Options

'Jimmy FAllon' Night 2 - Robin Pecknold 'Corduroy'

Comments

• Options
    You could dismiss the song, but don't dismiss the artist. Fleet Foxes are one of the absolute best bands out there today. Supremely talented in a sea of garbage. Apples to Oranges compared to Pearl Jam's music, but you'd be missing out if you didn't give em a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-dxG4WWf4

Absolutely!!!
    Manchester 17.8.09, Manchester 21.6.12, Copenhagen 10.7.12, Manchester 28.7.12 (EV), Phoenix 19.11.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Vienna 25.6.14, Leeds 8.7.14, London 6.6.17 (EV), London 18.6.18, Krakow 3.7.18, London 17.7.18, Dublin 3.7.19 (EV)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    At least the drummer was ready to rock. That sucked. I don't even think his guitar was in tune and that little deal at the end was really lame.

They should have picked a different song. That was like changing the Star Spangled Banner
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The only time the top of your guitar should be that close to your chin is when your sitting down. Does that dude always hold a guiitar like that?
  • Options
    SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    Holy crap that was terrible.
  • Options
    I cannot stand reading these threads sometimes. They're always filled with so much negativity. I thought the performance was great. What more do you want, some washed up band from the 90s covering the song? Someone YOU are familiar with because if you aren't familiar with them they probably suck?

I think it's wonderful that a performer such as Robin Pecknold, who has lead one of the better, more unique bands of the last 10 years, is taking a shot at it and making it his own. It shows the younger generation, who are into good music, that maybe Pearl Jam sings some songs other than Evenflow.

But please, by all means, continue fussing about whether someone is going to light up a cig at shows or how the Charlottesville crowd is going to be because it's in a college town. Jesus.

*Rant over* :)
  • Options
    PJ51390PJ51390 Atlanta Posts: 728
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I've never heard Fleet Foxes before.....and I had low expectations for this performance...but I ended up really enjoying it. I've never been a fan of Chris Cornell and I thought his performance of Footsteps was somewhat boring...but I felt this cover of Corduroy was actually interesting.

I could not have said it any better. I agree 100%, but I am a fan of Cornell, just didn't care for his version of Footsteps.
  • Options
    Guys..its a cover..his interpretation of the song..if you listen to Fleet Foxes , then you know he made this his style..
    you don't need to like it, but you don't need to bash the guy either.
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • Options
    ChuyChuy Posts: 37
    I cannot stand reading these threads sometimes. They're always filled with so much negativity. I thought the performance was great. What more do you want, some washed up band from the 90s covering the song? Someone YOU are familiar with because if you aren't familiar with them they probably suck?

I think it's wonderful that a performer such as Robin Pecknold, who has lead one of the better, more unique bands of the last 10 years, is taking a shot at it and making it his own. It shows the younger generation, who are into good music, that maybe Pearl Jam sings some songs other than Evenflow.

But please, by all means, continue fussing about whether someone is going to light up a cig at shows or how the Charlottesville crowd is going to be because it's in a college town. Jesus.

*Rant over* :)

AGREED!

This cover wasn't bad, its no Pearl Jam but it was worth the 5 minutes of my life
  • Options
    JM44800JM44800 Posts: 106
    I thought it was really cool. It's a cover by another great artist, not a tribute band where they have to play it exactly as the original artist did.

Also, for those that don't know about Fleet Foxes, they are a Seattle band and Robin Pecknold grew up in Seattle. I am sure he was a big fan of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana and many more from that area growing up.
  • Options
    pearlhawkpearlhawk Posts: 631
    Just horrible. Horrible.
    -Pearlhawk.

Kansas City 5/3/2010
    St. Louis 5/4/2010
    St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo)
    East Troy 9/3/2011
    East Troy 9/4/2011
    Wrigley Field 7/19/2013
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Not the best cover... BUT, not only is Robin from Fleet Foxes amazing, but Daniel Rossen of Grizzly Bear on guitar... I sort of wish he would covered this alone... He has the best voice in indie rock and is also one of the best song writers too. Cool to see him and Robin cover PJ. (Fleet and Grizzly Bear are my two fav indie bands)
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Enjoyed it.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    My freakin' ears are bleeding. That was flat and emotionless. Then they tried to add emotion with the solo at the end and it was too late.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    i guess it was okay, but i was too distracted by the people in the back. how awkward! never understood why the show has them there in the first place. dude with the beard sitting down was cute tho. :P wished someone would have at least sang along.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    I think I set my hopes too high for this. Neither night night has been anything I wanted to listen to again but I did enjoy this more than Cornell with the banjos.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    It was nice to see the vinyl make an appearance. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Always weird to hear someone cover one of your favorite songs from your favorite band. That being said, that was awful.

agreed :/
    Porto Alegre '05
    Porto Alegre '11
    Porto Alegre '15
    São Paulo '15
  • Options
    Just reminds me that I was born at the right time and the music I got into as a teenager was exceptionally good.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    thought that was pretty cool.

enjoyed it
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    Very cool to see reputable musicians covering PJ. Overall I thought it was Ok. I did really like the heavy jam at the end. Glad they did their own interpretation of the song. It must be very tough to cover an iconic song like Corduroy.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I liked this performance as well as Cornell's and the Avett bros.

Listening to the Fleet Foxes on the other hand is like reading a book on installing computer software.

I'll be asleep in less than a minute if I do either :lol:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Sometimes it's about song choice. I appreciate different renditions. Let the band take a different approach. But this, not so much. Corduroy needs, well, balls. Not quite sure what they should have chosen. Nothingman? Betterman? (Sticking with Vitalogy) I did like their little jam at the end, though.
  • Options
    The jam at the end saved the performance. Otherwise it would have simply been abysmal.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,849
    Indie rock = no balls.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    I award him no points. And may god have mercy on his soul.
    :lol: great reference, never gets old
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Love Fleet Foxes. No sure if I love Fleet Foxes covering Corduroy. His voice does not do the song justice at all.
  • Options
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Indie rock = no balls.

As compared to what, artists signed to a label?
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    pjradio wrote:
    wasn't feeling it

Yeah me either. Seemed very effortless or something. Sounded weak.

Corduroy is a song that requires a lot of sound and input by more members/instruments. It's a jam song, not a 2 minute pop hit.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    You need more teeth to sing Corduroy. Felt no anger, aggression, passion in the vocals. It was done in the ”Seasons in the Sun” style. This song isn't about rainbows and lollypops.
  • Options
    I will probably get nasty messages but I was not very impressed with Chris Cornell's version of Footsteps either. To me it felt flat. I am a Soundgarden fan too. Unlike Eddie, I feel Chris is much better in Soundgarden than solo. I felt like he put more effort into his tan than the song.