Options

Pearl Jam WEEK on Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• Options
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    releaseNY wrote:

So Ed will also be a guest?

yup! He was def on the couch too
  • Options
    narnianarnia Posts: 635
    Pearl Joe wrote:
    releaseNY wrote:

Was he on the couch last night? The only video I could find online was Sirens.
    I escaped it...a life wasted...I'm never going back again
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    narnia wrote:
    Pearl Joe wrote:
    releaseNY wrote:

Was he on the couch last night? The only video I could find online was Sirens.
    No, last night guests were Ed Norton and Judd Apatow. Wow, sounds like Ed's the guest on tonight's episode. Awesome!
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 236
    Loved the fact that Ed had the "21" sticker on his acoustic guitar commemorating his trip to the Roberto Clemente museum when he was in Pittsburgh. Very cool.
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    Tora74Tora74 Posts: 107
    Awesome performance by the guys :clap::clap::clap::clap:

What was on Ed's shirt in the end? He wanted everyone to see it I am sure since he opened up his jacket to show it.

PEACE!!!
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    3.29.94 St. Pete, FL
    9.21.12 Pensacola, FL
    11.1.13 New Orleans, LA
    10.14.14 Memphis, TN
    4.13.16 Jacksonville, FL
    EV 11.21.12 Memphis, TN
    EV 11.28.12 Orlando, FL
  • Options
    Tora74 wrote:

What was on Ed's shirt in the end? He wanted everyone to see it I am sure since he opened up his jacket to show it.

PEACE!!!

His shirt said "Tramps Like Us, Baby We Were Born To Run". :lol:
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    onemorshow wrote:
    Tora74 wrote:

PEACE!!!

His shirt said "Tramps Like Us, Baby We Were Born To Run". :lol:
    Fantastic, that was the same shirt he wore in Buffalo
  • Options
    Tora74Tora74 Posts: 107
    Ah cool shirt love it!

Can't wait to see them tonight too!

PEACE!!!
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    3.29.94 St. Pete, FL
    9.21.12 Pensacola, FL
    11.1.13 New Orleans, LA
    10.14.14 Memphis, TN
    4.13.16 Jacksonville, FL
    EV 11.21.12 Memphis, TN
    EV 11.28.12 Orlando, FL
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Was so excited to watch them but found out beforehand it was that God awful song so couldn't watch. Hopefully tonight they bring the rock.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    They all looked great and everything.... I actually thought that Ed's voice seemed a little bit strained, like maybe it was sore. But I was pretty hungover ( :oops: Yes, still, at 10:00 at night - Wednesday night was a blast!! :lol: ), so maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    They all looked great and everything.... I actually thought that Ed's voice seemed a little bit strained, like maybe it was sore. But I was pretty hungover ( :oops: Yes, still, at 10:00 at night - Wednesday night was a blast!! :lol: ), so maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me.

my thought, along those lines, what that the mix sucked. Ed's voice was way on top, along with the drums, while the guitars/bass/keys were pretty hard to hear.. i think with a slightly better mix, the strain of eds voice would be less noticeable, its remarkable what a proper balance will do to the way the performance comes across.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    mikerl wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

my thought, along those lines, what that the mix sucked. Ed's voice was way on top, along with the drums, while the guitars/bass/keys were pretty hard to hear.. i think with a slightly better mix, the strain of eds voice would be less noticeable, its remarkable what a proper balance will do to the way the performance comes across.
    Maybe that's it.... something definitely seemed a little off.
    I have come to like Sirens a lot more than I did at first though, and I wasn't even trying to like it. I am glad to hear it now. So I'm pretty happy about that. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    mikerl wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Thats what i thought, Ed's vocals were right volume but rest of band were really quiet, Ed was a bit shakey at the beginning and felt like he was fighting all the time with the song, Stone missed a few key notes, - I didn't enjoy that performance, probably one of the worst I've seen them do on TV.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    Watched it again. Yea, that wasn't so hot. :(
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    Sometimes a not perfect technical performance played with feel and emotion is better than a perfect technical performance. This is basically what I saw last night. I'll take emotion/feel/energy over a flawless technical performance every day of the weak. I've seen a lot of fantastic musicians who suck live because the energy or beauty just isn't there. On the flip side i've seen a lot of average musicians who play with passion and are fucking awesome live. Sirens is not an easy song to play or sing, but ended up beautiful nonetheless. :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Sometimes a not perfect technical performance played with feel and emotion is better than a perfect technical performance. This is basically what I saw last night. I'll take emotion/feel/energy over a flawless technical performance every day of the weak. I've seen a lot of fantastic musicians who suck live because the energy or beauty just isn't there. On the flip side i've seen a lot of average musicians who play with passion and are fucking awesome live. Sirens is not an easy song to play or sing, but ended up beautiful nonetheless. :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:
    I agree with you! .... I don't really feel like it quite applies in this case - I felt that EV seemed kind of distracted - but I agree with you in a general sense. :)
  • Options
    I just thought it was interesting that Ed wasn't wearing his wedding ring..........not common for him not to be wearing it...anyone else notice this?
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    I just thought it was interesting that Ed wasn't wearing his wedding ring..........not common for him not to be wearing it...anyone else notice this?
    I did not..... Definitely not something to start speculating about here though! The thread would get locked. ;)
  • Options
    I'm not speculating anything...just making an observation ;)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    I'm not speculating anything...just making an observation ;)
    I know, sorry, I didn't mean to say you were. Just in case someone did. :)
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Wait until tonight. If you were not happy with Thursday, all will be redeemed!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    Lack of ring = None of my business ;)
    Nelluc and Kcalb
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Abe Froman wrote:
    I agree with you! .... I don't really feel like it quite applies in this case - I felt that EV seemed kind of distracted - but I agree with you in a general sense. :)

Yeah - I think those TV performances can be dicey for the band, just such a weird listening environment to hear your own voice, your bandmates, etc - especially when you're in the midst of a bunch of arena shows, and that's what you're getting accustomed to -

And that feeling definitely shows up in some distraction/frustration in the artists' faces sometimes - I felt like they were fighting the mix, fighting to get the song in the sweet spot, and it definitely seemed to get stronger from the solo toward the end...

Wonder why Mike was singing backup instead of Matt? (forgive me if somebody already addressed this)
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    mikerl wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Maybe that's it.... something definitely seemed a little off.
    I have come to like Sirens a lot more than I did at first though, and I wasn't even trying to like it. I am glad to hear it now. So I'm pretty happy about that. :)

"I have come to like Sirens a lot more than I did at first though"

Same here. Seeing the live version on Fallon was moving. My initial dislike of Sirens melts away. :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Anyone have a MP3 of Corduroy by Pecknold?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Hmmm... I like the idea of these PJ covers, but they didn't really take the songs to any new place, imo. I liked the Cornell cover the best of the three, and that was all due to his delivery.

I was thinking more about who I'd like to see cover a PJ song. Heart came to mind - covering Once, or Why Go. I'd love to hear Tori Amos sing Betterman, Nothingman, Indifference or Immortality. Alicia Keys could really do something interesting to just about anything, but Release, Wishlist, Black, Faithfull, and I am Mine come to mind right away.

During PJ's performance I noticed the pretty guitars - Mike's and Jeff's bass in particular. Ed seemed to be having a great time after they finished Sirens - bouncing around and dancing with Judd Apatow - LOL. Hopefully they got a bit looser for song #2 tonight. I assume it will be Mind Your Manners, but I'm hoping it will be Pendulum, Getaway or Infallible for a nice surprise.
  • Options
    Ed's eyes looked really really glossy to me, distracting even....any thoughts?
  • Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    I have the first night on my DVR but haven't had the heart to watch yet. On Thursday, my friend and I left my house at 2:30AM to catch a bus into New York to try for stand by tickets. We waited outside the studio in the freezing cold and got to be stand-by #14 and #15. After talking to employees at the show all day, they told us we were pretty much a lock to get into the taping with the numbers we had. Turns out they were all wrong and they only took the first 6 people in. I understand I took a risk by going, but it sucked to be told all day that you would be that close to Pearl Jam and then have it not work out. With my crappy 10 Club number, this was probably my only shot to be that close, even if it was only for one song.

What sucked the most though was coming home to find out that some fans got to meet Matt (my favorite) and Mike outside of the studio right after I had left. :cry:
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2