Options

OFFICIAL LB Vinyl Condition Thread

Comments

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    LB arrived yesterday in perfect condition. Spun it last night. Sounded great. Was a little worried but mine sounds perfect. Got here a lot later than I'd have liked but I'm glad I finally am able to spin it and no defects.

Edit - no postcard (not even sure what people are referring to?)
  • Options
    Got mine a few days ago. Everything looks to be in perfect condition. No pops or skips like others have been having but the overall sound quality seems to be really poor. On side A in particular there are a few points where the music noticeably slows to where it sounds like I'm listening to it through molasses. Even though I don't have any rips, gouges, or glue on mine, is this a good enough reason to ask for a replacement or should I just be happy I don't have a mangled copy?
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    KM195039 wrote:
    Got mine a few days ago. Everything looks to be in perfect condition. No pops or skips like others have been having but the overall sound quality seems to be really poor. On side A in particular there are a few points where the music noticeably slows to where it sounds like I'm listening to it through molasses. Even though I don't have any rips, gouges, or glue on mine, is this a good enough reason to ask for a replacement or should I just be happy I don't have a mangled copy?

hmm...well if you really do notice a difference in sound, then you should probably ask for a replacement.
  • Options
    I've been buying the records on vinyl for a while but I feel lame because I don't even own a turntable right now! How am I supposed to find out if mine is wrecked or not??? :? :cry:
    Pepsi Center - Apr 1 '03, Jul 2-3 '06 | Grant Park - Aug 05 '07 | E Center - Sep 28 '09 | Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 27 '09 | Sprint Center May 3 '10 | Scottrade Center May 4 '10 | Alpine Valley - Sep 3-4, '11 | Wrigley Field - July 19, '13 | Pepsi Center Oct 22, '14
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    I got mine a few minutes ago. I don't even wanna listen to it I'm so f**ckin pissed right now.

All 3 closed ends of the inner sleeve are split, two corners are smashed and there's a big split in the lower end of the outer jacket.

I really wish they would package these a little better than just sticking them in a box...
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    I got my copy in the mail yesterday and the outer cover has a pretty nice dent in the bottom left corner. It's pretty much pushed in. Inner sleeve was in really good condition. The record looked like it was handled by someone who had just eaten something very greasy as there were greasy prints all over. No glue residue or extra material hanging off the actual record like a few stories I have read here. I only made it through the first side and there was popping and a very low volume to the songs compared to any other vinyl that I own. At first glance I thought I may have been one of the lucky ones who got a really good copy until I saw the prints and it hit the turntable. I will play the other side tonight and check the quality. I was too frustrated last night to even finish it. Off to send the replacement email...
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    I've been buying the records on vinyl for a while but I feel lame because I don't even own a turntable right now! How am I supposed to find out if mine is wrecked or not??? :? :cry:

A lot of local libraries have turntables still. You can at least check it there.

Otherwise, some local record stores have turntables handy so people can listen to the used vinyl to see how it plays.

Or, you know...it might be time to buy a turntable. :)
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    MedozK wrote:
    Checked the tracking for my vinyl today for the first time....and it said it was delivered on Monday. :?

Needless to say....I NEVER GOT IT !!

DAMN!! Have no idea what to do now....very upset :|
    Email 10C about that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Still waiting to receive.
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    choop wrote:
    mikerl wrote:
    i will say this... obviously there are lots of issues here with manufacturing... HOWEVER, on the part of the bands decision making, this album REALLY should be a double LP. I have VERY FEW old LP's where the grooves are so tightly packed together... the reason the album is not as loud as others is not a flaw in the manufacturing, it is a side effect of putting too much material on each album side.

I imagine they wanted to save on costs by sticking with one LP, but really, couldn't you just push the added cost on to the customer? i would gladly pay another $10 for this record in a 2 LP version.

These days, the only people listening to Vinyl are people who REALLY care about the sound quality, so why cram it all onto one LP and compromise that?

i 100% agree with this. i've been contemplating sending in a customer service claim to get a re-press, but my only issue is the volume level. package came in great shape and i have no skips. i don't see how they improve the volume level on a re-press, but i guess you never know.

I don't think you will get more volume with a repress. This should be on 2 LP's. Once I get my replacement I will listen and love it, but there is no way it will sound as good as it can with this much music on one album.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    mikerl wrote:
    choop wrote:
    mikerl wrote:
    i will say this... obviously there are lots of issues here with manufacturing... HOWEVER, on the part of the bands decision making, this album REALLY should be a double LP. I have VERY FEW old LP's where the grooves are so tightly packed together... the reason the album is not as loud as others is not a flaw in the manufacturing, it is a side effect of putting too much material on each album side.

I imagine they wanted to save on costs by sticking with one LP, but really, couldn't you just push the added cost on to the customer? i would gladly pay another $10 for this record in a 2 LP version.

These days, the only people listening to Vinyl are people who REALLY care about the sound quality, so why cram it all onto one LP and compromise that?

i 100% agree with this. i've been contemplating sending in a customer service claim to get a re-press, but my only issue is the volume level. package came in great shape and i have no skips. i don't see how they improve the volume level on a re-press, but i guess you never know.

I don't think you will get more volume with a repress. This should be on 2 LP's. Once I get my replacement I will listen and love it, but there is no way it will sound as good as it can with this much music on one album.
    I'm not buying this theory for a second, no offense. I have plenty of full length albums that are on a single LP and they sound really good. I.e. Blunderbuss, Ballad of Boogie Christ, just got 2 Tragically Hip MOV reissues that are both single LPs and sound great... and so on and so on. If my LB albums are really quiet I was be requesting a replacement. There is NO reason they should be that way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Decided to spin again because well I have it might as well attempt to listen. Now for some reason it's skipping during songs.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    just it got yesterday everything looked perfect . put it on my tech 1200 with audophile cartridge through my marantz pre amp and vintage BIC speakers and it sounds like garbage . In fact just before i put it on i was listening to a fan recorded you-tube vid from Brooklyn show ( was awesome !! ) and my i-mac sounded much better ! ok time to send e-mail hopefully get it by Christmas
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I really feel sorry for PJ through all of this, it looks really bad for them even though it was just a bad choice in manufacturer.
    How will you redeem yourself PJ ?
    Any ideas for freebees :D
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I'm not buying this theory for a second, no offense. I have plenty of full length albums that are on a single LP and they sound really good. I.e. Blunderbuss, Ballad of Boogie Christ, just got 2 Tragically Hip MOV reissues that are both single LPs and sound great... and so on and so on. If my LB albums are really quiet I was be requesting a replacement. There is NO reason they should be that way.

Yeah, at just a few seconds over 47 minutes, LB pushes the capacity for a single disc 33 1/3 RPM vinyl to sound great but doesn't exceed it. If they'd left off the EV solo number and made the groves a hair thicker it might have sounded better but the problem here is definitely not album length- it's poor choice of manufacture, plain and simple.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MedozK wrote:
    Checked the tracking for my vinyl today for the first time....and it said it was delivered on Monday. :?

Email 10C about that.
    I emailed them. Hopefully I can get a replacement shipped..keeping fingers crossed.
  • Options
    SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,451
    Received my copy today-
    its in really bad shape-
    rips on paper, smudges, fingerprints, glue spots...
  • Options
    DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    JWPearl wrote:

See it's not about getting free stuff it's about making a shit product we bought right.

Don't be a greedy fan.
    My butt itches!
  • Options
    MedozK wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    MedozK wrote:

Email 10C about that.
    I emailed them. Hopefully I can get a replacement shipped..keeping fingers crossed.
    Good luck! Hopefully it's found or replaced quickly! That's kind of weird.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    DURP wrote:
    JWPearl wrote:

See it's not about getting free stuff it's about making a shit product we bought right.

Don't be a greedy fan.

gotta agree there...c'mon!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    Finally received my album yesterday. Purchased through 10c.

The box it came in looked pretty-well handled, so I was a little concerned. Three corners of jacket perfect...one dented in pretty good, like it had been dropped on that corner.

Inner sleeve has a 2 inch tear on one side, but the rest is good.

Vinyl is similar to others. Very dirty...I havn't had a chance to clean or play it yet, but it looks dirty down into the grooves. Fingerprints etc... There are a few tiny black spots on the center label bolt area. Rough edges. I don't see any glue spots, so that is good. Hoping to spin it tonight to hear if there are any playable issues.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Scratch on side A...Getaway skips like crazy
    Smudge on Side B...Penduum & Swallowed Whole skip

Emailed the manufacturer 2-3 days ago & heard back from them yesterday. Replacement lp's are shipping next wk.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JH315JH315 Posts: 7
    Got mine and had issues right away. About halfway into Getaway on side A. Sounds like the general problem many are having.

That said, I emailed 10C right away. Got a response. A couple days later, an email for replacement. Sent me info. They confirmed a replacement is on the way.

Nice job PJ and nice job customer service on getting it sorted quickly.
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    If you actually drop a needle on this record and let it play through the smudges and gunk, be sure and clean that needle afterward.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    Well, I received mine yesterday. Packaging is perfect, no smudges on the vinyl, no skipping. However, the record itself just doesn't sound very good. A lot of pops and cracks for a modern vinyl album. It sounds 30 years old basically. Now, did they say they were going to actually make these things SOUND better overall, or just replace those with obvious defects? This album sounds terrible in comparison to other new vinyl records I've purchased lately (Vault 3, Mad Season, MLB, etc). I feel they should almost go back to the drawing board in regards to the vinyl itself. So I'm hesitant ro request a replacement if it's just going to sound this poor as well. Anyone get specifics as to if they're going to improve the sound quality?
    Kristin
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    I think the replacements we are getting are just another run from URP. Except this time instead of sending them to us in sleeves with bad gluing (which I believe is the cause for alot of the problems - A majority of the problem tracks are Getaway and Pendulum, the first tracks on both sides, which also happen to be the tracks up against the glued seams of the inner sleeve), we will be getting them in a nice polylined sleeve.

I think we'll still see fingerprints or smudges and whatnot, because thats how URP packages, but I think we'll see less pops and glue in grooves. At that point, then people can criticize the mastering for vinyl which I agree is not stellar, but not the worst thing ever.
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    I spent some time carefully and thoroughly cleaning LB on my Nitty Gritty vacuum record cleaning machine, and was actually able to get MOST of the grime and prints off.

The main issue with mine is little "pin-size" dents throughout the album that when my needle hits them it pops and jumps. It was mostly on Getaway and Pendulum. Those are the first tracks on each side, but I don't know how the inner sleeves or a bad glue job could be the cause of the "pin-dents", but who knows.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    I'm sure this has already been covered but if we do want a replacement do we send back the original copy? & to whom? The manufacturer? Thanks
    Kristin
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    SO135039 wrote:
    I'm sure this has already been covered but if we do want a replacement do we send back the original copy? & to whom? The manufacturer? Thanks
    You keep the originals and they send you replacement vinyl. So you can make bowls out of the defective ones if you want. :)
  • Options
    I finally had a chance to open mine today and listen to it! :) I definitely feel like one of the fortunate ones-no skips at all, just a few little pops, and when I can find my cleaning cloth, it should be fine. Listening to LB on vinyl made me again realize why I love vinyl so much-such a warm, organic sound. I'm also enjoying the stickers, and the Future Days postcard! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"