Options

Pearl Jam WEEK on Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    ok, i knew ahead of time what CC and Pecknold were playing, but i have no idea what Dierks Bentley is playing (god help us...). anybody?

cheers

They're playing 'Alive' with The Roots.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,207
    uglybabo wrote:
    ok, i knew ahead of time what CC and Pecknold were playing, but i have no idea what Dierks Bentley is playing (god help us...). anybody?

cheers

They're playing 'Alive' with The Roots.

And Mike no? He's a really popular country singer. His original stuff sucks just like all country music now days does but his voice itself isn't bad, paired with the Roots and Mike it should be pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Loved hearing Cornell's voice on Footsteps :thumbup:

Robin Pecknold's enunciated angst-lacking performance was not appropriate for a song like Corduroy.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,648
    COuldn't make it through the alive video - that was not good besides MM.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Alive- Dierks Bentley, McCready, and The Roots. I actually kinda liked it...always interesting to hear someone else's take on a PJ song. Mike's solo on Alive never gets old...fucking rocks!

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... ady-alive/
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    Monday: 8 out of 10
    Tuesday: 3 out of 10
    Wednesday: 2 out of 10

Lets hope the band doesn't fuck up on Thursday.
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    edited October 2013
    The Alive performance was....ok. It might be that "Alive" is a cover that should be avoided perhaps. Hey, I give him credit though, pretty balls out to attempt it. I think it would have been better to do a more obscure song.
    Post edited by Walking the miles on
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think these last two nights show that it's pretty hard to cover pj vocally ... i think if other artists are gonna cover pj - they are gonna have to do separate arrangements to best suit their talents ... this straight on cover is hard if you don't have the vocals to match ...
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    tough crowd! I thought it was a great cover, and MMc was on fire...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,395
    I thought Chris Cornell's cover of Footsteps was beautiful.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    This week has been a fun ride b/t Pearl Jam week on Fallon and PJ's songs scattered about the World Series. Only thing that could top it would be the Braves playing instead of the Cards :corn: Big Papi is the man.

Mon: It was a no-brainer that Cornell would be magnificent on Footsteps. Loved the sound of the banjo on it. Wish that somehow the Avetts could have harmonized w/ CC on vocals and been more involved w/ the song.

Tues: Pecknold and company were awesome. Really appreciated the flavor he added to the song and a perfect choice considering his own somewhat-new exposure to fame/media/etc.

Wed: What can I say.....it was fun. Fun like watching a good karaoke performance. Mike and the Roots were spot on but Dierks seemed out of his league trying to match the intensity of the song.

Thurs/Fri: :D
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    Wednesday for me was more like Mike McCready and The Roots doing Pearl Jam's "Alive" (with some other guy singing). I thought it was a fun performance. The Roots looked like they were having a fucking blast rocking out with McCready! Dierks Bentley did fine. Im glad he didn't try to do more with his vocals. He just sorta sang the song in his range and rocked out with the a bunch of kick ass musicians.
  • Options
    Walking the milesWalking the miles Toronto Posts: 548
    jjflash wrote:
    Wed: What can I say.....it was fun. Fun like watching a good karaoke performance. Mike and the Roots were spot on but Dierks seemed out of his league trying to match the intensity of the song.

Thurs/Fri: :D

Nailed it, bang on jj!
    "Feel the path of everyday....which road you taking?"

Barrie, ON '98
    Toronto, ON '00/'03/'06/'09/'11/'16(x2)
    Hamilton, ON '05/'11
    Newark, NJ '10
    London, ON '13
    Buffalo, NY '13
    Detroit, MI '14
    Ottawa, ON '16
  • Options
    This might have been said already, I didn't read through the whole thread but outside of Cornell this has been very disappointing. I think it's awesome of Jimmy Fallon to dedicate an entire week to Pearl Jam but man, tue-wed performances sucked!

Tonight and tomorrow however I have a funny feeling will be just a little bit better 8-)
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Options
    We thinking getaway gets debuted love today? Or something like Lightning Bolt
    New Jersey - Jun 01, 2006
    Philly - Oct 28, 2009
    Philly - Oct 31, 2009
    New Jersey - May 18, 2010
    NYC - May 21, 2010
    Brooklyn - October 18, 2013
    Brooklyn - October 19, 2013
    Hartford - October 25, 2013
  • Options
    Mrs_Eddie_VedderMrs_Eddie_Vedder Boston, MA Posts: 75
    MB166234 wrote:
    Loved hearing Cornell's voice on Footsteps :thumbup:

Robin Pecknold's enunciated angst-lacking performance was not appropriate for a song like Corduroy.

Agreed and agreeeed.

I keep replaying the Cornell performance, I've had Footsteps in my head for days now! Cannot wait for tonight/Fridays episodes
    June 16, 2011 - EV in Boston
    September 2, 2012 - Made In America
    October 15, 2013 - Worcester I
    October 16, 2013 - Worcester II
    October 25, 2013 - Hartford
    June 12, 2016 - Bonnaroo
    August 5, 2016 - Fenway I
    August 7, 2016 - Fenway II
    September 25, 2016 - EV in NYC
  • Options
    I loved this entire week. Those of you that are disappointed will never be happy.

There is a reason these guys that covered aren't Pearl Jam. I look at it as an homage to the band and the facts that these guys stepped up and covered another bands song was awesome all in itself. So what, that it didn't sound exactly like PJ, it wasn't meant to be.

Fallon is awesome and I appreciate anytime this band is given the spotlight like this.
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    "lol... @EdwardNorton & @JuddApatow have NOTHING to promote on @LateNightJimmy. only became guests because @PearlJam from 8 feet away #Im2."....QuestLoves Twitter feed
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 310
    Just saw a picture of twitter of them performing. Mike has an acoustic guitar so i assume one song is sirens. REALLY hope the other is GETAWAY. PLEASE show the world how awesome this song is!!!!
  • Options
    I spent the day desparately trying to get into these tapings... to no avail. But had a blast doing it, hanging with other fans, etc.

I knew for a while I'd be in NYC between Philly and Hartford shows, but didn't plan ahead enough to get reserved tickets. So I got there as quick as I could this morning and got standby ticket #76 for the early taping and standby #54 for the late taping.

A PJ fan I met at 30 Rock had showed up at 9AM and was able to get a ticket to the first taping. AND he got to be on "Jimmys Band Bench," the elevated platform that fans are on during music performances. Seems amazingly lucky! I spoke to him briefly as he was leaving following the first taping. He was nearly in tears with joy. Said it was "life changing." It sounds like they only played the one song for that first taping (Which airs tonight... PM me if you want to know... I'll keep this post spoiler-free). I have no idea what they played for the second taping (Friday nights episode).

I was able to attend Jimmys monologue rehearsal in the afternoon, hoping to catch part of a sound check or at least see Matt's kit.... but no.

I lined up with others with standby tickets prior to both tapings and didn't make it in.

I did meet a nice girl wearing a Hockey Talkter Records T shirt (black with the white letters and helicopter). I recognized it as being one that Mike wore on stage earlier this week (Philly 2 I think). I asked her where she got it and got to hear her amazing story about how Mike McF*ckingCready gave her that very shirt off his back. :shock: Lucky lady.

So although I didn't get to see the band, I had a pretty interesting day in the city! I'm getting 6 shows this year, so I feel lucky enough already. Enjoy Fallon tonight! :D
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21 * St Louis 9/18/22 * Denver 9/22/22 * St Paul 8/31/23
  • Options

There is a reason these guys that covered aren't Pearl Jam. I look at it as an homage to the band and the facts that these guys stepped up and covered another bands song was awesome all in itself. So what, that it didn't sound exactly like PJ, it wasn't meant to be.

Fallon is awesome and I appreciate anytime this band is given the spotlight like this.

I agree. And I thought Wed night was the best of the covers. Of course Mike was incredible. Captain Kirk Douglas from The Roots rocked Stone's part, the keyboards added a nice sounds, and the whole band looked like were having an awesome time. No one can replicate the passion and quality of Ed's voice, but high-five to all 3 singers for a great effort.

I really hope Getaway is played this week; I think that song has the biggest hit potential.
  • Options
    mitchmuhs wrote:
    I have no idea what they played for the second taping (Friday nights episode).

Oh I know... I know! Just got back from the second taping... But I won't say either. Going to be odd being in Hartford tomorrow while I was supposedly sitting in NYC at Fallon!

They rocked - be sure to tune in!
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    Fallon is unwatchable. Between him and olberman, i think ill take the lunesta.
  • Options
    The performance tonight is now online - and it kicks ass!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I have already started that I'm not a fan of fallon's show, but that egg roulette thing with ed Norton was hilarious.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    Fucking awesome! Norton! Apatow! And Pearl Jam! They sounded fucking great. Love the emotion of Sirens. They sound "real". Cool how much love Ed Norton and Judd Apatow gave Pearl Jam. I'm already excited about tomorrow's performance.
  • Options
    releaseNYreleaseNY In my private universe Posts: 153
    At the end of the show the wording for tomorrow night's guests read "Javier Bardem. Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam."

So Ed will also be a guest?

Or if nothing else, having just Javier leaves room for more. . .
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    releaseNY wrote:
    At the end of the show the wording for tomorrow night's guests read "Javier Bardem. Eddie Vedder. Pearl Jam."

So Ed will also be a guest?

Or if nothing else, having just Javier leaves room for more. . .
    Yes, that definitely means that Eddie's going to be a guest. Jimmy also mentioned earlier in the week that he'd be talking with him. That's awesome!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”