Options

'Jimmy FAllon' Night 2 - Robin Pecknold 'Corduroy'

Comments

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    jasonw wrote:
    I dug it. Don't see where all the hate is coming from

Simple: Many people on here love to hate. They can't wait to get on here and throw up their latest bits of trash talk.
    I fucking loved that cover. Not to mention, the last two episodes of Fallon have been hilarious. Alec Baldwin on Monday was fucking ridiculous! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLk1YUEoKA
    Last night, with Johnny Noxville was God damn beauty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajS1dHF1Q4
    & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHiWiTBac4c

Check the links for some laughs :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    would love an mp3 rip of this & Cornell if anyone has them! thanks in advance!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Anyone get the mp3?
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    My 2 cents: wasn't great, but simple and honest. Heard the song in a different way. Cool to hear Pj covered by different sorts of musicians. Maybe someday we'll get a weird tribute album.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    DewieCox wrote:
    Kinda like the minor change with the intro riff, but after that it wasn't great. Hard to pull off PJ with such a happy sounding voice. The little musical freakout was pure garbage.

I don't think Fleet Foxes are really indie bullshit.

They're actually pretty talented and great, but they clearly should've chosen a different song or a more radical reworking to suit their style more. Probably not a lot of peoples' around here, bit they have a couple of pretty cool albums.b
    He sounded Happy to you?
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    That was awful. Absolutely no balls to it. That song is built on anger and disillusionment. That guy had none.
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:
    That was awful. Absolutely no balls to it. That song is built on anger and disillusionment. That guy had none.

Let's hear your cover. Not trying to be a smartass, I'd genuinely like to hear it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Pretty sure that is the worst possible version of this song..

May god have mercy on that mans soul..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

Let's hear your cover. Not trying to be a smartass, I'd genuinely like to hear it.
    Matt, I hear your point. and I play. and I think even shitty old me does a better version.. that was bad, dude.. really bad..

Should have been Cluthe/Lee up there..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    mfc2006 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

I don't have one, couldn't play one. But I know PJ, and this cover is shit.
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

Matt, I hear your point. and I play. and I think even shitty old me does a better version.. that was bad, dude.. really bad..

Should have been Cluthe/Lee up there..

Thanks for that, but that wasn't my point. Musically, it was interesting. He was playing the bass parts on guitar & the arrangement was different. Just my $0.02. I think he/they did a good job. I like the Fleet Foxes & this sounds nothing like the Fleet Foxes.

Covers are a tricky thing. Most people stay within the basic structure of the dong they're covering. To venture outside of that structure can be difficult, but also rewarding.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SM10080 wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:
    SM10080 wrote:

I don't have one, couldn't play one. But I know PJ, and this cover is shit.

As do I. Covers never sound like the original. It's his interpretation. And I think it's a good one, and you think it's bad. We agree to disagree. No harm in that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Thanks for that, but that wasn't my point. Musically, it was interesting. He was playing the bass parts on guitar & the arrangement was different. Just my $0.02. I think he/they did a good job. I like the Fleet Foxes & this sounds nothing like the Fleet Foxes.

Covers are a tricky thing. Most people stay within the basic structure of the dong they're covering. To venture outside of that structure can be difficult, but also rewarding.
    I believe this is a case of not rewarding.. Bob Dylan is one of my favorites, and MANY have taken chances at his songs.. Many do good.. some have missed with me..
    My opinion is that this guy just does not have the plums to pull it of on national, fuckin world wide television.. Yes, the musical arrangement was neat.. capo'd up to make a mountain out of a mole hill.. but his voice, his allegiance to the heart of the song's vocal was just not there.. His talents could have served another song better.. At least I hope..
  • Options
    ST279453ST279453 Posts: 195
    Still not sure about this version. I have never listened to the Fleet Foxes so I have no opinion on them or their music. When he started singing the first thing that popped into my head was The Frogs version of RVM which was quite a departure from the original as well.
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    Why all the hate? I thought it was fine. Obviously not as good as the original, but decent
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,440
    igotid88 wrote:
    I enjoyed it and love when artists put their own spin on another artist's song

the only issue I had was he got part of the lyrics wrong and didn't sing "not my picture, spilled on t-shirts"...he must be a forum member who insists on it being "tincture" ;)

Pretty sure it says tincture on the lyric book.

I think he said everything has changed. Instead of chains

I just like starting trouble as this debate has carried on the various forums we had for 1.5 decades now LOL
    and it is "changed" :)

Nope
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Caveeze wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

I believe this is a case of not rewarding.. Bob Dylan is one of my favorites, and MANY have taken chances at his songs.. Many do good.. some have missed with me..
    My opinion is that this guy just does not have the plums to pull it of on national, fuckin world wide television.. Yes, the musical arrangement was neat.. capo'd up to make a mountain out of a mole hill.. but his voice, his allegiance to the heart of the song's vocal was just not there.. His talents could have served another song better.. At least I hope..

I hear ya. You & I agree a lot...maybe not this time. I do agree that there are other PJ songs that would have suited his voice/style a bit better...but, I still like what he did here. Either way, I'm still buying you a beer in Seattle! :D
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    LD_and happyLD_and happy Portland, OR Posts: 107
    I consider myself a very committed PJ fan (not a fan of "hardcore") I live for the shows and can NOT wait for leg 2!

That said, Corduroy is in my top 3 PJ favs. I watched with respect to these fellas - and I liked it!
    It was 'not all that', but the intelligent interpretation was obvious and relevant. It is not suppose to sound like the PJ version - that's what makes it fun.
  • Options
    todd-otodd-o Posts: 19
    mfc2006 wrote:
    would love an mp3 rip of this & Cornell if anyone has them! thanks in advance!

also would love mp3s of these... anyone find them?
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Meh
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    This dude has such a gentle voice and demeanor, don't think Corduroy is his type of song. But I was kinda into it. I liked his take. Obviously every version of a PJ song done by someone else will be lesser quality for me, even Cornell's Footsteps.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    igotid88 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Pretty sure it says tincture on the lyric book.

I think he said everything has changed. Instead of chains

I just like starting trouble as this debate has carried on the various forums we had for 1.5 decades now LOL
    and it is "changed" :)

Nope

I think Ed's been singing it "Everything has changed. absolutely nothing's changed" live for a very long time. Haven't listened to Vitalogy in a couple years but I think it might be "chains" on the record. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    cifrancgxcifrancgx Columbus, OH USA Posts: 350
    grooveme wrote:
    Why all the hate? I thought it was fine. Obviously not as good as the original, but decent

I didn't "hate" it. I didn't like it either. Love Fleet Foxes though.

For those who haven't heard Fleet Foxes, give a listen to "Mykonos"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-dxG4WWf4
    George

Toledo, OH 1996 | Cuyahoga Falls, OH 1998 | Columbus, OH 2000,2003,2010 | Cleveland, OH 2003,2010 | Kitchener, London, Hamilton, ON 2005 | Pittsburgh 2013 | Cincinnati, OH 2006, 2014 | Lexington, KY 2016 | Indianapolis, IN 2023 (POSTPONED)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    cifrancgx wrote:
    grooveme wrote:

that is a wonderful track
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    TheGhost wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Kinda like the minor change with the intro riff, but after that it wasn't great. Hard to pull off PJ with such a happy sounding voice. The little musical freakout was pure garbage.

I don't think Fleet Foxes are really indie bullshit.

They're actually pretty talented and great, but they clearly should've chosen a different song or a more radical reworking to suit their style more. Probably not a lot of peoples' around here, bit they have a couple of pretty cool albums.b
    He sounded Happy to you?

That's not really the word I was looking for. Just no edge or darkness to his voice at all.
  • Options
    I was wondering if I was the only one who wasn't too impressed with this performance. I like Fleet Foxes' music and when I first heard he was doing Corduroy I was excited to hear this. After the song finished I turned to my wife and said, "well, that wasn't very good." She agreed and she likes Fleet Foxes more than I do. I really expected it to be a slowed down acoustic version. But what we got was a very tinny guitar sound, no bass and a very weak vocal. Bummer.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    cifrancgx wrote:
    grooveme wrote:

I liked it. Clearly more in his wheel house. With 6 million views with mostly likes clearly shows they have a pretty good fan base. The more musicians the merrier.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    I was wondering if I was the only one who wasn't too impressed with this performance. I like Fleet Foxes' music and when I first heard he was doing Corduroy I was excited to hear this. After the song finished I turned to my wife and said, "well, that wasn't very good." She agreed and she likes Fleet Foxes more than I do. I really expected it to be a slowed down acoustic version. But what we got was a very tinny guitar sound, no bass and a very weak vocal. Bummer.
    I love Fleet Foxes, and read all this before seeing it. I was all ready to defend him, but yeah I agree. I was extremely disappointed. Everyone's complaining or defending it by saying how he "made it his own" or changed it. If anything, I was surprised by how little he changed it (other than the weird freak out at the end). I too was expecting a folky "Fleet Foxes" version of Corduroy, which I think would have been cool. Also the guitars sounded out of tune to me. I could still listen to White Winter Hymnal about 100 times in a row and not be bored though. Their stuff is pretty amazing. My wife's response, who also loves FF more than me, was "Well that was... interesting." Which is her way of saying she hates something.
  • Options
    thought it was pretty cool,...not taking it too seriously. Its a tribute to a great song,...plain and simple. Of course we prefer the PJ version.
    Wish I could kick it out like that in my kitchen.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,307
    It was interesting to see a different take on Corduroy, the guy has a very different voice to Ed's.

Unfortunately I couldn't hear most of the first verse because my wife was laughing so loud. Let's just say she didn't like it...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)