Options

OFFICIAL LB Vinyl Condition Thread

Comments

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    Just got mine today, opened and everything looks good, no slits in the paper, vinyl appeared not to have any glue to problems, I guess it's a little dirty. Gonna break out the record player and spin it later tonight to see if there's any problems.

Did get a future days postcard too.

The only problem I DO see right now is that it ISN'T RED! :mrgreen:
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    nutbarznutbarz Posts: 227
    a5pj wrote:

Guess I got left out on those. No Postcards in either one I got.
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    jlaustin wrote:
    Mine arrived yesterday, but I was afraid to open it. Took the plunge today.

10c edition

Jacket is in pristine condition, love the velvet feel and hand painted look. Love the stickers, booklet, and Infallible post card. :D

Sleeve has one to two inch tear at the bottom, "cut" by the vinyl. :(

Vinyl is black and looks good, except a tiny piece of vinyl sticking out from the very edge (culprit of the sleeve tear?). No smudges or apparent scratches. Labels are centered and in great condition. Unfortunately, I can't play it as our turntable is out of commission at the moment. Hope to play it tomorrow - maybe.

Overall, it is beautifully packaged, hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Got our new turntable today, so finally able to give Lightning Bolt a listen...

Played from beginning to end with no problem. I can't believe it. I almost feel guilty.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Received today. Black, glue and scratches on it, sleeve slit, no post card. Bummer.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    JC8074JC8074 Posts: 127
    Arrived in Portland, OR today. Packaging excellent, but scuffs and light scratches on vinyl, which is fairly warped. Skips and pops on Getaway, heavy pops on My Father's Son, skips and pops during Pendulum. Hoping for a replacement of the vinyl itself at least.
  • Options
    Mine showed up from the 10C and I'm spinning it now. The package was fine. A very minor ding in a corner from shipping, but I can live with that. The record was really dirty and after cleaning there are still obvious scratches on side B. And my side A had a double sticker that was off-set but not as badly as to cover a song but it does cover the lead out grooves so I have to make sure to remove the needle before it gets close to the sticker.

So far every song has some pops with some really loud ones in Getaway and My Father's Son. With the obvious scratches on side B I'm not even going to spin that side.

I did get 2 post cards (both Pendulum) so that was something at least...
  • Options
    Just got my 10C version.

No postcard but did get the download card. Outer sleeve is in mint condition. Inner sleeve is perfect. Record has a couple of spots on the edge where excess wasn't trimmed. Labels are correct on each side and centered. Playing through now. Up through sirens not a single issue. Sounds fantastic actually. I also played pendulum first and it was perfect.

If I experience any issues on the rest of playback I will update.

EDIT: a couple of skips on swallowed whole. Also my record looks very warped when playing side b.
    Intelligence is the key and she was locked out

Let's Just Pop a Few Yards of Bubble Wrap and Call It a Day!

Don't Die Wondering

• Options
    a5pj wrote:
    Just got mine today, opened and everything looks good, no slits in the paper, vinyl appeared not to have any glue to problems, I guess it's a little dirty. Gonna break out the record player and spin it later tonight to see if there's any problems.

The only problem I DO see right now is that it ISN'T RED! :mrgreen:

Just finished playing though it, no pops, hisses, or skips. Just normal vinyl sound. Guess I'm a lucky one.

• Options
    Anyone else notice that you can turn the vinyl sleeve around and have a red or blue eye. Just saw it putting my vinyl away, think it's pretty sweet, I went with the blue eye haha.

• Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    Received mine yesterday. Perfect condition for sleeve and vinyl. Played through very nice on my Technics record player.

Had a "Let the Records Play" postcard inside!
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    angiuloangiulo Posts: 27
    Got mine today and I have excessive pops and cracks. Also, skips on Getaway. Still on side A. Sirens pops alot. Not happy at all.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Checked the tracking for my vinyl today for the first time....and it said it was delivered on Monday. :?

Needless to say....I NEVER GOT IT !!

DAMN!! Have no idea what to do now....very upset :|
  • Options
    groovengrooven Posts: 32
    waiting patiently for what I hope is a playable copy. :(

Mine did say delivered on Monday as well, but that was to the Post Office for final delivery. Of course it doesnt matter because that was monday to a post office in GA. (probably a regional drop off)
  • Options
    Got mine today from 10C.

Some minor damage to the spine of the album but nothing too major. Side A played pretty great (just some normal vinyl noise) until I got to Lightning Bolt which had some major pops and then skipped. Flipped over to side B and currently listening to Pendulum which is very noisy. :(
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    anakin_pdx wrote:
    Mine showed up from the 10C and I'm spinning it now. The package was fine. A very minor ding in a corner from shipping, but I can live with that. The record was really dirty and after cleaning there are still obvious scratches on side B. And my side A had a double sticker that was off-set but not as badly as to cover a song but it does cover the lead out grooves so I have to make sure to remove the needle before it gets close to the sticker.

So far every song has some pops with some really loud ones in Getaway and My Father's Son. With the obvious scratches on side B I'm not even going to spin that side.

I did get 2 post cards (both Pendulum) so that was something at least...

So THAT'S where mine went! :lol:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    phaqewphaqew Posts: 18
    I got mine today, 10/23/13

The inside sleeve has some glue smears on it, and also slit on the bottom. slight tear on inside spine, and small crease in upper right hand corner of cover.

The Vinyl is where it starts getting ugly. Side A has pops throughout. When flipped, side b is pretty warped. A big high spot that made my needle bounce when i lowered the cue. There's noticeable glue spots on and near the rim, and what at first looked like a scratch is actually a glue smear all the way through pendulum. its actually hard glue, not gummy. you can feel it.

I've written my email to UMG Customer service, lets see what they do and how quickly and hassle-free they can make this experience.
  • Options
    Still no vinyl, Not planning to open it, just send it back, looking over every detail of the album wasn't part of the deal considering pearl jam once again charged top dollar and went the cheap route like the wrigley t shirts I can't wear because they are of the cheapest quality humanly possible, yet the only place in town selling a $35 t shirt. I will say the highlight of the month is the constitution hall vinyl, very nice and well done. Back to lightning bolt, if you promise the fan club they will get it the day it comes out, and a delay in shipping happens (which can happen) I say you delay the launch of the album, stand up for the fans, keep your promise.... Instead, here I am a week after release waiting for a broken vinyl and am told to contact the manufacturer (who aleady has a poor reputation) for a replacement. I will say 10c customer service is top knotch and they will not hang us out to dry at the end of the day, it's just going to take time and I can't wait to get an extra special (colored) vinyl (signed by the band) as a (picture disc)replacement, it's going to rock!!!!!! and be worth (4 months to reproduce and design)the wait!!!!!

Pj fan
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Ours arrived when we were in Philly, opened it today. I love the packaging, the whole album has a wonderful feel and look to it! The stickers are awesome too :thumbup: Got a regular black copy and a download card for my 10club order.

The vinyl itself doesn't look like something brand new, more like pre-owned. I was trying not to be picky, but yes, it did have a lot of fingerprints and creases all over. And it is low in volume. I played another one right after and had to turn the volume down. Lots of pops and skips throught the record. Major letdown was a big skip on Pendulum :( So yeah, I sent a message to the maker too... Let's see what happens.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    This was at my home when I got back from the Philly show and listened to the entire album. I didn't notice a single pop. I don't have the greatest sound system so I may not be the best judge on vinyl sound. It appeared in fine condition and the packaging was great. I guess I have nothing to complain about except getting it a week late and that it was black. No postcard.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    so, i played mine this morning..

there were a couple small pops in between Getaway and Mind your Manners, and then a couple small pops on the outro of future days.. (SMALL, like "dust on the record" small)

The pops were small, and if i had not taken the time to clean the record before i played it, i would associate them with dust.. There were also a number of bur's around the edge of the record, but this does not effect playback.

the only other issue, is that the sleeve has a tear in the crease on both the left and right side, each one is about 3 inches long.. this will happen in time, i know.. but out of the box?

what do you guys think? this thing is actually in pretty good shape, but with these three small defects, it might be enough for me to ask for a new one.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    Got my second copy in the mail,no postcard, but perfect condition, 2/2 for me.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mikerl wrote:

there were a couple small pops in between Getaway and Mind your Manners, and then a couple small pops on the outro of future days.. (SMALL, like "dust on the record" small)

The pops were small, and if i had not taken the time to clean the record before i played it, i would associate them with dust.. There were also a number of bur's around the edge of the record, but this does not effect playback.

the only other issue, is that the sleeve has a tear in the crease on both the left and right side, each one is about 3 inches long.. this will happen in time, i know.. but out of the box?

what do you guys think? this thing is actually in pretty good shape, but with these three small defects, it might be enough for me to ask for a new one.

If you bought it used, absolutely not, but since what you purchased was a brand-new sealed record, I'd say that this condition is unacceptable.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Got my record in the mail on Monday, listened to it yesterday.

Purchased from the tenclub

Cover has a small tear in the outer edge on top and a small white line near the top right corner. But overall I don't have much issue with the cover, the flaws are pretty petty to me.

Sleeve has no flaws, nor does the booklet or sticker sheet.

The record had some visible markings/flaws on it. Getaway skips and pops badly in the middle of the song, pendulum also has some skipping and pops during it. There were also some loud pops thoughout the record. I did clean the record. I also emailed the company like the 10c told us to. Ill just listen to the digital copy for now. Don't really have too much time to listen to listen to the record anyway, but glad to see the issue was acknowledged.

It did include a download card and a lightning bolt postcard.
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    finally got mine (after going from seattle to la to seattle to portland!).

package is perfect, vinyl looks great. will spin shortly.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    i will say this... obviously there are lots of issues here with manufacturing... HOWEVER, on the part of the bands decision making, this album REALLY should be a double LP. I have VERY FEW old LP's where the grooves are so tightly packed together... the reason the album is not as loud as others is not a flaw in the manufacturing, it is a side effect of putting too much material on each album side.

I imagine they wanted to save on costs by sticking with one LP, but really, couldn't you just push the added cost on to the customer? i would gladly pay another $10 for this record in a 2 LP version.

These days, the only people listening to Vinyl are people who REALLY care about the sound quality, so why cram it all onto one LP and compromise that?
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    I received an email back from UM Music regarding my vinyl issues asking for my shipping address. They also stated that they will respond with more information later. Sounds like they are starting to move through the emails.
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    RP112579 wrote:
    Received mine in the Chicago suburbs today. Jacket and sleeve are in great shape, which was surprising considering the journey it went on. As for the vinyl, it kept skipping in the same place about 30-45 seconds into Getaway. Went to Mind Your Manners and have had no issues through the rest of side A. I'm just about to flip it over to side B.

Listened to side B. Bad popping during the beginning of Pendulum, then skipped in the same place over and over. Rest of the side was fine. Getaway and Pendulum were my issues. After looking at the record closely, there is a substance that's hard on both sides where those songs are (possibly glue?). You can actually see the substance in the pic I took. Roughly 10 o'clock on side A. The substance on side B is directly behind the side A substance. Needless to say, I'll be asking for a new record.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20159059@N03/10449094973/

Posted these 2 posts in a different thread yesterday. This thread is a better thread for them to be in.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    monkeypimp wrote:
    I received an email back from UM Music regarding my vinyl issues asking for my shipping address. They also stated that they will respond with more information later. Sounds like they are starting to move through the emails.

I did as well.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    mikerl wrote:
    i will say this... obviously there are lots of issues here with manufacturing... HOWEVER, on the part of the bands decision making, this album REALLY should be a double LP. I have VERY FEW old LP's where the grooves are so tightly packed together... the reason the album is not as loud as others is not a flaw in the manufacturing, it is a side effect of putting too much material on each album side.

I imagine they wanted to save on costs by sticking with one LP, but really, couldn't you just push the added cost on to the customer? i would gladly pay another $10 for this record in a 2 LP version.

These days, the only people listening to Vinyl are people who REALLY care about the sound quality, so why cram it all onto one LP and compromise that?

i 100% agree with this. i've been contemplating sending in a customer service claim to get a re-press, but my only issue is the volume level. package came in great shape and i have no skips. i don't see how they improve the volume level on a re-press, but i guess you never know.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,269
    dankind wrote:
    mikerl wrote:

If you bought it used, absolutely not, but since what you purchased was a brand-new sealed record, I'd say that this condition is unacceptable.

I've noticed a few records lately that ship the records in cheap standard sleeves, and don't put the records in the custom sleeves. You manually do it when you open the package. This way they don't vibrate through the custom artwork sleeves during the shipping process. Seems like a good idea. Put the records in extra useless sleeves and that keeps the real one safe.

The other ones is when the packing is so loose the record really takes a trip and tries to escape out the top (or bottom) of the actual packagine. My Into the Wild and AIC Sap/Jar of Flies have gashes in the top from the record shifting around.... I haven't seen it that bad in a while though. I guess people pack vinyl better these days.