Options

I don't think Unthought Known should be played this much

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited October 2013 in The Porch
there are so many great Pearl Jam songs that rarely get played and now you want to play Unthought Known nearly every show, if you guys want to add a song to the regular rotation, pick a great song like In Hiding, I mean seriously, maybe he is playing it for his daughters because it is basically a kid's song, and they are on tour with him, and if that is the case then I give Eddie a pass if he is being a good dad and playing it for his kids, but I really don't think it is the caliber of song that should be played nearly every show
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    ALOT of PJ fans love this song. I'm not one of them, never felt the love for Unthought Known. But I'm not going to complain because it is in the set alot. It's the band choice, maybe they enjoy playing the song. Maybe they know overall they get a good reaction to the song. It might not be your favourite song but that doesn't mean it should be dropped from the sets.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Same with Got Some, I can't believe they're still including that so much. Heard it in Pittsburgh and Buffalo.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    nomarnomar Posts: 65
    It's great - classic PJ build up and peaks with solid emotion. It's perfect in a concert setting. I completely disagree. Thankfully, so does Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    I respectfully disagree. My wife and I love this song, and I would be disappointed if they did not play this. It is the best song off Backspacer and still new to us. Don't get me wrong, I love In Hiding, but I would definitely be glad that they played Unthought Known.
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    nomar wrote:
    It's great - classic PJ build up and peaks with solid emotion. It's perfect in a concert setting. I completely disagree. Thankfully, so does Pearl Jam.
    Agreed...if this song doesn't move you, then I fear that you have truly missed something beautiful.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Love Unthought Known....by far my favorite song from Backspacer. Happy that this is a regular in the setlists still....it always seems to get a great reaction from the crowds
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    thank God they choose to play THAT song than others from Backspacer..

yeah,im looking at you Just Breathe and Supersonic..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Gotta have me some live gems and rhinestones, don't you?
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,742
    nomar wrote:
    Perfectly said. Agree 100%. A true "modern classic."
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    I like it, but I do think its in danger of getting overplayed.

Force of Nature, on the other hand..... not enough love for this one IMO.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    boyo79 wrote:
    ALOT of PJ fans love this song. I'm not one of them, never felt the love for Unthought Known. But I'm not going to complain because it is in the set alot. It's the band choice, maybe they enjoy playing the song. Maybe they know overall they get a good reaction to the song. It might not be your favourite song but that doesn't mean it should be dropped from the sets.

Agree, particularly the part about reaction. It is becoming quite the concert anthem with how the crowd reacts and while it's not my favorite otherwise, I love the energy it creates in the room live.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Not a good song, and the crowd response is pretty weak. If they feel like they need to play something off the album The Fixer gets great crowd response(along with Just Breathe) and Force of Nature is 10x the song.

If they can ditch the majority of Binaural and Riot Act, they can certainly drop all of Buttspacer.
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    Amongst The Waves>Unthought Known
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Whywhyzed wrote:
    Force of Nature, on the other hand..... not enough love for this one IMO.

Damn right. Best song on Backspacer IMO. I would love it if they started playing it again and if they do I'd love to see Mike's guitar bit towards the end of the song extended.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    probably their most overrated song to date, but it is fun live.
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Unthought Known is an awesome song. Was so happy to hear it at BK2. Got some as well (BK1) is great live.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    Amongst The Waves>Unthought Known

correct

but unthought known works live. i don't love it, but the band seems to. even stone who is not the most emotive member of the band gets VERY into it
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    It cracks me up how people make statements of opinion and try to present it as fact. I constantly hear people say certain songs are "overrated" or "terrible". I happen to love this song and won't be upset if I hear it at all 3 shows I attend. It's only my opinion of course, but the broad strokes some people use around here to paint is comical. In my humble opinion of course.
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    It's a great song. That's my opinion.
  • Options
    I love UK, so I am fine with heavy rotation
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Of course, I fuckin' love this song. Probably my favorite PJ song...although I don't think it's their best, but it's one of my favorites. Even though other Pearl Jam songs like In Hiding are fantatastic, I don't think they are as easy for the band to play, like Ed's vocals for example. I think Unthought gets pretty good crowd response, along with The Fixer as well. Sure...maybe the song doesn't need to be played everynight, but it's almost an anthem now, and the band seems to love playing it, and I for one would LOVE to see it on my first PJ show. What ever they decide to play that night, will be incredible either way though.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,891
    Its the one song where I don't get the love for it but I appreciate that they make the crowd go crazy
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    jmug23 wrote:
    It cracks me up how people make statements of opinion and try to present it as fact. I constantly hear people say certain songs are "overrated" or "terrible". I happen to love this song and won't be upset if I hear it at all 3 shows I attend. It's only my opinion of course, but the broad strokes some people use around here to paint is comical. In my humble opinion of course.

But aren't opinions just the facts as one person sees them?

No need to get all touchy about people not posting IMO every post. When I see a post like this it makes me wonder how secure some people are in their opinions.
  • Options
    Green GoblinGreen Goblin Philadelphia Posts: 17
    It's a good song that generates energy from the crowd. I like it in its current rotation.

And if they never played it, in a couple years there would be a bunch of "PLAY UNTHOUGHT KNOWN" threads on here.
    4.28.03-7.6.03-7.12.03-10.1.04-9.28.05-10.3.05-5.27.06-5.28.06-6.3.06-6.19.08-6.20.08-6.24.08-6.25.08-10.27.09-10.28.09-5.21.10-9.12.12-10.18.13-10.19.13-10.21.13-10.22.13
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    edited October 2013
    Played 5 of 8 shows so far, so its not played every night. And if it was... so what. I wouldnt mind if they did. Love this song. I hope to get to hear it in Oklahoma City. They are playing plenty of raraties and varying the setlists a ton. I dont really care if I ever hear Betterman live again but would never complain because its a crowd favorite and many people absolutely love the song. I enjoy what they choose to play every time. Have never been disappointed with a show ive seen.
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    there are so many great Pearl Jam songs that rarely get played and now you want to play Unthought Known nearly every show, if you guys want to add a song to the regular rotation, pick a great song like In Hiding, I mean seriously, maybe he is playing it for his daughters because it is basically a kid's song, and they are on tour with him, and if that is the case then I give Eddie a pass if he is being a good dad and playing it for his kids, but I really don't think it is the caliber of song that should be played nearly every show

They skipped Even Flow in Pittsburgh...think you were recently advocating for that "overplayed" song to get skipped once in a while. I for one like that the band plays what they want, and rarely do they listen to us rant about the one or two songs we want added/deleted from their setlist. An aside BBH, Better Man was phenomenal in The 'Burgh, too.

Note to band: play whatever you like. I have NEVER been disappointed by one of your setlists, which has been unique each and every show I've attended. If you want to play Unthought Known, play it! Thanks for mixing it up too...since 2010 I've been at shows where the band played Rats, Oceans, Alone, Garden, Deep, Wash, No Way, Bugs and Footsteps, just to name a handful. Loved 'em all...and loved Corduroy, Alive, RVM, DTE and the other "regular rotation" songs.

Bottom line, thanks for not recycling each show, night after night.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    Black73 wrote:

They skipped Even Flow in Pittsburgh...think you were recently advocating for that "overplayed" song to get skipped once in a while. I for one like that the band plays what they want, and rarely do they listen to us rant about the one or two songs we want added/deleted from their setlist. An aside BBH, Better Man was phenomenal in The 'Burgh, too.

Note to band: play whatever you like. I have NEVER been disappointed by one of your setlists, which has been unique each and every show I've attended. If you want to play Unthought Known, play it! Thanks for mixing it up too...since 2010 I've been at shows where the band played Rats, Oceans, Alone, Garden, Deep, Wash, No Way, Bugs and Footsteps, just to name a handful. Loved 'em all...and loved Corduroy, Alive, RVM, DTE and the other "regular rotation" songs.

Bottom line, thanks for not recycling each show, night after night.
    Well said brother!! :clap:
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    I've never really understood the hype with Unthought Known. That 'gems and rhinestones' line just ruins it for me. Even without that line the song seems pretty standard. Amongst the Waves is a better song.

I disagree about In Hiding, though. The song sounds pretty bad live because Eddie can't reach the "hiding" peak, anymore.
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    Maybe the band just plays the songs they like to play. Novel thought.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 267
    I don't dislike the song, but it's not the best off Backspacer. I admit, I sort of enjoy it live. I'd have picked any of the following BS songs ahead of it (in no specific order): The Fixer, Johnny Guitar, and Force of Nature. I'm just thankful it wasn't Just Breathe. I think hearing it both nights was a bit unncessary. Despite that, it was another great show overall.