lot of people do and you can't seem to handle that. So what's the fucking point of this thread?
    I think he just wanted to talk about it.... why not just let him do so in peace?? You don't have to get in on the conversation if you don't see any point in it. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Because he actively makes it so that everyone else cannot enjoy themselves when he doesn't like the song being played?? ... I don't think his opinion impacts you or anyone else, does it??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Because he actively makes it so that everyone else cannot enjoy themselves when he doesn't like the song being played?? ... I don't think his opinion impacts you or anyone else, does it??
    it is not even about UK being played, it is about all the songs not being played
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    nope just rather hear other songs more, because I think there are better songs in their catalog not being played, pretty simple actually, you are reading more into this than really what is there

You don't like Unthought known. We get it. But, a lot of people do and you can't seem to handle that. So what's the fucking point of this thread?
    I think he just wanted to talk about it.... why not just let him do so in peace?? You don't have to get in on the conversation if you don't see any point in it. :)
    thanks Soul :D
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    it is not even about UK being played, it is about all the songs not being played
    Yeah, I see your point. I don't mind them playing it regularly just because I do recognize that some people are nuts for this song. I would also rather hear a lot of other things though.
  • Options
    Personally, I think they should open with Unthought known, and then close with Unthought Known.
    And they can play it in the middle of the set too.

Great song.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I really like this song and is the #2 song for me on Backspacer behind Fixer.
  • Options
    I loved hearing it in Hartford last night!! :D:D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    I loved hearing it in Hartford last night!! :D:D

Was pretty great last night
  • Options
    I thought the crowd was really into it last night-I enjoy it so much! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I thought the crowd was really into it last night-I enjoy it so much! :D

Into it is an understatement! I was behind the stage people went crazy for UNthought Known!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,198
    there are so many great Pearl Jam songs that rarely get played and now you want to play Unthought Known nearly every show, if you guys want to add a song to the regular rotation, pick a great song like In Hiding, I mean seriously, maybe he is playing it for his daughters because it is basically a kid's song, and they are on tour with him, and if that is the case then I give Eddie a pass if he is being a good dad and playing it for his kids, but I really don't think it is the caliber of song that should be played nearly every show

Maybe the band actually likes the song and feels the meaning in it, and isn't just picking a random "rare" song like In Hiding which they may not be interested in playing at the moment. You may think the show is for you, but for the band to perform their best, they have to FEEL each song.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    The band likes crowd involvement. There are MORE Pearl Jam fans that are casual fans than there are fans that spend all day on this website and all day listening to Pearl Jam. This is not criticism of the latter group, I'm one of them. But let's be honest, of the xxx songs (pick a number) that are "better" (terrible adjective to use for music btw) than UK, how many are going to be recognizable and generate that same involvement from the casual fans? We like to hear songs like Wash and Alone, but guess what, if those were the only types of songs they played in concert, the arenas would eventually be half empty. There's plenty of stuff for the hardcore, so is it so awful that a song like UK, which is clearly a crowd pleaser, is taking up one slot? The point is that the relative "quality" of a song is not necessarily what determines if they play it so the whole line of discussion is almost moot anyway.

And just to be clear, I'm in no way suggesting that liking or disliking UK has any bearing of whether a person is a hardcore fan or not. I am making a generality that casual fans know and recognize this song, and quite honestly mostly expect to hear it when they go to a PJ concert.
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    Keep your Thoughts Unknown :lol:;):o
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    I like Unthought Known, think it's a great live song. Kinda surprised at some of the hostility I'm seeing towards Unthought. I'm not saying you can't like a PJ song there are certain ones for everyone.

Off topic but I would love to hear more Force of Nature. They can play what they want just keep playing!
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    ckravitz wrote:
    The band likes crowd involvement. There are MORE Pearl Jam fans that are casual fans than there are fans that spend all day on this website and all day listening to Pearl Jam. This is not criticism of the latter group, I'm one of them. But let's be honest, of the xxx songs (pick a number) that are "better" (terrible adjective to use for music btw) than UK, how many are going to be recognizable and generate that same involvement from the casual fans? We like to hear songs like Wash and Alone, but guess what, if those were the only types of songs they played in concert, the arenas would eventually be half empty. There's plenty of stuff for the hardcore, so is it so awful that a song like UK, which is clearly a crowd pleaser, is taking up one slot? The point is that the relative "quality" of a song is not necessarily what determines if they play it so the whole line of discussion is almost moot anyway.

And just to be clear, I'm in no way suggesting that liking or disliking UK has any bearing of whether a person is a hardcore fan or not. I am making a generality that casual fans know and recognize this song, and quite honestly mostly expect to hear it when they go to a PJ concert.

Probably one of the smartest post I've ever read on here
  • Options
    thanks Eddie from 20 years ago I feel the same way about Unthought Known
    http://youtu.be/QZ4NfnxrIX0?t=4m37s

having said that I respect all of you who want UK played every show, I just happen to feel like Eddie from 1993, no big deal, just make the song longer so I have more time to take a piss
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256

having said that I respect all of you who want UK played every show, I just happen to feel like Eddie from 1993, no big deal, just make the song longer so I have more time to take a piss

This post should read

"I just want attention, even if its bad I'd rather have people disagree with me than ignore me"

Your comments have no weight to them because you never listen to anyone else's opinion and continue to repeat the same thing over and over again, even when it seems EVERYONE disagrees with you.

Tell me this hank. How many pearl jam concerts have you been at where they play UK? Because from past comments you haven't been to a show since backspacer was released. So how do you even know what you are talking about?

UK may look boring to someone, on paper, when all they do is watch YouTube all day and the same songs can get tiresome.. But actually being in the building is a complete different matter when it comes to this song. The crowd is what makes this song enjoyable in concert. Maybe that's why you can't connect with this it.

And who are you to decide what the band should play? I don't think it is up to you. Not even a little bit.
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:

This post should read

"I just want attention, even if its bad I'd rather have people disagree with me than ignore me"

Your comments have no weight to them because you never listen to anyone else's opinion and continue to repeat the same thing over and over again, even when it seems EVERYONE disagrees with you.

Tell me this hank. How many pearl jam concerts have you been at where they play UK? Because from past comments you haven't been to a show since backspacer was released. So how do you even know what you are talking about?

UK may look boring to someone, on paper, when all they do is watch YouTube all day and the same songs can get tiresome.. But actually being in the building is a complete different matter when it comes to this song. The crowd is what makes this song enjoyable in concert. Maybe that's why you can't connect with this it.

And who are you to decide what the band should play? I don't think it is up to you. Not even a little bit.
    true I have not been to any shows since Las Vegas 2006, and when they play Phoenix this year I guess I will find out, but hearing it on the boots, it seems like an average song in their catalog, would much rather hear Love Boat Captain, but when I see it in Phoenix and I promise to give it an open mind, and maybe it will blow me away, I just hate that any song gets over played because it means other songs don't get played, and I like UK just not to this extreme level, I happen to enjoy at least 97% of Pearl Jam's catalog, so when they play a song over and over, it means I missed out on another song I could of hear instead
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    smanchac1 wrote:

This post should read

true I have not been to any shows since Las Vegas 2006, and when they play Phoenix this year I guess I will find out, but hearing it on the boots, it seems like an average song in their catalog, would much rather hear Love Boat Captain, but when I see it in Phoenix and I promise to give it an open mind, and maybe it will blow me away, I just hate that any song gets over played because it means other songs don't get played, and I like UK just not to this extreme level, I happen to enjoy at least 97% of Pearl Jam's catalog, so when they play a song over and over, it means I missed out on another song I could of hear instead

Thanks man. That's all ill ask of you is to give it a chance.

And yea - I agree that it could be every other night or once out of 3, with the amount of songs they have. But, since Ed is usually making setlists, I guess he enjoys the crowd reaction and the energy it brings. It's a good song! It doesn't feel forced in the way amongst the waves does..
    Which is a song I know you love. So it's really a matter of opinion and many people will have different ones. Just have to accept that or else you'll waste alot of unnecessary energy on something you can change anyway.

Glad to see you will have an open mind. I bet you will find yourself enjoyin it when the crowd screams those lines :)