Options

'Jimmy FAllon' Night 2 - Robin Pecknold 'Corduroy'

Comments

• Options
    wow what did they do to my favorite song ? That was ugly :shock: . BTW loved Chris Cornell's Footsteps 8-)
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Wow...after Cornell's great performance last night, this looks even worse. Fallon doesnt have any connections to find anyone better than this? This is what I imagine Creed would sound like covering a great song......I could barely make it through the performance.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    2nd time round i found it better. pretty cool version....
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Just watched it on DVR. That guy's voice sucks ass. I hope he gets dead for doing that to Pearl Jam. And I am a Jimmy Fallon fan, but he can go choke on a bag of dicks too. The point of a tribute week, at least I thought, was to honor and promote the band. Not destroy their work and turn people off. That shit pisses me off. I need a drink.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    He's a brilliant musician, but that rendition just didn't work for me at all. Wish I did, I love Robin Pecknold, love Fleet Foxes.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Just watched it on DVR. That guy's voice sucks ass. I hope he gets dead for doing that to Pearl Jam. And I am a Jimmy Fallon fan, but he can go choke on a bag of dicks too. The point of a tribute week, at least I thought, was to honor and promote the band. Not destroy their work and turn people off. That shit pisses me off. I need a drink.

what? :lol:
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,488
    wasn't feeling it either....wasn't very good.

But did like Cornell on Footsteps though
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I liked the drums. Closer to the original than how it's played by PJ now.

The voice being too clean didn't do it for me though.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    I enjoyed it and love when artists put their own spin on another artist's song

the only issue I had was he got part of the lyrics wrong and didn't sing "not my picture, spilled on t-shirts"...he must be a forum member who insists on it being "tincture" ;)
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750
    I really liked that but then Pearl Jam and jangly indie pop are two of
    my favourite things.

I thought Cornell's version of Footsteps was technically impressive (we knew it would be), but pretty bland. *ducks*

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,439

the only issue I had was he got part of the lyrics wrong and didn't sing "not my picture, spilled on t-shirts"...he must be a forum member who insists on it being "tincture" ;)

Pretty sure it says tincture on the lyric book.

I think he said everything has changed. Instead of chains
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    igotid88 wrote:

Pretty sure it says tincture on the lyric book.

I think he said everything has changed. Instead of chains

I just like starting trouble as this debate has carried on the various forums we had for 1.5 decades now LOL
    and it is "changed" :)
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    That song was not for him

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    This was way better than Cornell's footsteps. The person who said that the corduroy cover was going to turn off new fans needs to realize that it's not 1995 anymore and any possible new fans don't give a crap about Chris Cornell
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    This guy is a shining example why I don't listen to trendy, fucking nerd bands. Literally everything about him sucks including his haircut.

I was hoping Fallon would walk slowly on stage after the performance, stand beside him for two silent seconds, present him with one swift smack across the face, turn and slowly walk back to his chair.
  • Options
    gbpat54gbpat54 Posts: 69
    october22 wrote:
    This guy is a shining example why I don't listen to trendy, fucking nerd bands. Literally everything about him sucks including his haircut.

I was hoping Fallon would walk slowly on stage after the performance, stand beside him for two silent seconds, present him with one swift smack across the face, turn and slowly walk back to his chair.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I hope they do not have a trifecta tonight and fuck up "Alive". At least Mike will do his part :)
  • Options
    If tonight happens to be a fuck-up, Pearl Jam should come on Thursday and cover "Fuckin' Up" and change the lyrics to "Why do they keep fuckin' up?".
  • Options
    jasonw wrote:
    This was way better than Cornell's footsteps. The person who said that the corduroy cover was going to turn off new fans needs to realize that it's not 1995 anymore and any possible new fans don't give a crap about Chris Cornell

Even fewer people give a crap about Douchy McDouchetard with his pumpkin pie haircut, whatever the fuck his name is.
  • Options
    I'm so fucking sick of this indie rock superiority bullshit. Enough of you dickheads with your "Blahblahblah band is just so AMAZING, they are really the best ever even though only five people have ever fucking heard of them!" Jesus Christ, just enough already. The Flying Foxes or whatever, if they are so good, it's a shame that nobody knows them or gives a shit about them. Their lead singer sucks tremendously, that I'm sure of.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    PJ should've stuck with letterman instead of chasing ratings and trying to reach the kids.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    its_okits_ok Posts: 198
    I prefer bands doing there own thing with covers if they're covering PJ, otherwise it's just going to be a poor man's version of the original. Hearing seether doing immortality or that other guy doing Black just feels cheep to me. Nothing new, no reason to listen to it.

I didn't like this Corduroy version, but I enjoyed hearing something new done to it. The guys have my respect for trying!

Oh, and everyone knows Corduroy is PJs best song :D
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
    2012 Manchester, London 1, London 2
  • Options
    I'm so fucking sick of this indie rock superiority bullshit. Enough of you dickheads with your "Blahblahblah band is just so AMAZING, they are really the best ever even though only five people have ever fucking heard of them!" Jesus Christ, just enough already. The Flying Foxes or whatever, if they are so good, it's a shame that nobody knows them or gives a shit about them. Their lead singer sucks tremendously, that I'm sure of.

Lol, that was a tremendous amount of butthurt at one time, someone must have really upset you :D

Fleet foxes are great!
    PJ
    2000 Roskilde, 2006 Barcelona, 2007 London, Copenhagen, 2008 New York 1, New York 2, 2009 Berlin, 2010 Dublin, Belfast, 2012 Amsterdam 1, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, 2013 Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014 Milan, Trieste, Berlin, Stockholm, Milton Keynes

EV
  • Options
    And people should check them out!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-dxG4WWf4
    PJ

EV
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    october22 wrote:

I've missed you :lol:

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    its_ok wrote:

Lol, that was a tremendous amount of butthurt at one time, someone must have really upset you :D

Fleet foxes are great!

Do they have a different lead singer normally? I'd rather listen to drunken hillbilly karaoke
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    Johnny Knoxville playing battle shots with Fallon was fun especially when he "won" and still drank all of the shots of tequila and beer on both sides of the board.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    DPrival78 wrote:
    PJ should've stuck with letterman instead of chasing ratings and trying to reach the kids.

Maybe they realized what a grumpy old dickhead Letterman was, Jimmy is much happier to have the band on than Letterman ever was "We couldn't be more happy and proud to have Pearl Jam here" sounding like a robot saying it was really getting old.

This is all IMO of coarse :D:lol:
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I liked it. So sue me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Kinda like the minor change with the intro riff, but after that it wasn't great. Hard to pull off PJ with such a happy sounding voice. The little musical freakout was pure garbage.

I don't think Fleet Foxes are really indie bullshit.

They're actually pretty talented and great, but they clearly should've chosen a different song or a more radical reworking to suit their style more. Probably not a lot of peoples' around here, bit they have a couple of pretty cool albums.b